WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I have a question for the experts

Outlaw

Polishing MOFO
Reaction score
Can somebody explain to me in terms I might understand.
how can the federal government shutdown because were broke,
but all the social programs will not miss a beat???
I watched the news last night and was more confused than normal:(

I didn?t put this in the political section because I don?t want those typical answers
left.... right.... :blah::blah:
:blah:

I mean when I'm broke the first thing to go is the socializing

SBjet

El Presidente for Life
Reaction score
Congress will still pass an emergency measure for Social Security, and military pay in a few days. Non essential services will be shut down.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Amazing that congress will continue to get paid :grumble::grumble::grumble:

MMD

Banned Inmate #2584...Now Inmate #20161
Reaction score
I didn?t put this in the political section because I don?t want those typical answers
left.... right.... :blah: :blah: :blah:

That's funny. You didn't put it in the political section because you "don't want those typical answers." :rolleyes:

It's politics as usual. Lots of posturing and waiting until the last minute with each side trying to make the other look worse.

They all suck. They're arguing over what amounts to pennies compared to the monstrous defecit this administration has run up.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Can somebody explain to me in terms I might understand.
how can the federal government shutdown because were broke,
but all the social programs will not miss a beat???
I watched the news last night and was more confused than normal:(

left.... right.... :blah::blah:
:blah:

I mean when I'm broke the first thing to go is the socializing

Its not shutting down because its broke. Its shutting down because the Liberals want to fund abortions. duh! :rolleyes:

If the government is doing something that is "non-essential".....well WHY are they doing that? Shut down all those non essential things...:fingers:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
That's funny. You didn't put it in the political section because you "don't want those typical answers." :rolleyes:

It's politics as usual. Lots of posturing and waiting until the last minute with each side trying to make the other look worse.

They all suck. They're arguing over what amounts to pennies compared to the monstrous defecit this administration has run up.
;)Now that MMD has posted,its a political thread.:cool:

Outlaw

Polishing MOFO
Reaction score
the local news, NOT FOX :D named several programs that would not be effected, thats the part I dont understand, if were broke, shut down the non-essentials like Mandelon said.

SBjet

El Presidente for Life
Reaction score
Keep in mind we are still arguing over the FY 2011 spending, which was supposed to have been passed 6 months ago.
The New Fiscal Yr 2012 starts Oct. 1. And there will be fights aplenty on that.
It's not a question of "if" the govt. gets shutdown but when.
Btw, during the shutdown 15 yrs. ago, the Prez had no paid staffers, and so the interns had much closer access to him.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I apologize I got into the office a little late this morning..

RD

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid...these are so-called "Mandatory Spending" programs. The president/congress can't change these with appropriations, they're mandated by law. They don't change until the law that mandates them changes.

Everything else in the budget is called "Discretionary Spending" and these can be affected - even shut down - at the discretion of congress.