WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hydraulic Steering N/A on my setup

txcc91

Reaction score
First time poster, long time lurker. I have a 98 Lavey 23' with 496 HO. Boat tops out roughly 80mph, currently has no external hydraulic steering assist. I have had no incidents or events in the 3 years of ownership, but after reading some threads my fear has set it about safety. The kits I've found out there (Mayfair and IMCO) don't work on my setup. I don't have any better pics to post it's in storage, but for reference my "trim sender" is in alignment with my molded in swim platform. 0% chance even the smallest of rams would be applicable. Any options out there?

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 50

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
thats a dificult one. i am not aware of anything external but maybe somebody else is. I have a similar situation on my Ultra where the thru hull exhaust drops down and exits the back of the boat right where you would want to mount the hydraulic rams for the external steering.

Best I can come up with is Seastar makes a hydraulic ram that replaces the power steering actuator on the inside of the transom. Put a full seastar quick ratio kit in front of that and couple it with their electric power steering module and you could have yourself a nice full hydraulic steering setup that will get you down the water. Albeit the steering would still be pushing on the stock tiller/steering lever.

You can also upgrade some of the mechanical components that can cause the dangerous situation that youre worried about with the likes of a stainless steel swivel pin and a stainless steel gimbal ring.

Thats all I got...

farmo83

Reaction score
I went through this with my Schiada and your setup looks even narrower then mine. Also for perspective my boat came with the old 500 blue motor and ran around on cable steering for almost 30 years on that setup. The gimbal ring was worn out and had I not gotten a bigger motor I would have replaced that and kept on going.

The narrowest setup from IMCO is the Integrated Gimbal assembly which is the route I ended up going. There is 0 clearance between this and my swim step brackets for perspective. I was going to relocate my swim brackets but my gimbal ring was worn out and by the time I redid the brackets, filled the holes, got a new gimbal, and then put the rams in the IMCO route was more economical.

I think you'll end up having to do Mercury ITS as the rams come out below gimbal assembly.

The other option would be to install a standoff box and then do steering. You're basically moving everything away from the back of the boat and gaining room. I have no idea what this would do to the handling of your boat and would investigate that.

Attachments

• Boat Name.jpg
    Boat Name.jpg
    767.8 KB · Views: 45

Ricks raft

Reaction score
I don’t have an answer for steering but is that speed legitimate ? I’ve owned several boats in that size with various engines, supercharged small blocks, 454 magnums, HP500s, and warmed up 502’s, None of them were anywhere near 80. Granted mine were propped for all around performance not extreme top end, Most people recommend external steering over 80, if you’re actually in the low 70’s, shouldn’t need to worry about it.

txcc91

Reaction score
Thanks all for replies and suggestions, definitely gives me some homework to research.

Cheers

farmo83

Reaction score
I don’t have an answer for steering but is that speed legitimate ? I’ve owned several boats in that size with various engines, supercharged small blocks, 454 magnums, HP500s, and warmed up 502’s, None of them were anywhere near 80. Granted mine were propped for all around performance not extreme top end, Most people recommend external steering over 80, if you’re actually in the low 70’s, shouldn’t need to worry about it.

I think this is common to all boaters. My schiada with the 500 blue motor ran around 75 mph depending on conditions and 80 when I put a shorty drive on it.

I lost count how many "90 mph" boats it put on the trailer.

txcc91

Reaction score
Rick, my mechanical speedo pegs at 80. I have had my cell phone gps on 2 occasions with a buddy in the boat very early morning with the phone reading 77 and 78. (80 rolls off the tongue better) It has a 1x drive and the prop is a 4 blade 15 25. I don't do the high speed very often; the wife gets scared easily so those days are saved for out with the buddies.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Rick, my mechanical speedo pegs at 80. I have had my cell phone gps on 2 occasions with a buddy in the boat very early morning with the phone reading 77 and 78. (80 rolls off the tongue better) It has a 1x drive and the prop is a 4 blade 15 25. I don't do the high speed very often; the wife gets scared easily so those days are saved for out with the buddies.
Wow. That’s extremely efficient, like 2% prop slip at 5000rpm, under 10 is normal under 5 is fantastic.
My current boat, howard 22 sport, low profile, huge delta pad only runs 74 with light load with 502 with exhaust and tune.
I still think your safe Without external steering. Of course maintenance is a good plan.