WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I don’t have words…

Your ad here

Reaction score
I saw that a few days ago. The driver is an idiot. The whole time they talked about themselves and if I remember correctly it was mentioned they made the best possible choice to hit that car because of its crumple zones. They never mentioned how the occupants of the car they hit are doing.
The driver replied to the video... just a bunch of excuses is what I read.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I saw that a few days ago. The driver is an idiot. The whole time they talked about themselves and if I remember correctly it was mentioned they made the best possible choice to hit that car because of its crumple zones. They never mentioned how the occupants of the car they hit are doing.
The driver replied to the video... just a bunch of excuses is what I read.

They’re not going to mention anyone but themselves for lawsuit reasons. This video was well crafted as their version of what happened. You can be sure a lawyer reviewed it before it was released.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Unfukinbelievable! That's stuff kids do...I know, I wadded up a couple cars working about going fast, not safety or stopping. The vid guy knew the throttle was sticky, and went on with the video. Owner mentions throttle and brakes, and continued.
Hope the people impacted are ok...and feel bad for the car.

...and as a dipshit racing 60's stuff in the 90's, there were good brake kits then.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
They’re not going to mention anyone but themselves for lawsuit reasons. This video was well crafted as their version of what happened. You can be sure a lawyer reviewed it before it was released.
I feel his pain, muscle cars, regardless of their build, dollars or builder are finicky, unreliable things for the most part.

If any little thing isn’t right, don’t drive it. I have one I did and one professionally built.

Specially one with 1300 HP that’s acting up in traffic.

“Just get the shot” SMH

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
For whatever reason that downshift didn't seem to make much of a difference in slowing the car down. He couldn't go down again? And why not turn off the key or try e-brake? Easy to second guess from my recliner I guess. Hope the van passengers were OK, they got slammed hard.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
I’ll tell you how little faith I have either one of mine will be trouble free. If I hit the Mixteca or Pavillions car shows, my car hauler is hooked to my truck and ready for the wife to come get me.

Hasn’t happened yet but it will.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Something like that is my greatest fear when driving my Monte Carlo (that coincidentally also has a blown 632). I have an "emergency stop" procedure in my head when driving it. Downshift into 1st and then reverse when slow enough, cut the ignition if the throttle is stuck. In addition, always maintain a healthy distance from the car in front of me.

You can see the driver stuff it into park when he figures out he has no brakes. Wrong move. The momentum of the car will just overcome the parking pawl. The clicking can be heard right after he jams it into park and the rear wheels are basically doing nothing to stop the car.

The driver is an idiot to start with. Drive the car with a sticking accelerator and just ride the brakes? Yeah, that won't boil the fluid and cause them to go away. Moron even had a warning when he could smell the brakes cooking.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
For whatever reason that downshift didn't seem to make much of a difference in slowing the car down. He couldn't go down again? And why not turn off the key or try e-brake? Easy to second guess from my recliner I guess. Hope the van passengers were OK, they got slammed hard.
I think he was going for park? He said it was an automatic?

4Waters

Reaction score
He didn't down shift, he put it in park and the parking pawl just skipped as usual, rookie move. When I got in my wreck the lady turned in front of me and I dropped it to low, I was 18.

4Waters

Reaction score
Something like that is my greatest fear when driving my Monte Carlo (that coincidentally also has a blown 632). I have an "emergency stop" procedure in my head when driving it. Downshift into 1st and then reverse when slow enough, cut the ignition if the throttle is stuck. In addition, always maintain a healthy distance from the car in front of me.

You can see the driver stuff it into park when he figures out he has no brakes. Wrong move. The momentum of the car will just overcome the parking pawl. The clicking can be heard right after he jams it into park and the rear wheels are basically doing nothing to stop the car.

The driver is an idiot to start with. Drive the car with a sticking accelerator and just ride the brakes? Yeah, that won't boil the fluid and cause them to go away. Moron even had a warning when he could smell the brakes cooking.
Yup, like I said he did lots wrong

707dog

Reaction score
i was thinking down shift looked like he panicked and threw it in park you can here the clicking

707dog

Reaction score
being a classic car lover and owner man that hurts to watch. not QB from the rocking chair but they both acknowledged and missed some clear signs things were not right but just continued on. sadly probably sent that car to its grave and they are both lucky to be walking. alot more to say but ill leave it at that

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've learned through my own stupidity and mistakes. Luckily, only one involved almost killing my passenger, and a father driving his kids which I T-boned. Other times, the vehicle's abilities far exceeded my talent to operate safely. I feel bad for the car, it didn't deserve that.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
He cooked the brakes by riding them…. Duh

As someone who road races a lot I learned that if the brakes get too hot then you have to slow, pull over or stop immediately. They will soon be inoperable.

Hard use of the brakes causing them to overheat eventually transfers that heat to the fluid and if the fluid gets too hot it boils and fails.

Boiling the brake fluid means no brakes. Ride them too much they overheat and could lead to brake fluid boil and eventually failure.

In race cars we replace standard brake fluid with high temp fluid. And bleed them regularly cuz water in the brake fluid causes boiling at a lower temperature. If the brake pedal feels spongy on track it’s time to slow and stop.

I cooked a set of pads one time and it started giving me feedback so I stopped. Pads were toast. I had a couple more big turns and they would have failed and that would be ugly. now I monitor them between track sessions.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Then continuing to drive it while riding the brakes, turn around and go back ASAP first place to make a u-turn
Even better just stop and put it on the trailer. If that was a malfunctioning drive by wire system, it could have gone WOT. Even if he did get it put in neutral or park and stopped, he runs the risk of blowing the engine. Probably has a rev limiter, but still...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Anyone here at the Route 66 cruise in Berdoo, maybe 2001ish? Back stretch a guy with a blown sbc tri-5 nailed it. Linkage went over center, and hung. Miracle no one died, but several mangled classics and some injuries I believe.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
First off I’m glad everyone came out ok. This really tugs at my heartstrings about the car since my favorite race car was my ‘64 Comet. It was a clone of Jack Chrismans A/FX Comet. Jack even did the rear end and donated all the lightweight stuff from his old car.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Pretty typical response to catastrophic situation. Most would have reacted the same way. Except I think most wouldn’t have driven it. But the excitement of the feature effed them.
I’ll just…
It’ll be ok….
All ya gotta do…
One more pass won’t…
And a host of others. Statements that I have made, or others have made in the past that eventually wind up as a problem. Better to go home wounded than deaded. Now if I’m making those statements a little alarm goes off in my brain and that equates to NO!!!
Last weekend I went with my brother on test drive in his 70 skylark. Took the m21 out and put a close ratio trimec in. Sat down put on just lap belt of the Simpson, but later kind of wish I did whole harness lol. That video made me review my decision a little. 😉
But bottom line would have never driven it in that condition.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
In thinking about it, I'm sure the thoughts of the owner were clouded a bit. In my younger days, I did exceptionally stupid things with cars. Very lucky to be alive...a few cars weren't as lucky. I really think the guy pushed it, kind of knowing it was sketchy, but was excited someone was doing a video of his car. I've been lucky enough to work on some "feature" cars, back in the days of magazines...the "olden days". None of mine were ever of that caliber. I can't say how I'd react if things weren't "quite right", but somebody wanted to do a feature on my ride.
I think it may be like when a pretty girl is flirting with you. Poor decisions may be made.
As I said, I feel really bad for the car. It gave them all the warning signs to stop before it decided not to.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Ouch...

Armchair quarterbacking here,.I would have ran it up on the parkway to the right.

But I would have at least pulled off the road when the throttle stuck.

And worn the shoulder harnesses

Maybe had a mechanic look at the car before I hopped in to make a video.

Perhaps run the "at speed" shots on a closed track, or at least off of main roads.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210222-115401_Google.jpg

I got an idea, lets make a video with a blown hotrod with a sticky throttle and 23yr old brake fluid, then just ignore the safety belts while we're at it.🙄
Everything about that video was wrong other than it was a nice looking car.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
"I built this car at home in my garage"

It shows. Fuck me...

This is what happens when people have zero knowledge about how something Should be designed (and all the theories behind those designs) tries to do something that is beyond their comprehension.

This guy had zero knowledge that he had zero knowledge of everything involved in the process!!! Fuck!!!

Thank gawd he didn't kill someone.

Who is the dude narrating this disaster??

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
The thought of clicking it off never crossed his mind?
It would have slowed a lot quicker so you could at least have curbed it IMO.
Pricks like that don't deserve to own nice rides. F'm.

traquer

Reaction score
That sucks. I bet they were doing some runs that they didn't show on the video. Crusing along I don't think would have cooked the brakes even if they had to ride them a bit. Poor decisions but we've all made them

zhandfull

Reaction score
I don’t know some bad decisions all around that day.

With that said I can see that happening easily to anyone of us or more specifically myself. Built the car from ground up! Knows it like the back of his hand. Excited to share and just going to run it around the block a few times to get some shots and video. What could possibly go wrong. Well as we can see lots.

I’m glad they posted it. Will definitely be a reminder of the importance of having everything right, including safety equipment before testing or driving. I have had more than one old car without an e-brake on the road over the years.

Don’t think I have shared. The motorhome I bought at estate auction. Guy was ran over and killed after unloading a custom car from trailer in his own driveway. Guess he walked behind it and it got him. Total bad ass ride too. Roaster show winner type car.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

With that said I can see that happening easily to anyone of us or more specifically myself. Built the car from ground up! Knows it like the back of his hand. Excited to share and just going to run it around the block a few times to get some shots and video. What could possibly go wrong. Well as we can see lots.

I’m glad they posted it. Will definitely be a reminder of the importance of having everything right, including safety equipment before testing or driving. I have had more than one old car without an e-brake on the road.

Well said.

Keep in mind the members at the top of Mount RDP live in a Palace of Perfection and have never done anything questionable, stupid, made a single mistake or had anything fail on them ever.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
I just cooked the brakes on our old Teryx a few weeks ago on some crazy downhill trail. I was able to get it stopped without any issues by hitting the park brake and shutting it down. Big difference in this situation was there were no signs of an issue, unlike the idiots in this video. Sticky throttle being number 1! That's an immediate clue to put it on the trailer until it's fixed. I get the excitement of your car being featured, but man, use your brain! You're a grown ass adult not a 16 year old kid in his first hopped up car!!!! And the guy doing the feature is supposed to be the "expert", should have shut that down right away, but instead just went right along with the owner.
I feel bad for the people they hit, and the car. I got nothing for the two idiots in the car!!

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Had a 67 Econoline panel as my first car. Dropped a mild 302 with a C6 in it. Finally got it buttoned up about 3am and took it for a test drive. Turned onto Warner ave in HB which is very wide and at 3am no traffic. Put it to the floor and as it got into 2nd gear I lifted, but the pedal was dead flat on the floor,,, now I'm in 3rd trying to reach for the key while its still accelerating. Drum brakes all around and worn out king pins in the front axle, no power steering and I'm shitting my pants. Got the key off and saved our asses.

Turned out the throttle cable bracket I made essentially cammed over at full throttle. My 17yr old ass learned a lot that night...

Your ad here

Reaction score

I’m glad they posted it. Will definitely be a reminder of the importance of having everything right, including safety equipment before testing or driving. I have had more than one old car without an e-brake on the road over the years.

Don’t think I have shared. The motorhome I bought at estate auction. Guy was ran over and killed after unloading a custom car from trailer in his own driveway. Guess he walked behind it and it got him. Total bad ass ride too. Roaster show winner type car.
Well said.

Keep in mind the members at the top of Mount RDP live in a Palace of Perfection and have never done anything questionable, stupid, made a single mistake or had anything fail on them ever.
Having an unexpected brake failure is one thing. Still not good but unexpected. This idiot knew he had a brake problem and a throttle problem yet kept driving and was throttling up. He posted on the video and knew the brakes weren't good enough as he mentioned he was thinking of upgrading them but figured it wasn't worth it because he was going to trailer the car to shows.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Having an unexpected brake failure is one thing. Still not good but unexpected. This idiot knew he had a brake problem and a throttle problem yet kept driving and was throttling up. He posted on the video and knew the brakes weren't good enough as he mentioned he was thinking of upgrading them but figured it wasn't worth it because he was going to trailer the car to shows.

Respectfully, he didn’t have a brake problem until he had a throttle sticking problem

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Well said.

Oh I've done some hinkey shit in my day, but I was smart enough to stop after one or two strikes, not keep swinging till something broke. I mean, how much time would it have taken to pull over real quick and sort out the throttle cable? Especially if you built the damn think from the ground up?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Oh I've done some hinkey shit in my day, but I was smart enough to stop after one or two strikes, not keep swinging till something broke. I mean, how much time would it have taken to pull over real quick and sort out the throttle cable? Especially if you built the damn think from the ground up?

I agree, mistakes were made, many of them.

Tank

Reaction score
Saw this a few days ago. Shit happens, it sucks. Hopefully people in other car are ok. Only thing I have to add is I don't think they should have EVER released any video or comment on what happened for liablity reasons. But in this day and age, gotta get everything up on the net ASAP and get them clicks!!:rolleyes: