WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hull ID placement

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
What are the rules on where and how the ID hull numbers should be placed

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Are you talking Hull ID numbers (12 digit VIN)?
Or State Registration Numbers (AZ 1234 AB)?

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
HIN #'s? Or registration#'s?

I had a trophy shop make the HIN tags, (mine were the same as the AZ #'s) one on the starboard side transom, above the water line, and one hidden in an inconspicuous place. My second one went above the radio under the dash. Both of them were riveted (required) and glued (peace of mind).

As far as registration #'s, AZGFD has pretty strict guidelines to follow.

Dan'l

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I'll presume you mean State Issued Registration numbers........

Minimum 3" letters/numbers (not including any borders, background or shading)
Visible and readable from minimum 50 feet.
Displayed on forward 1/2 of the hull (not on any removable part(s) - can be hung from a rail, on a plaque, permanently affixed)
Block style, capital letters (No script or cursive-type fancy font)
Contrasting color to the background/hull color
Must consist of prefix (the state ID), number, suffix. example: AZ 1234 AB / CF 1234 AB
Spaces, equal to the width of a letter/number (other than I or 1) or dash between the prefix, number and suffix AZ 1234 AB / CF-1234-AB
Must read left to right (you'd be surprised how many people screw this up)
Annual decal must be on the same plane as the registration numbers, within 3"
In AZ, the decal must be before/next to, the AZ
In CA, the annual decal (and any other special decals) must be AFT (toward the stern) of the registration numbers

77charger

Reaction score
I'll presume you mean State Issued Registration numbers........

Minimum 3" letters/numbers (not including any borders, background or shading)
Visible and readable from minimum 50 feet.
Displayed on forward 1/2 of the hull (not on any removable part(s) - can be hung from a rail, on a plaque, permanently affixed)
Block style, capital letters (No script or cursive-type fancy font)
Contrasting color to the background/hull color
Must consist of prefix (the state ID), number, suffix. example: AZ 1234 AB / CF 1234 AB
Spaces, equal to the width of a letter/number (other than I or 1) or dash between the prefix, number and suffix AZ 1234 AB / CF-1234-AB
Must read left to right (you'd be surprised how many people screw this up)
Annual decal must be on the same plane as the registration numbers, within 3"
In AZ, the decal must be before/next to, the AZ
In CA, the annual decal (and any other special decals) must be AFT (toward the stern) of the registration numbers
And i can bet some of the first 5 you gave are rarely enforced but can be used as a reason to stop someone and when it happens the boater gets all mad about it?

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
And i can bet some of the first 5 you gave are rarely enforced but can be used as a reason to stop someone and when it happens the boater gets all mad about it?

Correct. Plus I forgot to mention, that previous/expired decals must be removed or covered. A lot of boaters want to impress us all with how long they've had their boat, by placing the decals next to each other, so that the side of the boat looks like a West Hollywood parade float. But there are only 4 colors of decal, with every state having the same color for the same year. California issues 2 year registrations, so they only use 2 colors. The reason for that is, a quick glance from LE can tell if it's a current decal. With 10 years of decals, we can't tell which one is current without stopping the boat and checking paperwork.

Registration violations, with the exception of expired registration, never registered, fictitious registration/numbers, are seldom cited, but if they can't comprehend something as simple as number display, (there are instructions, including pictures, in every renewal notice) there's a good chance they didn't understand the safety requirements. So we stop for a safety inspection. As far as the numbering screw up, a lot of boaters, at least out here, are repeat customers. So after a couple of times of talking to them/warning on the numbering deal, we'll cite them. 2-3 chances are more than enough.

And one last thing: When you change the registration from one state to another, you must remove the old state numbers and put on the new state numbers. Just slapping an AZ decal on a CA (CF) number doesn't cut it.