WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I just can’t win

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Its not really the broken ball joint. The bearings went out in a few months ago and the wheel came off and it wasn’t the big of a deal. It’s the way it was handled. I couldn’t believe it and honestly didn’t know what to do. I shut down. The money or the truck I don’t think even mattered. I was put ins situation I didn’t know how to get out of. I kept asking my wife what to do and she didn’t know either. It was a really shitty feeling. It also really really bothers me when someone else breaks my stuff. I’m not blaming them but I wasn’t driving when it broke and that really bothers me for some reason

Yea when everyone is pointing at someone else or saying "not my problem" when it happened while in their possession, it can make you really upset to say the least.

All the more reason to find someone you trust to work on your vehicles, you'll find this scenario won't happen hardly ever once you got a "guy". At the very least they would have told you this was coming if you refused to repair it when suggested by them. I inspect every vehicle EVERY time I see it, even clients with new, under warranty vehicles have leaks/failed or defective parts that need warranty replacement, catching that stuff saves them money.

You would be amazed at how often I get a new client who is almost out of warranty, with several leaks or problems that the dealer never pointed out or took care of while they were servicing the new vehicle. The last one was an M5 that needed a condenser, the dealer had it for almost 2 weeks, told him it was not the condenser, but the evap core...then a few days later called him back and said it was the condenser I originally diagnosed. They ate 12k on that one....money he happily spent with me on one of his other cars.

Much as it pains me to seek out other professionals (since I am a control freak and need to be in charge or do it myself) I have learned that trying to shoulder everything is an impossible task. Yes, I am still disappointed occasionally with other companies or their services, but that's just part of life. Find someone you can build trust with, so they can carry some of your responsibility with you, it really does help ease your mind. Like if your wife has an issue, they can just help her handle it, no need for Super Vic to leave work and save the day...you got a guy for that... 🤘

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
You think your day was bad, think about that shop managers day. Lol..

A customer brings in a vehicle for a free tire rotation and the wheel falls off before it even makes it in the bay. Then customer thinks the shop should fix it. That’s jacked up!

I know it’s not funny now but hopefully in the future you can have a good laugh about the whole situation.
I don’t think they should fix it, but I don’t think “that’s not my problem” was the right answer either. Honestly it’s part of the reason I don’t own a business and I work for the union. That’s what insurance is for. It’s not the managers money. His job is to open a claim and let it get worked out. Not say it’s not my problem, get it out of my way. My wife has been a manager at Petsmart 25 years. She was also shocked at that response

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Getting ready to cut a third one. These guys are making me proud today.
image.jpg

Sherpa

Reaction score
I love burning 7018 rod! only stuff that "self-chips" it's own slag.................

here's some of my personal fun/fails with life:

the day my wife is picking me up from the hospital after having knee replacement, she;s driving my camry. not her van.
it's then I am told tht morning there was a big oil-spill in the driveway so she parked the van and brought my car.
(good catch on no burning down the van honey)

so I google common fails for the van. oil-coolant line fails seems the most. I order parts on rockauto, and when they come
in I gather enough courage under alot of pain to get on the creeper to investigate.... it's not the coolant line... there goes $60.

instead it really looks like the power steering pump leaking. so I order another $130 PUMP.
swap out the pump. turns out its not the pump either. there goes $130.
turns out its the VVT oil line..... I buy (2) of these since my Camry has the same motor, and will probably need it soon enough.
more pain pills, sore ass knee, and I replace the VVT line. Van is good to go.

3 weeks later: wife used my camry since I was smogging her van. she comes home and says the camry smells HOT. shit.

more pain, crawl under the car, swap out the VVT oil line.... while beginning to lace-in a new serp belt, I notice serious wobble on
the water pump pulley. shit. water pump is dying. I had already bought these parts after wifes van WP died... some tweaker stole
these from the car trunk when I left the car unlocked. shit, there goes $190.

so now I'm waiting for a good-weather opportunity to swap out the water pump, upper/lower hoses, new belt, and WP.

so shit happens......... I wrench on my own junk, since alot** of mechanics don't give a ratfuck about others stuff.

drink a beer in the garage, get to work.......

Hope you're day is going great today! the sun is out, and life is good...!

--Sherpa

nowski

Reaction score
7018 aka jet rod.

My dad (Bad Ass 191st Tank Battalion) learned how to weld during world war ll. He along with his comrades welded every piece of armor to their tanks every chance they got. It was the difference between life and death. If you know anything about the Sherman Tank it was under armored until it was beefed up a bit...

I took to welding (gas, arc, tig and mig) like a duck takes to water, must have been something in the genes. I worked in the field for a short time, good to know but wasn't for me...

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
There’s nothing like seeing a bitchin full length peeler. My wire feed guys get some really nice peelers.

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
You are going to have to fix it wether you sell or keep the truck. I just did the entire front suspension on my 05 Silverado 2500. It was not to bad. I would do it again if need be. Parts were about $2000 for everything. New upper arms with bushings and ball joint already installed is the way to go. For the lowers you can press the old out and new in, pretty easily. While you are there, replace the pitman and idler. I also recommend doing the tie rods as well. That way your front end will be brand new. I had to buy 2 new tools, the tool to compress the torsion key to release the pressure. That was $20 on Amazon. And a ball joint press kit from Amazon that was $140. You can rent both for free from your local parts store but I wanted to buy. I got all my Moog parts from Rockauto for about half of local store pricing.

I just remembered that I also did both hubs which was $700 of the $2000 it cost to do the front end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

zhandfull

Reaction score
I don’t think they should fix it, but I don’t think “that’s not my problem” was the right answer either. Honestly it’s part of the reason I don’t own a business and I work for the union. That’s what insurance is for. It’s not the managers money. His job is to open a claim and let it get worked out. Not say it’s not my problem, get it out of my way. My wife has been a manager at Petsmart 25 years. She was also shocked at that response
Thing is that’s a common problem with Chevy trucks with oversized tires. Lot of guys carry ball joints in the truck and its a fairly easy fix.

I know its hard to accept but nothing they did caused that to happen by accident or on purpose. More than likely the ball joint was showing signs of distress long before the failure. It was a missed maintenance issue.

Be like if you went to a side job to R&R some drywall and found termite damaged studs. Not your problem but homeowner had no idea and now wants you to fix it free because you exposed the problem.

Last edited:

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Not sure why one would be so “life fucks me again”.

This is maintenance.

If the other side broke why didn’t you perform maintenance on the entire front end? Pretty simple task to avoid this situation. Cheaper too.

Why is it the tire shops fault?

You should be thankful it didn’t break headed down the highway. Fuck

This is all on you man.

Adulting sucks sometimes.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Triple a refuses to tow it. Say I need to use commercial. Guess it will sit there there till Tuesday when a mechanic can get to it

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Hug your wife and Kiddos.
Fock that truck.
It doesn't define you. Get it fixed..
Others in this world would cut off an arm to have that tiny issue.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Triple a refuses to tow it. Say I need to use commercial. Guess it will sit there there till Tuesday when a mechanic can get to it

Thats bullshit. Thats a regular vehicle and your driver just didn't want to tow it cuz he was being lazy. Id call them back and ask them to tell you where it says in your AAA policy that they don't cover it.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Thats bullshit. Thats a regular vehicle and your driver just didn't want to tow it cuz he was being lazy. Id call them back and ask them to tell you where it says in your AAA policy that they don't cover it.
Yea he was being a lazy asshole. Acting like I planned for the truck to break right there. The manager of America’s tire was acting like captain dick head to him, telling him he wasn’t qualified to do his job. That’s why I got so frustrated yesterday. I had no idea how to make the situation better, and captain dick head was threatening to impound the truck if I didn’t get it moved. Whatever the tow truck driver told dispatch is fucking me because I can go get the truck in an accessible spot now that I’m off work and there’s some light. My mechanic said if I can wait till Monday he can just go there and fix it. I’m going to head over in a bit to talk to Tim who I guess is the real manager and see if he’s ok with it sitting there for tonight and tomorrow. I spoke with him earlier. I need to at least go get the wheel and tire out of the bed before a tweaker thinks it’s free. I do appreciate everyone that commented and kind of helped me put things into perspective again. I need to learn how to deal with things better. I made myself sick when we bought this house in norco and I thought yesterday I was going to do the same thing. Luckily my ulcers are not bleeding yet, so I need to just relax and not stress out.

lbhsbz

Reaction score

It really isn’t his problem, it’s yours. His insurance has nothing to do with this.

petie6464

Reaction score
Seems just a crap deal that happens and an uneducated employee handling the situation incorrectly.

I would hope that if he had offered to repair it at the going rate for that job you would have agreed or decided to just take it somewhere else not putting the blame on them?

On the other hand your truck appears to be a pile of junk, sell it as a "mechanics special" and buy something better.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
If I’m understanding this correctly.

You took your truck in to get tires. You dropped off the truck and went home. Shortly after getting home you received a call from the tire shop telling you that you needed to come back. You arrived at the shop and found your truck sitting in the middle of the parking lot with one of the front wheels hanging off. When you contacted the store manager he told you it wasn’t his problem, he wasn’t going to help you and if you didn’t get your truck moved ASAP he was going to have it impounded. From there it turned into a complete sh*t show.

I’d have been livid too.

The store manager should have shown empathy and offered some level of assistance, instead he was a complete dickwad and made an already difficult situation even worse. F*ck that dude. The store should not be held responsible for your truck but the manager is responsible for managing difficult situations and providing the best outcome possible within his means for his customer. He failed miserably at his job. That guy should be held accountable for his unprofessional behavior, clearly he lacks the emotional intelligence required to manage a retail business.

FWIW- Many years ago I was leaving work at 4pm and I had a ball joint failure, my car was stuck inside my companies parking garage and blocking access to the second floor.

I called a tow company and the wrecker they sent out was to tall to get inside the parking garage. The driver spent several hours trying to figure out how to get my car out and refused to send a different truck. I contacted their office, the supervisor refused to send another truck out and insisted that I let his driver figure it out. I threatened to call another tow company and was told I’d have to pay the hook up fee and an outlandish hourly rate for all of the time his driver was on the scene trying to get my car out. I was 18 at the time and didn’t know sh*t about that sort of thing so I rolled with it.

Around 10pm another employee was trying to leave but was stuck and couldn’t leave because of my car. They flagged security and security told the tow company they needed to figure something out so the other employee could get out, if not they were going to get the police involved. The tow company finally sent another truck and I finally got my broken car home around midnight.

Most tow truck drivers are a different breed and I don’t mean that in a good way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
If I’m understanding this correctly.

You took your truck in to get tires. You dropped off the truck and went home. Shortly after getting home you received a call from the tire shop telling you that you needed to come back. You arrived at the shop and found your truck sitting in the middle of the parking lot with one of the front wheels hanging off. When you contacted the store manager he told you it wasn’t his problem, he wasn’t going to help you and if you didn’t get your truck moved ASAP he was going to have it impounded. From there it turned into a complete sh*t show.

I’d have been livid too.

The store manager should have shown empathy and offered some level of assistance, instead he was a complete dickwad and made an already difficult situation even worse. F*ck that dude. The store should not be held responsible for your truck but the manager is responsible for managing difficult situations and providing the best outcome possible within his means for his customer. He failed miserably at his job. That guy should be held accountable for his unprofessional behavior, clearly he lacks the emotional intelligence required to manage a retail business.

FWIW- Many years ago I was leaving work at 4pm and I had a ball joint failure, my car was stuck inside my companies parking garage and blocking access to the second floor.

I called a tow company and the wrecker they sent out was to tall to get inside the parking garage. The driver spent several hours trying to figure out how to get my car out and refused to send a different truck. I contacted their office, the supervisor refused to send another truck out and insisted that I let his driver figure it out. I threatened to call another tow company and was told I’d have to pay the hook up fee and an outlandish hourly rate for all of the time his driver was on the scene trying to get my car out. I was 18 at the time and didn’t know sh*t about that sort of thing so I rolled with it.

Around 10pm another employee was trying to leave but was stuck and couldn’t leave because of my car. They flagged security and security told the tow company they needed to figure something out so the other employee could get out, if not they were going to get the police involved. The tow company finally sent another truck and I finally got my broken car home around midnight.

Most tow truck drivers are a different breed and I don’t mean that in a good way.

I started thinking maybe it’s me... I decided to check the Yelp for America’s tire in norco. I clicked on the one star reviews. Guess who they are talking about. Yup my buddy Art

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I started thinking maybe it’s me... I decided to check the Yelp for America’s tire in norco. I clicked on the one star reviews. Guess who they are talking about. Yup my buddy Art

Your buddy Art sounds like he’d be better suited changing tires in the shop and not working in a customer facing role.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Hundreds, if not thousands, of people are trying to fix a friggin’ PIA broken wheel in our country today. Very few helped some kids get their AWS Welding Cert. . . . You Did. Your truck will get repaired . . . or junked. Who knows.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
If you signed a repair order, they have a contract with you now. No one is "impounding" anything, that can only occur if LEO determines it, or it's being "stored" after being towed because it was blocking a street/access etc. The truck is THEIR responsibility while it is in their care, yes there are all sorts of "it's not our fault" crap in the contract, but leaving it in the middle of the street/parking lot after their employee was driving it is not one of the clauses.

Yep, they suck ass as a business. Take your shit somewhere else. AAA is obligated to tow your vehicle, don't let the local branch fuck you, call into corporate.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
If you signed a repair order, they have a contract with you now. No one is "impounding" anything, that can only occur if LEO determines it, or it's being "stored" after being towed because it was blocking a street/access etc. The truck is THEIR responsibility while it is in their care, yes there are all sorts of "it's not our fault" crap in the contract, but leaving it in the middle of the street/parking lot after their employee was driving it is not one of the clauses.

Yep, they suck ass as a business. Take your shit somewhere else. AAA is obligated to tow your vehicle, don't let the local branch fuck you, call into corporate.
The norco sheriff said the same thing. The second they took the keys and got in the truck it was their responsibility. He was a super cool dude I have his card with the case number. Art was trying to be super cool with me while he was there. Unfortunately he left when the tow truck got there because like me he thought it was done. Not even close.
image.jpg

Your ad here

Reaction score
Yea he was being a lazy asshole. Acting like I planned for the truck to break right there. The manager of America’s tire was acting like captain dick head to him, telling him he wasn’t qualified to do his job. That’s why I got so frustrated yesterday. I had no idea how to make the situation better, and captain dick head was threatening to impound the truck if I didn’t get it moved. Whatever the tow truck driver told dispatch is fucking me because I can go get the truck in an accessible spot now that I’m off work and there’s some light. My mechanic said if I can wait till Monday he can just go there and fix it. I’m going to head over in a bit to talk to Tim who I guess is the real manager and see if he’s ok with it sitting there for tonight and tomorrow. I spoke with him earlier. I need to at least go get the wheel and tire out of the bed before a tweaker thinks it’s free. I do appreciate everyone that commented and kind of helped me put things into perspective again. I need to learn how to deal with things better. I made myself sick when we bought this house in norco and I thought yesterday I was going to do the same thing. Luckily my ulcers are not bleeding yet, so I need to just relax and not stress out.
Send an email to America's tire corporate. Call a customer service rep to get an email to send it to. That manager will have repercussions from corporate, if his behavior was so. It doesn't look good the truck broke with the tech driving it and America's tire doesn't like that publicity... Write an email but don't send it till a day later and you reread it.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Send an email to America's tire corporate. Call a customer service rep to get an email to send it to. That manager will have repercussions from corporate, if his behavior was so. It doesn't look good the truck broke with the tech driving it and America's tire doesn't like that publicity... Write an email but don't send it till a day later and you reread it.
I fucking love emails. Unlike phone calls, you can bring that shit back up when needed to help you make your case. The metropolitan water district has a huge sexual harassment and discrimination scandal going on right now.....guess what the plaintiffs fell back on as proof to no action being taken? Emails lol

Cray Paper

Reaction score
BHC VIic, It sucks having to be the voice of reason all the time, but that is the obligation you are responsible for implementing because you are the more intelligent and mature person in the room. You owe leadership to those around you, and it isn't the same leadership that made you who you are now. It isn't easy, we tend to revert to worked for us, but you are smart enough to figure out how to reach the younger people and impart the same drive and wisdom that the old farts imparted on you. You just have to do it in a different way, figure out how to connect with them.

As for the drama of your daily driver, its a vehicle, nothing more or less. Get a new one and move on. If you want less drama, don't lift it, keep the stock tire size and drive the wheels off of it. When you modify a vehicle all bets are off on longevity and reliability.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
This just seams like the right song for this thread. I've been listening to it a lot lately.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Damn Vic if that thing rolled I’ll
Come right now and tow strap it to your house

rrrr

Reaction score
Why don't you just start with non-lifted trucks Vic. You are a family man....time to just keep that shit stock. Plus the money saved can go towards your stock ventures :)

There's merit to this suggestion.

I wouldn't buy a used lifted truck, but that's just me. There are a lot more vehicle lifts done wrong than right, and you can't tell the difference until one day it starts shaking itself apart at 70 MPH.

A late model stock gas engine truck will get it done, and the likelihood of surprises is almost non-existent. They'll tow a boat OK. They get decent mileage. Diesel fuel costs more, and diesel repair bills can seriously disrupt a budget. Right now used vehicle prices are extreme, because new vehicles are unaffordable for many people.

Diesel pickups lead the list. If choosing to buy a diesel pickup that fits the budget means that vehicle will have well over 100,000 miles on it, it would be wise to consider the implications of that. While I'm certain someone will reply that their Duramax has 150K on the clock and it's never been in the shop, the reality is that's a lot of miles on a personal work vehicle driven every day.

Everything in our lives competes for our attention and resources. When the number of those things expand, and then they become a source of stress, it obviously has an effect on one's entire program. Making decisions that reduce those numbers is a good thing.

Feel free to ignore everything I've said. I'm just some guy on the internet with free time, running my mouth.

jet496

Reaction score
AAA left me, and my work crew, stranded on the 805 freeway last month, on a Friday during rush hour traffic, said my Ford F350 Crew Cab was too heavy for him. WTF? I keep meaning to call them about that.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
There's merit to this suggestion.

I wouldn't buy a used lifted truck, but that's just me. There are a lot more vehicle lifts done wrong than right, and you can't tell the difference until one day it starts shaking itself apart at 70 MPH.

A late model stock gas engine truck will get it done, and the likelihood of surprises is almost non-existent. They'll tow a boat OK. They get decent mileage. Diesel fuel costs more, and diesel repair bills can seriously disrupt a budget. Right now used vehicle prices are extreme, because new vehicles are unaffordable for many people.

Diesel pickups lead the list. If choosing to buy a diesel pickup that fits the budget means that vehicle will have well over 100,000 miles on it, it would be wise to consider the implications of that. While I'm certain someone will reply that their Duramax has 150K on the clock and it's never been in the shop, the reality is that's a lot of miles on a personal work vehicle driven every day.

Everything in our lives competes for our attention and resources. When the number of those things expand, and then they become a source of stress, it obviously has an effect on one's entire program. Making decisions that reduce those numbers is a good thing.

Feel free to ignore everything I've said. I'm just some guy on the internet with free time, running my mouth.

To this point, I find myself driving my little red beater Ranger more than anything else these days and the Excursion has been relocated to a toy/tow vehicle. I had to do a lower radiator hose, front brakes, and a tuneup on the Ranger. I put some leveling springs up front and some very basic new wheels and tires. She is an ever loving gutless 108hp 4banger with a Mazda 5speed but I love her. No frills, just a pretty much completely stock old truck.

Last edited:

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
To this point, I find myself driving my little red beater Ranger more than anything else these days and the Excursion has been relocated to a toy/tow vehicle. I had to do a lower radiator hose and a tuneup on the Ranger. I put some leveling springs up front and some very basic new wheels and tires. She is an ever loving gutless 108hp 4banger with a Mazda 5speed but I love her. No frills, just a pretty much completely stock old truck.

I can relate, it eliminates the "Terror" of where to park, always worrying about Door Dings etc. Keep it up,Fill it up and No Payments, No Stress, No Worries.:cool:

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
You only live once Vic, time for a new truck.

Don't buy an old used truck, just go new or a couple years old with low miles. You will have this next one for 10+ years and don't want to start dumping money into it right away. Plus the technology in the new trucks is insane. Rates are super low and credit unions will finance 84 months on a new or couple year old truck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
You only live once Vic, time for a new truck.

Don't buy an old used truck, just go new or a couple years old with low miles. You will have this next one for 10+ years and don't want to start dumping money into it right away. Plus the technology in the new trucks is insane. Rates are super low and credit unions will finance 84 months on a new or couple year old truck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

THEN!!, Make time for The Trip to the "Courthouse" to pay your Taxes, then a Call to your Insurance Agent :)

The small print will get you every time.;)

BigRedBryan

Reaction score
If you need a good shop in Norco, go to Norco lube and tune and talk to Robert, he runs the shop and is a great person. Doesn't play games and gets things done.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
THEN!!, Make time for The Trip to the "Courthouse" to pay your Taxes, then a Call to your Insurance Agent :)

The small print will get you every time.;)

Full coverage on my little S10 is $600/year and registration was cheap. If you buy a $40K truck in CA, your sales tax alone is about $4K.

Also...consider if you really need a “truck”. I’m half tempted to sell my 1500HD and replace it with a suburban to get away from commercial registration and it would be nice having all my shit behind locked doors.

boatnam2

Reaction score
My buddy has a shop in norco if you need help, does good work. If you decide to move forward getting a truck and are interested in a clean not beaten rig I will be trading my 2019 down in truck adds here soon and I will give it to you for the best offer I got from dealer. Save couple grand there, a couple grand on taxes and a couple grand buying some beat piece from a dealer and a $800 with tags already payed. Pops was a welder teacher so I will pass on a good deal.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
My buddy has a shop in norco if you need help, does good work. If you decide to move forward getting a truck and are interested in a clean not beaten rig I will be trading my 2019 down in truck adds here soon and I will give it to you for the best offer I got from dealer. Save couple grand there, a couple grand on taxes and a couple grand buying some beat piece from a dealer and a $800 with tags already payed. Pops was a welder teacher so I will pass on a good deal.
I’m starting to think that might be my best route. I really want a diesel but with putting all the boys in private school now, a big payment just isn’t smart. Ive been looking at older diesels but am I just begging for more problems at that point

boatnam2

Reaction score
I think an older truck may look like a deal, but used prices are at a all time high combine that with most of them having huge miles on them and lifted, may be problem but then again maybe not. I think if you have to have the lifted look you can do a leveling kit with the Z-71 4X4 and it will fit 35'S.