If You Are Going To Use Quartz In a Remodel or New Build

530RL

Reaction score

Rbcconst

Reaction score

NicPaus

Reaction score
Really excellent work.

Wonder how long white kitchens will stay in style. Between the dogs and party's, we'd kill that perfect look in a year. :) :) :)
This is first where designer chose 2 different back splashes. I decided with home owners the white stone subway would be best on window side. When you enter your eyes focus on the new 8' window that looks directly at Catalina. The splash behind Stove would keep you from focusing on window if on other side. Was skeptical on 2 different splashes at first but it works. The natural stone splash behind oven is a little busy but they love it. Same stone as subway plus a accent stone
20190115_143939.jpg

Rbcconst

Reaction score
This is first where designer chose 2 different back splashes. I decided with home owners the white stone subway would be best on window side. When you enter your eyes focus on the new 8' window that looks directly at Catalina. The splash behind Stove would keep you from focusing on window if on other side. Was skeptical on 2 different splashes at first but it works. The natural stone splash behind oven is a little busy but they love it. Same stone as subway plus a accent stone View attachment 721599 .

What cabinets are those? Do you do all your own cabinet installs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NicPaus

Reaction score
What cabinets are those? Do you do all your own cabinet installs?

This was a custom cabinet build subbed out. I do all the prefab installs which is majority of kitchens I do. Mainly use AKB Koville out of Anaheim. These Guys are good to work with along with the stone fabricators. I did the rest.

82daytona

Reaction score

Rbcconst

Reaction score
This was a custom cabinet build subbed out. I do all the prefab installs which is majority of kitchens I do. Mainly use AKB Koville out of Anaheim. These Guys are good to work with along with the stone fabricators. I did the rest.
Looks like a great project, I always like it when the customer is willing to spend a little more money to have nice materials. If you ever need to sub out installs we would help out. We can also do custom frame-less cabinets as long as they don't have wood doors, we can usually have them installed within 3-4 weeks from approval.

MrsVP

Reaction score
Really excellent work.

Wonder how long white kitchens will stay in style. Between the dogs and party's, we'd kill that perfect look in a year. :) :) :)
White and grey aren't going anywhere for a while. All of our lines just released their new colors for 2019, and all released new white tone paints, and grey stains. We also just updated the showroom and did a two-tone grey stain (base) and white (uppers and talls), with a natural quartzite countertop, and black and white concrete splash. it's really cool, and we've sold a couple exactly the same.

White is timeless :D

MrsVP

Reaction score
This is first where designer chose 2 different back splashes. I decided with home owners the white stone subway would be best on window side. When you enter your eyes focus on the new 8' window that looks directly at Catalina. The splash behind Stove would keep you from focusing on window if on other side. Was skeptical on 2 different splashes at first but it works. The natural stone splash behind oven is a little busy but they love it. Same stone as subway plus a accent stone View attachment 721599 .
That door is super pretty.

I agree about the splash too, it works!

Rbcconst

Reaction score
White and grey aren't going anywhere for a while. All of our lines just released their new colors for 2019, and all released new white tone paints, and grey stains. We also just updated the showroom and did a two-tone grey stain (base) and white (uppers and talls), with a natural quartzite countertop, and black and white concrete splash. it's really cool, and we've sold a couple exactly the same.

White is timeless :D

Do you guys do all of your own installs or sub it out?

Rbcconst

Reaction score
just curious...what else would custom cabinet doors be made from?

Thermofoil, acrylic, melamine, textured melamine.

There are quite a few. There laid up on an HDF.

DaBank

Reaction score
How is the quailty of AKB Koville? Do they stock most cabinets in stock? So you assemble on them onsite?

NicPaus

Reaction score
How is the quailty of AKB Koville? Do they stock most cabinets in stock? So you assemble on them onsite?
I have them in my house and like the quality compared to others I have used. Have put them in million dollar homes with no complaints.

They have everything in stock for same day pick up.

I usually assemble off site and bring assembled.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I have them in my house and like the quality compared to others I have used. Have put them in million dollar homes with no complaints.

Are they like J&K cabinets? Looks like those have a 1 year warranty. J&K has none.

MrsVP

Reaction score

We used AKB in a house in Redlands--not a bad cabinet by any means. The problem we had with AKB, and PCTC, is that it was one of those, this door style and finish only, and some customers flat couldn't wrap their heads around it. We did a PCTC kitchen (and bathrooms) for my MIL, about 5 years ago, and it still looks great!

We have picked up a few lines over the years, and discovered that in the long run, the line is less expensive than having to pick up, assemble, deliver, and install.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
We used AKB in a house in Redlands--not a bad cabinet by any means. The problem we had with AKB, and PCTC, is that it was one of those, this door style and finish only, and some customers flat couldn't wrap their heads around it. We did a PCTC kitchen (and bathrooms) for my MIL, about 5 years ago, and it still looks great!

We have picked up a few lines over the years, and discovered that in the long run, the line is less expensive than having to pick up, assemble, deliver, and install.

Very true statement. We have found the same. A few of those don’t have good warranties if any. And nobody likes the this door in this color unless there doing a flip.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Are they like J&K cabinets? Looks like those have a 1 year warranty. J&K has none.

They are a little more money but nicer quality for sure. If a door separated or hardware issue they would have no problem giving me a new one even if it's been a few years. 2 Designers there take good care of me. They are packaged better also. But take up more shipping space than most flat boxes as drawers are preassembled with dove tail construction on drawers.

DaBank

Reaction score

I usually assemble off site .

How much do you think this kicthen would cost? The uppers are 3 cabinets on one side and 2 on the other side. The lowers are just one one each side.
I also have two bath vanities that 30in each with double doors. Thank you

Attachments

• 20190117_071925.jpg
    20190117_071925.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 20181211_182741.jpg
    20181211_182741.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 163
  • 20181211_182723.jpg
    20181211_182723.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 20181211_102903.jpg
    20181211_102903.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 150

NicPaus

Reaction score
Price went up again. Just paid $468 plus tax on 1 2x9 prefab. Was $240 last year $370 2 months ago. Said it will go up again soon. Cabinets going up again next month also.

MrsVP

Reaction score
Price went up again. Just paid $468 plus tax on 1 2x9 prefab. Was $240 last year $370 2 months ago. Said it will go up again soon. Cabinets going up again next month also.
We have switched everything to slab because of this. Super annoying!

Justfishing

Reaction score
Supply and demand surely have an impact on prices. However, the impact of Tariffs are generally a separate driver.

For example, assume market demand is high with unit prices capturing the higher demand. Then a new 25% tariff is imposed on imports (and assume the importers collectively account for significant market share). Demand would quickly transition to lower pricing domestic suppliers. Yes the demand would rise for domestic manufacturers, but only due to the impact of the tariff. (this scenario is consistent with what has recently occurred).

Who wins? The government as they get to collect the tariffs. The consumer absorbs the impact of the higher prices, while paying higher sales taxes on said purchase (and the government is likely to receive higher income taxes from the supplier due to rising profits).

Yeah tariffs! lol

What happens when the supplying country is dumping goods, has a subsidized market, etc. Are we supposed to let them trade unfairly.

We take to much of a short term appraich and they take the long view.

We need to take a long term approach and create a level playing field . We have continually been afraid to play the long game because someone is bitching that they want it cheaper no matter what.

Some of the stuff I have read is that China is on the ropes economically. This could be a real test to the communist government and may lead to democratic reforms as the Chinese people rebel against government policies. Wouldnt that be something.

530RL

Reaction score
Tariffs are currently running from 240 to over 300 percent on Quartz and they are here to stay for five years.

Petition now filed on Ceramic tile asking for identical tariff percentages.

If you are going to build or remodel, you should probably consider picking out and stocking over the next several months any ceramic tile you wish to use as prices will increase to the consumer accordingly.

Just a heads up for those trying to build within a budget, not a political discussion.

https://www.hugheshubbard.com/news/...petitions-on-ceramic-tile-products-from-china

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
Picked our granite and backsplash on Saturday...don't know what it cost yet...lol

NicPaus

Reaction score
Picked our granite and backsplash on Saturday...don't know what it cost yet...lol

Prefab Chinese quartz was $470 the granite was $330 on my last order. Same quartz year before $240. Granite is now cheaper than the fake stuff.

MrsVP

Reaction score
Prefab Chinese quartz was $470 the granite was $330 on my last order. Same quartz year before $240. Granite is now cheaper than the fake stuff.
We have switched to slab 100% because of the cost savings.

530RL

Reaction score
We have switched to slab 100% because of the cost savings.

Prior to these tariffs, regardless of where the slab material was made, the pre-fab work was typically done in China. For example in our case, our Solid Surface materials were made in S. Korea but shipped to China for fabrication. Quartz slabs were made in China and pre-fab work done in China.

Now, regardless of where the Quartz was made, once it goes to China for any type of value add such as pre-fab, it is subject to the high tariffs. So pre-fab Quartz doesn't make economic sense as Nic points out.

Last edited:

MrsVP

Reaction score
Prior to these tariffs, regardless of where the slab material was made, the pre-fab work was typically done in China. For example in our case, our Solid Surface materials were made in S. Korea but shipped to China for fabrication. Quartz slabs were made in China and pre-fab work done in China.

Now, regardless of where the Quartz was made, once it goes to China for any type of value add such as pre-fab, it is subject to the high tariffs. So pre-fab Quartz doesn't make economic sense as Nic points out.
Absolutely. Even with higher labor costs on the back end for utilizing slabs, it is still more cost-effective than pre-fab. In a way, I'm thankful for it, because it is stopping anyone with a skill saw and a garden hose from fabbing right in the customers' driveway, on the flip side, my remnant pile is going to be bigger.

TCHB

Reaction score
I just bought some metal and price was crazy. The guys at the counter told me it is because of the tariffs on metal. BS it just cost me more cash and less golf and gas money.

530RL

Reaction score
I hope they pass the same for cabinets. The Chinese imports are cheap but also shit!

Ask and you shall receive.... :)

https://www.kitchenbathdesign.com/u-s-cabinet-firms-applaud-ruling-in-landmark-china-trade-case/

Expect cabinet prices to go up across the board.

We will certainly be raising prices on our US made product as the duty will take significant supply out of the market raising demand and pricing.

Just a heads up.

boatpi

Reaction score
501BD8DA-8B06-48DC-BE9C-9921AEC9A60F.jpeg
I have had most products over the years. I do like that fact that anything can be easily be wiped up on my quartz veined kitchen counter tops. Granite hates red wine spills!

Rbcconst

Reaction score

BajaMike

Reaction score
Quartz is the new big thing in kitchens and bathrooms....excuse my ignorance....is it a natural stone or something manufactured? Does it come in slabs like granite? I like the look of most I have seen, looks better than granite.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Quartz is the new big thing in kitchens and bathrooms....excuse my ignorance....is it a natural stone or something manufactured? Does it come in slabs like granite? I like the look of most I have seen, looks better than granite.
Manufactured in China. Comes in slabs.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
It's a resin base with bits of stone in it. It's more acid resistant then granite, but can not handle heat like granite. It really comes down to which you like more.

2Driver

Reaction score
So in simple English that means US consumers pay more for the same product, billionaire business owners of Cambria, the Davis family, get bigger jets. :) :)

And that is the capitalist driving force behind Americas greatness. Everyone strives to achieve similar to the Davis and Cambria's

boatpi

Reaction score
Some sort of gray tile I selected, it’s ok, not over the top but it hides dust well.

I have tile up to 12’ ceiling in sink side in background, glass tile too around windows. That is cool, led lights under countertop. Works well at night for having guests and drinks, not too bright.

530RL

Reaction score
And that is the capitalist driving force behind Americas greatness. Everyone strives to achieve similar to the Davis and Cambria's

I’m not convinced that petitioning the government to protect your business is consistent with my definition of capitalism.

But if American consumers want protectionist policies that raise costs, I will simply put that extra cost the consumer has to pay into my pocket.