WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HUGE PROBLEM ON THE ISLAND - POLICE, FIRE ETC

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Stepped hull V will bite you really quick. Could also be a broken drive but odds are probable it was the steps.

Doesn't matter much but sad someone lost their life. RIP to the deceased.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Stepped hull V will bite you really quick. Could also be a broken drive but odds are probable it was the steps.

Doesn't matter much but sad someone lost their life. RIP to the deceased.

The odds are probably that we don't know what happened because none of us were there.

Swerve to miss a jetski? Maybe drove the boat incorrectly in a turn, and it pitched them? Could be as simple as having a bunch of rollers from the wind and having them hitting the boat at just the wrong angle to simulate unloading the front or rear surfaces enough to create a situation? Could have been a drive locked up.. who knows.

What we do know though is a Lanyard would have gone a long ways in this situation.. and had the guy not been drinking he'd likely have zero repercussions, but because he was drinking he's fucked for life now. His insurance is going to tell him he's on his own (guaranteed) That in itself is a pretty huge lesson on liability.

RD

hallett21

Reaction score
The odds are probably that we don't know what happened because none of us were there.

Swerve to miss a jetski? Maybe drove the boat incorrectly in a turn, and it pitched them? Could be as simple as having a bunch of rollers from the wind and having them hitting the boat at just the wrong angle to simulate unloading the front or rear surfaces enough to create a situation? Could have been a drive locked up.. who knows.

What we do know though is a Lanyard would have gone a long ways in this situation.. and had the guy not been drinking he'd likely have zero repercussions, but because he was drinking he's fucked for life now. His insurance is going to tell him he's on his own (guaranteed) That in itself is a pretty huge lesson on liability.

RD

Very well said.

X2 on the lanyard. These situations are terrible but everyone should learn from them so these accidents aren't repeated.

chaser

Reaction score

RD

And that does not
include lawyer fees

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

RD

I was only going off of catastrophic failure scenarios. I think we agree more than we disagree and are probably arguing the same point, alcohol didn't help.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I was only going off of catastrophic failure scenarios. I think we agree more than we disagree and are probably arguing the same point, alcohol didn't help.

I wasn't there so I can't say that it played any part in the actual incident.. but I can say without a shadow of a doubt it's gonna be the key factor in the liability after the incident.. with two deaths this guy is fucked on every angle. He can't argue that the boat did this or that because any lawyer will just say "you were drunk". And that quite literally trumps anything the guy can say.

cofooter

Reaction score
Few beers I would agree with you, hammered no excuse.......

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

RD
Sadly, "pretty huge" is an understatement.
I wasn't there so I can't say that it played any part in the actual incident.. but I can say without a shadow of a doubt it's gonna be the key factor in the liability after the incident.. with two deaths this guy is fucked on every angle. He can't argue that the boat did this or that because any lawyer will just say "you were drunk". And that quite literally trumps anything the guy can say.
This^^^^;;

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
One of the witnesses on fb said the boat was making hard turns and spinning out... maybe having fun and lost it. I've seen people roll in the desert like that a few times. Just a post I read though and I'm not even sure if it's there anymore. I'm sure the police know more of what actually happened if the driver is cooperating

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
One of the witnesses on fb said the boat was making hard turns and spinning out... maybe having fun and lost it. I've seen people roll in the desert like that a few times. Just a post I read though and I'm not even sure if it's there anymore. I'm sure the police know more of what actually happened if the driver is cooperating

I can't imagine someone in a 35' twin step vee just out there spinning it out for fun. This isn't a jet ski or a tournament boat.. that is a big bitch to be doing that kind of stuff.

I would seriously doubt the validity of whomever wrote that. It would be sketchy as fuck and if you didn't it once on accident I promise you would Never want to do it again..

Who knows though nothing surprises me anymore.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I can't imagine someone in a 35' twin step vee just out there spinning it out for fun. This isn't a jet ski or a tournament boat.. that is a big bitch to be doing that kind of stuff.

I would seriously doubt the validity of whomever wrote that. It would be sketchy as fuck and if you didn't it once on accident I promise you would Never want to do it again..

I agree I find it hard to believe too. Drinking doesn't always lead to the best ideas though. Maybe something did cause him to do an evasive type maneuver. Water was busy. I almost got plowed by a toon in front of Windsor. Had I not slammed the throttle he would have t boned me. I honestly don't even think he saw me even after he barely missed me. He was arguing w the lady passenger.

Raffit78

Reaction score

Maybe after the passengers and driver were ejected.

Just a bad deal all around.

I must say the wind and water on Saturday was bad. From the mouth of the river to the channel was a 10-12 mph in my wakeboat. This was around 6:00 pm. Had all my passengers in the back with bow way up plowing.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I agree I find it hard to believe too. Drinking doesn't always lead to the best ideas though. Maybe something did cause him to do an evasive type maneuver. Water was busy. I almost got plowed by a toon in front of Windsor. Had I not slammed the throttle he would have t boned me. I honestly don't even think he saw me even after he barely missed me. He was arguing w the lady passenger.

What were you floating or something?

Raffit78

Reaction score
I agree I find it hard to believe too. Drinking doesn't always lead to the best ideas though. Maybe something did cause him to do an invasive type maneuver. Water was busy. I almost got plowed by a toon in front of Windsor. Had I not slammed the throttle he would have t boned me. I honestly don't even think he saw me even after he barely missed me. He was arguing w the lady passenger.

It was extremely busy. While I was fighting the wind and water near Windsor, heading back to the channel, I had an older boat come right across the front of my boat and I didn't even see it. It would have been a bad turn out if I was going 2 mph faster. All I saw was a 9 maybe a 10 year old behind the wheel with 6 other passengers. She wasn't looking right or left and with my bow way up, I didn't see them. I had 0 alcohol.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Not to take attention away from the point at hand or thread jack, but i have an honest question. I have only driven a handful of stepped v bottoms and the largest was a 28 heat so i dont have any real seat time on a stepped v. What is the best manner for a sharp evasive turn? Trim in and back off the throttles so the transom plants in the water?

buck35

Reaction score
I only hope for the best to all involved, drivers life is ruined. Two dead passengers, one can an not even imagine the pain involved here. Prayers to all.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
What were you floating or something?

Bildo turned into Windsor but I was idling for a second to see if he was waiting for someone or pulling the boat out. Right before i killed the engine I saw the pontoon coming at me. Kept getting closer and closer. Finally I gunned it. Had the engine been off he would have nailed me. All my buddies and my brother said the same thing. Wtf dude never even saw us. We swam for a bit then headed back to needles. Probably around 4 or 5

Rbcconst

Reaction score
You never know what happened, how long he has had that boat, what boat he had before or how much seat time in that. That's a lot of boat and motor. Could have pushed one of the trim tabs the wrong way to correct list and sent that boat in to a cork screw. Definitely to much liquid courage could have had him operating that boat above his ability and experience with that boat. A big beast like that needs some respect.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You never know what happened, how long he has had that boat, what boat he had before or how much seat time in that. That's a lot of boat and motor. Could have pushed one of the trim tabs the wrong way to correct list and sent that boat in to a cork screw. Definitely to much liquid courage could have had him operating that boat above his ability and experience with that boat. A big beast like that needs some respect.

Well actually some of that is known. Recently bought it and had a Kachina with twins before it.

But yes for the most part you are right. We don't know levels of experience, inebriation or anything surrounding what actually happened.. it's all just hearsay

milkmoney

Reaction score
There is people that died , which sucks , we all know that. No matter if it was a mechanical failure or a jet ski etc etc involved, the fact is if alcohol is proven in this case, as stated the drivers life is over and he has to live with that.

My thoughts with the deceased family and friends

[emoji202]

JD D05

Reaction score
Sad deal.

I own a Nordic Flame myself. I can't imagine spinning it out and not sure it would be possible without rolling it. Mine drops off plane at around 30mph. This boat feels and is extremely solid and I can see a scenario where you could get really comfortable fast.

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I was out boating on the lake today and when coming back to Thompson bay I could see 3 large gray patrol boats clustered just outside of the bay. Then one of the boats charged toward me with the flashing blue lights, we slowed down and stopped (we were going about 35 mph). They said idle speed until past the boats. I remembered reading about this accident and assumed they were still searching for the body or the boat. They said that Sonar was in use.
Sad deal.

Rotten deal

Reaction score
Even experienced racers spin out and sometimes roll step bottom boats. It's going to happen .some of you may remember the fountain that rolled twice I believe in the havasu race at desert storm about 6 years ago. And I think a cig gladiator has spun and sunk on havasu as well. They must be respected almost like a cat just in different ways. Alcohol if involved like said is where legally it all goes way worse for the operator, as if it could get worse than loosing friends or family. Rip and condolences to the families of the lost

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

Which is exactly why I don't allow alcohol on my boat...ever.

The risks are just too high for my liking. And as you rightly point out, this guy is fucked, six ways from Sunday.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

RD

Pure speculation on my part.......concerning the "possible" jetski.
Last year a fellow member was driving home along rice rd when suddenly the SUV in front of them swerved and rolled off the road. Wife perrished, kids and husband ok. Husband said he thought he saw a car coming at them in his lane. Fact is, there wasn't anyone approaching them.
I've approach Thompson Bay at a good clip adjacent to the body beach area hundreds of times. There have been many times I've had a Ski fly across my bow out of Body Beach and several times it looks like one might do that. It's very conceivable this driver experienced a similar event and reacted with a left tug of the wheel(like SUV driver above). Add wind, speed and bigger water to the equation.
This whole thing is really depressing and overwhelmingly sad. Hopefully it will heighten everyone elses defensive driving and common sense.

C-2

Reaction score
FWIW, years ago when the 35 came out, a safety-conscious and sober member spun his new boat on an AZ lake.

Godspeed to all the parties involved.

WildHorses24

Reaction score
Pure speculation on my part.......concerning the "possible" jetski.
Last year a fellow member was driving home along rice rd when suddenly the SUV in front of them swerved and rolled off the road. Wife perrished, kids and husband ok. Husband said he thought he saw a car coming at them in his lane. Fact is, there wasn't anyone approaching them.
I've approach Thompson Bay at a good clip adjacent to the body beach area hundreds of times. There have been many times I've had a Ski fly across my bow out of Body Beach and several times it looks like one might do that. It's very conceivable this driver experienced a similar event and reacted with a left tug of the wheel(like SUV driver above). Add wind, speed and bigger water to the equation.
This whole thing is really depressing and overwhelmingly sad. Hopefully it will heighten everyone elses defensive driving and common sense.

This. I was anchored in Steamboat about 2hrs before this incident and saw the Nordic across the no mooring lane tied up to 3 other boats.
When we reached Thompson Bay we were running hard, the water was bigger than normal. A Cheetah came up on us and i "had" to show him the 24 was made for big chop! [emoji6] As we approached Body Beach a sit down ski came hauling ass out of control at us (probably a 1/4 mile out) but it felt closer and I backed out. I let the Cheetah pass and gave the jackass a wide birth. I can see where what you are saying might have happened as I was at that spot 1.5 hrs prior... plus add alcohol and low light and speed?? The sad part is I recognized the missing girl from the River Whip pictures they posted, she was dancing on the bow in Steamboat, they all seemed to be having a good time. RIP very sad.

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
31 Years is not a long life here on earth as we know it....:(:(

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I was just watching this video the other day and noticed that the boat involved in the accident was in this video at the 4:25 mark

[video=youtube;5D4XcZykvuI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D4XcZykvuI[/video]

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
So there's new posts on rw this morning. I guess someone talked to the mom and sister of the female. If there's any truth to what's in that post the driver is done. Sad sad deal.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
So there's new posts on rw this morning. I guess someone talked to the mom and sister of the female. If there's any truth to what's in that post the driver is done. Sad sad deal.

For those of us who don't do the Facebook thing, what was said?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
For those of us who don't do the Facebook thing, what was said?

I posted the link. Sounds like the sister and mother are blaming the driver. Saying he was showing off going 80-100 and had been drinking. Says after the crash jeniffer was thrown a life jacket but was in shock and struggling to put it on. Sounds like they lost sight of her in the chaos and that was it.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Still interesting that there is no update if the driver was arrested or not.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I posted the link. Sounds like the sister and mother are blaming the driver. Saying he was showing off going 80-100 and had been drinking. Says after the crash jeniffer was thrown a life jacket but was in shock and struggling to put it on. Sounds like they lost sight of her in the chaos and that was it.

The poster says driver was drunk and showing off.

Oh man that is so sad. So many lives devastated in seconds.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

I can't recall where but I've read posts that he left in handcuffs. The latest news also kind of goes with the other stories I read with high speeds and hard turning to show off. Maybe too much speed and too hard a turn. Running from jack to pirates I was dodging boats and trying to get a clean line. I saw the rock bar coming up really fast and turned hard left. I was driving and expecting it so I was fine boat my two buddies in the back got tossed pretty hard. Hat was at maybe 50. I could only imagine twice the speed.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
http://www.havasunews.com/news/frie...cle_7bf9273c-50ca-11e7-afeb-63d9cdd4ad00.html

Mohave County Sheriff's deputies on Tuesday recovered the second victim in a fatal Saturday boating accident.

After four days of searching, deputies found the remains of Jennifer R. Martin, 31, of Los Angeles, 43 feet below the water?s surface, not far from the location where a boat crashed on Saturday night.

Meanwhile, the boat's driver was identified as Brian H. Simmons, 48, of Hawthorne, California. The accident is still under investigation, but sheriff's officials say alcohol appears to be a factor. Including Simmons and the two victims of Saturday's accident, there were six occupants.

The news about Martin's death hit family and friends hard.

"I'm very saddened and extremely numb," said Nevada resident Lynn Sanders, who said she was a family friend of Martin's. "We all still have our whole lives ahead of us, and to think another one of our (high school's) alumni has fallen short and been taken away from us" she has made an impact on a lot of people. This isn't an easy pill to swallow at all."

Sanders described Martin as "always helpful to others and very loving."

"Jen was really down to Earth," said. "She was a God-fearing woman. Attended church every Sunday with her mother and sisters. She lived life to the fullest and she had a huge heart." Martin was one of a set of triplets; one of her sisters was also on the boat when it crashed.

Immediately following Saturday's accident, Mohave County Sheriff's deputies patrolled a search area one mile wide, from Thompson Bay to Havasu's Body Beach, using side-scanning sonar technology in addition to a radio-controlled submarine to scour the lake bottom for any sign of the victim. They found Martin early Tuesday morning.

"We searched from the first daybreak until nightfall (every day) until today," said Mohave County Sheriff's Department Sgt. Kyler Cox, who was involved in the search. "We located a target with our side-scan sonar, sent our submarine down" the Lake Havasu Police Department assisted, and we were able to recover the body. It was confirmed to be our missing person, Jennifer Martin."

Mohave County divers, with assistance from the Lake Havasu City Police Department, retrieved Martin from Lake Havasu Tuesday morning. According to sheriff's officials, Martin sustained no visible trauma during the accident, yet an autopsy is pending and the investigation remains active.

The fatal, single-vessel accident on Saturday resulted when the 35-foot Nordic twin motor boat attempted a sharp turn at high speed. The boat flipped and ejected its passengers, who were recovered by passing boaters and transported to London Bridge Beach. As a result of the accident, Redondo Beach, Calif.-resident Bruce Buchanan died from an apparent heart attack, sheriff's officials said, and Martin was reported missing.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Heartbreaking.

Mohave County Sheriff's deputies on Tuesday recovered the second victim in a fatal Saturday boating accident.

After four days of searching, deputies found the remains of Jennifer R. Martin, 31, of Los Angeles, 43 feet below the water?s surface, not far from the location where a boat crashed on Saturday night.

Meanwhile, the boat's driver was identified as Brian H. Simmons, 48, of Hawthorne, California. The accident is still under investigation, but sheriff's officials say alcohol appears to be a factor. Including Simmons and the two victims of Saturday's accident, there were six occupants.

The news about Martin's death hit family and friends hard.

"I'm very saddened and extremely numb," said Nevada resident Lynn Sanders, who said she was a family friend of Martin's. "We all still have our whole lives ahead of us, and to think another one of our (high school's) alumni has fallen short and been taken away from us" she has made an impact on a lot of people. This isn't an easy pill to swallow at all."

Sanders described Martin as "always helpful to others and very loving."

"Jen was really down to Earth," said. "She was a God-fearing woman. Attended church every Sunday with her mother and sisters. She lived life to the fullest and she had a huge heart." Martin was one of a set of triplets; one of her sisters was also on the boat when it crashed.

Immediately following Saturday's accident, Mohave County Sheriff's deputies patrolled a search area one mile wide, from Thompson Bay to Havasu's Body Beach, using side-scanning sonar technology in addition to a radio-controlled submarine to scour the lake bottom for any sign of the victim. They found Martin early Tuesday morning.

"We searched from the first daybreak until nightfall (every day) until today," said Mohave County Sheriff's Department Sgt. Kyler Cox, who was involved in the search. "We located a target with our side-scan sonar, sent our submarine down" the Lake Havasu Police Department assisted, and we were able to recover the body. It was confirmed to be our missing person, Jennifer Martin."

Mohave County divers, with assistance from the Lake Havasu City Police Department, retrieved Martin from Lake Havasu Tuesday morning. According to sheriff's officials, Martin sustained no visible trauma during the accident, yet an autopsy is pending and the investigation remains active.

The fatal, single-vessel accident on Saturday resulted when the 35-foot Nordic twin motor boat attempted a sharp turn at high speed. The boat flipped and ejected its passengers, who were recovered by passing boaters and transported to London Bridge Beach. As a result of the accident, Redondo Beach, Calif.-resident Bruce Buchanan died from an apparent heart attack, sheriff's officials said, and Martin was reported missing.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score

I imagine the investigation needs to be complete and facts in place before formal charges are made and a press release is given.

A couple year back, a friend was struck by a bass boat on Lake Conroe north of Houston, and 4 people died on his boat and he spend several months in the hospital with both legs broken severely. The guy driving the other boat was not charged and it took over a month to get to that point. Alcohol was not involved in this tragedy. But no stone was left unturned getting the facts straight.

This Havasu tragedy will likely have some severe repercussions and must be addressed thoroughly prior to charges and they will not rush things.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I imagine the investigation needs to be complete and facts in place before formal charges are made and a press release is given.

A couple year back, a friend was struck by a bass boat on Lake Conroe north of Houston, and 4 people died on his boat and he spend several months in the hospital with both legs broken severely. The guy driving the other boat was not charged and it took over a month to get to that point. Alcohol was not involved in this tragedy. But no stone was left unturned getting the facts straight.

This Havasu tragedy will likely have some severe repercussions and must be addressed thoroughly prior to charges and they will not rush things.

I'm not positive but i think when I was arrested it was on suspicion of DUI. I wasn't charged till later, and didn't start trial till over a year after.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
I keep seeing the news reports saying that the boat "flipped". Yet, others say it ran in circles then ran onshore. Is there another definition of flipped that I don't know about or did this thing not actually flip?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I keep seeing the news reports saying that the boat "flipped". Yet, others say it ran in circles then ran onshore. Is there another definition of flipped that I don't know about or did this thing not actually flip?

I keep reading spun out and I know I should know but I'm not exactly sure what a spinnout is

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I envision a boat going almost on it's side in a severe action to dump the passengers. Could be termed as "flipped" on it's side.....Then righted itself to run on.

"Flipped Over" would mean it went 180 and completely overturned.

Just how I interpret the reports.