WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I just can’t win

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Yes sir chooo choo truck is almost 20’ trailer is 37’.
Better be in your A game making Right hand turns lol

All mine are long beds. Having short beds on a ranch is ummmmm. This would be the perfect truck for Vic. Unless you tow heavy loads daily and up long grades, these trucks do great. All the bs with the def and extra maintenance on a new diesel is not very attractive and expensive. With the three trucks I have now, don’t see myself buying anytime soon. But if I had to, definitely would look at yours and the new Ford 7.3 gas.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Vic keep these prices in mind when shopping. I couldn’t find a Tradesmen Diesel. Which will be much cheaper than the bighorn.
This is where I bought my truck and they play games during finance so beware.

Attachments

• 3B244A89-D0ED-4679-A28D-54479C6D276A.png
    3B244A89-D0ED-4679-A28D-54479C6D276A.png
    620.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 07D452BD-D3A8-423B-9A63-B268090FD74D.png
    07D452BD-D3A8-423B-9A63-B268090FD74D.png
    396.3 KB · Views: 116

DMF

Reaction score
Vic, if you are a Costco member, you will get pretty good deals on new vehicle pricing. Also, check with your credit union to see if their interest rates are competitive with the dealership offering.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
All mine are long beds. Having short beds on a ranch is ummmmm. This would be the perfect truck for Vic. Unless you tow heavy loads daily and up long grades, these trucks do great. All the bs with the def and extra maintenance on a new diesel is not very attractive and expensive. With the three trucks I have now, don’t see myself buying anytime soon. But if I had to, definitely would look at yours and the new Ford 7.3 gas.
For me the gas truck made sense. I bought it March 2019 and it has 13,000 miles.

It does well with my trailer but anymore and it would be hurting bad. I regeared it so hills aren’t a problem just don’t look at the tach or fuel gauge.

If I did it over again I would probably flip a coin diesel vs gas.
The more miles you drive the more a diesel makes sense. But cost and maintenance leans gas. Until you hit a hill or fuel station lol

glamis0812

Reaction score
Vic don’t get to caught up on towing numbers you are reading because if you were to load both trucks to max tow rating it’s a big difference towing with a diesel. I’ve towed a lot with a Chevy 8.1 (which I love) and now a 2020 Ford 6.7 and it’s a world of difference. If you don’t go to big on a future trailer I think you will be fine with a newer gas truck.

NicPaus

Reaction score
You have to tow for 100k miles to break even on the diesel. Or drive 500k miles plus not towing. I paid 47k and change plus fees for my new Chevy it was not on the lot but they had the vin already so I got the employee discount and got it 3 days before new year to get the write off for last year. They had no diesels I liked as I wanted leather front bench z71. The same truck diesel was 65k plus fees. If I had a big toyhauler I probably would of went diesel. I mainly needed the bigger bed as the dealerships had no long bed half tons like I traded in. Truck is rated for over 16k tow so it will handle my dump trailers and skidsteer fine. I have my 3500 diesel work truck if I need to tow more.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Vic are you planning to tow anything bigger than the Cobra 230 you’ve got now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

Id like to buy a trailer or 5th wheel to start camping with the boys

CLdrinker

Reaction score

Nope he just don’t want to limit himself now by having to buy a bigger truck latter.
I screwed up in 2013 but buying a half ton when I knew I would need a 3/4ton in the future.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Vic keep these prices in mind when shopping. I couldn’t find a Tradesmen Diesel. Which will be much cheaper than the bighorn.
This is where I bought my truck and they play games during finance so beware.
I was going to mention that. I was "kind of" looking at a dually. My buddy has 3 Dodge duallys (he is a dirt mover). I asked if he was looking to sell one. He told me to go online and look at new at the dealership he buys his from.

Very well equipped 2021 Dodge 3500 Dually (I believe it was a Laramie trim level), for $68K - $72K. I was shocked. I thought they would be about $90K +.

Sent From Tapatalk

NicPaus

Reaction score
I would get Diesel if you will put 150k miles on it in 6 years. If you plan on buying a trailer over 10k lbs. And get the extended 6 year warranty on the Diesel. I just sold 1 of my diesels last week right at 6 years. Market is hot and got 8k less than I paid for it new 6 years ago. Duramax hold there value.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Mother fucker. Now I need to go get a covid test. Just got sent home from work. I’m trying guys I really am but I’m getting irritated. This was probably the last thing I needed right now

hallett21

Reaction score
Mother fucker. Now I need to go get a covid test. Just got sent home from work. I’m trying guys I really am but I’m getting irritated. This was probably the last thing I needed right now

Sounds like you got more time for truck shopping. Get one on the way to go look at the trucks

DMF

Reaction score
Take a breath dude. Covid is something everyone is having to deal with. A reliable vehicle is an easy fix to take off your plate.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Could be worse they are still doing the test through the nose. Anal is not yet mandatory.

Always got to look at the bright side.

CobraDave

Reaction score
My neighbor got a brand new Ram 6.4 crew cab 2500. He said it pulled his 6,000 lbs boat great and had tons of power. However, he couldn’t even make it to Havasu without filling up again.

He return we and traded it in for a cummins but same trim and model. Said the towing was much better in the cummins.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
My neighbor got a brand new Ram 6.4 crew cab 2500. He said it pulled his 6,000 lbs boat great and had tons of power. However, he couldn’t even make it to Havasu without filling up again.

He return we and traded it in for a cummins but same trim and model. Said the towing was much better in the cummins.

Just to make sure you are comparing the correct vehicles, they were 2021's with the 6.4 Hemi and the 8speed or were they 2020 models with the 6speed? Huge difference.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
@BHC Vic I have some similar truck questions, that I think will pertain to the decision you need to make.

I don't want to hijack your thread. I can ask here, or start a different thread.

Sent From Tapatalk

CLdrinker

Reaction score

I get 7mpg towing my Toyhauler so he should have been getting 9 or 10 which is 300 miles per tank.
Yes towing is always better with a 9k engine upgrade.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Just to make sure you are comparing the correct vehicles, they were 2021's with the 6.4 Hemi and the 8speed or were they 2020 models with the 6speed? Huge difference.
Pretty sure the 2019 got the 8speed.

What is bad about the 6 speed is it has he exact same gear ratios as the trans they put behind the diesel. It is basically the same trans just different case.
But the first gear is way to tall. Before my regear I think I was close to 30mph in first

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I found a 2011 2500 Silverado ltz all stock with 69k miles right down the street. Not sure what a good price would be. The carfax looks really good all the services done at the dealer and one owner.

Get the warranty...
CP4 failure is a good chance on the 2011-2016 duramaxes (and Ford 6.7 for that matter.....) and when it goes its 10k to fix it all. With any new diesel, you need the warranty. Your current truck will "hundred dollar" you to death. A used diesel can "thousand dollar" you to death frequently.....

Awesome trucks, awesome power, but your chances of having mechanical issues are pretty good on the newer diesels. Some go 140k without issues, some don't make it to 40k.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Get the warranty...
CP4 failure is a good chance on the 2011-2016 duramaxes (and Ford 6.7 for that matter.....) and when it goes its 10k to fix it all. With any new diesel, you need the warranty. Your current truck will "hundred dollar" you to death. A used diesel can "thousand dollar" you to death frequently.....

Awesome trucks, awesome power, but your chances of having mechanical issues are pretty good on the newer diesels. Some go 140k without issues, some don't make it to 40k.
I’m looking at the Chevy right now it’s nice. I also like the new dodges but it looks like I need to go to Victorville to see one

hallett21

Reaction score
I’m looking at the Chevy right now it’s nice. I also like the new dodges but it looks like I need to go to Victorville to see one

Never hurts to call a few local dealers. Send them those ads and find out if they want to save you a drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Never hurts to call a few local dealers. Send them those ads and find out if they want to save you a drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’ve called all of them. I think my options are the 2011 Silverado or a new 6.4 tradesman. Roughly the same price. The Silverado is an LTz the dodge is a tradesman. The 10 year old truck might be nicer inside and have more features. I think on paper the new dodge easily out tows the older diesel? I’m going to sleep on it.

CobraDave

Reaction score
It was the 8 speed. He told me he got about 200 miles before having to get gas again. That made him switch but he did say the power was plenty.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I’ve called all of them. I think my options are the 2011 Silverado or a new 6.4 tradesman. Roughly the same price. The Silverado is an LTz the dodge is a tradesman. The 10 year old truck might be nicer inside and have more features. I think on paper the new dodge easily out tows the older diesel? I’m going to sleep on it.

I would go new rather than the 10yo truck if for nothing more than the warranty and its a new truck and I'm a chevy guy. Looks like the tradesman is the work truck version. If you want it a little nicer inside just have them put leather seats in. Its actually not much money, about $1,500. That's what the dealer charged me for my 2018 crew cab Silverado. And if its Katzkin, its actually nicer than stock and you choose your color combos, perforation options ect.

hallett21

Reaction score

Not sure if you’ve seen these

hallett21

Reaction score
It was the 8 speed. He told me he got about 200 miles before having to get gas again. That made him switch but he did say the power was plenty.

Not saying that’s not true but that doesn’t sound right at all. I have the small tank at 26 gallons (diesel). Can’t imagine a 3/4 ton truck having smaller than that.

Your buddy was getting 8mpg empty?

Singleton

Reaction score

on the 2011 Silverado. The rear seat AC vents are under the front seats and are only on when the front AC is blowing.
biggest issue I had with GM products was the removals of the center console AC vents.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
With the warranty it took me over the price I felt comfortable at. I do need a truck though. I’m borrowing my dads for tomorrow but that’s not going to last too long 😂

CLdrinker

Reaction score

200 miles wtf that’s only 6.25mpg. He must of not had the 32 gallon tank.

I carry 3 5 gallon jugs on long trips
So I don’t get into a fuel station situation lol

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Dodge is probably rated higher for towing but that duramax will easily out tow the gas Dodge.

If you do go with the gas Dodge. 4:10 gears are a must.
Don’t buy a 3:73 truck unless you plan on gears.

I bought a 4:10 truck and still switched to 4:88 but I have the 6 speed.
The 8 speed should be fine with 4:10’s or a absolute beast with 4:56’s😉

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Damn it Vic, just go buy the truck you want. Forget all the noise!! You work too hard man, enjoy what you have because tomorrow isn't guaranteed.

Dude, you know how easy it would be to cut your budget and also make some good trades?!! [emoji6]

$700-$900 bucks a month for a bitchin truck is easy peezy. Just do it!!!

FirstOnRaceDay!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DB / HAV

Reaction score
Hey brother Vic, we haven’t met, seem like a great guy and I pray for all the RDP folks that need it. My brothers step son had a head on last week, the F150 saved his life, things could be a lot worse. Keep on keeping on!! RDP peeps are the best!! be safe

1613453266117.jpeg

Last edited:

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I just want to say: Fak all of you. Now you have me looking at new trucks. :D

I plan on getting a little travel trailer soon. Probably 6,000-7,000 lbs max. I wanted a cabover camper so I can tow the boat, but the wife wants a huge camper if we get one. Then I would need to get a dually to haul it all. So I will get a smaller trailer.

My current truck will tow it fine (2004 GMC 2500HD 6.0L with 185,000 miles on it). Right now, I only use it to tow the boat. I don't mind the gas mileage, but I do want more range. Towing the boat on flat ground on the highway, I only get about 180 range per tank. Where I like to launch on the Delta is 180 miles round trip, so I have to fill up when I get there or on the way home. I don't like rolling into the driveway on fumes. LOL.

I got rid of my last 1 ton diesel because I was only driving it about 1,000 miles a year for the last couple years. Whatever I buy won't be a daily driver...so I kind of feel like a diesel is out. If I buy something, it will just be a 3/4 Ton CC short bed. will look seriously at the Ford 7.3L and the Dodge 6.4L.

How does a Dodge Tradesman come equipped?

CobraDave

Reaction score
Not saying that’s not true but that doesn’t sound right at all. I have the small tank at 26 gallons (diesel). Can’t imagine a 3/4 ton truck having smaller than that.

Your buddy was getting 8mpg empty?

He was towing a larger boat. I would guess 6,000 pounds. He did have it leveled on 35’s. He wasn’t happy with the mileage and traded it. Not saying it was not capable. Just unhappy with the mileage is all. 8 mpg sounds about right towing.

viperized_jr

Reaction score
I would look at the ram. My work truck is a 2500 tradesman cc 6.4 with a service bed and ladder rack. Its a 2018 that I got 2 years ago and now have 84k trouble free miles. I get about 13 mpg mostly freeway driving at 80. Pulling a rzr and dirt bikes to Bullhead I get about 9 mpg driving 65-70.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
The 3rd option is to change the ball joints for $500 and whatever needs done and drive it for another 10 years.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I always get beat up with that question. I don’t tow heavy right now because I can’t. I don’t own a trailer but I see myself getting one. It’s just my thought process but I’d rather have a truck that can do it when I’m ready, instead of just kicking the can down the road. Maybe that’s a bad thought process

been out of cell service all Weekend.. I love my dually don’t get me wrong... but I just don’t tow anything that heavy and question why I need this thing everytime I’m on a rough road.. lol I’d go get a new dodge if it was me.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I just want to say: Fak all of you. Now you have me looking at new trucks. :D

I plan on getting a little travel trailer soon. Probably 6,000-7,000 lbs max. I wanted a cabover camper so I can tow the boat, but the wife wants a huge camper if we get one. Then I would need to get a dually to haul it all. So I will get a smaller trailer.

My current truck will tow it fine (2004 GMC 2500HD 6.0L with 185,000 miles on it). Right now, I only use it to tow the boat. I don't mind the gas mileage, but I do want more range. Towing the boat on flat ground on the highway, I only get about 180 range per tank. Where I like to launch on the Delta is 180 miles round trip, so I have to fill up when I get there or on the way home. I don't like rolling into the driveway on fumes. LOL.

I got rid of my last 1 ton diesel because I was only driving it about 1,000 miles a year for the last couple years. Whatever I buy won't be a daily driver...so I kind of feel like a diesel is out. If I buy something, it will just be a 3/4 Ton CC short bed. will look seriously at the Ford 7.3L and the Dodge 6.4L.

How does a Dodge Tradesman come equipped?
Tradesman is bare bones.
You can get it with and without carpet. Tradesman is for someone who needs a truck and don’t care about all the fluff.

Basic touch screen
All plastic door panels
I opted for manual floor shift for 4x4
Back up camera
Back sensors
Manual seats cloth ( vinyl seats come in the trucks without carpet)
Pwr, windows, locks and mirrors.

I have the off-road package with
Skid plates
Hill decent
HO alternator
Limited slip rear end
Tow hooks.

Big horn is the next step up.
Pwr seats with nicer cloth
Bigger touch screen
Nice door panels

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Thanks @bldrinker. That is kind of what I was thinking. I looked online at one last night, with the offroad package, and the Tradesman Level 2 package.

Sent From Tapatalk

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I’m going to fix it either way I just doubt think its my daily driver anymore
VIc, there is an insanely clean 2005 duramax 4wd crew cab short bed GMC on "offroad desert deals" page on FB. Looks like grandpa owned it. All stock. 23k, might be worth a look.
Still an old truck though! But i'd roll it all day long.......

1613486629394.png

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Dodge is probably rated higher for towing but that duramax will easily out tow the gas Dodge.

If you do go with the gas Dodge. 4:10 gears are a must.
Don’t buy a 3:73 truck unless you plan on gears.

I bought a 4:10 truck and still switched to 4:88 but I have the 6 speed.
The 8 speed should be fine with 4:10’s or a absolute beast with 4:56’s😉
That’s what confuses me. Silverado is rated at 10k dodge gasser at 16k

CLdrinker

Reaction score
VIc, there is an insanely clean 2005 duramax 4wd crew cab short bed GMC on "offroad desert deals" page on FB. Looks like grandpa owned it. All stock. 23k, might be worth a look.
Still an old truck though! But i'd roll it all day long.......

View attachment 973259
I saw that as well looks clean. But the paint in the front fender looks off, maybe it’s just the lighting.
Interior looks really good.