WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I need help, poo eater

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I need the braintrust of RDP. We rescued a chihuahua puppy 2 months ago and I've got a problem. She likes to eat her poo!🤮 The problem is she is potty trained now for the most part but we have to follow her out every time she goes so we can attempt to pick it up before she turns around and munches on it. We've tried changing up her food to no avail. Help!

IMG_6865.jpg

Last edited:

GRADS

Reaction score
Sounds like a money saving dog🙂
That's funny because I told my wife that...I said we could feed her once and recycle it forever.😂

I'd be down with that but her favorite thing is face kisses and she sticks her tongue up my nostrils to where it tickles my brain.🤢🤮

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
That's funny because I told my wife that...I said we could feed her once and recycle it forever.😂

I'd be down with that but her favorite thing is face kisses and she sticks her tongue up my nostrils to where it tickles my brain.🤢🤮

Between this and the dog rubbing it’s anus on my pillow when I’m not around, I’m out.

Good luck Greg. My friend has a pug that would eat it’s poo on occasion. I’ll ask him what he did.

Last edited:

GRADS

Reaction score
Generally it’s due to some sort of deficiency in their diet.
That's what I've read but we have tried every different kind of food with different amounts.

GRADS

Reaction score
Shut the door when you go to the bathroom and he wouldnt pick up bad habits🤷🏻‍♂️🤣🤣🤣

Cover it with Tabasco before he gets a chance to eat it, he'll stop!
Someone had suggested that but thought it might be too strong. My parents used to dump that shit on my tongue when I swore when I was younger and I would cry like a baby. This poor dog is 5 lbs. but I'm considering trying it.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
When I was a kid, we had a GS mix breed dog...Brandy.

Brandy liked to eat her shit. We put the hottest hot sauces we could find on every pile we came across...she gave zero fucks. Suddenly she just stopped. No idea why.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
Call the Vet and they sell something to make the shit less appealing somehow. You put in the dogs food. I have a shit eater and then she pukes shit. It’s awesome.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Someone had suggested that but thought it might be too strong. My parents used to dump that shit on my tongue when I swore when I was younger and I would cry like a baby. This poor dog is 5 lbs. but I'm considering trying it.

My mom used to breed and train dogs and horses. It will work. Usually takes 2-3 times and they'll quit.

But, being a chihuahua he might like the "spicy" and just "thank you" for dinner? (But I doubt it🤣)

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I've heard oregano on their food makes their shit taste less good?

DB / HAV

Reaction score

must have a really long tongue!

Buster Wrench

Reaction score
Could be a vitamin deficiency. Definitely a vet can help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

A had a cat that would chew on the phone cords. That Tabasco trick worked like a charm! 🤣

4Waters

Reaction score
Trying what, closing the door or the Tabasco 🤣🤣

DLC

Reaction score
Take it out on a leash. That way when she turns around to eat her tootsie roll you can rag doll her away from that shit......
some if that behavior comes from the breeders, to many dogs in cages film at 11....

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Are you giving it any chewy snacks or anything? When we got our German Shepard, she was fine for a while, then all of sudden around 10 months old she started doing the same thing, eating it as soon as she dropped it....my wife had been giving her those green chewy treats that supposedly good for their teeth and breath, turns out they didn't digest very good and she would smell them in her poop and eat them again....as soon as we stopped giving her those, she stopped that nasty habit.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
look on chewy.com they have several "additives" you can add to their food that helps stop this

Gelcoater

Reaction score
A had a cat that would chew on the phone cords. That Tabasco trick worked like a charm! 🤣
Dogs aren’t cats😉
Mine will pluck jalapeño right off the plant.
But, being a chihuahua he might like the "spicy" and just "thank you" for dinner? (But I doubt it🤣)
There’s probably a lot of truth here.
@endobear has one that is absolutely a Mexican food dog.

4Waters

Reaction score
My mom used to breed and train dogs and horses. It will work. Usually takes 2-3 times and they'll quit.

yo-quiero.png

1tonfun

Reaction score
Visit to the vet is in order, it is an enzyme deficiency. had the same issue with our dog, change of food and dog treats and no more issues.

Warlock1

Reaction score
You said it was a rescue, right? We also rescued a small dog that did the same thing. It could also be a learned behavior. If it was a puppy mill dog then it could be that it eats it's own because it was starved in it's former life so it was simply trying to satisfy a hunger. Or we also suspect our dog was simply let out when his service was no longer needed and as a stray they also do the same thing.

Lots of attention, training and love eventually broke ours of the habit.

If I could find the people that damaged our rescue dog, I'd show them what a true hurtin is...

GRADS

Reaction score
You said it was a rescue, right? We also rescued a small dog that did the same thing. It could also be a learned behavior. If it was a puppy mill dog then it could be that it eats it's own because it was starved in it's former life so it was simply trying to satisfy a hunger. Or we also suspect our dog was simply let out when his service was no longer needed and as a stray they also do the same thing.

Lots of attention, training and love eventually broke ours of the habit.

If I could find the people that damaged our rescue dog, I'd show them what a true hurtin is...
We think this might be the case. She was the runt of the litter and most of her siblings were twice her size. They would just dump out a pile of food on the floor and let them fend for themselves.

samsah33

Reaction score
Try feeding her asparagus.

Not sure if will help with poo-eating, but at least you'll sleep well know she won't be drinking her pee...

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
That's what I've read but we have tried every different kind of food with different amounts.

Quality foods vs grocery store brand... Thats the first thing I would do.

There is a powder to put in their food that will break them of it quick...I had one of mine briefly do it as a puppy and its never happened since.