WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HUGE PROBLEM ON THE ISLAND - POLICE, FIRE ETC

guest hs

Reaction score
Unbelievable that someone would drive a boat like that. I have been thrown out of two boats in my younger years. Needless to say I don't ride in boats with anyone! I only drive or don't go. Doesn't surprise me the boat has NV #'s on it either.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
When I was younger I had a friend that was 23 with a lot of money big house etc we were all single. We all spent a ton of time at his place etc. One Friday night I showed up and first thing he says is hey jump in my new car lets go for a ride and I say ok. I had no idea he was drunk and willing to drive his new LS1 GTO like that with 100 miles on it. We get in and he starts really getting after it, we get to a straight away in a residential area with new building and go past a parked flatbed at about 110. I said Brent dude slow down but he was totally out of control and had this big stupid grin on his face with a big dip in. He than turns downhill in a neighborhood and accelerates to over 100 tries to make a turn on his street and we wipe out about 20K in landscape and send red GTO parts like fucking confetti all over the neighborhood. Keep in mind this is 2 houses down from his house. My point is I knew I was in trouble but I didn't demand anything I was just trying to be cool. If I had to do it again I would have knocked the mother fucker out at my first chance and walked away.
Someone else brought up self preservation earlier too, why didn't she do anything for herself "just in case" kinda deal.
Your experience alone shows just how easy it is to loose your own fate.
She just as well probably had too much faith, afterall, supposedly he'd been spinning the boat out all day. Possible her faith was out of focus from "having a fun day" partying and dancing in steamboat all day. I don't know, so many possible reasons why or why not.
Plain and simple is the captain is responsible to bring all passengers home safe and sound. Something this guy didn't do.........at all.[emoji22]

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Someone else brought up self preservation earlier too, why didn't she do anything for herself "just in case" kinda deal.
Your experience alone shows just how easy it is to loose your own fate.
She just as well probably had too much faith, afterall, supposedly he'd been spinning the boat out all day. Possible her faith was out of focus from "having a fun day" partying and dancing in steamboat all day.
Plain and simple is the captain is responsible to bring all passengers home safe and sound. Something this guy didn't do.........at all.[emoji22]

There's more to it. Not my place though and I'm sure it will all come out eventually

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
There's more to it. Not my place though and I'm sure it will all come out eventually
Of course more facts will emerge. Right now its raw with speculation, shock, anger and emotions.
To me nothing is factual yet, other than two lives lost. We have some names but who is who most of us don't know. Was the owner even driving? The majority of us do not know real facts, and until then everything else is speculative.

buck35

Reaction score

This just gets more bizarre by the hour.
Couldn't see the video, but I can't imagine anyone trying to swap ends on a boat. At least more than once.:eek

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
When I was younger I had a friend that was 23 with a lot of money big house etc we were all single. We all spent a ton of time at his place etc. One Friday night I showed up and first thing he says is hey jump in my new car lets go for a ride and I say ok. I had no idea he was drunk and willing to drive his new LS1 GTO like that with 100 miles on it. We get in and he starts really getting after it, we get to a straight away in a residential area with new building and go past a parked flatbed at about 110. I said Brent dude slow down but he was totally out of control and had this big stupid grin on his face with a big dip in. He than turns downhill in a neighborhood and accelerates to over 100 tries to make a turn on his street and we wipe out about 20K in landscape and send red GTO parts like fucking confetti all over the neighborhood. Keep in mind this is 2 houses down from his house. My point is I knew I was in trouble but I didn't demand anything I was just trying to be cool. If I had to do it again I would have knocked the mother fucker out at my first chance and walked away.

I had a friend in HS that was an idiot behind the wheel. He wrecked numerous cars and never got hurt. When he came back from Viet Nam he was worse. It was like he had some kind of death wish. I got into a situation with him one night and was crazy scared at how he was driving. We were drinking and when he pulled over to take a leak, I reached over, dropped the car in gear, and ran it into a ditch.

He started going off on me and I just told him I'd walk as far as needed to get back to my car, but I was not riding another foot or allowing him to drive another foot......Frickin' idiot

This clown one time moved a guy's 65 Mustang so another car could leave a late night poker party. He came back in a few minutes later and handed the owner his keys. When the party broke up around daylight, the4 guy says, "Hey Wally, where'd you park my car?" He casually replies down there......Down there was at the bottom of a hill about 40 feet down up against a big tree. Complete idiot thinking it was funny.....:rolleyes:skull

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I had a friend in HS that was an idiot behind the wheel. He wrecked numerous cars and never got hurt. When he came back from Viet Nam he was worse. It was like he had some kind of death wish. I got into a situation with him one night and was crazy scared at how he was driving. We were drinking and when he pulled over to take a leak, I reached over, dropped the car in gear, and ran it into a ditch.

He started going off on me and I just told him I'd walk as far as needed to get back to my car, but I was not riding another foot or allowing him to drive another foot......Frickin' idiot

This clown one time moved a guy's 65 Mustang so another car could leave a late night poker party. He came back in a few minutes later and handed the owner his keys. When the party broke up around daylight, the4 guy says, "Hey Wally, where'd you park my car?" He casually replies down there......Down there was at the bottom of a hill about 40 feet down up against a big tree. Complete idiot thinking it was funny.....:rolleyes:skull

Are you still friends with this moron?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hard to understand anyone still riding with the guy if in fact that video was prior to the crash. One of those sweet pit maneuvers and he would be taking me to the shore for my exit and an ass beating. You couldn't get drunk enough as a passenger for that to feel fun. That video is pretty violent and there is no way all 6 of them stayed in there seats during that. However after the spin it sounded like he pulled back on the throttle. I can't understand anyone continuing to ride in the boat after.

Pretty much.

This just gets more bizarre by the hour.
Couldn't see the video, but I can't imagine anyone trying to swap ends on a boat. At least more than once.:eek

That's what I said before I saw the video.

RD

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Are you still friends with this moron?

Haven't seen him in 40 years.

He moved to AK where the rest of his family lived. Another friend who has had a little contact with him said he's still living but an alcoholic whose DL was taken away years ago.

He had an extremely hard time after Nam. He was infantry and saw the worse part of the deal. I wrote him and his letters back were written in several installments and had mud and what he said was blood on a couple. I believed the blood part as I was told by reliable sources in country that Wally was in a couple high kill firefights.....In HS even with his crazy driving, he was good guy. When he returned from Nam, not so much. But he gets a break to a point from what he went through. He left a lot of himself behind in that mess and never recovered.

cofooter

Reaction score
Just saw this update today.

On 6-10-17 at approximately 2010 hours, The Mohave County Sheriff’s Office, along with several other public safety agencies responded to a report of a single boat crash that occurred in the South Basin of Lake Havasu.

Through investigations, it was determined that the sole boat involved, made a sharp turn causing all six occupants to be ejected into the water. Good Samaritans were able to pull 5 of the boat’s occupants out of the water. One of those that was pulled from the water, Bruce Buchanan 50 years of age from Redondo Beach, CA, was pronounced deceased at a local hospital. The sixth occupant, Jennifer Martin 31 years of age from Los Angeles, CA, was missing for several days. Her body was recovered on 6-13-17 by MCSO Division of Boating Safety personnel on the lake bottom. Speed and alcohol were a factor in this crash.

The Mohave County Attorney’s Office has charged the operator of the boat involved, Brian Simmons 49 years of age from Hawthorne, CA, with two counts of Manslaughter for the death of Jennifer Martin and Bruce Buchanan. He was also charged with three counts of endangerment for the surviving passengers.

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score
Not to take attention away from the point at hand or thread jack, but i have an honest question. I have only driven a handful of stepped v bottoms and the largest was a 28 heat so i dont have any real seat time on a stepped v. What is the best manner for a sharp evasive turn? Trim in and back off the throttles so the transom plants in the water?

This coming from someone who's owned a Nordic 35 for 17 years, and was trained by the late, great, Lonnie Fluent:

Never trim down for any turn. Never do anything that will drop the bow. For a quick evasive turn don't touch the trim, go ahead and steer, and throttling up is ok (it keeps the
energy and the bow up).

In normal driving when you want to slow down for a turn you have to think ahead, drop throttles to slow down, let it settle before starting turn. Again
in a turn you can add throttle since it will keep the bow from dropping.

There have been articles published on step hull handling saying these same things. I'm too lazy to dig up my references.

All the time I have been boating we require life jackets on all occupants any time we are on plane and have always used a lanyard since 2001.

Last edited:

guest hs

Reaction score
I don’t think this dipshit was just making a turn and this happened, he was trying to spin the boat out like a jet boat several times that day on purpose. If he knew these driving tips it wouldn’t have mattered

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I don’t think this dipshit was just making a turn and this happened, he was trying to spin the boat out like a jet boat several times that day on purpose. If he knew these driving tips it wouldn’t have mattered

Yep. Except he didn’t just spin it out once. He spun it out over and over and over like a jet ski, an it eventually tossed people..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cofooter

Reaction score
Exactly, I'm going with speed and alcohol like the article said, oh yeah, and dipshit. What a tragedy.

Kognisjon

Reaction score
After watching the cops position on the point at Thompson Bay, a pontoon boat came towards shore at a fast speed. The cops immediately dragged a guy off and started CPR. We were surprised how long it took the paramedics to get there...