WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I Became My Own Boss Today

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Today was a hell of an emotional day, it still is for that matter. After 8 years with my current employer I decided today was the day to make the move I've been contemplating and dreaming about for the last 7 years.

A little less than 7 years ago I gave my boss my two week notice. I had intended to leave and start up my own consulting/broker firm. A few days after giving my boss my notice my girlfriend told me she was pregnant. After coming to the realization that I was going to be responsible for someone else I rescinded my notice and spent the next 7 years building a career I never thought I was capable of building.

At the beginning of this year I went through a re-org that put me in a position I hated. The new position also left me stuck in Denver despite my plans and previous job offer to move to Phoenix.

Today was the day I said enough is enough and gave my resignation so that I could pursue the dream I intended to pursue 7 years ago. In hindsight I would have failed miserably if I had attempted to pursue my dream 7 years ago, I can only hope that 7 years from now I'm not looking back at the decision I made today and kicking myself in the ass for it.

So that brings the question.. When did you know it was the time for you to become your own boss? When did you know you made the right decision?

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Congratulations!! Nothing like being your own boss.

I became a partner in the firm January 2014. I was going on my own and I got an offer I couldn't refuse. I had always set my goal of going on my own at the age of 35 and that's exactly what I did. :thumbup:

Riverson

CHA PLEASE
Reaction score
I've been my own boss for 30 years. I went to school got my degree, put in a couple of years in corporate setting. This is a very subjective thing. Remember being self employed you have no one to catch you if you fall. I suggest a strong savings is the first step to the process. The best thing is the profit is yours! The real scary part is employees count on you to pay bills. Business plan is a must. There will be ups and downs in business and economy especially early in the process...reserves reserves reserves.

I felt successful after the business turned 10. The finances were solid and the industry was stable.
I love the idea I can work as much or as little as I want, and head to the river anytime!

GOOD LUCK!
Keep your head about you.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Today was a hell of an emotional day, it still is for that matter. After 8 years with my current employer I decided today was the day to make the move I've been contemplating and dreaming about for the last 7 years.

A little less than 7 years ago I gave my boss my two week notice. I had intended to leave and start up my own consulting/broker firm. A few days after giving my boss my notice my girlfriend told me she was pregnant. After coming to the realization that I was going to be responsible for someone else I rescinded my notice and spent the next 7 years building a career I never thought I was capable of building.

At the beginning of this year I went through a re-org that put me in a position I hated. The new position also left me stuck in Denver despite my plans and previous job offer to move to Phoenix.

Today was the day I said enough is enough and gave my resignation so that I could pursue the dream I intended to pursue 7 years ago. In hindsight I would have failed miserably if I had attempted to pursue my dream 7 years ago, I can only hope that 7 years from now I'm not looking back at the decision I made today and kicking myself in the ass for it.

So that brings the question.. When did you know it was the time for you to become your own boss? When did you know you made the right decision?

After 9 very successful years of employment with a major corporation I told my boss to go fuck herself right in front of the office while I slammed my fist down on her desk. I knew it was time right then......lol I had the next day off and two weeks vacation so as they say......that was that. Best decision I ever made in my life.

Good luck on your new venture and prepare for some hard work for a number of years. Have an exit plan from day one. I still don't have one and that is one of my biggest regrets.

What field did you start the new business in? Send me a PM if you prefer.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
Congrats and the best of luck to you. It's a big step being on your own but I do enjoy being my own boss.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I've been my own boss for 30 years. I went to school got my degree, put in a couple of years in corporate setting. This is a very subjective thing. Remember being self employed you have no one to catch you if you fall. I suggest a strong savings is the first step to the process. The best thing is the profit is yours! The real scary part is employees count on you to pay bills. Business plan is a must. There will be ups and downs in business and economy especially early in the process...reserves reserves reserves.

I felt successful after the business turned 10. The finances were solid and the industry was stable.
I love the idea I can work as much or as little as I want, and head to the river anytime!

GOOD LUCK!
Keep your head about you.

Whoa.. Wait a second. There's profits? Lol. I have been doin this all wrong!

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Congratulations and Best of Luck to you , in 1986 I quit a good paying career management position with benefits to start one of my 3 business's with very limited funds and a plan , my friends thought I was nuts , With the help and support of my wife and son I'm very proud of what we have accomplished, occasionally I look back and wonder sometimes how things may have been but the freedom of self employment has been priceless I have enjoyed being able to stay home or take a day or two off without asking someone , pick up my kids from school , go in late , come home early, work xtra if necessary and this list goes on Its not always simple and depending on the nature of the business prepare for some tough times along with the good times Personally I get up everyday and say "Carpe Diem" Tom

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
After 9 very successful years of employment with a major corporation I told my boss to go fuck herself right in front of the office while I slammed my fist down on her desk. I knew it was time right then......lol I had the next day off and two weeks vacation so as they say......that was that. Best decision I ever made in my life.

Good luck on your new venture and prepare for some hard work for a number of years. Have an exit plan from day one. I still don't have one and that is one of my biggest regrets.

What field did you start the new business in? Send me a PM if you prefer.

Going through the same thing....finishing my masters and gaining experience in the project management field....I want to be my own boss one day..getting fed up working under someone

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
Yep. :thumbup:

Every customer of mine is the Boss.

X2, and they really don't care what you have going on, they expect that to be dropped and their situation handled. Every once in awhile that really pisses me off, but then I remind myself if I don't handle it, they'll call someone else.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Going through the same thing....finishing my masters and gaining experience in the project management field....I want to be my own boss one day..getting fed up working under someone

You never can tell what the spark will be....

Tinkerer

Reaction score
I quit my job of 20 years at one of the largest HVAC firms in G.R. MI. 12 years ago this month. Best decision I ever made.

TCHB

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new adventure!

HB2LHC

Reaction score
Congrats.:thumbup: My company just celebrated 10yrs in business.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Just passed my 17 year anniversary of starting my own business.

Worked for the same company for 13 years, good steady job, low stress, decent pay. I knew I didn't want to be a tech for the rest of my life.

In two weeks, i quit my long term job, sold my house, packed up the family and moved, starting something new I knew absolutely nothing about. How's that for stupid??....

wishiknew

Reaction score

Worked for the same company for 13 years, good steady job, low stress, decent pay. I knew I didn't want to be a tech for the rest of my life.

In two weeks, i quit my long term job, sold my house, packed up the family and moved, starting something new I knew absolutely nothing about. How's that for stupid??....

27th year in July

CornWater

Hey Now!!!
Reaction score

Fitting?

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Never stop putting your profits back into the business Boozer, eventually you'll be able to to take a chunk and make sure your wife understands your vision. :yikes

530RL

Reaction score
As a self employed individual, you will now find out what all self employed people know.

Our bosses are assholes....:D

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
I was 22 or 23 working for my dad. He had a stroke and couldn't work so I took over the family business the next day.
I had a huge learning cure but we had/have great employees and even contractors that really stepped up to help me out at the time. After 6 months my dad came back to work and threw me back to doing the work.
I really liked running the company so I tried talking to him about taking a bigger role in the company and him being a control freak that wasn't happening. So I started doing side job and started getting busier every month till one day I said I'm going on my own see ya.
Best decision I ever made but also the hardest one.
One thing that happened to me is there will be times you doubt yourself. Do I know my trade? Don't worry everyone does sometimes.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
One of my guys told me how lucky I was to be in charge. "You don't have a boss" he says to me.

I said: "Look at the job board... you see those 26 jobs?"

"Yeah"...

"I have 26 bosses!" Plus their husbands or wives.... I explained how he had it easy, because he had only 1 boss.

It ain't easy. Sometimes you don't get paid. I didn't take a check for the first 6 months.

454Rocket

I thought RDSUX?
Reaction score
My goal is to take home per month what I previously made per year... I'm 1/2 way there 3 years in. Your own business is the only way to do it. Good luck!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I was the boss with 25+ employees......I didn't get to go home at 5pm. I got called at 2am if a window was left open by them, or a car was found unlocked, or they didn't do this or didn't do that, yada, yada, yada, etc.
Now I'm my own boss again but with ZERO employees. Best thing that ever happened to me.

mlt

Reaction score
Best of luck in your new venture....I went on my own as a kid in 1980...just started our 35th year and still going strong, it is a labor of love and I would not change a thing! :thumbup:

Hammer

Reaction score
It has to take a lot of Capital to start your own gig. Not sure how some of you guys did it without some financial help. Good for you though:thumbup: I'm in a good spot but can't help to think I could do it better on my own.

Good luck on your future!

454Rocket

I thought RDSUX?
Reaction score
It has to take a lot of Capital to start your own gig.

That's completely false. You could go start your own detail company with $500 in supplies and ride your bike from gig to gig, for example. Someone I know did it. All it takes is being broke for awhile, no kids, and no wife.

Every millionaire I know started out of his preverbal "garage." That's where I stored aircraft parts for a long time :)

cmeir

Reaction score
That's completely false. You could go start your own detail company with $500 in supplies and ride your bike from gig to gig, for example. Someone I know did it. All it takes is being broke for awhile, no kids, and no wife.

Every millionaire I know started out of his preverbal "garage." That's where I stored aircraft parts for a long time :)
I am my own boss got divorce because I could not leave job outside the house .When you are youre own boss everyone gets paid you are last person my phone well ring 5.00 am builder pissed off at you . PAY the materials then my people and listen to all there problems TRUST ME there times when i say screw it go work for some when else then the phone well ring something good . Biggest issue getting paid builder think i am the bank I well call the builder find out where my check is at in the mail ha ha . ALL you guys that sub Contractors understand what we go threw I have around 40 general contractors i work for 5 of them pay good

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
It has to take a lot of Capital to start your own gig. Not sure how some of you guys did it without some financial help. Good for you though:thumbup: I'm in a good spot but can't help to think I could do it better on my own.

Good luck on your future!

Absolutely false. I started one of my business with $20. $20 because that's what it took to open a checking account. It is my main source if income and had provided enough to invest in a few other business. Sweat equity and a good opportunity!!!

PVHCA

Reaction score
Going on 19 years in my empire and I don't regret ever leaving the corporate world. There are good and bad to being a business owner, as long as the good out weighs the bad I'm gonna keep doing what I enjoy, or until I hit the lotto and it's fuck this place, LOL

Good luck in your new venture.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
The best part about being in business for yourself is you can choose your own hours.

All of them!!

Brian

dezertrider

Reaction score
I have 23 years in my trade. I know have 6 years of experience as CPA, Counselor, Asshole, Tech Support, IT, HR, Payroll, Babysitter, Estimator, crises manager, Purchasing and customer service manager.

I'm just hoping this year is the year I make more than when I was working for someone.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Today was an interesting day and I thought I'd post an update about my ventures into self employment.

I got my first check today. It was a really nice feeling and made me feel validated with my choice to go down this road.

Ironically, the client that gave me the check also made me a job offer a couple days ago. Today I met with the client and gave his offer serious consideration, at nearly double what I made in my previous position it was incredibly tempting but I passed on the offer.

I built a pretty stout reputation in my industry and a lot of folks are bringing a good amount of business to me as a result. I honestly didn't expect things to get moving this strong and this quick but they have and I couldn't be more blessed.

Despite the instant interest and what looks to be a solid future ahead I have to say the best part of this all is that I get to pick my son up from school any day of the week and take him to lunch after. I'm planning a trip w/ the kids to So Cal in July and I don't have to get a time off approval to do it. I'd honestly be content making half the money I made from my previous employer to be afforded the kind of flexibility and time I get to spend with my kids.

With that being said I have to get back to working.. My boss can be a real dick if I don't put in late hours on nights I don't have my kids.

ryanshaw07

Reaction score
Congrats!!
I am starting my new adventure as of today as well. The schooling and tests are done. I'm now waiting on the state to send me my license! It was tough working construction full time, having a newborn and trying to study. I took the final tests today and passed... Couldn't be more excited, nervous and anxious.
I'm going to be my own boss.
It's all up to me now

shawngr

Reaction score
Congrats[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻

Wombat

The Great Southern land
Reaction score
Congrats,
If you have big balls, strong back and bucket loads of common sense you will end up a very happy man, go for it :D:thumbup::thumbup:
All the very best for the future.:thumbup:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Self employed my entire adult life.

I have very little time for the last word in that sentence but I make every min. of it count. :thumbsup

When someone asks me should i start my own Business and my answer is a Question....Do you wake up in the morning wanting to "get after" your day? If yes then you will make it happen.

If no work for the Government.:D

PVHCA

Reaction score
Today was an interesting day and I thought I'd post an update about my ventures into self employment.

I got my first check today. It was a really nice feeling and made me feel validated with my choice to go down this road.

Ironically, the client that gave me the check also made me a job offer a couple days ago. Today I met with the client and gave his offer serious consideration, at nearly double what I made in my previous position it was incredibly tempting but I passed on the offer.

I built a pretty stout reputation in my industry and a lot of folks are bringing a good amount of business to me as a result. I honestly didn't expect things to get moving this strong and this quick but they have and I couldn't be more blessed.

Despite the instant interest and what looks to be a solid future ahead I have to say the best part of this all is that I get to pick my son up from school any day of the week and take him to lunch after. I'm planning a trip w/ the kids to So Cal in July and I don't have to get a time off approval to do it. I'd honestly be content making half the money I made from my previous employer to be afforded the kind of flexibility and time I get to spend with my kids.

With that being said I have to get back to working.. My boss can be a real dick if I don't put in late hours on nights I don't have my kids.

You are already taking time off? LOL

Don't run before you walk and make sure you put back for the rainy days that will come. Nothing wrong with having a tight belt loop, you will thank yourself in the coming years.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
You are already taking time off? LOL

Don't run before you walk and make sure you put back for the rainy days that will come. Nothing wrong with having a tight belt loop, you will thank yourself in the coming years.

You never take time off. You just get to work from remote locations.