WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I thought the "MAS" told my truck how to run?

probablecause

Reaction score
Ok, so I pull the air filter out of my 2005 5.4L truck and rip off the long factory snorkel. The only thing left is the air filter body (with MAS) that connects to my throttle body. I fire the truck up and it immediately runs like shit. Pull the MASS and clean it and still runs like shit. Oh well, higher mileage truck so I put in a new MAS. Still runs like shit. I open the air filter insert where the air filter goes and I immediately here the sucking of air and the truck dies. I put the air filter back in and fire it back up and the truck runs perfect. I thought the MAS accounted for all of the extra air flow and would richen it up if needed. What am I missing here? Brendan

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Most call it a MAF (mass air flow). Everything works together. If you pull the negative and then restarted without the filter it would/should relearn.

What are you trying to accomplish by running it without an air filter?

probablecause

Reaction score
Just farting around with it. BTW, I did disconnect the negative for about 10 minutes (and Positive) after I removed everthything and it ran fine but then started throwing lean codes on both banks about 10 minutes into the drive. I was thinking about installing a cold air filter kit which would obviously allow for more air flow. Just wanted to see what it would do without any restrictions.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Just farting around with it. BTW, I did disconnect the negative for about 10 minutes (and Positive) after I removed everthything and it ran fine but then started throwing lean codes on both banks about 10 minutes into the drive. I was thinking about installing a cold air filter kit which would obviously allow for more air flow. Just wanted to see what it would do without any restrictions.
5.4 3v no gains. Just keep a clean paper filter in. Every other oil change.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Factory intake already draws cold air from the fender [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro