WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hypothetical olympics question

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
If you are an athlete at the Olympics (a stretch for some, but go with it) and happen to finish 3rd (respectable no doubt) only to find out months later that 2nd place has been busted for breaking a rule, and DQ'd... Do you celebrate, feel sorry for your competitor, or do nothing?

Does the rule that was broken matter (ie. steroids vs gambling on the sport vs non amateur status)?:hmm:headscratch:

Froggystyle

Reaction score
If you are an athlete at the Olympics (a stretch for some, but go with it) and happen to finish 3rd (respectable no doubt) only to find out months later that 2nd place has been busted for breaking a rule, and DQ'd... Do you celebrate, feel sorry for your competitor, or do nothing?

Does the rule that was broken matter (ie. steroids vs gambling on the sport vs non amateur status)?:hmm:headscratch:

You would probably be pissed you pawned the Bronze... you get more for silver.

Bails

Reaction score
It wouldn't matter. The whole thing is over. You would go to some event and they would say here's John Doe a sliver medalist. It would be awkward because at the time you had won the bronze. I would be a little bitter about the asshole that cheated. I would also be bitter about the money. Most likely the bronze to sliver wouldn't matter but the sliver to gold would have cost me some money. Six month latter I would never make up the money I lost.

Hammer

Reaction score
What is there to do ? 2nd place got dq'd . Take second place and work hard for next year . I wouldn't gloat or be excited. That I was handed second place because of a cheater. Unless a lot of money was at stake. It is what it is...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I think at that point it doesn't matter.. I'm not sure what kind of endorsement deals silver's get, but I know Bronze isn't going to get much..

RD

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Was Brown busted using non Ailsa Craig curling stone again??:eek

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I think at that point it doesn't matter.. I'm not sure what kind of endorsement deals silver's get, but I know Bronze isn't going to get much..

RD

The Bronze and a Teaching credential might get one a job.

Sons school hired Gold Medalist Biondi. Nice, big score for the swim and diving teams but we were surprised he hasn't parleyed the medals into something bigger.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
I think you shake your head, know that you got beat by someone doping, and if you are still competing you go out and kick ass :thumbup:

Kleptow

Reaction score
From a Track & field stand point..... It wouldn't mean shit......... if you gave it all you had at the time.............Move on.

Reaction score
"After the completion of the the post race F2 boat inspection conducted by Mercury Marine in Belgium, Boat #17 has been disqualified from the 18th World Water Ski Racing Championships in Tenerife / Canary Islands / Spain (September 2013). This decision is pending the result of an appeal to the IWWF appeals committee."

Reaction score
The team should be banned from world competition.....O whait this is not the first time the driver cheated in worlds f2.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Interesting question. Look back at Lance Armstrongs SEVEN (7) TDF wins. He loses them as far as the record keeping goes. But, those seven years, second AND third have all been admitted dopers as well. So how to handle the records?

As far as Olympic medalist's capitalizing; I think the media picks its winners and losers. Dynamic personalities wind up the darlings. Look at Apolo Ohno (sp) He is hosting some game show, others, not so much. I think the shelf life of Olympic gold is short.

nowski

Reaction score
If I were in charge and it was a performance enhancing drug involved this is how I would handle the situation in my world. I would get all the athletes together that took part in the event. I would let them take all the performance enhancing drugs they wanted to up till the day of the event. I would let them compete against each other in there event and lets see if we have the same results. The taking of the performance enhancing drugs by all competitors would equall the playing field. The results must have a different result than the 1st race and if so you would have your winners. If the results are the same as the 1st race then there all on performance enhancing drugs and they would all be banned to compete in the future. The P.E.D.'s are everywhere in today's sporting world but I know one thing is a fact, I won't ever have a Big * next to my name!!!

Yellowboat

Reaction score
you would be pissed, and want every thing they did vacated. sadly once something happens its done, but if it means you made the big show, you will be happy( seen it happen) just hope you didn't stop training...

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
:D

Attachments

• unimpressed.jpg
    unimpressed.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 7

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
138 has feline containment issues...

At ski racing worlds a few months a back a US skier (and RDP member) finished 3RD. The 2nd place boat has been brought up as cheating (hot ECU is the rumor).

I honestly don't think the skier knew, and feel bad for him, but... Congrats on the silver Andy!

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
They won't allow water skiing in the Olympics. It's the boat factor. :rolleyes

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Worlds are ski racing's Olympics... and much like shotput, triple jump, javelin, pole vault etc. Only 72 people on the world can tell you who won...😢

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
yet they allow horses :rolleyes

Ya, I know it makes no sence they shoot rifles and ride horses but no water skiing because of the boat.

Maybe use horses to pull the skiers.

[video=youtube;fw-uDwCFeyQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fw-uDwCFeyQ[/video]

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
What is there to do ? 2nd place got dq'd . Take second place and work hard for next year . I wouldn't gloat or be excited. That I was handed second place because of a cheater. Unless a lot of money was at stake. It is what it is...

Umm, last I checked, the Olympics happen once each four (4) years......

Reaction score
Worlds are ski racing's Olympics... and much like shotput, triple jump, javelin, pole vault etc. Only 72 people on the world can tell you who won...
It is funny you all talk shit about second....I would sepend obscene amounts of money to stand on that podium. ...The owner of Bernico cheated at the first worlds f2 and I purchased that boat cash .... He sold a shit load of boats.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Sorry, That whole "2nd place is first loser" is a load of shit. I've been racing bicycles for 25 years, Been on top of the podium 2 times. The trophies for 2-whatever are all cherished memories of a physical torture test like no other. My first race ever, I was praying for a flat tire so I could stop and not feel like a quitter. There is more often than not a sandbagger out there racing underclass, just for first place trophies. Second place to me is a proud moment. I have ALWAYS raced in the class I belong in. When I start to podium, I move up as soon as the governing rules allow it.

I am competing in a race in June that the winner will do in UNDER 14 days. If I finish in 20, I will be the happiest man in the world.