WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I need help with actuators please

Malik

Reaction score
These are the actuators I have. One works, one doesn't. The consensus is to just replacement with new ones. I am fine with that but everywhere I search there are so many I don't know what to get. They are 12 inches in total length and I would like to have something the same size. Can someone post a link to what they would buy or the name and model of what you would buy so that I make sure to get the right ones? Thank you very much.

actuator 1.jpg
Actuator 2.jpg
Actuator 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
What are those out of? Is this a restoration project or a "make it work" project? I ask because they look very "military-esque"...Korea or 'Nam era. If 24 volts is required still, you may look at Grainger's. Really, any place that deals in automation, like manufacturing equipment repair and supply. Another option would be to have those repaired. If it's just in need of the armature/motor repair, not a big deal.
With those being a self contained electric over hydraulic, the force needed may be an issue. Most readily available linear actuators are electric, screw or worm drive. Not a lot of power.
Depending on packaging limitations, another option would be to use hydraulic rams, with a remote electric pump. Again, really dependent upon what the situation requires.

Icky

Reaction score
Try progressive automation, I used a similar one for my TV mount.

Malik

Reaction score
What are those out of? Is this a restoration project or a "make it work" project? I ask because they look very "military-esque"...Korea or 'Nam era. If 24 volts is required still, you may look at Grainger's. Really, any place that deals in automation, like manufacturing equipment repair and supply. Another option would be to have those repaired. If it's just in need of the armature/motor repair, not a big deal.
With those being a self contained electric over hydraulic, the force needed may be an issue. Most readily available linear actuators are electric, screw or worm drive. Not a lot of power.
Depending on packaging limitations, another option would be to use hydraulic rams, with a remote electric pump. Again, really dependent upon what the situation requires.
They are for the cav plates on my 24 Specta.

lenmann

Reaction score
It would be helpful if you posted some pics of your transom, the cavitation plates, the existing cavitation plate actuating mechanism (shaft, struts, lever arm, actuator mounts, etc.)

Showing us just the actuators leaves us guessing about how the whole system is set up on your boat. There is no "one" way to set up cav plates even today, add in the long history of plates and v-drives its hard to help without a more complete picture of what you are working with.

Lots of knowledge and people willing to help here, we just need some more info.

Mcchevy69ss

Reaction score
I think those are flap actuators out of a B29. There are a couple of airplane salvage dealers in Burbank that may have them.

Malik

Reaction score
It would be helpful if you posted some pics of your transom, the cavitation plates, the existing cavitation plate actuating mechanism (shaft, struts, lever arm, actuator mounts, etc.)

Showing us just the actuators leaves us guessing about how the whole system is set up on your boat. There is no "one" way to set up cav plates even today, add in the long history of plates and v-drives its hard to help without a more complete picture of what you are working with.

I will get some shortly, thanks for the help.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Don't know what your stroke is, but these are good and available in very wide range of sizes

Screenshot_20201118-224401_Chrome.jpg

elco

Reaction score
Nameplate makes me think those are aircraft parts. Crane hydo-aire is in burbank. Wouldnt even bother getting a quote on a repair if its a surplus military actuator. Might be worthwhile to try to just disassemble clean and reassemble.

Malik

Reaction score

A22AB121-CB3F-4B93-87B9-5950A6FBEBCA.jpeg

Attachments

• 54423DE0-7C92-4FE3-A2E1-652132E2445E.jpeg
    54423DE0-7C92-4FE3-A2E1-652132E2445E.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 40
  • E3D3EBDC-9741-4C1C-A7B9-7B43ABEF7142.jpeg
    E3D3EBDC-9741-4C1C-A7B9-7B43ABEF7142.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 41

lenmann

Reaction score
This unit from Progressive Automation looks like it might be pretty close to the same dimensional envelope. You would have to fab up or modify your existing end mounts. Its not cheap, but I think it offers the right amount of force, travel, and it has adjustable limit stops so you won't over travel anything.

Malik

Reaction score
This unit from Progressive Automation looks like it might be pretty close to the same dimensional envelope. You would have to fab up or modify your existing end mounts. Its not cheap, but I think it offers the right amount of force, travel, and it has adjustable limit stops so you won't over travel anything.

Thank you very much.