e2163d93-05d7-4cec-b69f-491459a0354d_400.jpg

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
The Home Depot unit is a much better deal.:thumbsup

Reactions: TPC

Deckin Around

Reaction score
solid cubes or hollow cubes?(hole through the middle or 1 side of the ice cube) makes a big difference

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
I have 2 of the undercounter type built-in machines one is Kitchen-Aid (made by Whirlpool and same as Kenmore ) and one made by U-Line (Clear ice maker) both claim to make 50lbs a day ad the U-Line does for sure the Kitchen-Aid.....Not so much.

These can be bought New (Scratch and Dent) for about $1000 and used on CL for less....they both retail for around $1800. They are invaluable in Havasu and we use them non-stop in the summer and even bag up some extra if we know we're gonna have a party or something like that. They are both hooked into an RO system even though they say they don't need to be I figure why not :)

H2_Whoa

Don't Member
Reaction score
I have 2 of the undercounter type built-in machines one is Kitchen-Aid (made by Whirlpool and same as Kenmore ) and one made by U-Line (Clear ice maker) both claim to make 50lbs a day ad the U-Line does for sure the Kitchen-Aid.....Not so much.

These can be bought New (Scratch and Dent) for about $1000 and used on CL for less....they both retail for around $1800. They are invaluable in Havasu and we use them non-stop in the summer and even bag up some extra if we know we're gonna have a party or something like that. They are both hooked into an RO system even though they say they don't need to be I figure why not :)

I like the one I posted for the RV but not sure it would work too well outside in the heat.

Do you think the U-Line would work in the "Havasu Summer Shade"? Would be great for the outdoor bar!

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
I like the one I posted for the RV but not sure it would work too well outside in the heat.

Do you think the U-Line would work in the "Havasu Summer Shade"? Would be great for the outdoor bar!
If it was not in the direct sun it MIGHT work but here's the thing with these machines. They make lots of ice and quickly but there is no mechanism to keep ice frozen after it is made.....these things are basically just insulated coolers with a drain that eventually melt and then make more so if out side in the 105 degree shade it is still going to not keep the ice very long.......probably need to make 2X to keep up if not inside IMO.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
If it was not in the direct sun it MIGHT work but here's the thing with these machines. They make lots of ice and quickly but there is no mechanism to keep ice frozen after it is made.....these things are basically just insulated coolers with a drain that eventually melt and then make more so if out side in the 105 degree shade it is still going to not keep the ice very long.......probably need to make 2X to keep up if not inside IMO.

Right you are. :thumbsup
I've never seen a refrigerated Ice bin even in the best of them, it's constant loss of ice that keeps it full if you use the ice or not.
Keeping the machine in a cool place is essential.

USMC2010

Reaction score
ICEU300-Self-Contained Cube Ice Machine and it can make up to 356 pounds in a day. Most of the week our fridge upstairs handles our ice needs just fine. This time of year I run it a couple hours a week to cycle the water. In the summer I turn it on Thursday night or Friday morning for about 24 hours and it makes more than enough ice for us to boat or play all weekend. It was not working well when I got it so it took going through a few parts but now works like a champ.

H2_Whoa

Don't Member
Reaction score

OK, Thanks Paul! When I looked up the U-Line, it looks like decent wall thickness for insulation, I was hoping it might refrigerate the bin.

I like this one :thumbsup

It is great being self contained. It recycles the melted cubes. Unfortunately, it has no insulation so they melt fast.

One thing I will suggest is to use a surge protector if possible with any refrigerating unit. They are not like old days with mechanical timers. The electronics do not like the surge from motors and relays etc.

H2_Whoa

Don't Member
Reaction score
ICEU300-Self-Contained Cube Ice Machine and it can make up to 356 pounds in a day. Most of the week our fridge upstairs handles our ice needs just fine. This time of year I run it a couple hours a week to cycle the water. In the summer I turn it on Thursday night or Friday morning for about 24 hours and it makes more than enough ice for us to boat or play all weekend. It was not working well when I got it so it took going through a few parts but now works like a champ.

That is a beast. I had a commercial one but not that nice. It was a alright but did not work well with hard water always plugging it up.
I would have had to install RO water the find a way to run a separate water line under the patio and pool decking.

When you say self contained, does that mean the ICEU 300 can be filled and re-use the run off water?

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Wandering through Home Depot late last June, I picked up this Magic Chef Ice Maker for less than $100

HNIM27SV.jpg

The first couple batches I dump back in the water resivor.

I'll be buying another if HD has them again :champagne:

USMC2010

Reaction score
I was just quoting the webpage on specifics, I don't know what they meant by self contained. The storage bin drains into an automatic pump that is tapped into the bar sink drain so no it does not recycle the existing water, it is fresh each fill. We have a whole house double filter system but as you know the water in Havasu is still hard, I have a water softener system in my garage waiting to service and install on the main line in. For many reasons I need to get on that soon.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
We picked one up off cl a couple of years ago, a large under counter one, for $100! It will make 220lbs a day. That sounds like a lot but it goes fast. 2 large coolers will empty the bin but by the time we get back home it's full and has usually shut itself off. That was the best $100 of mine she has spent in a long time!!!!!

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I've never seen a refrigerated Ice bin even in the best of them, it's constant loss of ice that keeps it full if you use the ice or not.
I have a commercial ice maker in my garage in Havasu. I make the ice, bag it and put the ice bags in a coffin type freezer next to it. Stores about 15 small bags of ice. When all used start up the ice machine again and bag some more. :)

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
One word.....Hoshizaki!!! Installed a floor drain for when I redid the garage. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457584696.959948.jpg

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Couple of thoughts on commercial ice makers. You don't want water cooled. Obviously you aren't going to install a cooling tower and it will use a fuck ton of water. The air cooled ice makers are considerably more expensive but unless your making 1000lbs a day air cooled is going to be sufficient. Second they need a drain as clear ice is never frozen in the bin. It melts down constantly but that's how you get clear ice. I do what Bobby does, I have a chest freezer inside the house that I bag ice and fill up. I'll run this for a day. Bag the ice and shut it off.

John

better member
Reaction score
I'm thinking I want to pick up one of those nugget ice machines this summer. But, I think I will wait until they actually come out for sale and not do a pre-order.

sweet tooth

Fresh Meat
Reaction score
One word.....Hoshizaki!!! Installed a floor drain for when I redid the garage. View attachment 471203

He is right. The Hoshi is the best since it uses constantly flowing water over a cold plate and does not freeze the sediment! I actually the the automatic in store bagging program for a huge Ice company and we only use Hoshi. Best ice out there!

USMC2010

Reaction score
He is right. The Hoshi is the best since it uses constantly flowing water over a cold plate and does not freeze the sediment! I actually the the automatic in store bagging program for a huge Ice company and we only use Hoshi. Best ice out there!
Now I am curious about its operation, does not appear to be anything different than mine, something new to read about.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
One word.....Hoshizaki!!! Installed a floor drain for when I redid the garage. View attachment 471203

As good as they get and THE most reliable.
I sold lots of them.
1/2" water line minimum dia supply in and a big, free flowing ice bin drain are essential on this brand.
Run in a cool, well ventilated location, change the water filters often,, good to go for long time.

Finest Kine'.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
As good as they get and THE most reliable.
I sold lots of them.
1/2" water line minimum dia supply in and a big, free flowing ice bin drain are essential on this brand.
Run in a cool, well ventilated location, change the water filters often,, good to go for long time.

Finest Kine'.

And at the river....the best filtration will make them live.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
You will never see refrigerated bins in ice machines cause then you can't scoop out the ice. It will all freeze together. Once it's bagged in a commercial set-up, that's a different story. But lose in a bin, no refrigeration. The ice must constantly be melting to keep them free. Now if you could insulate that bin so it maintains the lowest temp from the ice itself, you will substantial reduce the melt loss and keep the ice loose.