WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I’m a shitty golfer...

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Anyone play Escena in palm springs? Just booked a round for this Saturday morning since we will be in town for my daughters cheer competition and she has the late call time.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Anyone play Escena in palm springs? Just booked a round for this Saturday morning since we will be in town for my daughters cheer competition and she has the late call time.
Played a few years back and it was very nice.
HYDRATE!

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I've been playing quite a bit which has meant some lower score rounds (relative speaking) but my shitty golf came still comes out, generally consumerate with how many beers go down on the course. I can break into the 80's here and there but not as of late. Thinking its time to get some professional help to get more consistent. Thinking of trying out Golftec in Huntington Beach, curious is anyone has an experience there? I've never taken lessons.

Last week I played Recreation Park 18 in Long Beach, wasn't great but wasn't bad by my standards.
IMG_1065.jpg

The Seal Beach Navy course (two courses 9 and 18) is right next to my house so its the go-to. Played the Cruiser (9 hole) on Friday afternoon when I decided that I was tired of sitting and work and shot 3 over (solo round).
IMG_1063.jpg

Played the Seal Beach Navy Destroyer course (18 hole) on Sunday and had a ton of missed opportunities around the greens. Drives were consistent but anything under 60 yards in was a disaster. Putting was great all day, all the big scores were playing ping pong across/around the greens.
IMG_1064.jpg

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
I've been playing quite a bit which has meant some lower score rounds (relative speaking) but my shitty golf came still comes out, generally consumerate with how many beers go down on the course. I can break into the 80's here and there but not as of late. Thinking its time to get some professional help to get more consistent. Thinking of trying out Golftec in Huntington Beach, curious is anyone has an experience there? I've never taken lessons.

Last week I played Recreation Park 18 in Long Beach, wasn't great but wasn't bad by my standards.
View attachment 1133180

The Seal Beach Navy course (two courses 9 and 18) is right next to my house so its the go-to. Played the Cruiser (9 hole) on Friday afternoon when I decided that I was tired of sitting and work and shot 3 over (solo round).
View attachment 1133181

Played the Seal Beach Navy Destroyer course (18 hole) on Sunday and had a ton of missed opportunities around the greens. Drives were consistent but anything under 60 yards in was a disaster. Putting was great all day, all the big scores were playing ping pong across/around the greens.
View attachment 1133182
As to your question about taking lessons it depends if you aren’t going to listen and stick to what they tell you to try it won’t do any good.

If you really want to get better start at the chipping green and work your way out! Most golfers take the most wasted strokes around the green. Take the time to get really good at getting up and down from anywhere within 20yrds of the green and drive your friends crazy! It really sucks playing with a guy that sprays the ball of the tee but somehow always finds a way to make par!

I started as a teaching pro after trying to make it on the mini tours and Monday qualifying. Two things I never understood was people taking lessons and not actually trying to change the bad habits they had and the pro that looked like he didn’t give a shit when giving a lesson and just repeating the same shit to each student. Everyone’s swing and athletic abilities are different so lessons need to be the same. I watched a very famous golf pro give a lesson to a 16yr old kid and not even watch him it one ball and kept acting like he was actually paying attention. It was sad because I knew what he charged!

satellitemike

Reaction score
So when
As to your question about taking lessons it depends if you aren’t going to listen and stick to what they tell you to try it won’t do any good.

If you really want to get better start at the chipping green and work your way out! Most golfers take the most wasted strokes around the green. Take the time to get really good at getting up and down from anywhere within 20yrds of the green and drive your friends crazy! It really sucks playing with a guy that sprays the ball of the tee but somehow always finds a way to make par!

I started as a teaching pro after trying to make it on the mini tours and Monday qualifying. Two things I never understood was people taking lessons and not actually trying to change the bad habits they had and the pro that looked like he didn’t give a shit when giving a lesson and just repeating the same shit to each student. Everyone’s swing and athletic abilities are different so lessons need to be the same. I watched a very famous golf pro give a lesson to a 16yr old kid and not even watch him it one ball and kept acting like he was actually paying attention. It was sad because I knew what he charged!
So when do the free RDP in person golf lessons begin?

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score

Great info here. I'm completely open to changing things up, I'm what I consider to be the younger side (35) and fit so if I get stronger fundamentals down I figure it would be helpful. Hell it can't get much worse considering I'm shooting in the 90s right now. I'm going to take your advise and go the chipping green instead of the driving range over the next month or so and see what I can do to improve my short game. It is absolutely where I blow up and is what is keeping me from breaking into the 80's as of late.

I'd like to find an independent trainer in my area that I like so I could get some long-term lessons in place to build my game. Not looking for an overnight fix, just slowly improve as I continue to play more.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I took a series of six lessons over a few weeks and it was totally beneficial. They fix your grip, keep you from bending your wrist the wrong way and get you to stop lifting the left heel. I follow a few golf pros on Instagram and the slow mo videos are awesome to see where the power really comes from in a swing.

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score

View attachment 1133180

View attachment 1133181

View attachment 1133182
Haven't played Big Rec in 22 years. Playing Eldorado tomorrow morn, the fastest greens I've ever played. Greens have to be rolling 10+. Can't score because of how fast they are.

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score

I agree, most average golfers will not hit the green in regulation, so what's he doing, pitching and chipping and hopefully 1 putting. for par. You have to practice chipping around the greens, I practice chipping and putting at least 5 days a week. My practice bag. Usually take the 50, 54, and the 58.

Attachments

• 5CqXOd%cR4SmaLPXPZ8EJQ.jpg
    5CqXOd%cR4SmaLPXPZ8EJQ.jpg
    694.8 KB · Views: 23

DWC

Reaction score
! It really sucks playing with a guy that sprays the ball of the tee but somehow always finds a way to make par!

When i first started i played with an older guy that I bought concrete from. He couldn’t hit the ball more than 180-190yards. I would pound it past him and he’d bet me $5 that he’d beat me on the hole. His short game was just ridiculous. He put up a mid-70 round at PGA West with a “pushed” putt on 18 with the ranger watching. World class sandbagger.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Haven't played Big Rec in 22 years. Playing Eldorado tomorrow morn, the fastest greens I've ever played. Greens have to be rolling 10+. Can't score because of how fast they are.
Big Rec has been in decent shape as of late so its finding its way into the rotation more. I haven't played El Dorado in a few years, will have to add that to the short list to get out on.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I agree, most average golfers will not hit the green in regulation, so what's he doing, pitching and chipping and hopefully 1 putting. for par. You have to practice chipping around the greens, I practice chipping and putting at least 5 days a week. My practice bag. Usually take the 50, 54, and the 58.
5 days a week? That's impressive. You are either retired or have a practice setup at home I'd like to see.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Just shot an 80 @ Encanto Championship 18 and beat my personal best by two strokes. Even though it’s a par 70 course it’s still over 6400 yards so I’ll take it!

Had an absolutely striped 3-wood on #12 that put me on the green in two, barely missed the eagle putt for a tap in birdie.

4AF7855F-F95D-43CC-9853-F2549E7A9163.jpeg

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
When i first started i played with an older guy that I bought concrete from. He couldn’t hit the ball more than 180-190yards. I would pound it past him and he’d bet me $5 that he’d beat me on the hole. His short game was just ridiculous. He put up a mid-70 round at PGA West with a “pushed” putt on 18 with the ranger watching. World class sandbagger.

This was my dad for many many years! Dude used two clubs getting close to the green then chip and one putt every damn hole.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
uB7jnnioYVN9N2sWtyG8q2r_0o6yce_dHBsItIkVWfW0IJjjwjAqVAmvQftHwz1JoXTWGR_Ix_DQbxEGSZ9O6LSubCxhepUO2ZqRbvsFWp7-otXKuI3zFK7ERsqTxw0JQy6hwxCV_np48B_qCw96Ox2TdBfPkQOMfmwatkXFsB9zwkHVcj1rGCgU4Jv68UQ1cffVQ5RsyYGK5qVBBs1O2LiEdta1eZ_9VCBb-3DnsZ8VksSC1HqAhtLhDE7GGpINqencs0WeKy8D8WV4XUxUACtpcnj8qIdyZUxd9psoHzD3kUDTKsY6yty-1ZD-cjKju5k8Cz_FymNU_n3LXp-EuZccYUQvqro0mNODfwrFnYp0C18tMu_-_Du0JfgDR2t7hImBBgyxvG3gQbn2hTF1er7h3znBeZO0KZwS8qE0mMwBSdjN-cEwrkzV7SeN7jZ3pJGwcPPHzCaAfO5m6AHWxsOYbgWoG7HBOKV4a8zgQIwJr67IZoltyA-5ofk6HEu8L9vymz7JIpyt9XTi_3wn8QGBJ9u0eKzWprUNnxEDvgpjjexZuXRbPbZjIM0Kqq7NgK3MNdn9ldY3HAMPfP8Ni73D6D-yYaPRvxvVhTq4NC7IzCrnKL2uJ0Ou19IUUeFyrn84XSrATSjjpVYKc2rD9IV3Q--oqedjXJb-AR9FjwpOEu2o8I96iMe2WTMHZQm2g715goH4nOs8U8BQ7LP1zGpFxtpvRnfVBk3VK1v5-OjD37TrsvezX-n7k6qIGPY5g061DDrXxzf8AnXsiLClP5OVDTe_7q3rt0Lw=w1920-h880-no

YpC-G6VlpPRDzY1uq0Tf6I_snB1TNWYdsmzfJJ62jQIac0sl90ewkCdVLYzmIvMqlnt3LU6Yjn852vUXQDGcqJABJ1ciXOnyeHbFeT9Ffe1OMYmEgd0EOoOW2JlagCbC6X-kjux4-O02rVzuj0-45WD0yC6FlOfbA4dbHazPpOpm5CZ_9mhaqQE7q9VQ7WVYztoTbGAoaZmh5JpCBRSd0CgiLg4yCaocKsVYQ7utjdetmPfnu_NL269c5LKVSFj4hHtdBOs6tAJlIzsupFtU2u_D4mo6REpMfR9so_xb9XhADFFWVeAwwZhs_avdyVlwksPU4Lw_hqrUxcbgFaCayf0e5577SM9uBvL6SW5TSFp5OT68tusXgW9Ym13i-YvPjheyx-vsOX5rOBIku4Yngu16k_vJ_vOulte2DJi6vkR9Bdex4ALJib3v776LFlxWATWhS165RsxujepjGWCdwLy96iDwbQFvt8XQ6Ai_MNNgYHkkvaZYrv9y8NXD3JavWcCIWaCdmx2F8EHlFPwHs3PeEnDPHoBul8hB_wjqThxYyrGkicNr4SKbNOEPr8beKlKobJy9Q7OPm4fQAdvzfokVkZu6mIrBiPXIhXzRCixg75fUlEFQFJQMFGUZJr0z78_p4c7zo5GzEFouujMnFryjomL3X_jMWEsqpabf5QqI6r99Ipg1GV9wqUxJdN6FBTrYH6v-sYoNTF2pmKw4poZBof0elqTC9Pp-chQgIS6gTrltvJ1yBNuPO7A-1Km1r4lkIokCqe3EWTjL3jPj-LxAhacZJ3v0LmSq=w1920-h880-no

Made it out Sea 'N Air on the North Island Naval Base on Coronado Island this morning. A couple holes are along the water. The course condition has slipped since last time I was there. They are conserving as much water as they can so the signs say. My partner is a retired Command Master Chief. He has lost some distance over the years but is still pretty accurate. Poor guy is fighting an esophogeal cancer and a brain tumor, but he still makes it out twice a week. He has non-stop dad jokes and golf puns all day. A lit cigar almost the whole round too.

Despite a pair of 7s on the card, I still shot an 85. First time out in about six weeks. Mid iron game was off today, but the new 56* wedge is dropping them close with barely any run out. Greens were sloooooow. That took some getting used to.

At 0800 the base plays the Star Spangled Banner and everything stops. Off comes your hat, and you face to wherever the music is coming from. Clouds lifted on the 16th hole, it was beautiful then. We booked a time for next Friday morning. Go Navy!

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
uB7jnnioYVN9N2sWtyG8q2r_0o6yce_dHBsItIkVWfW0IJjjwjAqVAmvQftHwz1JoXTWGR_Ix_DQbxEGSZ9O6LSubCxhepUO2ZqRbvsFWp7-otXKuI3zFK7ERsqTxw0JQy6hwxCV_np48B_qCw96Ox2TdBfPkQOMfmwatkXFsB9zwkHVcj1rGCgU4Jv68UQ1cffVQ5RsyYGK5qVBBs1O2LiEdta1eZ_9VCBb-3DnsZ8VksSC1HqAhtLhDE7GGpINqencs0WeKy8D8WV4XUxUACtpcnj8qIdyZUxd9psoHzD3kUDTKsY6yty-1ZD-cjKju5k8Cz_FymNU_n3LXp-EuZccYUQvqro0mNODfwrFnYp0C18tMu_-_Du0JfgDR2t7hImBBgyxvG3gQbn2hTF1er7h3znBeZO0KZwS8qE0mMwBSdjN-cEwrkzV7SeN7jZ3pJGwcPPHzCaAfO5m6AHWxsOYbgWoG7HBOKV4a8zgQIwJr67IZoltyA-5ofk6HEu8L9vymz7JIpyt9XTi_3wn8QGBJ9u0eKzWprUNnxEDvgpjjexZuXRbPbZjIM0Kqq7NgK3MNdn9ldY3HAMPfP8Ni73D6D-yYaPRvxvVhTq4NC7IzCrnKL2uJ0Ou19IUUeFyrn84XSrATSjjpVYKc2rD9IV3Q--oqedjXJb-AR9FjwpOEu2o8I96iMe2WTMHZQm2g715goH4nOs8U8BQ7LP1zGpFxtpvRnfVBk3VK1v5-OjD37TrsvezX-n7k6qIGPY5g061DDrXxzf8AnXsiLClP5OVDTe_7q3rt0Lw=w1920-h880-no

YpC-G6VlpPRDzY1uq0Tf6I_snB1TNWYdsmzfJJ62jQIac0sl90ewkCdVLYzmIvMqlnt3LU6Yjn852vUXQDGcqJABJ1ciXOnyeHbFeT9Ffe1OMYmEgd0EOoOW2JlagCbC6X-kjux4-O02rVzuj0-45WD0yC6FlOfbA4dbHazPpOpm5CZ_9mhaqQE7q9VQ7WVYztoTbGAoaZmh5JpCBRSd0CgiLg4yCaocKsVYQ7utjdetmPfnu_NL269c5LKVSFj4hHtdBOs6tAJlIzsupFtU2u_D4mo6REpMfR9so_xb9XhADFFWVeAwwZhs_avdyVlwksPU4Lw_hqrUxcbgFaCayf0e5577SM9uBvL6SW5TSFp5OT68tusXgW9Ym13i-YvPjheyx-vsOX5rOBIku4Yngu16k_vJ_vOulte2DJi6vkR9Bdex4ALJib3v776LFlxWATWhS165RsxujepjGWCdwLy96iDwbQFvt8XQ6Ai_MNNgYHkkvaZYrv9y8NXD3JavWcCIWaCdmx2F8EHlFPwHs3PeEnDPHoBul8hB_wjqThxYyrGkicNr4SKbNOEPr8beKlKobJy9Q7OPm4fQAdvzfokVkZu6mIrBiPXIhXzRCixg75fUlEFQFJQMFGUZJr0z78_p4c7zo5GzEFouujMnFryjomL3X_jMWEsqpabf5QqI6r99Ipg1GV9wqUxJdN6FBTrYH6v-sYoNTF2pmKw4poZBof0elqTC9Pp-chQgIS6gTrltvJ1yBNuPO7A-1Km1r4lkIokCqe3EWTjL3jPj-LxAhacZJ3v0LmSq=w1920-h880-no

Made it out Sea 'N Air on the North Island Naval Base on Coronado Island this morning. A couple holes are along the water. The course condition has slipped since last time I was there. They are conserving as much water as they can so the signs say. My partner is a retired Command Master Chief. He has lost some distance over the years but is still pretty accurate. Poor guy is fighting an esophogeal cancer and a brain tumor, but he still makes it out twice a week. He has non-stop dad jokes and golf puns all day. A lit cigar almost the whole round too.

Despite a pair of 7s on the card, I still shot an 85. First time out in about six weeks. Mid iron game was off today, but the new 56* wedge is dropping them close with barely any run out. Greens were sloooooow. That took some getting used to.

At 0800 the base plays the Star Spangled Banner and everything stops. Off comes your hat, and you face to wherever the music is coming from. Clouds lifted on the 16th hole, it was beautiful then. We booked a time for next Friday morning. Go Navy!
First few times working on bases when I was younger, I couldn't figure out while everyone was pulling over... You figure out quickly one way or another lol

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Escena in PS did not disappoint yesterday. absolutely beautiful course, forgiving off the tess box but you could get in trouble quick if not playing smart. Played from the championship tee box to get a solid experience, was on track for a personal best after a 3 over front 9, then had 3 terrible holes on the back, and shot 10 over, the water took me down a few pegs.

100% recommended this course.
PXL_20220709_134704503.MP.jpg

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score

Joker

Reaction score
Played Laughlin Ranch this morning @6. There were people with tee times for 11:00. That just sounds miserable

77charger

Reaction score
I’m in so cal this week for work might try and get a later afternoon t time mid week if I can. Arroyo trabuco is only 5 min away so doing a 4-5 will will good.

Heylam

Reaction score
You’ll like that Ping driver. I have a 425 Max in the bag right now and it’s long and forgiving.

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
You’ll like that Ping driver. I have a 425 Max in the bag right now and it’s long and forgiving.

I’ve played twice since getting the clubs and have seen more fairways and at least 20+ yards with the driver. Been very happy with Ping.

I’ll be honest, Ping wasn’t a thought, but the fitting analyzer steered me towards it. Really glad I got fitted!

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Played a round with Joe @OldSchoolBoats today at Old General in Moreno Valley today. Damn it was hot & muggy. Still a pretty good day.
Good times today for sure. Way too hot though. The one day there is no breeze!! Would still do it again though. Truck was an ice box when I got in.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Foooock!! Forgot about the balls! Yes I still want them. Want to plan an RDP 4 some soon? I played Crossings in Carlsbad the week before last and really liked the course and weather.
I am good most weekends, midweek would take a little advanced warning and a little juggling for me to make it work, but yes I am in for that!

DWC

Reaction score
Doubled up and played 2 rounds in a charity scramble tourney yesterday at Tijeras Creek. Course was in decent shape. The greens are a little overwatered. They blow up when a ball hits them causing brutal divot marks.
The highlight seemed to be the golf ball cannon guy. Both groups I played in couldn’t wait to shoot the damn thing.

801EAF5F-E136-4631-956E-172CF78DF9F7.jpeg
E42FBF20-81ED-4F2C-97FD-0E6433116214.jpeg

B30DE799-E51A-472A-80A9-74342EB1A935.jpeg

JD D05

Reaction score
Great info here. I'm completely open to changing things up, I'm what I consider to be the younger side (35) and fit so if I get stronger fundamentals down I figure it would be helpful. Hell it can't get much worse considering I'm shooting in the 90s right now. I'm going to take your advise and go the chipping green instead of the driving range over the next month or so and see what I can do to improve my short game. It is absolutely where I blow up and is what is keeping me from breaking into the 80's as of late.

I'd like to find an independent trainer in my area that I like so I could get some long-term lessons in place to build my game. Not looking for an overnight fix, just slowly improve as I continue to play more.

I have never had lessons but the guys I play with are really good golfers, mainly my brother has helped me. It is important to know what you do that messes up a swing. I have a couple....With my irons I have a tendency to lean over on the downswing which causes me to hozzle it or hit a big fade. I actually flex my toes up when this starts happening. I also have a cast at the top that will make me come across the ball. I am working on flattening out my swing right know and really driving my hands tight to my body. I hit my irons far, my 7 is 190 - 200 club but I do hit P790's and they are long.

Around and on the green is the best way to improve score for sure. Really focus on the lie you have, is the grass into the ball or with it etc. It's fairly rare I hit my 58, usually I use a 54 and work on hitting it high but i prefer to it low with a solid hooded strike. Some probably disagree but you don't want a full swing 120 and in or so, taking an extra at 80% helps me hit greens. When I putt I am mostly focused on speed, pick your line and commit to it, if the speed is close you should usually have a 3 foot circle to drop in the 2nd putt.

JD D05

Reaction score
Keep him out oh the channel! Nice swing

I have nudged him to baseball and golf... I am going to put up a big hitting net outside for him and want to get a decent sim in the house also.

Reactions: DWC

Joker

Reaction score
Played once At meadowlark this week and Laughlin ranch today. Getting a hip on Thursday so I’m done for a couple months. The pain sucks playing but its easier than boating. What’s crazy is we’ve only had the boat in the water 3 days this year.

TCHB

Reaction score
I have nudged him to baseball and golf... I am going to put up a big hitting net outside for him and want to get a decent sim in the house also.
The nice thing about golf, the Juniors never loose the good swing and in business you get great introductions. I wish I would have played golf as a little guy! Have fun!

Reactions: DWC

TCHB

Reaction score
Played once At meadowlark this week and Laughlin ranch today. Getting a hip on Thursday so I’m done for a couple months. The pain sucks playing but its easier than boating. What’s crazy is we’ve only had the boat in the water 3 days this year.
My wife and I just finished our 75 round this year. Boating Zero! Things change

JD D05

Reaction score
The nice thing about golf, the Juniors never loose the good swing and in business you get great introductions. I wish I would have played golf as a little guy! Have fun!
Yes! It's crazy how golfing young gives you a massive advantage. Even if it's just to be a decent golfer.

DWC

Reaction score
So, you’re saying you can still play this weekend😉

TCHB

Reaction score
Yes! It's crazy how golfing young gives you a massive advantage. Even if it's just to be a decent golfer.
Yes we see it all the time.