WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

If you could do it all over again????

MCnParker

Reaction score
With all this Covid BS and the state of our nation I continue to question why I am doing what I am doing for a career, and is this going to be the time that I need to make a change. I know most of the people I have asked, give me a blank stare and then say they have to think about it. I figured that there is a pretty diverse group of folks on this forum and the answers might spark something for not only myself but others that might be in the same place as I am.

So here it is, if you could go back and do it all over from a career perspective, would you be doing what you do now, or would have done something different? Or maybe you did that at some point, what were the things that you did to become successful and hopefully happier in your day to day grind.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Without skipping a beat - No!

Of course that also means I am currently looking for other employment. Working on my resume today actually.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
If I had to go back and make changes I would have either taken over my grandfather's ranch or went to law school like I originally planned. I was too busy surfing and chasing girls to do either.

Would I actually go back and change my life...not really. Too much to be thankful for now, especially MaK. Wouldn't trade having her for anything in the world.

C-2

Reaction score
I always thought it was important to control my own destiny, which meant working for myself. Doing so comes with risk, and sometimes, great reward. But not always.

I never wanted to work for somebody else, or a company, because I was worried if I landed a great gig, that it would somehow be yanked out from under me, or that I was subject to the whim of another person, or company.

Reflecting back...

BULLSHIT!

I'm much happier working as a pee-on worker bee for the State. They tell me what to do, and I do it. (to the best of my ability, irrespective of who I work for).

Easy.

Much happier now, and yes, I wish I had signed up for the same 30-years ago.

I made the change at age 48. I retuned to face-to-face college classes at night, and I had already worked for myself/in my profession for 30-years. It's never too late.

Good luck in whatever you decide :)

Last edited:

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I might have done Finance/M&A/CFA vs. Accounting/Public/CPA for an easier path to my end game, but I can't complain about where I am at this stage in life. If I could go back, I wouldn't risk a change.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I originally wanted to be a police officer and went through the process with Glendale PD. I didnt make it past the running portion of the physical tests due to bad shin splints. I am happy with my career in aerospace and believe I would not have changed anything if had to do it over again.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Im not too sure. I have wondered what would have happened if I actually followed through on my application to the Air Force academy. Had the numbers and the nomination to get in... just backed out.

94essex

Reaction score
Different. I work in Healthcare. Would have gone out on my own which is still kinda the plan. We have rentals and such which will help a transition. I have a good gig but with mandates looming I probably won't. If it's not this one something else. We will see what happens. Luckily Arizona and the hospital haven't caved yet but I imagine it's coming

Nordie

Reaction score
I would only change one thing, I would have bought 16.5 speed car spots and sold them. I could own a yacht by now.

All kidding aside, I really haven't been impacted horribly by this whatever you want to call it. My real plans are to finish my current project and move on with my life, personally I want to leave Vegas but I need to get my wife on board.

PlanB

Reaction score
I might have skipped the military (I would be a lot healthier if I did) and I might have been a FF instead of a LEO. I also would never have owned my last business. Complete nightmare...

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Seeing as I was able to retire at 56, I wouldn't change careers. I would have put more money away in deferred comp and purchased a home in Havasu. The two after retirement mini careers fell through. But I do t think we will ever be homeless or starve. Life is good.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I shouldn't have wasted so much time in community college "trying to decide what to be" when I grew up.
If I had started teaching sooner I would have had my kids sooner and could have kept up with them physically better as they were growing up. I would also have retired at 55 instead of 61 .
But the career choice worked out to be a true blessing for 30 yrs now.

farmo83

Reaction score
Different

Would have gone into engineering instead of finance. Also working in the energy industry has been good to me, however I don't like the long term career chances in the next 20-30 years. I hope I can finish my career but I def will not be encouraging my kids to work in Oil and Gas.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I've had it really good so I can't complain at all but if I was to do it all over again I would have gone into the trades either electrician or HVAC and got experience under my belt and then started my own business. Recession proof and you can live anywhere and could probably do it some degree in retirement until you are just too old.

Or I want to be the guy that makes road cones. I'm amazed at how many road cones there are. lol..... True statement though.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I never had a path, nor a career. In a messed up way, kind of like a blue collar hippy I guess. I don't think I'd change much about how I got here. I think I would have spent more time with my parents near the end, and less time chasing paper. In the end, I didn't become wealthy, and will never have them back.
I guess I would change my priorities, but not how I chose to make a living. Filthy or greasy, or in an office, it's always been about what was done with the money made, not how it was made.

DWC

Reaction score
Would have left my last employer and came to this one earlier. 😳. Wish i would have finished my degree. It would have helped in a couple stretches of my career.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Same path… just a lot more aggressive before responsibilities kicked in.

For myself it would be this..

I could write a book on it, and who knows someday maybe I will.. though I doubt anyone would read it. Lol

I have never really been motivated by money so it wasn’t really my top priority.

I could have made some changes early on that would have had dramatic outcomes later. I wouldn’t change the path.. but I’d expect I’d have a lot of pretty good writers and photographers working for me by now. ;). Let alone more RE agents etc.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Almost everyone has regrets. To reach the sum total of who I am currently by any other means would be impossible, since those exact experiences formed the current "Me".

I regret not applying good financial advice from my Father earlier in my life, if I could change that one thing and keep the same "Me" then sure.

If we are talking total redo with same consciousness then fuck yes, gimme all the apple/intel/amazon/bitcoin love.

When people say money can't buy you happiness, give that wealth to me and I would say "Hold my beer!"...😈😝

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
I like being a bean counter. It's not for everyone and there's less and less of us each year because it's not a glamourous career but the demand is crazy and the fees go up every year. I enjoy what I do which is keep as much money in my clients pockets as possible, without them or me going to jail. 😆

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Almost everyone has regrets. To reach the sum total of who I am currently by any other means would be impossible, since those exact experiences formed the current "Me".

I regret not applying good financial advice from my Father earlier in my life, if I could change that one thing and keep the same "Me" then sure.

If we are talking total redo with same consciousness then fuck yes, gimme all the apple/intel/amazon/bitcoin love.

When people say money can't buy you happiness, give that wealth to me and I would say "Hold my beer!"...😈😝

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I originally wanted to either go into architecture or teaching. Long story but I ended up working in my Dads Machine Shop right outta high school and became a father at 20 so I was kinda locked into that career for a while until I could get my act together and started doing technical writing in the aerospace industry. It’s been good to me and financially rewarding so no complaints. If I had to do it all over again I would probably avoided chasing skirts so much and put more attention into my schooling at a younger age. (It’s not easy going to school and work full time and being a dad!!). After designing my own house recently it really made me second guess my career choice but se le vie. You only live once, so you better enjoy the heck out of it. Do what makes YOU happy!!!

500bbc

Reaction score
With all this Covid BS and the state of our nation I continue to question why I am doing what I am doing for a career, and is this going to be the time that I need to make a change. I know most of the people I have asked, give me a blank stare and then say they have to think about it. I figured that there is a pretty diverse group of folks on this forum and the answers might spark something for not only myself but others that might be in the same place as I am.

So here it is, if you could go back and do it all over from a career perspective, would you be doing what you do now, or would have done something different? Or maybe you did that at some point, what were the things that you did to become successful and hopefully happier in your day to day grind.
Different?
Seek more advice from those in the know.

DWC

Reaction score
I would have bought way more properties back when they were more affordable. I should have really stretched and not been as conservative.
Probably the best one I’ve seen yet. The first two places we bought i didn’t want to be house poor. Turned out to be a big mistake. If we stretched it a bit it would have paid off big.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I would have bought way more properties back when they were more affordable. I should have really stretched and not been as conservative.
Right. If I knew $5,000 Havasu lots in the late 80’s would now be $150,000 today I probably would have bought 25 instead of buying a $125K starter home in SoCal, lol. It definitely hasn’t appreciated 3000%. I would be retired today 🤦‍♂️

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
i would of listened to other people than just the ones i did and asked more questions.
Isn't that the TRUTH!!! If I would have listened to my Dad and Grand dad I would have owned about 50 to 60 lots in Big Bear and had NO cares in the world. I had an Uncle that bought many up there and just sat on them until the time was right to sell.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I use to work for my pops when I was 11-14, Pops side gig was working for a guy doing remodels on pads in Hermosa and Manhattan beach, he lived in them for 2 years while fixing them up would sale or rent them. He had about 10 guys from Mexico that did all his work and got to live for free. If I would of understood how that worked and did it myself, I would have FU money and my own tv show called flip or flop. Probably would of never got married also, not a career choice but something that affects the career you stay with.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
As far as career… there have been a few times in my life that I wish I had done things a little different, but I recently interviewed for and landed a position that is a career extender, post career Avenue door opener, and all around awesome position. I literally got my dream job, so no, I wouldn’t change a single thing.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I use to work for my pops when I was 11-14, Pops side gig was working for a guy doing remodels on pads in Hermosa and Manhattan beach, he lived in them for 2 years while fixing them up would sale or rent them. He had about 10 guys from Mexico that did all his work and got to live for free. If I would of understood how that worked and did it myself, I would have FU money and my own tv show called flip or flop. Probably would of never got married also, not a career choice but something that affects the career you stay with.
There was a crackhead named “Fleck” who used to do that in Manhattan and hermosa….worked for a guy named Steve…can’t remember Steve’s last name.

I “rented” a unit in a triplex on Monterey from him my senior year in HS for a few months. Lol

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The money and jobs were in So Cali.
Lots of other places I would have liked but this is where it paid best.

I'd still like to open up a small tavern with simple but good bar food and excellent beers.
In todays world only the chains survive in that business.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I honestly don’t entertain regrets much.
The are very fleeting, more of a recognition of hindsight more than regret.
My life has been a wild ride, I wouldn’t change anything about it just for more comfort now at 60.
I’ve been ghetto rich, but been broke far more often, have kids and grandkids that don’t actively hate me, some even like me. Lol
I’ve loved, been loved, lost everything, more than once, and am still standing. (Well, thanks to modern surgery techniques!)
The thing is that we are deposited exactly where we are. No matter what path or career or station you are in it is human nature to indulge in “Weltschmerz” from time to time.
I have a lifelong friend who lives every second saying “man we fucked up! Why didn’t we do this or do that?” Its tedious being around him and I tell him point blank to shut up and go forward.
Debbie used to ask me sometimes “Why do you always have to be right?”
I’d tell her “because I can not afford to be wrong.” Meaning any second guessing is detrimental to everyone I’m responsible for.

While it’s OK to think about how life could be different, NEVER wish you had lived it different.
That shit’ll kill you.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I think we can all say invest in Bitcoin lol but thats not the question. Take being clairvoyant about the future out of it and I think I stay on the same path.

I'm not rich but I don't want for much. I'm well respected in my company and in my field. Honestly not doing to bad for barely graduating HS and only taking a couple college classes.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I think we can all say invest in Bitcoin lol but thats not the question. Take being clairvoyant about the future out of it and I think I stay on the same path.

I'm not rich but I don't want for much. I'm well respected in my company and in my field. Honestly not doing to bad for barely graduating HS and only taking a couple college classes.
It’s not too late.
I’ve only been in a few months and am well over 25% ROI.

I take every nerds advice with a grain of salt, but I do speculate that getting into Shiba before RH brokers it is a good move. Even though many call it a “shit coin”. I’m up 276% right now on my SHIB.
I have like 5 different funds, some of my friends who are really into it are peeling $2K a week and more off the top.
Makes my 401 look positively stagnant.

The actual price is of little concern, it’s the % that matters.
FC849B39-1BEA-43D3-8AC9-974751A520FD.jpeg