WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I foresee a potential quandary…

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
IMO, this isn’t a vaccine discussion. It’s (probably) not poison. This is a family discussion. And the anti-vax banter can be saved for the dungeon

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I couldn't imagine asking my parents to do something that I thought had a possibility to make them ill. Not something I have to worry about anymore, as they've both passed.
In late 2011, Mom asked me to get the flu shot. I was running her to treatments, so I did. Only time I ever have. That year I was sicker than hell. It may have been due to stress, more than likely, but still seemed odd.
I can see it both ways. We do stupid stuff to appease our family. We also sometimes respect the wishes of them, even when we don't agree.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
IMO, this isn’t a vaccine discussion. It’s (probably) not poison. This is a family discussion. And the anti-vax banter can be saved for the dungeon
With all due respect the vaccine discussion needs to be had, because people are not letting them selves see each other based on whether or not they have been vaccinated. All of these people need to understand that the vaccine does not prevent them from getting the virus or giving the virus. Therefore it is a moot point on whether or not they should see each other.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
The fact you’re making this thread already tells me that you’re pretty vocal with them about how against it you are. I’m not here for that topic but I AM here to tell you to get your tdap up to date. Our daughter came early and had I not gotten it I wouldn’t have been able to be with her in the nicu.

5A93A6E6-6356-4B74-8378-8A2E3D768CE6.jpeg

Also as someone with a father who made his own decisions not to be a part of his grandchildren’s lives…. You’ll get left behind in the dust and the only one who suffers is you. Their lives will explode with happiness from everyone else around them and you’ll be pushed even further aside. You’ll never get those moments back.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
My opinion on this is I'm vaccinated if you don't want it I really don't give a shit. I'm protected and if you're not oh well.🤷‍♂️ Don't care. I stopped wearing a mask in the grocery store 2 weeks ago when I was fully vaccinated. This situation is a little different because there is a newborn that is not vaccinated.

Reactions: DWC

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
My opinion on this is I'm vaccinated if you don't want it I really don't give a shit. I'm protected and if you're not oh well.🤷‍♂️ Don't care. I stopped wearing a mask in the grocery store 2 weeks ago when I was fully vaccinated. This situation is a little different because there is a newborn that is not vaccinated.
No one under 16 is...and hiding those kids in a bubble is not helping the rest of their immune system building that they absolutely need....signed the parent of a 1 year old born in the middle of a plandemic who actually was exposed to the world...not hidden like Joe Biden in his fucking basement.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score

Here's the issue: We have people clinging to the statement that the vaccination doesn't prevent infection, so it won't protect the baby who is unvaccinated.

Based on the sheer drop in positives... you have to believe the infection rate is way lower in vaccinated people. If it wasn't, vaccinated people would be getting all the non-vaccinated person infected.

I also saw an article today stating that studies of healthcare workers (earliest vaccinated, most in contact, tested more often) that were vaccinated and not vaccinated: Way higher rate of infection in the non-vaccinated. So you have to believe there is some protection against infection (maybe not the 95% protection like it is for severe symptoms but some protection exists).

The question becomes... at what risk level of infecting your grandchild do you feel comfortable? Because getting vaccinated will very likely lower that risk.

As we know, it affects children at a way lower rate and the death rate is extremely low. But still, imagine infecting your grandchild. I know I would feel shitty... and I don't even want kids!

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Wife got the shot. Sure I can get a fake card to play it off but I wouldn’t do that to my kid.
I can be shady…ish to strangers but I wouldn’t be that shady to family.

I wouldn’t lie to him. White lies when they are kids is different, this is there child. Regardless of what people say he and his wife are just trying to protect their new born child as best they see fit. It’s there kid there choice.

Its your grand child. Easy decision in my opinion. If they require it. I will get it. Not even a question.

Congratulations though grandpappy!!!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I can’t choose my parents, but my wife is the person I chose to spend my life with. I’ve always told my parents to never put me in a situation where I need to chose them or my wife. They won’t like it. I’ve already chose my wife. I asked her to marry me. It’s a tough situation. On that note it’s already happened in my family. Mom and older bros wife had an issue. We haven’t seen my older brother in 10 years. I get it...

franky

Reaction score
Tell them you were vaccinated, it's a play on words. If you were vaccinated as a kid for smallpox and measles you were in fact vaccinated...
Don't do this. There is no upside to lying about thus situation.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The fact you’re making this thread already tells me that you’re pretty vocal with them about how against it you are. I’m not here for that topic but I AM here to tell you to get your tdap up to date. Our daughter came early and had I not gotten it I wouldn’t have been able to be with her in the nicu.

View attachment 999978

Also as someone with a father who made his own decisions not to be a part of his grandchildren’s lives…. You’ll get left behind in the dust and the only one who suffers is you. Their lives will explode with happiness from everyone else around them and you’ll be pushed even further aside. You’ll never get those moments back.
I haven't gotten any booster besides a tetanus shot and I have 4 kids. 1 of which was in the NICU as well. Nobody asked my vaccination records nor was my wife even required to have hers upped (she's medically.... complex so as many chemicals as possible are rejected for her).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
My mother in -law is an ultra lib that lives in Eugene, Oregon. She wouldn't let my wife come and see her until she got the vaccine. My wife did even though she didn't want to.

Her mom talked about coming to visit out TN home and asked if I got the vaccine. Wife said No. She said well I can't come visit then. Well you are not forcing me to do it, so I guess I won't be seeing you again. She in 90, so probably wouldn't see her much anyway.

I know it is very different with a grandchild. I am very lucky that my son and daughter in-law are on the right.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
My parents got the vaccine (Dad and his wife, mom and her husband)
They were refusing to visit me or allow me to visit them until my wife and I are vaccinated. So no grandma and grandpa time for my daughter.
They have been told, we have unaddressed medical questions and if you are vaccinated what is the risk to you? They did not have an answer, so I told them see you at your funeral. That woke them up and now my dad is visiting later this month and my mom is taking my daughter for a week in June.

Good for you, this shit’s out of control. Your bodies, your choice.

K-DOG

Reaction score
Get the vaccine vs not seeing your grandson? Not much of quandary. Just do it to not cause issues with your kid. Some of you are way out there. If there wasn’t politics involved around the vaccine there would be no issues at all and would be just like getting a normal flu shot. Just remember Trump is the one who pushed and sped up the availability of the vaccine. It’s too bad he doesn’t get any credit due to the timing of it coming out after Biden was already in office.

Part of being a good husband, dad, grandpa is sometimes you have to do things you don’t want to do. Get over it otherwise you will be the one missing out.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
You are well aware that getting the vax, will not prevent you from getting the virus, or transferring it.

As much as it sucks, sometimes we have to be the dad, and do what dad's should do.

Have a talk with him now and explain how it works to him. He might not agree right away, but it will give him time to think about it.

Not to point out the obvious, but the son is now a dad. I'd be telling my dad "how it works" if he came at me with some BS.

Here is how I handle ultimatums from family, "Fuck You". LOL.

Don't know the family involved but I'd respect my son's and his families wishes.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Not to point out the obvious, but the son is now a dad. I'd be telling my dad "how it works" if he came at me with some BS.

Don't know the family involved but I'd respect my son's and his families wishes.
Even if the Son you raised right turned stupid?

gqchris

Reaction score
Get the vaccine vs not seeing your grandson? Not much of quandary. Just do it to not cause issues with your kid. Some of you are way out there. If there wasn’t politics involved around the vaccine there would be no issues at all and would be just like getting a normal flu shot. Just remember Trump is the one who pushed and sped up the availability of the vaccine. It’s too bad he doesn’t get any credit due to the timing of it coming out after Biden was already in office.

Part of being a good husband, dad, grandpa is sometimes you have to do things you don’t want to do. Get over it otherwise you will be the one missing out.

None of my questions about the Vaccine are political in any sense. And for alot of us, flu shots are not “normal” either.

Nordie

Reaction score
That's a tough one for sure.

We're going to a wedding in Charleston, SC in July, and my SIL is a super liberal. My first question to my wife, was is she going to require the vaccine, because if so I'm not going. Only way I am getting that vaccine is if it costs me the ability to make money. (AKA my work requires it)

Seems like momma bear being protective of child number one and is nervous about anything and everything. Definitely puts you in a tough situation.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I can’t choose my parents, but my wife is the person I chose to spend my life with. I’ve always told my parents to never put me in a situation where I need to chose them or my wife. They won’t like it. I’ve already chose my wife. I asked her to marry me. It’s a tough situation. On that note it’s already happened in my family. Mom and older bros wife had an issue. We haven’t seen my older brother in 10 years. I get it...
I heard this before. Not sure if its true or not.

A sons a son until he takes a wife. A daughter is a daughter all your life.

RCDave

Reaction score

Ive never heard that before. Good one

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

It's obvious to you and me, but not to everybody.

Clearly from what the kids are asking, they do not understand how it works.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Get the vaccine, see your grandchild...seems pretty simple?
Remember that one time you were suppose to be staying home saving lives but decided to go on a little rendezvous to Tahoe with members outside your household that included children because you thought you were dying?

Weird flex for someone that doesn’t practice what they preach (follow rules)

Last edited:

nowski

Reaction score
Wife got the shot. Sure I can get a fake card to play it off but I wouldn’t do that to my kid.
I can be shady…ish to strangers but I wouldn’t be that shady to family.

I didn't say to get a fake card that would be unethical. However simply saying you've been vaccinated may be a true statement and just a play on words, unethical??? In the world we live in, who'll be casting the first stone???

Post #39 is pretty accurate in my book.

You need to decide what is right for you and your family that's all that really matters...

Side Note: The wife and I donated blood this past Wednesday with the American Red Cross. One of the questions asked: Have you been vaccinated for Covid 19??? We both answered No. Did they turn us away because we haven't been vaccinated? of course not it was business as usual...

Last edited:

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
If nothing else, you owe your kid a lesson on ultimatums. When they finally need help - time/$/knowledge, they will have to decide what to do. Kid's getting bossed around by wife - this is a power struggle. If he lets her push you around now, it will never end. What if you told them you don't want to see them if they get vaccinated ???? I don't think anyone has the right to make these kinds of demands on anyone else. your call, but this isn't right/wrong. it's an individual choice. After you get the vac to satisfy kid's wife, they'll tell you if you voted the wrong way, they don't want to see you - if you drive a truck they don't want to see you - etc.

badgas

Reaction score
Hey Son

I'm so proud of you becoming a father. You know I love you and you know I would never want to harm you or my grandchild. With that said, i'm not taking the Covid vaccine. Your mom took it but I have my personal reasons as to why i'm waiting on this one. I would love to come see the baby but if the vaccine is going to stand in between that then please let me know. Otherwise I look forward seeing you and my grandchild.

Love Dad

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Remember when we were free to make choices and people respected the choices other people made

Nope. I don't even recall ever reading about such a thing. Possibly in Tibet? Before China came in and crushed them?

🤷‍♂️

nowski

Reaction score
Don't do this. There is no upside to lying about thus situation.

If I decided not to get the vaccine that's my body my choice. If you got vaccinated I'll respect your decision and your choice.

Will the world come crashing down if I or others don't get vaccinated? Again I just went outside and looked up and the sky is still there.

Pestilences have been roaming the earth since the beginning of time.

Side Note: My grandfather died from the real deal Spanish flu back in 1918 along with millions more and life continues...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It’s the opposite for me. My daughter had a baby a year ago and is planning her wedding for later this month. She says if you have been vaccinated don’t bother showing up because she is afraid of shedding. At first I thought it was just her hippie paronoia until I did a little research and determined that she might be on to something.

what do you mean shedding?

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Sad state of affairs. I am thankful that our son is on the same page as us on many things. Only getting stronger as the years go by.

If he were to ever say that he would not allow us to see his children at any point I’d sit down with him and have a very lengthy direct conversation. I’d respect his decision But the next day I’d call him and make sure that is direction that he wants to go. Without telling him I’d strongly consider reaching to our attorney and make a change to our trust and making change as to how our assists would be handled. That being said the door will always be open unless he chooses to close it. OR I’d just have a damn good time blowing a significant amount of money in my remaining years.

franky

Reaction score
If I decided not to get the vaccine that's my body my choice. If you got vaccinated I'll respect your decision and your choice.

Will the world come crashing down if I or others don't get vaccinated? Again I just went outside and looked up and the sky is still there.

Pestilences have been roaming the earth since the beginning of time.

Side Note: My grandfather died from the real deal Spanish flu back in 1918 along with millions more and life continues...
You misunderstood me. I never told you to get the vaccine. I just said dont lie about it, especially to your family.

Last edited:

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I'm in my mid 60's and don't have a parental bone in my body and no way in Hell are couple liberals are going to tell me what I'm going to do, no matter WHO they are!!!

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
None of my questions about the Vaccine are political in any sense. And for alot of us, flu shots are not “normal” either.

I don’t see any issue with your response. I have the following open questions, before I get shot
1 - will the C19 shot be required annually? will I still need to get a flu shot (Has been years since I got that)? How much does the next round cost? Once I get shot, do I have to continue to get it?
2 - if I do get the shot then get Covid, any impact to the therapeutics being used today to treat C19 (will the shot limit what therapeutics the DR can use).
3 - any adverse health impacts when the shot is combined the the RX my wife or I take?
4 - if I am still required to test negative 72hr before landing in HI even if I have a shot, WTF is the point of the C19 shot.

my primary care has been unable to answer questions 1-3. HI has been unable to address 4.
Until my wife and I get those answers, no shot for us!
If that makes you uncomfortably visiting / interacting with us, then GFY is my normal response.

C08H18

Reaction score
You have raised a kid that is able to make independent decisions. That's a good thing and you can be proud. I would respect his decision.

All decisions have consequences too. Those consequences aren't without some cost. In this case, your son is willing to put a relationship with his father on hold (where you are in the presence of each other) . You're both giving up alot to follow your beliefs. For the time being, you'll have a distance relationship. not the end of the world, millions do it everyday. In time, this too will come to pass.

None of us walk in your shoes so our opinions are simply that - our opinion.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score

My mom told me that right before I got married. Its true. If not there are usually problems.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Well thanks for all the responses. I figured it would be a mis-mash of opinions, ideas, suggestions. I wasn’t disappointed.
As was posted above I’m taking the let it play out suggestion for now.
I have until at least September (see deadheading thread).

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
With the exception of one person, everyone I work with has been fully vaccinated. Myself and entire family as well. Frankly, it gives me a level of comfort and I’m not too worried about what might happen a few years down the road.

Thats me. We live in America and I certainly respect your right to do as you see best for yourself and your family.

That said, I work as a consultant to a large public entity. They are considering enforcing mandatory vaccination come September and, if enacted, you'll need to do so if you wish to continue working there. This is one of several entities (I’m aware of) heading in that direction. Wouldn't surprise me if we see this in other areas such as travel.

What it may come down to for some is not just a decision based on ideology, but one that has financial repercussions as well.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
When are you guys going to understand that this so-called vaccine is not in fact a vaccine. It does not prevent you from getting the virus, it does not prevent you from carrying the virus and it does not prevent you from passing on the virus to others. So whether you have been vaccinated or not is completely irrelevant. You can still get the virus and you can still give the virus.
But a 97% chance you won’t. Nothing is 100%. Measles and polio are 94%.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
No one under 16 is...and hiding those kids in a bubble is not helping the rest of their immune system building that they absolutely need....signed the parent of a 1 year old born in the middle of a plandemic who actually was exposed to the world...not hidden like Joe Biden in his fucking basement.

So explain to me how a guy on our job site that had the vaccine, both shots, a month ago, now has covid?

Not a real good sign of a "vaccine" imo

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I got $100 that says this is NOT your son's wish, but his wife's (since she just had a kid) ....was she a lib before they married?

I think a good conversation about it would go a long ways, communication is everything.

I am close to my Pops, but I doubt I will ever see him again, since his wife (stepmom) is a full blown cnn parrot, and is rather stupid overall (she stopped playing any sort of games with me (go, chess, cards) by the time I was 12, since she never won) and has forced them to get the shot.

It's a sad time for me, since I know that conversation is looming, and they probably only have a decade left.

Talk to him.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
But a 97% chance you won’t. Nothing is 100%. Measles and polio are 94%.

That is bullshit information. Can you show me the proof that you have a 97% chance of not getting covid if you get the vaccine? a virus that has a 99% survival rate?

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
What it may come down to for some is not just a decision based on ideology, but one that has financial repercussions as well.
This is what bothers me. I’m not anti vax per se but I don’t like being told to do something because everyone else is.
Affecting my lively hood because of a disagreement is going too far.
So explain to me how a guy on our job site that had the vaccine, both shots, a month ago, now has covid?

Not a real good sign of a "vaccine" imo
On a similar note me and my work site-20 or so guys everyday- have been mask free since this started and we’re all happy and content and virus free.