WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hula’s Bahama Adventure

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
View attachment 807518 one of these on the way down... :mad:

What possesses you to think a plane is your living room?

Manners. WTF...

150th trimester abortion is reasonable in some cases, change my mind. :D

WTF is up with people.... On my way back from NZ there was a guy with his heels up on the headrest of the seat in front of him, for the whole damn flight. :rolleyes:

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Sometimes you got say What The Fuck
Yup. Gas is 6 bucks a gallon. It is what it is.

Get ANYTHING here. It's a pita....
Then theres the VAT. The bahamian government has to get their slice.
The govt here is a fucking joke. It's all driven by bribes.

Tank

Reaction score
When you guys got there no signs of anyone taking up camp in your place? Seems like some of the locals may be tempted to take up residence since a lot of homes are gone!

I'm guessing this thread wins the thread of the week contest....Shit, maybe the thread of the month!

Headless hula

Reaction score
It's $8 a gallon in NZ and they didn't even have a hurricane come through :p
Your pics of your recent trip "home" have me wanting to save up for a plane ticket....

Headless hula

Reaction score
Just had a text come through.....
o_O

My phone has been on "airplane mode" since wheels up from fort Lauderdale.

Hope I dont get the international" charges....:eek::eek:

@HydroSkreamin....

Text me via facedork messenger. :D

Headless hula

Reaction score
When you guys got there no signs of anyone taking up camp in your place? Seems like some of the locals may be tempted to take up residence since a lot of homes are gone!

I'm guessing this thread wins the thread of the week contest....Shit, maybe the thread of the month!
Elbow isn't that way. This island is small enough that everyone knows everyone.

Tripleb's wife made reservations for us to stay at the turtle hill villas. Its clean, has running water, and theres power for a couple hours a day...

5 stars! :D

Dont really care about the "thread of the week/month" business. Lol...

Let someone else have a pair of cool cups/t shirts. Lol....:D:D

Headless hula

Reaction score
Did the house and area get storm surge or just beat up by wind/rain/debris?
Its high enough that the surge didn't reach. The windows and doors that were blown open let in enough rain to ruin everything inside it.

Every bed, blanket, pillow, towel, furniture, the interior walls, it's all junk. :oops:

Tank

Reaction score
Elbow isn't that way. This island is small enough that everyone knows everyone.

Tripleb's wife made reservations for us to stay at the turtle hill villas. Its clean, has running water, and theres power for a couple hours a day...

5 stars! :D

Dont really care about the "thread of the week/month" business. Lol...

Let someone else have a pair of cool cups/t shirts. Lol....:D:D
That's good to hear.

Oh, and the thread of the week stuff was a round about way of saying how cool this thread is. Thanks for the pics and updated info!

Headless hula

Reaction score
Theres paint missing in several spots where the sand that was wind blown scoured it away. Literally "sand blasted" gone...

There's siding on the exterior that's sandblasted paper thin.

The paint is gone from the steel roof, the aluminum extruded clad doors and windows.
It'll literally be a "gut it to the studs" project. All the flooring, the cabinets, the windows, siding, roof, etc. No surface is untouched.
It's not that the work is difficult, it's a huge problem getting materials here. Only way is by boat. Then forklift, then from the dock to the house, etc...

Logistically it's a pita....
Itll be very time considering.

Headless hula

Reaction score
That's good to hear.

Oh, and the thread of the week stuff was a round about way of saying how cool this thread is. Thanks for the pics and updated info!
I know bud. More fun than a "tinfoil hat" thread. :eek:

:D:D:D

Headless hula

Reaction score
Ok. Hula out.

Got stuff to do in the a.m.

730 pm here.
Time fo bed man!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Your pics of your recent trip "home" have me wanting to save up for a plane ticket....

Definitely recommend it. On the flip side i've always wanted to check out the Carribean/Bahamas, VI's. Shame about the circumstances you are there under, but the silver lining is that is a trip you will never forget, and that most would never experience. :cool:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Its high enough that the surge didn't reach. The windows and doors that were blown open let in enough rain to ruin everything inside it.

Every bed, blanket, pillow, towel, furniture, the interior walls, it's all junk. :oops:

That is just too bad. I thought by the photos that the interior was not damaged that much. Let me know if you need. Hand I will be on the mainland a few times next year. I can hop on over to do some work.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I have tools, SOME construction experience, pretty proficient with a sledge hammer and love to travel.. just sayin..lol just throwing it out there..lol

buck35

Reaction score
I bet he could assemble a small army of hands on this site alone . On the flip side what do you do with the debris,?:eek::eek::(

Taboma

Reaction score

It appears from the aerials that the new place built on piles Triple B shared build pics of across the street, held up pretty well, yes ?
I was pleasantly surprised you could post from Elbow Cay or even Marsh Harbor for that matter, thanks for sharing the journey.

RichL

Reaction score
I bet he could assemble a small army of hands on this site alone . On the flip side what do you do with the debris,?:eek::eek::(
I suspect the biggest challenge will be getting new supplies to the site and then keeping them from disappearing.

Headless hula

Reaction score
A few pics from what's called "the settlement"
20191018_104442.jpg
20191018_103956.jpg
20191018_103941.jpg
20191018_104003.jpg
20191018_104000.jpg
20191018_104024.jpg
20191018_104010.jpg
20191018_104440.jpg
20191018_104429.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score
It appears from the aerials that the new place built on piles Triple B shared build pics of across the street, held up pretty well, yes ?
I was pleasantly surprised you could post from Elbow Cay or even Marsh Harbor for that matter, thanks for sharing the journey.
The one on pilings across the street got water blasted from underneath. It's a foot outbof level from one to the other. Waves lifted the piles out of the ground.

Headless hula

Reaction score
That is just too bad. I thought by the photos that the interior was not damaged that much. Let me know if you need. Hand I will be on the mainland a few times next year. I can hop on over to do some work.
The inside is not good.
20191018_074452.jpg
20191018_074447.jpg
20191018_074500.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score
More pics of the exterior that's scoured away, or sandblasted.
20191018_074046.jpg
20191018_074104.jpg
20191018_074050.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score
They're working on getting a shredder here on the island. Itll all get sorted, then hauled out shredded, etc.. .

Nordie

Reaction score
Was this home CMU contstruction with a tie beam going around it? Looks like it did fairly well all things considered.

TripleB

Reaction score
057B5C86-9041-4FFA-8193-22ECB79D3EE1.jpeg
We’ve only been here a couple days and seeing all the destruction has become the new normal. We listen to the latest updates on VHF 8:30 every morning.
When we got here it was point and look at the damage, now nothing

Water is still pretty

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Your pics have reaffirmed my faith that Mother Nature is a real badass, and can kick our teeth in relatively easily.

It has also reaffirmed my faith in the power of people.

We as outsiders only see the news clips of days before, and days after. Then the news crews leave. The recovery will be long and difficult, but powered by normal people.

buck35

Reaction score
Seeing the destuction that lasted for days ,it's hard to imagine more than a handful of people surviving.:(
Good on you 2 for jumping in and helping others.:cool:

Headless hula

Reaction score
Was this home CMU contstruction with a tie beam going around it? Looks like it did fairly well all things considered.
Wood framed. Its sheathed with 1/2" plywood beneath the hardie plank siding.
The inside surface is sheets of faux T1-11
It's kinda like the old pressboard masonite. Looks like rough sawb cedar board and batten. It's all water soaked.
The framing is tied together with 4x4's on the corners that go through the floos system all the way down to pilings. That's all bolted together.
This home survived a previous hurricane as well.

An architect from southern florida designed it, and there is 4 or 5 other homes built like it on the island.

You can see the 4x4's exposed on the exterior of the house. They basically act as ties holding the sheated panels down.

TripleB

Reaction score
43286D61-621F-4C07-B7F2-F3D0954C7B6A.jpeg
Supplies are limited, our new reality getting fuel

TripleB

Reaction score
The people are incredible, everyone helps everyone, watching Hula work with 3 Haitian guys that spoke a couple words of English was very entertaining, Hula learned, hammer, saw, breaker and hit here in his new language

Driving into the settlement this am saw a guy walking and asked if he needed a lift
A little language barrier, Norway but we got it done

Nordie

Reaction score
Wood framed. Its sheathed with 1/2" plywood beneath the hardie plank siding.
The inside surface is sheets of faux T1-11
It's kinda like the old pressboard masonite. Looks like rough sawb cedar board and batten. It's all water soaked.
The framing is tied together with 4x4's on the corners that go through the floos system all the way down to pilings. That's all bolted together.
This home survived a previous hurricane as well.

An architect from southern florida designed it, and there is 4 or 5 other homes built like it on the island.

You can see the 4x4's exposed on the exterior of the house. They basically act as ties holding the sheated panels down.

Very interesting design, thanks for the info.

RichL

Reaction score
The people are incredible, everyone helps everyone, watching Hula work with 3 Haitian guys that spoke a couple words of English was very entertaining, Hula learned, hammer, saw, breaker and hit here in his new language

Driving into the settlement this am saw a guy walking and asked if he needed a lift
A little language barrier, Norway but we got it done
Curious how you found something to drive. Was it hidden away somewhere safe or were you able to rent something?

Headless hula

Reaction score
Curious how you found something to drive. Was it hidden away somewhere safe or were you able to rent something?
Rented golf cart. Apparently they found someplace to stash em.
A few are in the water, a few wrapped around trees. Most are operational.

Headless hula

Reaction score
A crew stripped the shingles off and got it dried in with new ice and water shield today.

Hell yea boys!
20191018_165236.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score
Just asked what a pack of smokes cost.

12 bucks.

Headless hula

Reaction score
ICE? Lol...o_O
Glad to see y'all Makin progress.:cool:
Theres a product called "grace ice and water shield" in my experience, there isn't a better product out there. I used it a LOT when I did commercial work.
It seals around the fasteners.

@monkeyswrench would know more about it than me.