WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I don’t get the Toon

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
So I bought the Tri Toon and gave it two seasons. It is an 2020 Avalon Tri Toon 25 with 250 OB and it goes 48 mph on the top end.

This is a great boat. It is smooth, quiet, lots of room, very utilitarian, seats up 14 comfortably, drives great, handles rough water well. The 250 OB is powerful and runs great. We tube and can do wakeboarding if we want. (not well). We have a lake house so it is always there and we even pull it up on the beach which makes things convenient. The loading is easy on and off. It’s a great setup for our house.

I barely clean it. Just hose it off and go. No scrubbing or detailing like those fancy fiberglass boats.

All in all I have no complaints. Everyone really likes it especially the wife. ( she is gonna be pissed if we sell the toon)

Having said all that BS, I don’t fucking get it. This boat is boring as sin. While it is great and does all the things mentioned, it does nothing for me.

Luckily I still have my Speedster. Good thing I didn’t sell that….. I would never sell the performance boat for this thing.

I get it if your done with performance boats and that makes sense. But this boat was made for old folks and those looking for a slower place of life. Lol

No I don’t think having two 400’s would change my mind. That just means you have a 3 large beer kegs held together by a big piece plywood with a lot of power attached to it that only goes 65.

We are trading it in for a Malibu tidal wave boat. It does everything a Toon does but much more. We can enjoy watersports more with it.

If you told me 5 years ago I would have owned both a Toon and wakeboard boat I would have said you were crazy. Lol

BTW to each their own…

Last edited:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
The offender

9484D641-CF9E-4B7D-BA40-4B8977325C00.jpeg

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
The most exciting day I had on my toon was taking the new owners out on it, knowing I was selling it for a grip more cash than I bought it for.
Excitement: 0-
Function:10+

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
First off, if your sin is boring, you're doing it wrong ;)

Different boats for different things. For us, we bounce beach to beach, rarely tube, and don't water ski. As long as it floats, runs and can move us and our snacks, we're ok. It's all about what boat checks the boxes you need.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Negative

Everyone knows the perfect Parker boat is a 42’ Fountain.

However I am looking forward to crushing some docks though by being an inconsiderate prick with my tidal wave…..;)

Lol. Going from a toon to a roll bar boat. Let me guess your home port is lake parker

Side bar….. there is absolutely no reason to do that. The dealer was proud to show me how the Malibu dumps all 5000 lbs of water ballast in just a few minutes. Cruising around with ballast is a douche move....

Last edited:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
We do the same. Toon is perfect for that. Plus it holds 7 coolers….

But a tidal wave boat can do the same so I look at it as a push.

First off, if your sin is boring, you're doing it wrong ;)

Different boats for different things. For us, we bounce beach to beach, rarely tube, and don't water ski. As long as it floats, runs and can move us and our snacks, we're ok. It's all about what boat checks the boxes you need.

BTW if this is our sin we are BOTH doing sin wrong. Lol;)

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
Bought our first toon as a second boat and it quickly became the go to boat. We had a 28 Skater as our fast boat. We quickly realized that we spent 95% of the time hanging out at what ever the chosen spot was for the day. We were also able to take everyone on our boat instead of a few boats. As we started taking our dogs with us and began doing Havasu year round our boating changed. We found ourselves going to coves and beaches other than just the party spots. Some of these beaches don't have the best sand so having a toon to beach was perfect. Our Skater sat as the toon got used 90% of the time. We ended up selling the Skater because it just sat in the garage. Looking back I wish I would have kept the Skater, but I can't see us going without a toon. We also keep our toon on a lift in the Marina in a covered slip so that adds to the ease of use. Overall the toon is just a very functional boat.

If you want to talk about "boring" the conversation for me would be underpowered performance boats, especially cats. That's what I really don't understand...

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Our lakes in Norcal have no beaches. So we anchor 100% of the time. Making the toon a good swim platform. The right tool for the job.

I owned an underpowered cat for many years. While it successors were a lot more exciting being faster, the slow cat was still more fun than the toon…

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
Bought our first toon as a second boat and it quickly became the go to boat. We had a 28 Skater as our fast boat. We quickly realized that we spent 95% of the time hanging out at what ever the chosen spot was for the day. We were also able to take everyone on our boat instead of a few boats. As we started taking our dogs with us and began doing Havasu year round our boating changed. We found ourselves going to coves and beaches other than just the party spots. Some of these beaches don't have the best sand so having a toon to beach was perfect. Our Skater sat as the toon got used 90% of the time. We ended up selling the Skater because it just sat in the garage. Looking back I wish I would have kept the Skater, but I can't see us going without a toon. We also keep our toon on a lift in the Marina in a covered slip so that adds to the ease of use. Overall the toon is just a very functional boat.

If you want to talk about "boring" the conversation for me would be underpowered performance boats, especially cats. That's what I really don't understand...
I agree. My brother has a 26’ shockwave with a 496HO and I constantly feel bored. I don’t mind the pontoons because I know what it’s purpose is. Driving the 26’ cat at 45mph at 4000rpm blows.

gqchris

Reaction score
In a perfect world you really need three boats. A performance boat, a pontoon and a wakeboard boat. One for each activity you are doing that day or the company you are entertaining.🤑
Exactly. Look at the true ballers on here. They own one of two of each flavor.

My Dream Garage would be:

Tritoon with twin 450's
m31 DCB with Twins
and a Mach 22 with Twin 2.5 Outboards for the early morning runs!
A 21' Daytona with a huge blower and a jet would round out my stable!

Last edited:

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
Sad part is the toon is probably faster than the new wave maker haha

badgas

Reaction score
I don't have a dog in the fight as I don't even own a boat. We have my daughters 19 maxum at the house in Havasu and it provides a lot of joy.

Toons look very useful would be on my list when I do get a boat. I would also like a bass boat and an old school jet boat.

A wake surf boat would be last on the list maybe because 99% of them just cruise around SLOW blasting annoying female rap music with a bunch of basic white kids making tik Tok videos Just my observation from my paddle board 😂

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I told my wife that we are still young enough to partake in wakeboarding and surfing still. Plus the kids are interested in the wakeboarding and surfing.

I figure we will buy another Toon in the future when we no longer can do those sports.

We essentially did it backwards. We should have bought the Malibu now and the Toon later.

I don't think we would own a Malibu if we didn't want to actually surf and wakeboard. Then the toon makes more sense.

Last edited:

Icky

Reaction score
We've been kicking the idea around of getting a pontoon and getting rid of the Daytona. More room for the kid to run around, but im not sure I'm sold on it, even though I have a slow Daytona.

Friends of ours went from a spectre to an Avalon after their daughter was born. We've been on it multiple times, super nice boat. But it's a different kind on smile on his face doing 100+ vs 50.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Bottom line Toons are a very CIVILIZED way to travel. Very Civilized!!!!. Nothing at all wrong with that.

The problem is some us are NOT very civilized (myself included)

I still like the sound of a big block. I miss that sound with the OB's which is one downside to them. Some say the quiet operation is a plus and I guess it is to a certain extent.

I guess we are just unsophisticated and vulgar loud-boat operators!!! I am OK with that.... ;) :cool:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I was this close to NOT buying my Speedster. But I am glad I did.... even with the OB's. LOL

I will eventually go back to twin inboards say 30-31'. I just don't have the room to store that where I live. (no storage available that size)

We've been kicking the idea around of getting a pontoon and getting rid of the Daytona. More room for the kid to run around, but im not sure I'm sold on it, even though I have a slow Daytona.

Friends of ours went from a spectre to an Avalon after their daughter was born. We've been on it multiple times, super nice boat. But it's a different kind on smile on his face doing 100+ vs 50.

Me either... LOL ;) (getting old sux!!)

Two boats I would never own a Toon or Wake Surf Boat!

RCDave

Reaction score
How are you liking the Daytona with the OB's??

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
whatever suits the family works! Better than staring at iPhones and each other on a couch at home. My random thoughts:

Wake/surf boats are slow tugs. Boring. They are comfortable and check a lot of boxes though. If I were to buy a new boat, it would be a Ski Nautique or Mastercraft Prostar as I just want to waterski or pull kids on tube. I like small and functional. I’d rather have a Sanger flatbottom for myself again or maybe a 19-21 ft day cruiser performance boat. Having grown up around small boats, I’m just not into big boats. Definitely not toons. But, I’m just a broke ass with no boat now, standing on the dock with a water ski and rope trying to bum a ride. Lol.

Reactions: DWC

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
The Speedster with the OB's is bad ass. It runs great. Fast handles great. Luv it.

OB rides and drives SO much different than the IO so it took some time to get used to it. It just feels lighter but better.

it is so different I still have not gone full speed. I have only gone 103mph to date. Usually I have too many people on board to do so. Some day.

How are you liking the Daytona with the OB's??

Last edited:

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Toons are for hanging out on with friend and family which is probably 90% of the memories you make on the water. After owning a toon now for awhile there is one thing that stand out to me more than anything, I can't help but look at wake boats and runabouts on the water and everyone in them looking uncomfortable and as if they are all sitting in a hole.

DWC

Reaction score
The Speedster with the OB's is bad ass. It runs great. Fast handles great. Luv it.

OB rides and drives SO much different than the IO so it took some time to get used to it. It just feels lighter but better.

it is so different I still have not gone full speed. I have only gone 103mph to date. Usually I have too many people on board to do so. Some day.
How much more do you think it has in it?

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Spot on. The seats on the toon are like couches. Super comfy

Toons are for hanging out on with friend and family which is probably 90% of the memories you make on the water. After owning a toon now for awhile there is one thing that stand out to me more than anything, I can't help but look at wake boats and runabouts on the water and everyone in them looking uncomfortable and as if they are all sitting in a hole.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Not sure. Another 1000 RPM is left in it.

It does 100 mph with ease. It has more.

Plus I got the wrong props.

They never ran it out like I asked. (too busy). I knew I wasn’t going to do it. Lol

I just got my lifeline so I may find out.

How much more do you think it has in it?

DaveH

Reaction score
this is going to be an unpopular post. whatever.

i never liked toon's. from day one of their "rebirth".

people talk how they use their toon to hang at beaches with friends.....like we haven't been doing that for the last umpteen years with glass boats :)

sorry folks.....but this is the west coast "hot boat" scene and the website of choice to be part of that......not for your toon with a big OB on it.

its like taking your mini van to a car show.

I understand mobility issues with some older folks and things of that nature and maybe for them a toon makes sense. but I just don't get the souped up toons.......no matter how cool you try and make your mini van, that's what it will always be.....a mini van.

maybe I'm old school.....whatever......but there is no way I would ever own one of them.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Thats an old school RDP post. Before we all went soft.

Well done. (Agreed BTW)

The way I view this site is most of the peeps either owned or were interested in hot boats (or the river life style) at one time. But for some life goes on and things change. It is what it is

We all all boating enthusiasts though

Last edited:

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
i think you'll either be disappointed with the wakeboat or absolutely love it. On one hand they're as "utility" as your pontoon... storage for days, every square inch maximized to hold something, or do something. Theres little "wasted space." Easy to get in/out of, designed to just be soaking wet 24-7 from people climbing in/out, etc. You'll have "cruise control" so that 6 year old professional wakeboarder that requires 7.2568592895 mph gets their perfect ride.

On the other hand every single one of them weighs too much, the hull design rides extremely bumpy. Theres no way to trim, etc to control how the boat rides, getting on plane takes forever and you have to stand up to see over the bow and once it finally does plane out... you're stuck at a blistering 40-50mph.

DaveH

Reaction score
maybe toons are the new woke boat of choice 😂

RCDave

Reaction score

Awesome. Glad you found Daytona happiness!

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
You ever come to Havasu? I'll let you drive mine.. When you add another 550 HP to that, and get a better model it does change things a bit.

RD
It's still just a toon

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Nope. It does look fun though.

I talked to Preston. He told me all about it.
He said line up next to a twin toon off the line and it will hurt your feelings. Lol. Very true!! It pulled my old 27 hard outta the hole. But I quickly caught up.

As a people mover yore toon can’t be beat!!

But with a boat load of people when we go over 50 mph we start getting the stink eye from some of the karens. Lol

You ever come to Havasu? I'll let you drive mine.. When you add another 550 HP to that, and get a better model it does change things a bit.

RD

Plus some got the same or more $$ into a twin Trifecta as I have in my speedster.

Another thing I like about my Avalon is it was affordable (relatively speaking)

I figure the twin toon is for the guy who gave up on the performance boat.

Last edited:

NoOtherWay

Reaction score
I've never got the Toon hype either. For the same money as these twin toons, you can get a nice 28' deck boat. Comes down to whatever floats your boat I guess. 😎

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
All very true.

But you just mostly described my toon. But I will add that it handles and turns like a school bus. Lol

I guess the whole point is to throw a tidal wave which is what we are after (for now)

i think you'll either be disappointed with the wakeboat or absolutely love it. On one hand they're as "utility" as your pontoon... storage for days, every square inch maximized to hold something, or do something. Theres little "wasted space." Easy to get in/out of, designed to just be soaking wet 24-7 from people climbing in/out, etc. You'll have "cruise control" so that 6 year old professional wakeboarder that requires 7.2568592895 mph gets their perfect ride.

On the other hand every single one of them weighs too much, the hull design rides extremely bumpy. Theres no way to trim, etc to control how the boat rides, getting on plane takes forever and you have to stand up to see over the bow and once it finally does plane out... you're stuck at a blistering 40-50mph.

Icky

Reaction score
this is going to be an unpopular post. whatever.

i never liked toon's. from day one of their "rebirth".

people talk how they use their toon to hang at beaches with friends.....like we haven't been doing that for the last umpteen years with glass boats :)

sorry folks.....but this is the west coast "hot boat" scene and the website of choice to be part of that......not for your toon with a big OB on it.

its like taking your mini van to a car show.

I understand mobility issues with some older folks and things of that nature and maybe for them a toon makes sense. but I just don't get the souped up toons.......no matter how cool you try and make your mini van, that's what it will always be.....a mini van.

maybe I'm old school.....whatever......but there is no way I would ever own one of them.
😁
hqdefault.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
For the most part i don’t think they’re too bad. Not a fan of the bass boat/glitter look.

Plus you get to cruise around with full ballasts and F with people.
View attachment 1036236 View attachment 1036237

http://instagr.am/p/B9VOhL_nmgX/

That wake is ridiculous and people who own boats that have this capability need to be held responsible for the damages they cause. This crap has gotten out of control. If you wanna surf, then go to the beach and learn to surf on a wave.

I'm with the anti-tooners on here. Sorry, I think they are hideous and extremely over-priced for what you actually get. Two giant metal cans held together by some plywood with some couches thrown on top. Add on an aluminum railing from your mobile home stairs and voila, $100K bote!

I'll pass. 😁

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That wake is ridiculous and people who own boats that have this capability need to be held responsible for the damages they cause. This crap has gotten out of control. If you wanna surf, then go to the beach and learn to surf on a wave.

I'm with the anti-tooners on here. Sorry, I think they are hideous and extremely over-priced for what you actually get. Two giant metal cans held together by some plywood with some couches thrown on top. Add on an aluminum railing from your mobile home stairs and voila, $100K bote!

I'll pass. 😁

Well if you spend over a 100 you actually get 3 metal cans? :D

I will say this.. to look at them I don't see the appeal aesthetics wise.. but I swear to god if you ride around in that toon I bought everybody gawks at it, and makes comments about twin 400's.. I park it on the dock next to Big Elims and DCB's and everyone walks over to the toon and wants to know all about it. In general all of them say "That's what I'm getting next".

Personally I never much cared what other people thought of my boats, because I had a boat that most people in modern times have never heard of being my Schiada.. I don't think my 98 Hallett was gonna win any beauty contests.. LOL. Some day in the future I'd love to get a 24 Spectra and run it with a big turbo motor.

None of these would even appeal to the fast boat crowd of modern times. To me they are all the things I love and want. The point being I never much cared about other peoples thoughts on my boats.. This pontoon thing shocks me every single time I take it out.

RD