WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I Met a Centenarian Today

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
I met a women today that was born in 1915. My day came to a stop and the wife and I visited with her for 4 hours. Her mind is as clear as ever and the stories just rolled out. Starting with how, when she was a kid, they went to town with horse and wagon. Walked to a one room school, twice a week. As she put it, the other 7 we worked. Stories of what they did to survive during the depression, Christmas was a piece of peppermint candy and what they did during the war. All her brothers were killed in the war but one. She post the American flag every morning and says each of their names. We talked about her first time she saw a car, plane, phone and power pole. The 40's, 50's were golden years. She has out lived all her family, her husband and her children. Talking to her made my life a little shallow looking. If you ever meet a centenarian, stop and take the time to talk to them. The people before us built this country, fought to keep it, loved it and are very disappointed in what we are doing with it.

USMC2010

Reaction score
My grandmother taught in a one room school house. Her and my grandpa lived in a sod house built in 1902 that is still standing today. When I was in HS I used to go around and interview the old timers for school projects, their stories were priceless.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I've always wondered what it would take to live that long of a life as far as diet, exercise, etc. I've always hoped to live a long life but the flip side of that I don't want to see everyone around me die. I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse.

Pelon

Reaction score
My Aunt and Uncle are close. They just celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary. He was a young soldier assigned to guard the interned Japanese at the Santa Anita Racetrack during WWII. Bored stupid, he and a buddy cut a hole in the fence and walked to the Moonlight roller rink at the corner of Colorado and Rosemead where he met my then 17 year old Aunt. Who, ironically was a German citizen. Both are healthy and of sound mind.

DLC

Reaction score
OMG ! Thank you for posting, this is got to be one of the best posts of the year! We don’t pay enough attention to our past and the struggles we have over come.

Our current Legacy is at stake. And the history books will be re written if we don’t unit. Sounds like she is just, Another GREAT American! Living life as a free individual, raising a family and hard working, but happy in life!

Just think she has lived before telephone and now smart phone, before air travel and now on the moon, mars and satellites orbiting the earth, Horses, cars and now electric cars.

She was born during world war 1 and has experienced every conflict, war and police conflict.

She must of had, left a huge impact on you!

bagged97taco

Reaction score
My wife’s great grandma will be 103 in February. On sept 8th she fell and broke her hip. She had hip surgery on the 9th and is now in rehab and up walking again. She is bright as a light bulb. The stories she tells are amazing and I visit with her often so she can be with my 2 kids (their great great grandma) One thing crazy is that she didn’t learn to drive until her early 60s. She has seen the world change so drastically and experienced a whole lot of crazy in her lifetime She always tells us to just be happy.

4Waters

Reaction score
My great grandmother was born in 1899, she passed away in 1989 at 90yo. Her son my grandfather was born in 1920 and passed away at 93yo. I wish I would have talked to them both more about their younger years.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
On kind of the same note, but not quite there: On Saturday mornings I have coffee in town with the car guys. I am the youngest at 41, next at about 50ish. I commented on one of the guys hats, it said Hawaii. I replied he was the third generation...His grandfather was the governor. He was a young pup, about 9, when Pearl Harbor was attacked. We sat, drank coffee, and I listened to an amazing account. He saw two zeros straffing the water as they closed in on a lone American plane. It hit the water out in front of his house, but the pilot made it ashore. He said barriers and signs went up on the beach, and no swimming until after the war. He remembers going out and diving to the wreck when they could again...and seeing the wings had been peeled, and the 50's pulled out.
I try to learn from anyone willing to share. History should be important. Someone who has 50+ years on you, has forgotten more than you currently know. As I tell my kids, you should learn everyday.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Just celebrated Grandma's 94th birthday along with 1 of the nieces 4th birthday Saturday . She can remember 80 years ago like yesterday but not yesterday. Always telling stories from way back. Other Grandma still going strong back in Iowa.

KevinR

Reaction score
Lost my Gramps, Mom’s dad, 5 years ago. He was 95. Would have been 100 last month. Like others have said, great, great stories and wisdom.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...My mother...a former school teacher ...lived to be 97 ...she could read 500 pages a day ...until the last couple years of her life...

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
I've always wondered what it would take to live that long of a life as far as diet, exercise, etc. I've always hoped to live a long life but the flip side of that I don't want to see everyone around me die. I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse.

Dying is inevitable, make the most of your life on earth and look forward to bliss in Heaven.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
My wife’s grandpa just turned 95. Sharp as a tack. Listening to stories of how he grew up gives me an entirely different outlook on my day. We take all 3 boys to visit him (not frequently enough) so they can listen to his stories.

He was in the army. He started an automotive machine shop here in Albuquerque after the war. Up until about 4 years ago he would still drive 60 miles each way everyday to work and keep the machine shop going.

The interesting part is he has a different mindset than most. I don’t think the thought of death crosses his mind. He lives for today and tomorrow and doesn’t complain yesterday.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
pretty interesting thread...reminds me of when I was 10, now at 65 so much has changed...people now don't associate a steer with a hamburger...they don't know that a carrot and a potato came from the dirt....when I was 10 living on the ranch... pretty much every thing in the freezer was once walking around the farm...I remember one family and frieds get to gether, started by taking a rifle out to the pen and shooting a few pigs, alittle later, those pigs where hanging from a tree lib and their blood was draining into a pan to make sausage...I also remember my sister cry'n, and refusing to eat the pig...my uncle told her... where the hell do you think all the bacon you been eating for breakfast came from... she cry'd even louder..... LOL...they need to have a couple cows grazing out in front of burger king, with a sign.... here's where fresh beef comes from....bet they would sell a lot more fries...

I remember my aunt , about once a month going shopping, toilet paper spices, lard and such...every thing else was raised or grown in the ground..

tazzio

Reaction score
About 50 yrs. ago myself, and 3 of my buddies went to Los Angeles, I think I was about 20 yrs. old at the time. We were all involved in Midget auto racing here in Denver, and wanted to go to Ascot, and watch the Turkey Nite Grand Prix, maybe some of you California guys can relate. None of us had ever been to California before, so we had no idea where the race track was located, or were to stay, so we just made reservations at a Holiday Inn in Los Angeles. It was located in a downtown area, and all the doors were locked, we had to ring a buzzer to gain entrance. We then realized this might not have been a good choice. After checking in we went to a bar across the street which seemed like mostly locals, I first noticed this old lady sitting by herself with a draw beer on the stool closest to the door, from my experience with dive bars in Denver I perceived she was someone to steer clear of, because I figured she was just an old drunk. The 4 of us just stayed to ourselves, playing some pool, and drinking some beers. At closing time as we were walking out the door, that old women grabbed my shirt, and said excuse me, but I overheard you fellas are from Denver, and she told me she was from Denver. She was not drunk, and very articulate. She asked me all kinds of questions about Denver, and asked if us young kids are still going to Larimer St. I explained to her that Larimer St. was skid row, and no we stayed away from there. She said when she, and her friends would get off work thats where they would go. I told her my grandfather had a bar on Larimer St., she asked the name of it, and when I told her, her eyes lit up, and she said Mike is your grandfather he was such a handsome man, then asked me how he was, I told her he died about about 15 yrs. ago. I learned a lot with that little encounter, I wish I would have set at the bar with her for that 3 or 4 hours.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
just wondering here, but,... how many of you have gone out, grabbed a chicken by the head , snapped it's neck, put it on the stump and cut it head off and watched it run around the farm with no head... then plucked the feather off it... cut it up and put it on the BBQ grill, then ate with some beans, corn on the cob, and mashed potatoes????

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Hey "Chicken run" hope all is well, you should tell the story about the escapen chicken a the boat ramp....lol I'll never forget that one...
I remember that lol wifey had to run little chicken home lol

Rotten deal

Reaction score
just wondering here, but,... how many of you have gone out, grabbed a chicken by the head , snapped it's neck, put it on the stump and cut it head off and watched it run around the farm with no head... then plucked the feather off it... cut it up and put it on the BBQ grill, then ate with some beans, corn on the cob, and mashed potatoes????
I have , and Turkey for thanksgiving as well. It is a site to see. The plucking is a lot of work .

Taboma

Reaction score

Yup, was the norm when mom invited the in-laws over for a Sunday fried chicken dinner. Dad took care of the snappen and head whackin and I enjoyed sticken my finger up the chickens severed neck and ran around making clucking sounds :D I also enjoyed playing with the feet tendons and trying to pick up things with them :p
The part I hated participating in was the scalding dunk and plucking feathers, wasn't the plucking, it was the smell of the dunking part. 60+ years later and I can still smell it as I recall the memories. That was some amazing fried chicken and the morning eggs were so good too. My mom hated the roosters, pretty sure she was grinning the whole time she was frying their asses, lol :)

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I always enjoy hearing stories from the elderly. Brings you perspective on what's really important in life.

They really know how to stretch a buck. We waste more money on cell phones and Lattes than they had to live on.

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
My grandfather will be 105 in April. Amazing man (smartest guy I know). Speaks 5 languages and is still as witty and smart as ever. Moving a bit slower but sitting down with him and hearing about his life is priceless. He (thankfully) has written most of his life story down and occasionally adds a few more pages. Lucky and love him!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
My grandfather was born in 1898, and my grandmother in 1902. They had such great stories.

She bought their first house in Las Altos for $500 and a cow. Their phone number was 3. She got a speeding ticket in a Model T.
They owned a gas station during the depression, so they did OK. He owned a penny arcade in Capitola. Walked to work with a shotgun and cloth bag full of change. She remembers the 07 earthquake in San Francisco. The family fled to the hills and ate from a sack of peanuts for three days while the city burned below them.

They were wonderful people.

johnnyC

Reaction score
I did that with my grandfather as a little guy, one time I nicked the neck with the hatchet, looking back best time on my life

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

My wife's grandmother just passed. She lived on her own till just a few years ago, and we would visit her regularly. She was 98.

She had the most awesome stories! Her family owns the property Spagos sat on. I think I heard her dad built the place himself. She had money to do whatever she wanted and had traveled to most of the world.

She had buried three husbands and watched all of her friends die off. She was miserable at the end.

With all the aches and pains I have now at 61, I'm not really sure i want to know what 100 feels like!

But it sure was awesome talking to her. My kids loved her stories.

:)

RaceTec

Reaction score
I love this stuff! There are even some of you guys on here that I could just sit and listen to for hours! When I was born my mothers side of the family was in the paper because I was the 5th generation all living that was born in Orange County. My Great Great Great grandmother lived well beyond 100 and I wish I would have been old enough to spend more time with her before she passed... They are all gone now, except my mother and I, each generation passing younger than the last, the generations that grew up on farms and drank and smoked seemed to have lived longer in my family. I remember my great great grandparents showing up to every family gathering with a black leather case that was a portable bar!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I met a women today that was born in 1915. My day came to a stop and the wife and I visited with her for 4 hours. Her mind is as clear as ever and the stories just rolled out. Starting with how, when she was a kid, they went to town with horse and wagon. Walked to a one room school, twice a week. As she put it, the other 7 we worked. Stories of what they did to survive during the depression, Christmas was a piece of peppermint candy and what they did during the war. All her brothers were killed in the war but one. She post the American flag every morning and says each of their names. We talked about her first time she saw a car, plane, phone and power pole. The 40's, 50's were golden years. She has out lived all her family, her husband and her children. Talking to her made my life a little shallow looking. If you ever meet a centenarian, stop and take the time to talk to them. The people before us built this country, fought to keep it, loved it and are very disappointed in what we are doing with it.

The end part is so very true.. I believe there's another war coming.

RD

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Thank you for all the stories of the people in your lives. It was fun to read them all. Met with Daisy tonight, she wanted to see picture of out trip on the big boat. We said goodbye for real because I'm sure we will never see her again. By the way, she had seven brothers. Going to head towards Havasu in the morning. Have a few stops along the way. Who know what will happen next.

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
That's great, consider yourself very lucky to have met her, I was raised to respect and learn from my elders and fortunately living in Havasu provides that opportunity almost daily for me and I love it, I soak it up like a sponge and listen and learn from them, it's amazing how fast you realize what is important in life and they all have life lesson experience stories, but by far they all covet love and family the most.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Did anyone here have the pleasure of meeting Hardy Allen? I ask, because he knew people in all forms of things that go fast. He passed away this year, and that is a loss too humanity. He was one of Foyt's guys at Indy, and he stood out. The only black guy in the pits, in B&W photos! He said his first trip, in the 50's, he had to stay at a local church, not in the hotel. He had his doctorate in mechanical engineering I believe, and taught at CalPoly SLO. A certified genius, but still made you feel like your questions were worth asking. I met him when I was 20, treated me as an equal, not just a dumb kid(which I was). Over 20 years I found out what a pioneer he was, he'd never brag. He'd tell some stories when asked though... He was in his early 80's, but what he had seen and done was amazing.