WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I start my new job career today, advice needed

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
So as most of your know I was miserable at my last job. Well after many months of searching I landed the opportunity I was looking for. I am still in aerospace but at a billion dollar company not a small 12 million dollar one now. In fact I have the same posistion. With that all being said, today is my first day. Any advice you guys can share? This will be a long term move for me.

Also to make things more confusing. My previous employer still wants me to do side work for them or small to medium projects. Should I do those for the extra cash? Or say no thank you and walk away?

Thanks

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Congratulations on making a change for the better for yourself! I truly hope it turns out to be exactly what you are looking for.

First impressions are everything, I'd say be yourself and the one thing that irks me on new guys in my engineering dept is when they feel they have to sell me their resume. My thoughts are that management weeded you out of the crowd and you "won" the position, that stuff is over. Just be a productive, positive member of the team. Don't get caught up in office politics and choose "sides", you'll figure out on your own that riding down the middle is the best place to be. The other thing I like to live by is don't complain about something unless you have a fix for it. Bitching just to bitch is not productive; standing up for what you believe is right is.

Good luck on your first day!

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Make yousolf useful to your new employer. Sounds simple but a lot goes along with it.

As for side work, it sends a message to both sides that is not in your long-term best interest. IMHO.
New job wouldnt know about the project work that I possibly would be doing for old job, that would occur after hours and on weekends I’m available.

My plan is to soak it in, put myself into receive mode and do as I am asked. Until I learn the new operation than 6 months or so, speak up and say have we thought about doing it this way or that way

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I wouldn’t do the side work. Weren’t you just talking shit about how much I work?
Yep that’s a good point, thanks for reminding me :).

Btw it’s all fun and games. Still jealous you have your two big houses :)

rrrr

Reaction score
New job wouldnt know about the project work that I possibly would be doing for old job, that would occur after hours and on weekends I’m available.

The aviation and aerospace industry is populated by a cadre of people that have relationship ties going back decades. Executives and employees of these companies move from one well known company to the next, and it's not unusual for a person to be reemployed by a company he had previously worked for. I think Ritchey Rich and a couple other long timers in the industry can confirm this.

Because of this, it's entirely possible your new employer will quickly discover that you are performing secondary work for an industry competitor. Because you likely signed several documents you didn't read carefully at your hiring interview, the revelation you are doing "side work" could very likely result in you becoming unemployed.

If this happens, it will become known in the industry to some extent. There's no way to prevent it.

If I were you, I would think very carefully about what you are planning to do, especially since you have a rather cavalier attitude about it. With the unemployment rate at 3.6%, your ability to find a job that checks all your boxes might become very difficult to find if you are released for violating company policies regarding proprietary work products and unauthorized contact with rival companies.

Billion dollar companies act differently.

Maybe I'm totally off base, but what you're planning to do could be viewed as unethical, and it could negatively affect you in a way you had never considered. I would tread lightly if I were you.

Other than that, best wishes for your success.

Last edited:

DWC

Reaction score
Get there before your boss and leave after.
-Make it a point to get on the bosses assistant good side. (Always good for a save).
-Double, triple check your to-do list before leaving each day.
- Turn in everything on time
-Figure out who the friends/enemies are early.
-Figure out a way to say yes as much as possible.
-Volunteer for extra work whenever possible.
- Take it easy on the long weekends for the first year
- Don’t take the side work. Put everything into the new job.
- PS: Keep an eye on anyone that had the job, applied for it or was friends with the last person

Last edited:

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I would only consider doing side work for a previous employer if it was strictly cash, and it did not interfere with my full-time employment.

Good Luck on your new position. Make sure to put away money for a rainy day. After 30+ years in aerospace I can confidently say that no employment is long term!

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
So wait......you were miserable at your old job....so you took the same job, but just at a different place? How is that a new career choice? Lol.....So maybe the misery comes from working for the old employer....and you still wanna work there too? You sound confused homie....what's the real issue...lets dig deeper. :D

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
So wait......you were miserable at your old job....so you took the same job, but just at a different place? How is that a new career choice? Lol.....So maybe the misery comes from working for the old employer....and you still wanna work there too? You sound confused homie....what's the real issue...lets dig deeper. :D
Meaning I have the same title. I loved what I did at my smaller company. The company was not heading in the direction I wanted it to go in. So I felt it was time to leave.

I love aerospace and I feel I am rather good at supply chain/operations type roles. I can attest that people do bounce around in this industry and I am sure I will know 1 or more people at my new employer from doing this for 10 years already.

As for the side work, nothing is set in stone. I know my previous employer emailed me over the weekend about doing this type of work. They are not going to replace me easily or quickly and the news of me leaving was a bit of a shock to them.

Right now the after hours or side work would be strictly on my terms if I did take it. Meaning I choose the price and the term of which it will be completed. I do not need the extra money from it but it would be nice :).

Before doing anything with previous employer I will carefully read my contracts with new employer and see if there is something in there about this type of stuff. My wife is in HR and she can help me there too. Even though these are both aerospace. They are two different companies entirely. One is electronics and new one is mechanical.
-Make it a point to get on the bosses assistant good side. (Always good for a save).
- PS: Keep an eye on anyone that had the job, applied for it or was friends with the last person

I do know I am replacing someone who is retiring.
Still aerospace though.

Reactions: DWC

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Severe ALL ties with old company.
Conflict of interest.
Divilging new co. info to old co. people.
Have NOTHING to do with old co.
New guys will fire you in a blink if they found out.
NADA !

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Good luck Ian. Just soak it in and make a good impression.

TCHB

Reaction score
1. Hit the ground running with a positive attitude.
2. Show them your value.
Have fun and keep the smile.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Followed this pretty closely. It’s worked out very well for my career.

Reactions: DWC

jetur

Reaction score
Show them your positive hard working ethic. Don't do the side work, not worth someone finding out about now that its all over SM. Lol.

cpdad93

Reaction score
study old Seinfeld episodes and George Castanza will provide a complete thesis on what not to do.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
why do you need side work? New company obviously isn’t paying enough. That or your not working hard enough to be tired at the end of the day.

Don’t say well the company I used to work for does it this way....

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Good luck. I did exactly what you are talking about. I quit one job and went to a competitor and ended up working a 1099 deal with the old emplyer. Was good for a few months working weekends for the extra cash. I eventually stopped doing the 1099 work since it became more evident why I left this company in the beginning.

The aerospace industry is very small. I worked with many people at both these companies that I've worked with in the past at much larger companies. Also, met some that worked with my Grandfather. RIP Grandpa.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Be an asset
Be positive.
Be someone people want to have around.
Congrats, hope it works out the way you plan!

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
My previous employer still wants me to do side work for them or small to medium projects. Should I do those for the extra cash? Or say no thank you and walk away?

Thanks

Sounds to me like starting your own business, and working for yourself, might be something to consider.

Make a scalable business and stop trading time for money as a wage cuck [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I am all for sidework...in most cases. This would not be one of them. A percieved conflict of interest is all they need to can you. There is no such thing as "extra" money. It will all eventaully be spent. If you're looking for play money, find something you can do not related to your current employment. For the time being at least, focus all your energy towards this new endeavor. Both you and your employer will see benefits from it.

As JD eluded to...leave parking lot for sex...even with cleaning ladies!

dezrtracer

Reaction score
Just be yourself and kick ass like always ... Oh and make sure you tell them you need a lot of time off to hit up the river ....

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Don't throw rocks (or boulders)...

tumblr_pox7bo7x5t1weo0two1_400.gif

Good luck and try to ENJOY your work - you spend more time with people you work with than anyone else

Maestro

Reaction score
Focus on the new employer, don't want to create any conflict of interest or exscuse to be let go.

rrrr

Reaction score
I am all for sidework...in most cases. This would not be one of them. A perceived conflict of interest is all they need to can you.

The thing about aerospace stuff is that it's almost all proprietary work. Intellectual property is closely guarded. There aren't five companies making the same parts. There is significant design, engineering, and manufacturing performed by multiple firms in a supply chain that feeds larger companies and ultimately the end user. That end user is often the government.

I'm not a rocket scientist, but one of my best friends is. He works in missile technology at Triumph Aerospace Structures in Grand Prairie, which is between Dallas and Fort Worth. We've had discussions about this sort of thing, which means he has told me he can't say anything about what he does.

Imagine him or someone like him doing side work for Bell Aerospace, also located in Grand Prairie. There would be severe and immediate repercussions.

The OP's situation may be totally different. But if his new employer has revenues in billions, as he stated, they aren't going to be chill with a new employee doing stuff on the side for anything related to his position. This is especially true because he said his new job duties are the same he performed for his previous employer.

I'd play it safe. If "extra" money is needed, sign up with Uber.

DWC

Reaction score
Don't have sex in the parking lot.

Last guy i had to let go diddled one of his asst mgrs after his promotion party. Her husband did the find my phone and caught them. Poor guy was in position less than 60 days. The only good thing was reading his texts during the investigation.
Last advice:
- don’t use your work phone for stupid shit.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Last guy i had to let go diddled one of his asst mgrs after his promotion party. Her husband did the find my phone and caught them. Poor guy was in position less than 60 days. The only good thing was reading his texts during the investigation.
Last advice:
You guys hiring? Sounds like you have some good parties:p

JD D05

Reaction score
Last advice:

This stuff happens a ton.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I've always gone by the saying of don't burn bridges.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I agree with the intellectual property deal. Might be a big deal or maybe not. Who knows??

See where you stand with the new employer regarding the side work without letting them know about it.

Just in case you decide to do it anyway. Lol. Keep it quiet

;):D

DWC

Reaction score
This stuff happens a ton.
We lost a senior leader last year. When he couldn’t be found in the morning they had hotel security track it down. Turns out the facial recognition stuff in Vegas is the real deal.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I realize I probably know more than most about your old employer.. and I’m not one to ever burn a bridge.. but if those cocksuckers did to me what they were doing to you I would tell them to suck on my hairy white balls.l if they called me for side work.

I can’t even believe you’d consider doing side work for those pole smokers.

Pull your head out of your ass, and when you get to your new job keep it down and work hard and learn their systems and processes.

My .02