WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

If there's a fire under the hood...

rrrr

Reaction score
...It's a good idea to open it so the fire can be extinguished. While the number of drivers carrying fire extinguishers is impressive, these idiots need some schooling in how to use them.

Spraying the hood isn't gonna put out the fire underneath it. When the hood is finally pried open, all of the extinguishers are empty. :D

They need some masculinity training.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Seriously, common sense is really hard to find anymore. Basic physics can explain the fail here.

Love the one guy with the water trying to help....:p

4Waters

Reaction score
They're sheeple, they saw the first guy do it and just followed.

images (1).jpeg

Runs2rch

Reaction score
If the under hood fire blanket is in place they do work. So many people remove them thinking they are saving weight and reducing temps in their "Race Car" hahaha

sirbob

Reaction score
There must be a law in that country that everybody has to carry a fire extinguishires !

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Well you do need to open the hood to get to the source of the fire but you have to be cautious opening the hood because the sudden inrush of air can rapidly accelerate the burn. A few years back we were camping @ Pismo beach and this guy in 4wd Dodge came bombing by the campsite when his truck stalled then fire started rolling out from the grill and fender wells. I jumped up and grabbed my fire extinguisher and he jumped out of his truck and ran around and flung the hood open. The explosion blew him back about five feet and burned off his eyebrows. I got there and put the fire out but his electric fuel pump was still pumping gas all over the engine. While all this was happening his girlfriend/wife just sat there in passenger seat with her arms folded, clearly annoyed. Now it's her turn to get involved, she steps out of the truck and starts berating this poor guy who is sitting there with his eyebrows smoldering, nearly in shock. She goes goes on and on about how he keeps spending money on this GD truck and what a piece of shit it is. Finally the guy gets up walks over to his truck, lights a match and throws it into the gas soaked engine compartment and once again the truck is ablaze then he looks at the girl and says "there, now you don't have to worry about me spending money on it anymore". My fire extinguisher was out and apparently I was the only one in the camp with one so we just watched it burn to the ground.

Last edited:

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I think I saw Trump in the crowd..... colluding

endobear

Reaction score
Yes. I should have let all my crap burn to the ground. Still don't trust my truck $26k later in under hood repairs.
In my case I was able to snuff the fire out by shooting 2 10# extinguishers behind the fender skirts. From smelling smoke to flames rolling over the windshield to out in less than 7 minutes. Pretty sure in my case if I would have opened the hood and allowed it to get more air it would have burned to the ground.
Should have opened the hood.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I've cut up a few cars to scrap. Those fires are hard to put out once they get going. They also invite helicopters to come check out what's going on. :)

Justfishing

Reaction score
I don't want a car repaired after fire damage. I would get what I want out of the car, move back AND THEN call the fire department.

Hopefully there are lots of flames when fd gets there and it takes a long time to extinguish.

endobear

Reaction score
I don't want a car repaired after fire damage. I would get what I want out of the car, move back AND THEN call the fire department.

Hopefully there are lots of flames when fd gets there and it takes a long time to extinguish.

Yeah. I should have let mine burn.
We were coming back to Denver from Glamis with 2 5 year olds, wife, 2 dogs, 3 quads, rail, atc, cr500, 38' toy hauler, tools, spares, ect..
Happened in the middle of the night about 20 miles before I was going to pull over to sleep for a bit.
Instincts kicked in when I smelled a strange smell and 30 seconds later i had flames coming over the windshield. Locked it up. Grabbed my wife and kids and 2 leashes. Shot the 1st extinguisher that was inside the door of the trailer. Had to run back and dig the second out of the rail.
Took the cops 30 minutes to get there. 45 for the fire department. 4 hrs to get towed off the highway.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Yes. I should have let all my crap burn to the ground. Still don't trust my truck $26k later in under hood repairs.
In my case I was able to snuff the fire out by shooting 2 10# extinguishers behind the fender skirts. From smelling smoke to flames rolling over the windshield to out in less than 7 minutes. Pretty sure in my case if I would have opened the hood and allowed it to get more air it would have burned to the ground.
Should have opened the hood.
In other words...more than market value or replacement value.
I bet re-upping your insurance was fun!