WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I should be feeling happy about....

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
getting on the road starting Sunday for my epic travels across the USA but due to the fucking political environment it is sucking some of the air out of the balloon of anticipation. Not all anticipation but definitely dampers the enthusiasm. I won't be a 5 hour drive away from my son and grandsons as I have been if needed.

Fucking politicians and woke crowd have really done serious damage to this country. The rage and dividing US the people is really boiling over. I think it was WTG that compared us as the frogs in the warming water and its true. I will be avoiding all big cities as I travel and am hoping that maybe....just maybe....my travels will provide me with some renewed hope for our nation and my son and grandsons futures.

My intention is to provide updates as I go along and document what I see and hear from the locals of the small towns and places along the way. It will be interesting to get a gauge of how people really feel on what is going on in the USA. I am sure I will meet a fair share of nuts along the way. I will not start conversations about todays state of the USA but I am sure many will along the way. My first thought is that by avoiding big cities I will meet more people that feel more like me but we shall see. I want to enjoy my travels and see new areas I haven't been to before and of course stop at the places I have enjoyed in the past. I wish I could write it all up like TPC does as I love his writing style. All I can do is give it my best shot.

Maybe a second cup of coffee will right the ship this AM.

Alright......off to start getting things done around here. Sunday will be here quick

If this turns heavy political no problem with moving this to the P&G area......

2Driver

Reaction score
Every time we get into the back country, like last weekend, I’m reminded that the open land, mountains and nature are still the same beautiful place, free of the BS. Turn down the media and go enjoy it.

486BD3E6-E893-4A67-825E-5F4218D3B9A6.jpeg

Attachments

• F28C0977-BFAB-43F4-A892-4DF0BF0C4F91.jpeg
    F28C0977-BFAB-43F4-A892-4DF0BF0C4F91.jpeg
    538.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

RichL

Reaction score
Safe travels. Will keep an eye open for your updates.

sintax

Reaction score
Don’t over think it, you’ll be so surprised once you get out of this area and into somewhere rural. All the BS tends to fade away. Enjoy the trip, try to stay at as many BLM sites as possible, my aunt and uncle did a similar trip last year and did just that 75% is the 6 months.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
There is still a lot of really good people in the USA. It's the 2% that provide all the BS nonsense. Good idea staying away from big cities. I generally find that once the population exceeds 100K people the inner city insanity takes over their minds for some reason? Look for the good in people and you will find it. Keep the rubber side down and Happy Trails!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to drive cross country a few times. Small "towns"...those with a combo gas station, hardware store and post office, are where I have met some of the nicest humans. Sometimes they look at you suspiciously, but they soon realize that you like their ways more than the city you may have come from.

Small towns are the heart of this country. As much as DC and the governors hate it, it's the truth. The news follows the chaos of stupidity, those screaming the loudest. No one cares that Sally Jean had a baby girl, or Mark asked Jenny to marry him. Small towns do.

I live in a smaller town, but not a small town as I'd like too. Those towns take care of eachother, even strangers. They do it without being forced.

If you avoid big cities, and stick to the two-lane, I think you'll find some hope on the horizon. Windshield therapy can do wonders, depending on where you head.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Turn off the main stream news and head out. If you stay away from the large cities and most coastal regions i think you will find that a majority of middle america still holds your beliefs and values.

I don't even really watch sports anymore. As soon as Sports center takes a turn to politics i shut it off for the night. h/aven't watched the NBA in a year....F-em

Safe travels enjoy that retirement!

DLC

Reaction score
Shit your just now leaving! I thought you left already and have been gone for a while!

lol

Have a safe trip! Don’t skimp on anything and enjoy your self! There is a whole country to see and a VERY small % of people that are F ups, don’t let that get in your way.

most importantly don’t wait until 4th if July to celebrate our FREEDOMS !!! Do it each and every day! That means get out and travel

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
travels across the USA
you will be relieved to find that being away from exposure to internet and news that actual people are really nice, good, decent, kind, and fun and welcoming. AND the majority of our country is a wide expanse of mostly undeveloped natural lands or lightly developed farmland. It is truly weird to drive for an hour and see no other car on the road...two hours of nobody in either direction.
Be a happy wanderer! (go to around 18 min in the clip to see the interview with Henrietta) Her favorite spot is lake powell.
(or go to around 26 minutes to get Slim's and Henrietta's life philosophy.) I predict you will give a f@ck

Last edited:

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Can't wait to hear the updates! Did a cross-country 2 years ago and doing it again in June...looking forward to some new and different spots you visit.

Safe travels and God bless!

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I made my first cross country trip in 1978. I was stationed in Ft Lewis, WA and was getting transferred to Germany so was supposed to report to Ft Dix, NJ to fly out. I really didn't want to leave WA so I took a thirty day leave and then waited until the last minute to leave so I had to hammer across. I made the trip in 4 days with the help of some little white pills. Things were a bit different back then. I took I-90 and there was a section in Idaho where it turned to two lane and then dirt! I remember seeing the signs for Wall Drug for hundreds of miles so of course had to stop there. It was much smaller then but still just a tourist trap. I did buy a bumper sticker though.

I sold off all my cars and bought a Chevy LUV pickup because it got good gas mileage and I figured I'd drop a SBC in it when I got back from Germany. Of course, it had no cruise control and eventually my right leg got so tired I had the drive with my left leg on the gas. I didn't have a credit card (not many people did back then) and was paying for gas with cash. I got to western NY border and ran out for money. I was thinking I might have to find a pawn shop and hock my camera to get gas money to finish the trip! Fortunately the little truck made it the rest of the way on the last fill up.

I've made many more cross country trips since then. Always destination oriented and short on time so didn't do much sight seeing. I regret that now.

I had planned on doing my around the country tour trip last fall in my '34 Ford (see avatar) but canceled because of covid. I posted a thread on the HAMB about it and was going to call it my "Searching For Milner" tour. The plan was to do the trip old school with paper maps, staying on two lanes and hitting small towns along the way. I wanted to pull into a town and talk to locals to try to meet old hot rodders and hear their stories about their younger days. I want to record them and take lots of photos to document it all.

Obviously, with everything shut down it would have really prevented me from meeting people so I postponed it. Hoping by this fall things will be opened up enough to make the trip. Probably going to go then regardless.

What route are you taking and what places do you plan to see? I live in a very rural area and most places stayed open but we lost some businesses. I think this plandemic will have permanent lasting effects on small town America which I believe was their intent. Destroy the middle class and drive everyone into the cities. I think now is the time to make these kind of trips before most of Americana is long gone. I know so much has changed since I made that first trip. See it now before it is too late.

Good luck in your travels and please post up a report here so we can travel along with you.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Good luck Tom, enjoy life on the road as you imagined it and hopefully it will be that and more for you.

Be safe and keep us all posted. We're some steps behind you looking to start traveling soon but not as long distances at first. I look forward to hearing about your experiences and adventures!

RodnJen

Reaction score
You are going to love it. Have a great time and report back only as you feel the need to.

1tonfun

Reaction score
I made my first cross country trip in 1978. I was stationed in Ft Lewis, WA and was getting transferred to Germany so was supposed to report to Ft Dix, NJ to fly out. I really didn't want to leave WA so I took a thirty day leave and then waited until the last minute to leave so I had to hammer across. I made the trip in 4 days with the help of some little white pills. Things were a bit different back then. I took I-90 and there was a section in Idaho where it turned to two lane and then dirt! I remember seeing the signs for Wall Drug for hundreds of miles so of course had to stop there. It was much smaller then but still just a tourist trap. I did buy a bumper sticker though.

I sold off all my cars and bought a Chevy LUV pickup because it got good gas mileage and I figured I'd drop a SBC in it when I got back from Germany. Of course, it had no cruise control and eventually my right leg got so tired I had the drive with my left leg on the gas. I didn't have a credit card (not many people did back then) and was paying for gas with cash. I got to western NY border and ran out for money. I was thinking I might have to find a pawn shop and hock my camera to get gas money to finish the trip! Fortunately the little truck made it the rest of the way on the last fill up.

I've made many more cross country trips since then. Always destination oriented and short on time so didn't do much sight seeing. I regret that now.

I had planned on doing my around the country tour trip last fall in my '34 Ford (see avatar) but canceled because of covid. I posted a thread on the HAMB about it and was going to call it my "Searching For Milner" tour. The plan was to do the trip old school with paper maps, staying on two lanes and hitting small towns along the way. I wanted to pull into a town and talk to locals to try to meet old hot rodders and hear their stories about their younger days. I want to record them and take lots of photos to document it all.

Obviously, with everything shut down it would have really prevented me from meeting people so I postponed it. Hoping by this fall things will be opened up enough to make the trip. Probably going to go then regardless.

What route are you taking and what places do you plan to see? I live in a very rural area and most places stayed open but we lost some businesses. I think this plandemic will have permanent lasting effects on small town America which I believe was their intent. Destroy the middle class and drive everyone into the cities. I think now is the time to make these kind of trips before most of Americana is long gone. I know so much has changed since I made that first trip. See it now before it is too late.

Good luck in your travels and please post up a report here so we can travel along with you.
You should have hit the road. We hit a number of small towns during the pandemic and one thing was common, no masks. Rural America for the most part has not bought into the hype that Covid will KILL you. We saw signs at the fourth of July parade asking people to please practice social distancing but people were lined up shoulder to shoulder to watch the parade without a mask in sight. The cafe's were packed and it was business as usual in rural America.

Dilligaf, safe travels and post lots of pics!!

Singleton

Reaction score
Enjoy your trip.
When we did our 3 week Yellowstone adventure, my kids learned life in smaller cities is where it is at. Avoided all the bid cities except Vegas (daughter said Vegas folks were rude), once outside the larger cities she said everyone seems happier and are much nicer. :)

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Comgrats on the new adventure

Remember the Parker teeth rule applies in some parts of every state🤣

Safe travels Sir

fmo24

Reaction score
We have been holed up in central Florida this winter but I’m getting antsy to get back out on the road. We are heading north this summer. Michigan Ohio Indiana and any where else that looks interesting. As said stay out of the cities and cruise state roads and small towns and you will be amazed at how the attitudes improve

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Agreed with all above comments..... its up to you what you let effect you..... I call it Mind Space.... I don't allow bad stuff in... stay on the sunny side and enjoy your journey.

buck35

Reaction score
We have been holed up in central Florida this winter but I’m getting antsy to get back out on the road. We are heading north this summer. Michigan Ohio Indiana and any where else that looks interesting. As said stay out of the cities and cruise state roads and small towns and you will be amazed at how the attitudes improve

If you do Indiana, hit up the Auburn museum ,you won't be disappointed.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
If you do Indiana, hit up the Auburn museum ,you won't be disappointed.

I met a guy this weekend....Just moved here from IN. I asked him where should I go in IN....He said nowhere and just bypass it :)

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Enjoy your adventures! Pay attention to the verdict timing. Looking forward to reading your write ups.

I was trying to get an idea on that one. I will be in TX for two weeks so hopefully while there before heading into the South I will know.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Don’t over think it, you’ll be so surprised once you get out of this area and into somewhere rural. All the BS tends to fade away. Enjoy the trip, try to stay at as many BLM sites as possible, my aunt and uncle did a similar trip last year and did just that 75% is the 6 months.

Thats the plan....TX

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to drive cross country a few times. Small "towns"...those with a combo gas station, hardware store and post office, are where I have met some of the nicest humans. Sometimes they look at you suspiciously, but they soon realize that you like their ways more than the city you may have come from.

Small towns are the heart of this country. As much as DC and the governors hate it, it's the truth. The news follows the chaos of stupidity, those screaming the loudest. No one cares that Sally Jean had a baby girl, or Mark asked Jenny to marry him. Small towns do.

I live in a smaller town, but not a small town as I'd like too. Those towns take care of eachother, even strangers. They do it without being forced.

If you avoid big cities, and stick to the two-lane, I think you'll find some hope on the horizon. Windshield therapy can do wonders, depending on where you head.

Truth

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Shit your just now leaving! I thought you left already and have been gone for a while!

lol

Have a safe trip! Don’t skimp on anything and enjoy your self! There is a whole country to see and a VERY small % of people that are F ups, don’t let that get in your way.

most importantly don’t wait until 4th if July to celebrate our FREEDOMS !!! Do it each and every day! That means get out and travel

LOL>....I won't. Life is meant to be enjoyed While you CAN

Reactions: DLC

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
you will be relieved to find that being away from exposure to internet and news that actual people are really nice, good, decent, kind, and fun and welcoming. AND the majority of our country is a wide expanse of mostly undeveloped natural lands or lightly developed farmland. It is truly weird to drive for an hour and see no other car on the road...two hours of nobody in either direction.
Be a happy wanderer! (go to around 18 min in the clip to see the interview with Henrietta) Her favorite spot is lake powell.
(or go to around 26 minutes to get Slim's and Henrietta's life philosophy.) I predict you will give a f@ck

Kind of on the fence on this....haha Hopefully you get that one :)

Tx

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

Awesome......Do your trip SOONER rather than later (which may never arrive!). I will be all over starting heading east-south then path unknown from there.r

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Good luck Tom, enjoy life on the road as you imagined it and hopefully it will be that and more for you.

Be safe and keep us all posted. We're some steps behind you looking to start traveling soon but not as long distances at first. I look forward to hearing about your experiences and adventures!

Get on the road already :)

cyclone

My name is Mike and I have a boating problem.
Reaction score
getting on the road starting Sunday for my epic travels across the USA but due to the fucking political environment it is sucking some of the air out of the balloon of anticipation. Not all anticipation but definitely dampers the enthusiasm. I won't be a 5 hour drive away from my son and grandsons as I have been if needed.

Fucking politicians and woke crowd have really done serious damage to this country. The rage and dividing US the people is really boiling over. I think it was WTG that compared us as the frogs in the warming water and its true. I will be avoiding all big cities as I travel and am hoping that maybe....just maybe....my travels will provide me with some renewed hope for our nation and my son and grandsons futures.

My intention is to provide updates as I go along and document what I see and hear from the locals of the small towns and places along the way. It will be interesting to get a gauge of how people really feel on what is going on in the USA. I am sure I will meet a fair share of nuts along the way. I will not start conversations about todays state of the USA but I am sure many will along the way. My first thought is that by avoiding big cities I will meet more people that feel more like me but we shall see. I want to enjoy my travels and see new areas I haven't been to before and of course stop at the places I have enjoyed in the past. I wish I could write it all up like TPC does as I love his writing style. All I can do is give it my best shot.

Maybe a second cup of coffee will right the ship this AM.

Alright......off to start getting things done around here. Sunday will be here quick

If this turns heavy political no problem with moving this to the P&G area......
I constantly travel the U.S. by car and what ive found is that once you ignore the internet and both NY and LA, that people in the rest of the country couldn't care less about what is on the news every day.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I constantly travel the U.S. by car and what ive found is that once you ignore the internet and both NY and LA, that people in the rest of the country couldn't care less about what is on the news every day.

So true, it’s like you’re in another country.