WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I think I dodged a bullet

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I‘m not new to boating, I’ve had friends I go on their boats all my life, I have hundreds of hours sailing and certifications and I’ve owned sail boats and jet skies.

my wife and I decided it’s time for us to buy a boat. Seems there is a bit of a gap between what we want to spend and what we want to buy, shocking.

Anyways, we found what appeared to be a suitable boat online which was only marginally more than we wanted to spend. It was several hundred miles from our home in the middle of Arizona, about 3 hrs east of Parker. I negotiated with the guy and decided to come take a look at it, he was resistant to do a lake test but was willing for a $300 non refundable deposit on the boat. I made the drive out there 2 weeks ago and did a compression test as he had agreed, cylinders were all at 115-140 pounds with the exception of #8, 95 pounds. I didn’t even take it out on the water test.

I’m not dropping any names, but an custom engine builder who you probably all have heard of told me that the 502 with 440 hrs and those readings probably has carbon on that valve and it’s an easy fix. Looking at the plugs, they all looked well used and evenly colored with no signs of problems. Well I was out in Parker on business and began negotiating with the guy again, willing to take a risk at a reduced price which he agreed to. I said deal, I’ll PP F&F $300 and meet your at lake pleasant. says he can’t make it to the lake because his GF has surgery.. I say NP, I’ll pay for the boat, you allow me 3 days to test the boat at Havasu with a friend. He says nope, got to take care of the GF

I was really excited about this boat but obviously he has something to hide :(

Better to walk away from the wrong boat than to tow it home.

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
Welcome!!!

Yes, it sounds like you dodged a bullet. I cannot think of too many situations where I would buy something like this used without a test drive. Yeah, he may have to take care of GF, but if he is not even trying to get you out for a ride, something don't sound right to me.

outboard_256

Reaction score
If its legit just wait till he handles the GF situation, but keep looking for a boat in the mean time. IF you haven't found one and he messages you in a few weeks take it for a test drive. If I am having family problems I don't care about selling a boat.

If he is hiding something you won't hear from him again.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Maybe his girlfriend is more important than selling a boat?? 🤷‍♂️ Plus I’ve never heard of anybody letting somebody take their boat for a 3 day test drive? I sure wouldn’t
No, I was going to pay him in full and take title first, this was just if there were any major problems. just an hour in the lake really

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Was just curious, as for PM's click on the name under the avatar and hit "start conversation"
I’ll have to talk to the admins, I don’t have that button.
F3B5427B-6DAA-42C1-9F31-1DEBCE9EDCBA.png

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Run away!

Those compression reading are junk. There is no easy fix.

What are you looking for and what's your budget??

Welcome!
22’-27’ closed bow $30K tops. Looked at a 30’ Scarab and a 27’ fountain. Both were late 90’s and low 400’s hrs. 502mag +bravo1 is what I think I want.

Looking for something I can get a season or 3 before going through the engine, drive and cockpit Upholstery. I expect that will be $10-20K

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
22’-27’ closed bow $30K tops. Looked at a 30’ Scarab and a 27’ fountain. Both were late 90’s and low 400’s hrs. 502mag +bravo1 is what I think I want.

Looking for something I can get a season or 3 before going through the engine, drive and cockpit Upholstery. I expect that will be $10-20K

@Hammer

Mike may have something would work for you.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Could be that you are new and RD wants to make sure your not the source of the leftist infiltration in to the site....lol
I run E85 in my sand car for the environment, is that too lefty for this site?

for the environment my turbo puts my heads through that is…..

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
@Hammer

Mike may have something would work for you.
Yea, I saw his 240, I love Halletts, but 1991 freaks my wife out and $30k is my max.

the 1991 doesn’t bother me and that boat gives me a chubby But to hit $30K I have to pull money from my E85 sand rail engine should be finished by December.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yea, I saw his 240, I love Halletts, but 1991 freaks my wife out and $30k is my max.

the 1991 doesn’t bother me and that boat gives me a chubby But to hit $30K I have to pull money from my E85 sand rail engine should be finished by December.

Well, if you don't have to spend any money in the future on it...

Just food for thought. 😊

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I actually PMed him back and forth
5AEEABD0-3E0E-4690-8A9F-F1E808E51BAC.png
about it 2 weeks ago when I still had PM privlages…. Unfortunately, I’ve been discovered as a BLM interloper
:eek:

Hammer

Reaction score
Shoot me a text- (818) 321-5765

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Wait, we are talking about a boat here, right?

I think I might be on the wrong site or something….. LOLOLOLOL

Good point! 😂

I was just referring to your comment about getting a "season or three" out of it. 😉

Mike takes care of his stuff.

But you're right. Sometimes the fun never ends. 😝

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I‘m not new to boating, I’ve had friends I go on their boats all my life, I have hundreds of hours sailing and certifications and I’ve owned sail boats and jet skies.

my wife and I decided it’s time for us to buy a boat. Seems there is a bit of a gap between what we want to spend and what we want to buy, shocking.

Anyways, we found what appeared to be a suitable boat online which was only marginally more than we wanted to spend. It was several hundred miles from our home in the middle of Arizona, about 3 hrs east of Parker. I negotiated with the guy and decided to come take a look at it, he was resistant to do a lake test but was willing for a $300 non refundable deposit on the boat. I made the drive out there 2 weeks ago and did a compression test as he had agreed, cylinders were all at 115-140 pounds with the exception of #8, 95 pounds. I didn’t even take it out on the water test.

I’m not dropping any names, but an custom engine builder who you probably all have heard of told me that the 502 with 440 hrs and those readings probably has carbon on that valve and it’s an easy fix. Looking at the plugs, they all looked well used and evenly colored with no signs of problems. Well I was out in Parker on business and began negotiating with the guy again, willing to take a risk at a reduced price which he agreed to. I said deal, I’ll PP F&F $300 and meet your at lake pleasant. says he can’t make it to the lake because his GF has surgery.. I say NP, I’ll pay for the boat, you allow me 3 days to test the boat at Havasu with a friend. He says nope, got to take care of the GF

I have a boat I picked up a couple months ago that I will let go at a fair price. Finishing a remodel and I simply have to much in my way.

96' 27ft Fountain Fever low hours on the motor which is a TCM blown 502ci, mild tune setup for pump gas

It needs some vinyl on engine hatch and cockpit seats, gauges and I will be replacing or tinting the windshield darker if kept.

40k the way it sits and if I take it in for it's next service with Teague it will be 45k

I will be on Elsinore with it and another 21ft Rogers flat bottom open bow with a 250 black max this weekend that is also for sell for 9k.
IMG_20210628_093629917.jpg
IMG_20200712_171415620_HDR.jpg

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Good point! 😂

I was just referring to your comment about getting a "season or three" out of it. 😉

Mike takes care of his stuff.

But you're right. Sometimes the fun never ends. 😝
You could have a low hrs engine and throw a rod right on the ramp. It’s rare but I’ve seen it. It’s all part of the fun!

Just tell the wife it’ll be $1,500 when you have windowed your block LOL Fun!

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I have a boat I picked up a couple months ago that I will let go at a fair price. Finishing a remodel and I simply have to much in my way.

96' 27ft Fountain Fever low hours on the motor which is a TCM blown 502ci, mild tune setup for pump gas

It needs some vinyl on engine hatch and cockpit seats, gauges and I will be replacing or tinting the windshield darker if kept.

40k the way it sits and if I take it in for it's next service with Teague it will be 45k

I will be on Elsinore with it and another 21ft Rogers flat bottom open bow with a 250 black max this weekend that is also for sell for 9k.
View attachment 1052587 View attachment 1052588
Is it a blower or a pro charger?

I’m a little leery about forced induction on an older boat. What kind of ECU and who tuned it?

I might take a look at your flatly, cheep way to scratch my itch. I’m in corona.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Still looking for a boat, 502EFI +bravo, 24’-27’ 450 hrs or less, eliminator or better hull. I have lookign to spend $22.5-27.5K.

Mark G

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I made the mistake of buying a used boat a few years ago without a test. Bent propeller shaft and the outdrive was geared wrong. Had to put about $1500 into it, to get things straightened out. Never really ran at full potential. Almost delivered the shaft through his front window but I'm better then that..😏😏

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I think I might have found a boat…. More than I wanted to pay but it checks a lot of boxes. Fingers crossed!

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Sneak preview…. Lake test in about an hour…

Attachments

• FAA8B5A2-1EAE-4A97-842B-3FC21A4CBD1E.jpeg
    FAA8B5A2-1EAE-4A97-842B-3FC21A4CBD1E.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 58

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
So, we ran the boat from Jack smith to pirates cove.. bay… pirates whatever. Noticed the starter had some problems catching and I’m new to boating so in that no wake zone at pirates I was just getting used to switching in and out of gear before I docked the boat when the shift cable snapped. I was just putting around but the shift cable snapped. Lucky my frI end onboard hs been boating since he was in diapers and he got us beached for lunch and back on the trailer no issues.

Anyways, got the boat back and explained that I really wanted the boat and had cash in my hand and I could replace the cable and starter and eat that or split the $1k with the seller but I don’t know if there was a shift fork problem that snapped the cable or if the starter was missing because of a pressure plate/flywheel problem. Because of that I can’t buy the boat. Seller agreed to make the boat right at his expense with my mechanic, DEAL, boat is mine. My buddy took the boat to vegas where it’s getting repaired by my mechanic, seller (and probably 1/2 the people on RD’s) know who my mechanic for decades.

Moral of the story: always water test a boat you are buying. That’s how I started this thread and it seems to have paid off.