WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I am seeing tires in my sleep...

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I am probably over-researching things again but I can't afford to make a mistake here.
We have a 2014 Rzr XP1k, a 2 seater. I am trying like heck to get sorted for a trip down south at the end of next month or so, and I want to do something about the tires.
We've been very very lucky with the Bighorns the car came with. Ive seen a lot of folks with plug kits on the side of the trail and in camp. I've pushed them hard a few times and cringed a bit in some of the stuff we have traversed, but we have never had a problem, knock on wood.

Here is the deal.
We ride in an area that has dunes and if we go another direction from camp we are out on desert type roads, dirt rocky creek beds, and up mountain trails. If I know we are staying in the sand I can get the electric impact out and mount up the paddles and smoothies, but we frequently go into the dunes for a bit with the Bighorns aired down then stop at the end of the sand and air up and take off out in the desert.
We also do ghost town hunting, which can get us into some dicey places 5 or more miles from camp, so I need dependable stuff.
I need a good replacement for the Bighorns that will pull in the sand at least as good as they do, but do better out in the other terrain we run in, and be more stable everywhere, especially at higher speeds.
I am thinking to go 30x10-14 on all four corners. I have a set of GMZ wheels that give the car a much wider stance and I love them and that stability. The new tires will go on those wheels and one of the front bighorns will be mounted on a stock rim as a spare.
I am looking at the Tensor Regulator, the Sedona Rock A Billy, the Super ATV Warrior and one of the EFX line, a Moto something or other.

Any input thoughts you guys may have on this would be appreciated. Any you'd say to absolutely to stay away from would be great, comments on the above group or anther better tire....all would be welcome.

I posted on RzR forums but thought I'd ask you guys for any personal experience you may have had.

Thanks...

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
Do they make a BFG in that size? Might have to step up to a 15 inch wheel for those though. I have had good luck with the GBC stuff ran a 6 hour race and not 1 flat

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply they make a BFG in a 14 inch rim but I have no info on performance in the sand. Not getting a lot of feedback here so thanks for chiming in!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
The older 27” BFG was just an AT i believe they have a few new treads in the 15” under 32” tire believe it’s the ko2 in a 31” but know they do real good against flats etc out here a lot are running them.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I had Mongrels on my "14 RZR 1000 and they were good tires. They were 30x10x15 i believe. We have Tensor DS on our X3 and really like them. They are 32x10x15 (this is the only size they come in). They DS is fairly soft and wear a lot quicker than the Regulator AT and the DS is about $115 more per tire than the AT and the AT has a lot more choice in size. Here is the link to the Tensor site. Good Luck!

https://tensortire.com/

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I’ve got the tensor regulators and while I’ve never driven them in sand I could not be happier with them on trails.

Dand355

Reaction score
Buy two sets. There small.
(The finger was for someone else)

Attachments

• CAM00076.jpg
    CAM00076.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 234

yz450mm

Reaction score
I've been pretty happy with these Tensor Regulators so far, and I prefer their square profile over the rounded profile of the kanati mongrels I had before. They are 8 ply, and also DOT approved.

I have the stock Maxxis Coronado's for sale if you want to buy them, they are great tires and also 8 ply. I just didn't like having a different size in the front and back, but that's just a personal preference.
20180311_005830.jpg
20180311_005809.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HavaToon

Reaction score
To still preform reasonable well in the sand you will need a tire with a very open tread pattern like the bighorn. All of the new AT, MT are more geared to desert terrain so the tighten up the tread for stability and speed in the hard pack.

The ITP terracross would be a great option/example however they don’t make any sizes larger than 26”.