WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I don’t get the Toon

mbrown2

Reaction score
compare your transom deadrise to that of lets say the hallett 245... a very respectable good sized havasu boat. it aint even close... thats why even on a bad day that thing can cruise full throttle.
The deadrise is not the same as a Hallett but the Chris Craft is also not as steep as the Hallett but rides as nice as the Hallett...its not all aft deadrise that creates the ride...... Not sure which Mastercraft you are riding in but would be happy to take you for a ride in an newer XT-25.... I don't backoff in rough water in Parker......My neighbor had a Hallett 255...IMO the XT-25 rides as plush as the 255 at the same MPH...as the Hallett is much faster and rides diff on the top end. ...I have ridden/driven both...

Duramax

Reaction score
I was this close to NOT buying my Speedster. But I am glad I did.... even with the OB's. LOL

I will eventually go back to twin inboards say 30-31'. I just don't have the room to store that where I live. (no storage available that size)

Me either... LOL ;) (getting old sux!!)
You aren't liking the outboards?

Shit, just read your opinion!

Duramax

Reaction score
Exactly. Look at the true ballers on here. They own one of two of each flavor.

My Dream Garage would be:

Tritoon with twin 450's
m31 DCB with Twins
and a Mach 22 with Twin 2.5 Outboards for the early morning runs!
A 21' Daytona with a huge blower and a jet would round out my stable!
You mean a 21 with twin Drags..=)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It's impressive that the wake boats and the bass boats are both into the glitter scene! The builders know their HeyLAM crowd all too well...

😁:p

Rippin it...

chrisparrish1ball43100613ON.jpg

👍👍

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score

here is my '02

I got away from a performance custom that I was deeply involved in when designing and watching it get built. After several years and 800 hours on it I found myself at a turning point. Either replace the motor or sell it and buy a new boat. Fast forward... New performance boat was gonna cost me $250K.

What was going to be important to me? I didn't want t give up the ability to feel like I could go fast, I wanted functional comforts and some nice features. Again, being an enthusiast of performance customs, this became tricky. I have an eye for details and the fit and finish in pontoons (production boat) just isn't the same. Fast forward...

I bought a 25' Berkshire with a merc 400r. Berkshire is made by Forest River Marine, the same company that builds Trifecta and Southbay. It was a matter of which boat to find in inventory or wait to have one built.

here is a link to a brief review I wrote in another section,

2019 Berkshire Pontoon, 25 Sport RFX Dual Console, Single Mercury Racing 400R

Pontoon life... Good livin, its the simple things that makes it good! Here is the down and dirty for me, I had put almost 100 hours each year on my old boat, I had been talking about how I wanted to upgrade into a new motor for years, it was going to be pricey... Maybe just buy a new boat? The...
www.riverdavesplace.com

the bottom line here is, ask yourself what your boating priorities are(?). I could not see spending the money it was going take to build another performance custom to my own expectations and I would have been well over double the price I paid for the toon. I decided simplicity was the way to go, easy on and off with guests. Simplicity for service, maintenance. I didn't want to take all day to get from one end of the lake to the other. The smooth comfortable ride is no joke, I have been caught saying this about lake chop, "running on top, without spilling a drop". I sold this boat last February and am currently waiting to place an order on another pontoon for next season.

DWC

Reaction score
I like toons for chill days on the water. Plenty of shade, space etc. The dual wacker toons are nice for cruising. I am saving this for the boys when they turn 16 and can launch themselves.

View attachment 1036688
I missed the market but plan on doing the same deal. Something for the kids to launch when we’re not here.

Reactions: SJP

Husqy510

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the pontoons either, though they definitely serve a purpose. We have a house on the river and the truth is you need options. We have a Howard cat, which is great for cruising down to Topock and the gorge. The Malibu is great for the kids and large groups, but the boat that gets used the most is the 14' aluminum fishing boat with a 25hp outboard!

curtiej10

Reaction score
I can answer maybe. Im 52 and bought my toon at 47. Coming from a magic deck boat the toon lacks a few things. Motor sound, the feeling of 'driving' something that is some what exciting to actually drive. When driving the toon I find myself looking for more. More speed, more trim, more picking my lines in traffic.
It also takes twice as long to clean. Yes I clean it every time, regardless if its a pontoon.

On the flip side. Once on a beach it cant be beat. So you have the sacrifice of a boring operating experience for a great beach and party place.

For me, I wasnt fully ready to give up the operating experience which I didnt know until after I sold the Magic. I still have the toon, it has been flawless and looks great in the toon world.

This is where I get stuck, Im not going to pay 200k for a faster toon. Im going to buy a deck boat or open bow cat like a Nordic SS, Thor, etc.
No matter what a toon cost its still modular construction and the quality is there but its not a custom level in the same price range.

Your new boat is interesting. It will have that custom feel Im personally missing. Will it be exciting to operate, probably not unless it has twins with the bigger price tag.
Im assuming yours will have graphic options, like a real custom one of a kind gel design.

Pontoon boating is NOT the same as other boating. For some it better. For me its equal.
We are mashing the speed boat and toon world together. I had a speedster with twin outboards and driving under 60 sucked cause it doesn’t pack enough air and driving over 75 most people don’t want that much wind in there face.
This toon will look like no other and fully custom from colors, graphics to interior choices. Also it’s not built by a motorhome company like all toon company’s are. This will have the quality of a high end custom boat manufacturer. We came from that side of the boat manufacturing.

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
We have mid western guys on the board now too.. I wanted to let them know I was talking about those boats with the Buck Racks on the top of em.. ;) :D

RD

I rekon so! 😊🤙

Duramax

Reaction score
Those are fun boats. My wife refused to ride in mine when I had one. Split pedal you drove it like a skid steer. Crazy acceleration.
I loved your report on it. My wife and daughter love it, and like you said, it handles chop amazingly well. Accelerates like nothing I have been on in the water that is for sure.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
New Sea Doo toon: From $18k. Read that: FROM
6D45A8DF-748B-4DFD-8FB9-DEE32ECCD881.png
534A33FC-E322-4964-A77E-BBA300D35F0D.png
019C0469-85BE-41DD-969A-238EBCFE0CEE.png
01270676-F26D-4ABE-8227-B4F27C1564D8.png

Lego swimstep and furniture.

Last edited:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Listen here.

If you keep this up I’m gonna sell my diesel truck and get a half ton. And not even a F150 but a Silverado 1500 instead.

Then post pictures of me towing with it

;) :p

Remember the days when your calf burned from the water hitting it all day? Remember when your arms felt like rubber, and you could hardly get back in the boat?

No???

That's probably why you wanna buy a wake board boat...

Nuf said. :cool:

MSzgqU.jpg

Last edited:

badluck

Reaction score
So I bought the Tri Toon and gave it two seasons. It is an 2020 Avalon Tri Toon 25 with 250 OB and it goes 48 mph on the top end.

This is a great boat. It is smooth, quiet, lots of room, very utilitarian, seats up 14 comfortably, drives great, handles rough water well. The 250 OB is powerful and runs great. We tube and can do wakeboarding if we want. (not well). We have a lake house so it is always there and we even pull it up on the beach which makes things convenient. The loading is easy on and off. It’s a great setup for our house.

I barely clean it. Just hose it off and go. No scrubbing or detailing like those fancy fiberglass boats.

All in all I have no complaints. Everyone really likes it especially the wife. ( she is gonna be pissed if we sell the toon)

Having said all that BS, I don’t fucking get it. This boat is boring as sin. While it is great and does all the things mentioned, it does nothing for me.

Luckily I still have my Speedster. Good thing I didn’t sell that….. I would never sell the performance boat for this thing.

I get it if your done with performance boats and that makes sense. But this boat was made for old folks and those looking for a slower place of life. Lol

No I don’t think having two 400’s would change my mind. That just means you have a 3 large beer kegs held together by a big piece plywood with a lot of power attached to it that only goes 65.

We are trading it in for a Malibu tidal wave boat. It does everything a Toon does but much more. We can enjoy watersports more with it.

If you told me 5 years ago I would have owned both a Toon and wakeboard boat I would have said you were crazy. Lol

BTW to each their own…
What lake?

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
What do you own now? What is it looks, performance?
Literally is like an ugly assed minivan. Slow, no power, good at a lot of stuff but not great at anything.

Not about performance. I can have fun in a jonboat with an 18hp motor.

Toons are for old decrepit people.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

curtiej10

Reaction score
Dude I got a folding reverse Miami vice tower we don’t have any antlers..
Literally is like an ugly assed minivan. Slow, no power, good at a lot of stuff but not great at anything.

Not about performance. I can have fun in a jonboat with an 18hp motor.

Toons are for old decrepit people.

So I’m just assuming so correct me if I’m wrong. You have a mid 80s 32 spectra with twin 454 that is off white with shades of brown. A pretty cool boat if I’m close. Especially considering my first boat was a 68 Kona with a 455 olds that was brown and dark brown.
I’m just trying to build a really cool boat that people love not just the looks but function. This is my main reason for asking.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
So I’m just assuming so correct me if I’m wrong. You have a mid 80s 32 spectra with twin 454 that is off white with shades of brown. A pretty cool boat if I’m close. Especially considering my first boat was a 68 Kona with a 455 olds that was brown and dark brown.
I’m just trying to build a really cool boat that people love not just the looks but function. This is my main reason for asking.

No a 79 spectra 32 with twin 498's that's red and white. Been alot of structural work and obnoxious built the engines. Hoping in a year or two to have it re-gell coated.

traquer

Reaction score
This
We are mashing the speed boat and toon world together. I had a speedster with twin outboards and driving under 60 sucked cause it doesn’t pack enough air and driving over 75 most people don’t want that much wind in there face.
This toon will look like no other and fully custom from colors, graphics to interior choices. Also it’s not built by a motorhome company like all toon company’s are. This will have the quality of a high end custom boat manufacturer. We came from that side of the boat manufacturing.
Sounds awesome, I think if you invest in giving people rides and having the boat out and about every weekend and let people look at it and touch it and ride in it they will change their minds. It's a psychology thing. No way to change someone's mind until they experience it themselves.

Icky

Reaction score
So how much are you selling the Avalon for?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So how much are you selling the Avalon for?

If you are asking about mine 215k. Private party no sales tax. Trailer has been upgraded with all the adrenaline mods

curtiej10

Reaction score
No a 79 spectra 32 with twin 498's that's red and white. Been alot of structural work and obnoxious built the engines. Hoping in a year or two to have it re-gell coated.

Ok I’d say I was pretty close. I think I’d be able to get you to think differently with our toon. We are going to have our pontoon travel to a lot of shoot outs across the country. I’d like to take you out for a ride

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Ok I’d say I was pretty close. I think I’d be able to get you to think differently with our toon. We are going to have our pontoon travel to a lot of shoot outs across the country. I’d like to take you out for a ride
It's a toon. They make a good fishing platform and that's about it.

yz450mm

Reaction score
It's a toon. They make a good fishing platform and that's about it.

LOL, yeah okay. I've got 20 years of pontoon experience in Parker that says otherwise, ranging from age 19 to 39. Don't believe me? Don't care.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk