WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I/O outboard swap.

Reaction score
Anyone swapped from I/O to outboard or vice versa? Currently have a 96 Tritoon with a 350/alpha. Contemplating swapping to outboard but not sure what size.
Seems like taking weight of the complete I/O package and HP specs and do the same for the outboard. But are there any other factors?
The outboard would mount farther back which I imagine would make the boat handle differently but what else am I missing?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I think the part your missing is you would be much better off cost wise to sell the boat and buy and outboard one

Reaction score
I think the part your missing is you would be much better off cost wise to sell the boat and buy and outboard one

Where is the adventure in that? I’m not sure this is true in my case. I might be able to sell mine for $25k. The boats I’d be looking at would be about $50k. I can do a pretty nice motor swap for under $25k.
I’ve got a ton of time and money in paint/interior/customization in mine and if I bought another it would be standard boring.
Selling and buying isn’t out of the question. Just weighing my options.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I would think it comes down to the construction on the pontoon. What size diameter logs, are there lifting strakes? You're definitely going to be losing some weight But being a pontoon its not like the motor is buried deeper in the hull than an outboard would be. Sure the weight will be moved further back but I don't think it would affect the center of gravity as much as a v hull. Might need to move a little weight up into the bow. Interesting project I will be following along.

Reaction score
I would think it comes down to the construction on the pontoon. What size diameter logs, are there lifting strakes? You're definitely going to be losing some weight But being a pontoon its not like the motor is buried deeper in the hull than an outboard would be. Sure the weight will be moved further back but I don't think it would affect the center of gravity as much as a v hull. Might need to move a little weight up into the bow. Interesting project I will be following along.
Mine is a 96 Ercoa “hextoon”. I think they are about 20” or so toons but since they are not round it’s hard to say. This model boat is the only one I’ve seen with these toons. Since nobody copied them I’m thinking it wasn’t the most amazing design.

I’ve thought about hanging a merc 300 off the back or replacing the outside toons with outboard toons and doing dual 150s just cause it’s cool. But that would require trailer mods too.
Just thinking out loud