WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hula Trip Thread

TripleB

Reaction score
I'll be flying back to cheeseland to drag my boat south, as of now Headless Hula has agreed to help me tow the girl to the Keys.

Then I get to put Hula to work for a while.

Being the expert wood carpenter we will see if the fearless Hula can conquer Ipee wood

Im redoing my front gate with this stuff, Ive been told you can not pound a nail in it and when drilling it, your drill will go dull after 3-4 holes.

We may let up a day or 2 for him to enjoy the weather, but still plenty to do post Irma

For you west coast peeps, Irma was a hurricane that was a direct hit to the Florida Keys

Stay tuned for the Hula adventure that will include a trip to Stainless Marine, I think they make stuff for boats:)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
What the hell kind of wood is that?! Just an odd thought, try a small masonry bit for pilots. Started using them for drilling hardened steel. Oldtimer showed me that a few years ago. Not for precision, but cheaper than a milling bit, or a handful of carbides.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Had to look it up...

Ipe (spelled ipe and pronounced “ee-pay”), also called Brazilian walnut, is a beautiful exotic wood from South America. Ipe wood structures are hard, strong, and naturally resistant to rot, abrasion, weather, and insects. It is almost twice as dense as most woods and up to five times harder. It is medium to darker brown in color, like a mahogany, so not only lasts a long time but has the beauty of a fine interior wood. If Ipe lumber is allowed to patina, color can be brought back to its original shade with the use a cleaner and brightener. Ipe wood lumber has become a very popular and inexpensive alternative to teak lumber.

Ipe Wood Lumber is used for decking and other outdoor applications like furniture, siding, and fencing. Its has a extremely long life in the outdoors. It can last up to 75 years and will last more than 40years in almost all applications. That is 4-7 times as long as most pressure treated woods. If you want to build something to last for a long time, Ipe is an excellent choice.

Pros:
  • Strong
  • Hard
  • Long lasting
  • Smooth
  • Ages gracefully
  • Naturally fire and rot resistant
  • insect resistant
Cons:
  • Heavy
  • Requires pre-drilling or hidden installation hardware
https://floorcritics.com/common-problems-with-ipe-decking/

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
What the hell kind of wood is that?! Just an odd thought, try a small masonry bit for pilots. Started using them for drilling hardened steel. Oldtimer showed me that a few years ago. Not for precision, but cheaper than a milling bit, or a handful of carbides.
The wood is pronounced (eee-pay) it's an exotic, very hard and very expensive. Also very tough to work with.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Pie is a great wood for wet areas. It is costly and will tear up your tools. It is not perfect I was at a house that was having issues becuase the out door kitchen was in the sun and rain. To my surprise it was moving from the first day it was installed.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
The wood is pronounced (eee-pay) it's an exotic, very hard and very expensive. Also very tough to work with.
Pie is a great wood for wet areas. It is costly and will tear up your tools. It is not perfect I was at a house that was having issues becuase the out door kitchen was in the sun and rain. To my surprise it was moving from the first day it was installed.
Bring a stack of saw blades?

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Like a guy at work says, “Next time I get a new house I’m throwing a party...so we can take the wheels off...”:D

sprintcvx

Reaction score
Ipe deck we did last year. We went with hidden fasteners so we didn't have to pre drill AND counter sink all the screws. Have a good trip Hula, a little fun in the sun sounds pretty good right now.
20181019_143048_zps7ebmes5b.jpg
20181019_142810_zps9d2o57pt.jpg

Attachments

• 20181019_142810_zps9d2o57pt.jpg
    20181019_142810_zps9d2o57pt.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 51

Headless hula

Reaction score
Honestly looking forward to working with this ebay wood. Lolol
I've only heard tripleb talk about it, and what I've read here. From the pics he's sent it looks like I'll have to create a tenon or a rabbit on each face at each end to fit into the gate. I was figuring on using a table saw. Set the fence, set the blade height, have a nice day.....
Damifiknow.:p

Last edited:

sonicss31

Reaction score
If you need an extra pair of hands let me know. I’ll be down til the 26th. Some tile work to do.

Headless hula

Reaction score
After a little research, it seems carbide saw blades will work just fine, as long as they stay clean from pitch deposits.
At least theres a home depot close by.

500bbc

Reaction score
Refinish twice a year minimum if you want to retain the deep rich color or just let it grey out.
Finish choice is critical as well, it's so dense nothing penetrates. Each cut needs the end grain prefinished as it's installed, some suppliers disclaim it's use outdoors.

sprintcvx

Reaction score
After a little research, it seems carbide saw blades will work just fine, as long as they stay clean from pitch deposits.
At least theres a home depot close by.

It produces a very fine sawdust that can get in and irritate your skin pores. Don't be rubbing your eyes/face with sawdust on your hands. You should coat the end cuts as well, it will last forever;)

TripleB

Reaction score
Ipe is very high maintenance.

The Coney Island Boardwalk is made out of it

Other attributes of ipe wood include:

• It can last more than 25 years outdoors.
  • Eco-friendly; 100 percent natural wood
  • Mold, fire, weather, and pest-resistant
  • Resists surface scratches
  • Three times harder than cedar
  • One of the densest hardwoods, it sinks in water.
  • It has the same fire rating as steel and concrete, making it a more fire-resistant choice than softwoods.
  • It has high concentrations of tannic acid, which makes it resistant to rot, insects, and fungi. Because of this, stainless fasteners are recommended.

sonicss31

Reaction score
The Coney Island Boardwalk is made out of it

Other attributes of ipe wood include:

• It can last more than 25 years outdoors.
  • Eco-friendly; 100 percent natural wood
  • Mold, fire, weather, and pest-resistant
  • Resists surface scratches
  • Three times harder than cedar
  • One of the densest hardwoods, it sinks in water.
  • It has the same fire rating as steel and concrete, making it a more fire-resistant choice than softwoods.
  • It has high concentrations of tannic acid, which makes it resistant to rot, insects, and fungi. Because of this, stainless fasteners are recommended.
Also all of the decking in Key West Oldtown Harbor is built with this wood. Stands up well to puke and spilled alcoholic beverages.

TripleB

Reaction score
It produces a very fine sawdust that can get in and irritate your skin pores. Don't be rubbing your eyes/face with sawdust on your hands. You should coat the end cuts as well, it will last forever;)

Coat the end cuts with what?

sprintcvx

Reaction score
Coat the end cuts with what?
We've always called it end cut solution. The stuff we used on this deck the home owner purchased from the same supplier as the deck boards(I can't remember the brand name). It went on white but dried clear. Any oil based stain should work as well.

TripleB

Reaction score
We've always called it end cut solution. The stuff we used on this deck the home owner purchased from the same supplier as the deck boards(I can't remember the brand name). It went on white but dried clear. Any oil based stain should work as well.

Thanks

TripleB

Reaction score
The date to leave, head south, is now Jan 23rd, someone couldnt do it earlier, some thing about closing on their house:)

Checkmate21

Reaction score
Coat the end cuts with Anchor Seal. Make sure you finish all 4 sides, not just the top! If you finish just the top, it will twist and warp like you will not believe. I like the look of Red Balau better and it is about 30% cheaper. Just make real sure that all sides and edges are coated before installing. You will be very sorry if you don't do it. That goes for all of the tropical hardwoods.

When you finish it, I would recommend using a clear finish like Penofin or Super Deck. By using a clear, the color will not darken as much each time you re-coat it.

TripleB

Reaction score
Thanks Hula needs all the help he can get

I will be keeping score on this project, my guess the Ipee wood will get out to a huge lead before Hula claws back in to it:)

TripleB

Reaction score
Also confirmed airline tickets today, game on

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
6 or 7 years ago i built some doors out of Cumaru, it's very similar to Ipe. Drilling and cutting is not really a problem, Carbide blades on the saw will last no worries. HSS drills as well, I had to drill and counter bore (not counter sink) about 600 fastener holes for #10 button head allens, did it all with a single forstner bit, and normal HSS drill bit. A drill press definitely makes it all easier. I had to rip every piece on my table saw, and then router a 1/8" chamfer on all the planks, It was no sweat on the carbide.

the worst part of working with it is that it makes really short and really strong splinters that can be hard to pick out, you will be picking a few out of your hands if you don't glove up. Other than that it's not too big of a deal.

TripleB

Reaction score
Fountain is flowing, if I keep this up I may take on the Ipee wood:)

TripleB

Reaction score
Hula has accepted the Ipee challenge