WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I may have found her! Lil more help required

Dirtbag

Reaction score
So i finally may have found our boat. Its a 2006 Magic with a 525 with only 150 hrs on it. The guy is asking 75k. Ive spoken to him via text. He has title in hand. Boat per pictures looks immaculate always garaged. Main use was on the river so im a lil scared there with the shallow water.

What should i look for? Beach rash and cracking and all that i know but what about on the drive? Any tell tale signs of i could have a problem later?

Also for you guys that have bought boats. Are you doing a lien check and title check? and who do you do it through? anyone know someone that can do a leak down check in Yuma?

Im super excited but am still looking at 2-3 other boats this weekend in LHC.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
if the gel is a scheme you like then I don't think I would wait on that.. I'd go buy it. beach rash is easy fix if there is any..

I'd definitely have the motor checked out to make sure it's good

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So i finally may have found our boat. Its a 2006 Magic with a 525 with only 150 hrs on it. The guy is asking 75k. Ive spoken to him via text. He has title in hand. Boat per pictures looks immaculate always garaged. Main use was on the river so im a lil scared there with the shallow water.

What should i look for? Beach rash and cracking and all that i know but what about on the drive? Any tell tale signs of i could have a problem later?

Also for you guys that have bought boats. Are you doing a lien check and title check? and who do you do it through? anyone know someone that can do a leak down check in Yuma?

Have a reputable shop check it out and give it a clean bill of health. Compression test, ECU scan, review service history, etc etc etc.

Beach rash is easily fixable and isn't a structural problem. Either way, a good shop can inspect the whole boat and it's money well spent if you aren't a super mechanical guy or even if you are, your spending 75k so might as well have a professional give it a full once over. The seller should have no problem with this if his boat is on the up and up. You'd only go this far if you are actually intending to buy it, not at the "tire kickin" level obviously. I'd want to water test it also before the final transaction, maybe even with the mechanic on board - In LHC its easy to get all of this done and not take up too much of anyones time, but not sure about Yuma. If you are a serious buyer and funds are in place, the seller shouldn't have a problem with any of that.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
its not blue and grey like i wanted but its pretty badass. If the engine is right id be stupid not to jump all over it. which is why i wanna make sure im doing everything correctly. I dont trust people unless i know them personally so i always have that worry in the back of my mind.

697112_1.jpg

Englewood

Reaction score
For $75k if you don't buy it 10 others will.

You will be able to get out of it at that price.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Orange and grey... The boat looks killer!

One rule I have realized in the used boat market after buying a couple boats -

If the gel does not look like a 1st grader drew on the side of the boat, and the mechanicals check out OK, buy it if you can get price is right.

The odds that you'll find the power, condition, and gel you want are very slim unless you are willing to pay high market value.

wishiknew

Reaction score

who rigged that boat ???

adam909

Reaction score
Most important to me is to drop it in the water and run it for 30 mins. Leak down and computer scans to me are very important as well.. But remember if your making it a pain in the ass with the seller he probably won't waste his time...

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I would not buy it with out making sure it gets up on plane and runs as promised!

Andy01

Reaction score
Find out how long the seller has owned it.

Find out how old the pictures are in sellers ad, a lot of people use pictures from three years ago.

Have a survey done, or get a shop to check the boat out. The survey is a great way to go, never seen one come back not needing something. Don't over look the trailer either, you could dump $3,000 in a trailer quick. It's going into winter, the buying heard has thinned only more boats will come up for sale this winter.

If the seller is not interested in helping you out, then move on. A seller should respect the buyer wanting to do his homework. If the boat is as stated and the seller is not paying for any of it then the seller has nothing to lose. If the seller ask for a deposit then don't be shy to give them one based on everything coming back at 100%. Write the seller a deposit using a credit card cash advance check. It's easy to dispute the charge if the seller wont return the funds upon a bad inspection.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
andy i sent you an email a while back looking for a quote to see what i was looking at. Ill send you another email now.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Keep in mind there are 100s of lurkers now looking at that boat. You better make a deal over the phone right now. A 525 boat with 150hrs for 75k will be sold by tomorrow morning.

i cant fork out 70+ site unseen. i gotta see the thing.

Riverson

CHA PLEASE
Reaction score
its not blue and grey like i wanted but its pretty badass. If the engine is right id be stupid not to jump all over it. which is why i wanna make sure im doing everything correctly. I dont trust people unless i know them personally so i always have that worry in the back of my mind.

View attachment 511465

75k is a great deal for that boat. I have blue and grey but my back end is white, this looks like the back end is orange, this should avoid the soot issue I get with the white back end. If the engine checks our jump on it!
BTW I have a 2008 Deck , you will see small stress cracks on the front where the support bar is, I've seen it on all of the 28 Magic Decks Ive check out. It does bug me a little but not a deal breaker at least not for me.

Riverson

CHA PLEASE
Reaction score
hell if i know

Magic rigged everything until they shut down in early 2008. there were a bunch of older hulls that went to LBYS, some rigged better than Magic some not so much. This is defiantly a question I would want answered.

dp85tona

Two strokes is enough
Reaction score

Dirtbag, if this boat is in fact in Yuma, Az you have one thing going for you when looking for beach rash our sandbars down here are truly SAND like the beach however at the ramps there are some areas that have fine gravel that could make some scratches but still shouldnt be bad. if you are looking at the boat and need a computer scan or a good straight forward mechanic to check it out call Keith Taber and Bad Influence Marine tell him you are looking to purchase the boat and he will most likely do anything he can to fit you in. (hes a great guy and is straight forward) if the seller recommends Yuma Marine to check it out i would push as hard as you can to go to Keith he will not let you down. if you need someone to do an initial look at the cleanliness of the boat for you please feel free to call me 928-246-2433 i am pretty much OCD when it comes to finding things wrong with boats and should have plenty of time today to check it out.

i have seen this boat run down here quite a few times (if its the same boat im thinking of) and its always sounded strong. Most people that run larger boats here on the Lower River know how to read the water and will stay away from sand bars. let me know if you would like me to do an initial look instead of going from pictures.

Englewood

Reaction score
75k is a great deal for that boat. I have blue and grey but my back end is white, this looks like the back end is orange, this should avoid the soot issue I get with the white back end. If the engine checks our jump on it!
BTW I have a 2008 Deck , you will see small stress cracks on the front where the support bar is, I've seen it on all of the 28 Magic Decks Ive check out. It does bug me a little but not a deal breaker at least not for me.

Mine is orange and I get a light coat of "soot" after a long weekend.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
She's purdy!! I'd jump on it if it checks out!

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Dirtbag, if this boat is in fact in Yuma, Az you have one thing going for you when looking for beach rash our sandbars down here are truly SAND like the beach however at the ramps there are some areas that have fine gravel that could make some scratches but still shouldnt be bad. if you are looking at the boat and need a computer scan or a good straight forward mechanic to check it out call Keith Taber and Bad Influence Marine tell him you are looking to purchase the boat and he will most likely do anything he can to fit you in. (hes a great guy and is straight forward) if the seller recommends Yuma Marine to check it out i would push as hard as you can to go to Keith he will not let you down. if you need someone to do an initial look at the cleanliness of the boat for you please feel free to call me 928-246-2433 i am pretty much OCD when it comes to finding things wrong with boats and should have plenty of time today to check it out.

i have seen this boat run down here quite a few times (if its the same boat im thinking of) and its always sounded strong. Most people that run larger boats here on the Lower River know how to read the water and will stay away from sand bars. let me know if you would like me to do an initial look instead of going from pictures.

Dude thanks so much! Ill get a hold of the seller but dont think he is coming until friday. Ill keep you updated and thanks on the Bad Influence tip!

Dirtbag

Reaction score
first of all everyone on this site are freaking amazing. dp85tona took time out of his day to check out this boat for me today. We prolly talked for thirty minutes on the phone and he sent me numerous videos and pictures of the boat. Just unreal for never meeting a guy.

So the boat is in decent shape has a couple flaws but one thing Dale said struck me as odd. This is a 2006 28 deck. the owner says he bought the boat brand new in Havasu. The boat had no power in it when he bought it. He said they put in the 525 and imco hydraulic steering and off he went. Did magic have a place in havasu? I hadnt heard this bit of info before so curious who he bought it from?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
first of all everyone on this site are freaking amazing. dp85tona took time out of his day to check out this boat for me today. We prolly talked for thirty minutes on the phone and he sent me numerous videos and pictures of the boat. Just unreal for never meeting a guy.

So the boat is in decent shape has a couple flaws but one thing Dale said struck me as odd. This is a 2006 28 deck. the owner says he bought the boat brand new in Havasu. The boat had no power in it when he bought it. He said they put in the 525 and imco hydraulic steering and off he went. Did magic have a place in havasu? I hadnt heard this bit of info before so curious who he bought it from?

Yes Magic was based in Havasu

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

Most of the boats at Magic in Havasu didn't have motors in them. That's why there is so many of them. Magic would build them so far and then the new owner could pick the motor and some other options. Instead of waiting months for a complete new build it only took weeks once you picked the boat you wanted. They called this "flooring the boats". This is the reason they got in $$$ trouble in the first place. To many boats sitting and no one buying once the economy took a dump.

riverroyal

Reaction score
By magic. All in Havasu. One building was glass, one motors, one interior etc
That crack on the upper step is on every single magic. There's another at the bottom step as well, I'm positive. Not worth fixing it will come back right away. If that's the only issue your good, buy

Dirtbag

Reaction score
That would bug the hell out of me looking at that all the time & yes money can fix that. How do you like the colors, overall condition etc?

This boat was in pretty good shape - the cracks which really bugged pops. With a little cleaning this boat will look great the graphics were very nice

Did you look at this boat? I like the gelcoat design & colors much better on this one below, although I would prefer the 525EFI.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/5775349914.html

We did look at this boat and i can tell you one thing. This guy has some pride in ownership. This boat was in immaculate condition. So the first thing i do is go look in the back where the orange one was cracked and sure enough there are 3 lines starting to appear. I get deck boats flex. Magic decks are some damn good looking boats but these cracks really bothered us.

Pops and i spent 3 hours sitting in the channel saturday. We sat in the same bench on the strand and didnt move for 3 hours. An immaculate '29 Nordic deck pulls in right in front of us. What a freakin beautiful boat and the interior was off the charts. after an hour of watching howards 288 decks and magics and shockwaves and eliminators i started to get pissed. Im like look at us. We got the fuckin money and were sitting here like a couple peeping toms. Start talking to pops about making a deal with Bob. Pops wants to go with bobs shockwave anyway cause he will always take care of the boat for us. So we call Bob. Make a deal. Dropping the deposit at his house tomorrow and building our boat!