WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I got denied buying booze today

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Stopped at circle k to grab some booze for the house. One bottle of Tito’s, a Pepsi and Gatorade for junior. Lady says I can’t buy booze because I have a kid with me. I’m like WTF? I told her I buy beer, wine, vodka etc all the time with my kids. My wife buys booze every week when she does the grocery shopping without issues. Manager says it’s the law. Everyone with you must be 21 to get any alcohol.

this was in AZ by the way

lbhsbz

Reaction score
We don't have that problem in CA. A few summer's ago we were running low on booze on a Saturday or Sunday morning (can't remember which) so I headed up to Parker to stock up to the cooler for the day about 8:30AM...nope, not allowed to sell alcohol before 10AM. WTF is that about?

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I’ve bought alcohol at circle k probably thousands of times and never heard this.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
We don't have that problem in CA. A few summer's ago we were running low on booze on a Saturday or Sunday morning (can't remember which) so I headed up to Parker to stock up to the cooler for the day about 8:30AM...nope, not allowed to sell alcohol before 10AM. WTF is that about?
That was at least 10 years ago when Az had blue Sunday. Not just a couple summers ago.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
That was at least 10 years ago when Az had blue Sunday. Not just a couple summers ago.

right. AZ stopped that rule a long time ago. I remember waiting in the parking lot until 10 so we could buy beer for the lake on Sundays. We were all so happy when they stopped that.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
right. AZ stopped that rule a long time ago. I remember waiting in the parking lot until 10 so we could buy beer for the lake on Sundays. We were all so happy when they stopped that.
Yep, 2010.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
well shit....I guess it happened once and I just don't head up to town any more until after 10AM.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
It used to be 12 Noon. Then the NFL Cardinals moved from St Louis to AZ and they moved it to 10am due to the games on the east coast.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Stopped at circle k to grab some booze for the house. One bottle of Tito’s, a Pepsi and Gatorade for junior. Lady says I can’t buy booze because I have a kid with me. I’m like WTF? I told her I buy beer, wine, vodka etc all the time with my kids. My wife buys booze every week when she does the grocery shopping without issues. Manager says it’s the law. Everyone with you must be 21 to get any alcohol.

this was in AZ by the way
The store may have had a liquor violation and the manager was overreacting in safety.

in the early 90s we had a store that sold a lot of kegs and beer especially over spring break and I wouldn’t sell if a bunch of kids came in because Liquor board would sit on us waiting for a violation. Called Havasu PD and told them suspicious characters were watching the store, it was quite comical when they showed up.:D

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
In oregon you cant by alcohol if anyone with you is under 21 unless it is your kid.
They card my wife still all the time even though I am the one purchasing(her head swells everytime cause she will be 40 next month..lol)

You cannot buy alcohol even beer from 2am - 7am. And you couldnt buy hard alcohol on sundays until they changed that law a few years ago.

But it is legal for your kid(under 21) to posess and consume alcohol in your own home if you are present.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
In oregon you cant by alcohol if anyone with you is under 21 unless it is your kid.
They card my wife still all the time even though I am the one purchasing(her head swells everytime cause she will be 40 next month..lol)

You cannot buy alcohol even beer from 2am - 7am. And you couldnt buy hard alcohol on sundays until they changed that law a few years ago.

But it is legal for your kid(under 21) to posess and consume alcohol in your own home if you are present.
But you can have all the pot you want?:D:rolleyes:

DLC

Reaction score
You should have given your kid $20 bucks and said sorry kid I can’t get you your drink.... in Frt of the lady

although that might have cause more problems

LoL

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I guess CA ain’t that bad after all :p. Never have a problem buying booze with my young kids. They try to carry the beer, but I gotta draw the line with that. Lol

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to me...... In California. Not a law against it, just an over zealous clerk that didn't quiet understand.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

kevin1988

Reaction score
Winco does that. Would annoy the hell out of me when my then girlfriend would forget her ID and I couldn't purchase alcohol because she was present.

Come to think of it when I was 21 my friends and I were in Bullhead with my parents for the weekend. Sams Club wouldn't sell us alcohol because one of my friends was 20. Even with my dad there. Called manager over...have 4 people with over 21 ID's and my dad who was 50 at the time. Manager still wouldn't sell, said he can't override the cashier.

20 yr old friend was told to take the walk of shame the rest of the trip when we went to the register.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
It used to be 12 Noon. Then the NFL Cardinals moved from St Louis to AZ and they moved it to 10am due to the games on the east coast.

Yeah I remember that dumb law. We would always make sure to overbuy on Saturday so we had Breakfast Beers for Sunday mornings at the river :D

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I had a similar issue at the Havasu Walmart. My cousin did as well. My wife and I went through the self check out and had beer and a bottle of something. The lady came over and asked for my ID then asked for my wifes. Wife had left her purse in the truck and we explained that I was buying the alcohol and the girl said it doesnt matter I need both your ID’s or I can’t sell it to you and anyone in your party has to be 21. She claimed it to be an AZ law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue at the Havasu Walmart. My cousin did as well. My wife and I went through the self check out and had beer and a bottle of something. The lady came over and asked for my ID then asked for my wifes. Wife had left her purse in the truck and we explained that I was buying the alcohol and the girl said it doesnt matter I need both your ID’s or I can’t sell it to you and anyone in your party has to be 21. She claimed it to be an AZ law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Walmart and Sams have the same very strict plicy. there was an incident where involving a minor when alocohol was sold,the State had it set up as a "STING" and the store lost their licence for 30 days plus a large fine and that was that. NO EXCEPTIONS!! I can not blame them especially if a minor had purchased and an accident resulted. The liability,and PR Issue was a Corporate Policy.

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
Been a law for a very long time. Had it happen to me at the Terrible Herbst across from the Zip station about 15 years ago. My son was with me and wasn’t 21 at the time. Wouldn’t sell me beer.

wzuber

Reaction score
Good thing they got their priorities straight....:rolleyes::D

Wedgy

Reaction score
Pushing Brandon in a shopping cart at Von's, maneuvering thru the Lady's shoppers down the Frosty Cold Beverage isle. Brandon sits upright, throws up his little arms in a sweeping gesture, as he proudly exclaimes, "My Dad can drink ALL this Beer!!!" (Dad turning red, Lady shoppers giggling.)

"Now Brandon, You know your Dad doesn't drink..."

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
The Walmarts in this area have recently required ID check of everyone to buy alcohol. Apparently they got hit somewhere and it cost them so now the card everyone.

SCV2RVR

Reaction score
Brother and I were in Montana visiting family and went to Vons at about 8am to buy 2 30 packs of Bud Light. The checker lady looked at us like we were from Mars, then asked if we were from around there (Whitefish MT). We said No we were visiting and she said come back in about 2 hours. We did the walk of shame to put the beer back in the isle and walked out. Funny how crazy California is with their taxes and laws except for alcohol.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have never understood this law.. it makes zero sense.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Been a law for a very long time. Had it happen to me at the Terrible Herbst across from the Zip station about 15 years ago. My son was with me and wasn’t 21 at the time. Wouldn’t sell me beer.

I think the intent of the law is when two people (say college kids) are buying beer and don’t look of age they should both need their ID. That’s different then a father doing the weekly grocery shopping with a 7 year old kid.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I have never understood this law.. it makes zero sense.
You want to experience crazy liquor laws, Texas is the state. We still have dry counties and cities. Even dry streets.

Years ago in the early '70's I managed a Long John Silvers. All of the other stores in Houston served draft beer except mine. My store was across the street from a liquor store but my side of the street was in a dry district. No alcohol sales even in convenience and supermarkets over a 20 block radius.

The county I live in was dry until the '80s except for beer. No wine, no liquor. What to me was so stupid, was the traditional "drive to the line" every Friday night. Damned near every road out of the county had a liquor store just across the county line where laws were different. Basically all the county residents made the trip and drank all the way home. Put the drunks on the road type deal.:D

Brazoria county is one of the largest in TX and we can still only buy package liquor in 2 cities. Beer has always been sold, but wine has only been sold in stores within the last 15 years. And it's not been more than 15 years you could buy "Liquor by the drink" in restaurants without buying a "membership". Until that point to sell drinks, a restaurant had to be considered a private club.

Then there are the beer bars that sell set ups. They can't sell liquor but can sell ice and mixers. Folks bring their own bottle, which has to be contained in a paper bag or cooler, and buy a glass, ice, and coke or other soda. You can imagine how controllable that makes what a person consumes. A couple cokes and a quart of booze makes for some real drunks:p

Baptists and Methodists still have a lot of sway over drinking in Texas...…..:rolleyes:

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
I went to Bashas years ago to buy Marg salt. Cashier told me the register it as it had a price tag from liquor dept. Then told me I could pick up the same salt in grocery isle. I thought that was insane.

77charger

Reaction score
In ca some clerks will id everyone if they appear non related and someone is buying the alcohol.I use to work at a market years ago and one cashier was strict she told me had to make sure all were of age since they were together.

When i go to store and my son is with me i have never had an issue but its been a while now he is 18 and if i had to buy beer ill just tell him wait outside cause i know some will card everyone.