WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HVAC brands?

f12517

Reaction score
Ok RDP peeps, I know there are several HVAC installers on this board and I am in need of a new HVAC system for my house in NorCal. Looking at a 5 ton single stage on the AC side, 14 seer unit. Single stage 100k btu 80% furnace. Also was quoted on 5 ton AC 17 seer two stage with a two stage 100k btu 80% furnace. Any brands to avoid, are any brands significantly better than others? Is two stage really worth it? More efficient? I have solar PV on the house and our true up on the electrical bill is pretty much zero now with PG&E. The PV system is a 8kW rated system with 29 panels. I'm east of Sac in Placer County so it gets hot in the summer with high 90's being common. Winter is usually 40's overnight with some occasional colder nights in the 30's. We use the Ac more than the heat. House is two story, approx 2900 sq/ft with a dual zone system in it currently.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Ok RDP peeps, I know there are several HVAC installers on this board and I am in need of a new HVAC system for my house in NorCal. Looking at a 5 ton single stage on the AC side, 14 seer unit. Single stage 100k btu 80% furnace. Also was quoted on 5 ton AC 17 seer two stage with a two stage 100k btu 80% furnace. Any brands to avoid, are any brands significantly better than others? Is two stage really worth it? More efficient? I have solar PV on the house and our true up on the electrical bill is pretty much zero now with PG&E. The PV system is a 8kW rated system with 29 panels. I'm east of Sac in Placer County so it gets hot in the summer with high 90's being common. Winter is usually 40's overnight with some occasional colder nights in the 30's. We use the Ac more than the heat. House is two story, approx 2900 sq/ft with a dual zone system in it currently.
Stick with a big name just for the serviceability of the unit and parts availability although they all really use the same parts. I put an Airtemp Heat pump and coil in my house in Paso after I bought it and had zero issues with it at all. It was actually quite efficient for only being a 14 SEER and marginal insulation in the house. As Riverbound will tell ya, the installation is really the most important part to longevity and efficiency. Since you dont use the heat much and since you already have solar, I'd maybe suggest a heat pump Is your furnace still good? If so, you could go to a dual fuel set-up and keep your existing furnace and put a heat pump in. The furnace would only be used for the REALLY cold mornings or when you need to warm the house up quickly, otherwise it uses the heat pump to heat the house. I also did this in my house in Paso since the furnace was still in great shape and I was on Propane. 250 gallons lasted me all year for the house instead of the 1 month like it did some of our neighbors.

As far as the higher seer 2 stage units.... sounds like you're breaking even in usage now, do you have an existing system that is just really old? If so, I don't think the higher SEER rating will be worth it for you. You will already reduce your consumption with the new system as it is. The only way I see it making financial sense is if there are some additional rebates for the higher SEER ratings.

Ladsm

Reaction score
I used to be the District Manager for York in Los Angeles but after they were bought by Johnson Controls and moved manufacturing to Mexico they went downhill. I still really like Trane and Carrier right behind them in 2nd place.

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
I used to be the District Manager for York in Los Angeles but after they were bought by Johnson Controls and moved manufacturing to Mexico they went downhill. I still really like Trane and Carrier right behind them in 2nd place.
I know my Carrier factory orders have been coming from Mexico for a few years. Like has been said before, the installation is what makes the system.

RodnJen

Reaction score
I was looking at a Maytag unit last year for the A/C side. They seem to get good reviews but that's all just second hand info. I want to swap out the entire system and perhaps move the unit to the side of the house away from the pool. There's extra expense in that as well.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
My HVAC buddy says it’s pretty much all The same. Theyre probably all made in the same facility in Mexico I’m guessing. I think if you stick to the major brand names your good.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
My advice is to definitely go with 2 stage as you will have far better temperature and humidity control. As the systems will throttle up and down on need.

Secondly stay away from anything with aluminum coils.

Check your computer tractors out thoroughly as the clock tractor and how they install the equipment plays a much bigger part than the sticker on the equipment they are installing.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I was looking at a Maytag unit last year for the A/C side. They seem to get good reviews but that's all just second hand info. I want to swap out the entire system and perhaps move the unit to the side of the house away from the pool. There's extra expense in that as well.

I’m a big Maytag fan and have their 20seer inverter system in my house and their 16 seer 2 stage at the river. Next to the lifetime warranty units from Amana they have one of the best warranties at 12 years. 👍👍

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

One other thing to note as I missed it the first time. In order to have a zoning system in Ca and remain compliant with title 24 you will have to go with a multi stage system.

f12517

Reaction score
Stick with a big name just for the serviceability of the unit and parts availability although they all really use the same parts. I put an Airtemp Heat pump and coil in my house in Paso after I bought it and had zero issues with it at all. It was actually quite efficient for only being a 14 SEER and marginal insulation in the house. As Riverbound will tell ya, the installation is really the most important part to longevity and efficiency. Since you dont use the heat much and since you already have solar, I'd maybe suggest a heat pump Is your furnace still good? If so, you could go to a dual fuel set-up and keep your existing furnace and put a heat pump in. The furnace would only be used for the REALLY cold mornings or when you need to warm the house up quickly, otherwise it uses the heat pump to heat the house. I also did this in my house in Paso since the furnace was still in great shape and I was on Propane. 250 gallons lasted me all year for the house instead of the 1 month like it did some of our neighbors.

As far as the higher seer 2 stage units.... sounds like you're breaking even in usage now, do you have an existing system that is just really old? If so, I don't think the higher SEER rating will be worth it for you. You will already reduce your consumption with the new system as it is. The only way I see it making financial sense is if there are some additional rebates for the higher SEER ratings.

System is 19 years, furnace is shot which is part of the reason for replacement. The heater will overheat and shut itself down if the downstairs zone runs too long or if both zones try to run at the same time. The damper motor for the dual zone also died recently. The cap for the condenser and compressor popped last week, so I replaced that myself. The pan in the attic is just about shot.

f12517

Reaction score
@Riverbound, who is using aluminum coils? We want to stay with the dual zone system, I've talked two installers and neither has mentioned that in discussions, so thank you for the heads up. We don't plan to stay in this house for more than 5-10 years tops. We've been here for 15 already, daughter is gone to college. So I don't want to overspend on the system for the next guy

Does anyone have any referrals for HVAC contractors in Placer County?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Bildoe have they switched over to the new refrigerant yet?

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Was working at a house in LB a couple of years ago where the neighborhood was early 1900's and drive way was the easement to the garage. Neighbors had a new Mitsubishi vertical side draft condenser unit and that fuker was dead quite when running.
Me, I instslled a budget Goodman condenser system at my place about 4 years ago and that fuker is loud.
Yore choice.

Reactions: DWC

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I would go with Carrier. It is the best and definately the best to work with as far as warranty work goes. They all have a 10 year parts warranty but Goodman and Amana are not very user friendly. 14 SEER equipment should be ok since you have solar and a near zero electric bill.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
@Riverbound, who is using aluminum coils? We want to stay with the dual zone system, I've talked two installers and neither has mentioned that in discussions, so thank you for the heads up. We don't plan to stay in this house for more than 5-10 years tops. We've been here for 15 already, daughter is gone to college. So I don't want to overspend on the system for the next guy

Does anyone have any referrals for HVAC contractors in Placer County?

I believe trane is aluminum. Lennox “quantum” coils are aluminum. Maytag is aluminum on some of their line. I don’t have a referral but can look over any quotes for you if you would like.l and give you my feedback.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
System is 19 years, furnace is shot which is part of the reason for replacement. The heater will overheat and shut itself down if the downstairs zone runs too long or if both zones try to run at the same time. The damper motor for the dual zone also died recently. The cap for the condenser and compressor popped last week, so I replaced that myself. The pan in the attic is just about shot.

This is exactly why you need to go multi stage equipment.

Fortunately you are not in SCAQMD territory or your options would be very limited.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I believe trane is aluminum. Lennox “quantum” coils are aluminum. Maytag is aluminum on some of their line. I don’t have a referral but can look over any quotes for you if you would like.l and give you my feedback.
What is wrong with Alum?
Every car here in the midwest uses alum condensers on salt roads. They last as long as the cars do, about 15-20 years. Far harsher environment then a closed indoor system?
This is an honest question.
I thought Alum was more efficient?

Sherpa

Reaction score
You’re either looking for the cheap fix to flip the house, or not thinking it out. 80% and 14 seer is bottom basement. Who cares who makes it at that point. Go Coleman for maximum savings.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
What is wrong with Alum?
Every car here in the midwest uses alum condensers on salt roads. They last as long as the cars do, about 15-20 years. Far harsher environment then a closed indoor system?

Every time I have seen a manufacturer go to an aluminum coil, there will be a massive uptick in warranties and failures. I agree the technology should be there, but every time a manufacturer makes the switch there is always this. As much as I appreciate my customers I don’t want to see them and they feel the same. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I won’t get into specifics but trust me on this one, stick with a copper coil American made product.

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
Every time I have seen a manufacturer go to an aluminum coil, there will be a massive uptick in warranties and failures. I agree the technology should be there, but every time a manufacturer makes the switch there is always this. As much as I appreciate my customers I don’t want to see them and they feel the same. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I won’t get into specifics but trust me on this one, stick with a copper coil American made product.
I guess it matters where the coils are made.
USA is losing the manufacturing base. It's all going to Mexico or over seas. Copper and Alum Manufacturing must be separated. You can't have both in the same Plant due to cross contamination. If the failure rate is high it is due to the NOCOLOK Brazing Process being used to furnace braze the cores or the quality of materials being used to produce the tubes.
The leaks almost always occur at the weld joints including the fittings.
Interesting none the less. 👍

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Trane sucks cock for customer service we put 10- 15 on our builds but my tech screams 😫😎

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Trane sucks cock for customer service we put 10- 15 on our builds but my tech screams 😫😎
Ive never had a problem with Trane tech support on HVAC units. Chillers on the other hand....... iffy at best......

And no Lennox. Overpriced for proprietary components that dont last any longer and hardly anybody carries them.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
What is wrong with Alum?
Notorious for noisy operation. Servicing more often and more expensive and fewer companies that will.

Leaky mofos.
Refrigerant leaks, compressor starts short cycling and if not caught in time Over heats and burns out and all the expensive shitshow that results from that.

Last edited:

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
Bummer a good company went south. My Lennox system is 52 years old. Born in 1968. I'm sure it is not so efficient but I compare bills with my neighbors and I'm often surprised at their numbers. I have more square feet but I maintain the unit to the best it can be. I'm sure it is due soon but that is what my story is.