WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

If you could do it all over again????

Backlash

Reaction score
I love what I do and don't complain about it often. Like what has already been stated, I wished I would have tried harder in school, and not simply coasted through my years in formal education. I was too focused on the scattered ass and couldn't see the long-term benefits of good grades. That is something I would absolutely redo.

I often wish I would have tried to take over a family business along with my cousin. We had a glimmer of an opportunity when we were both younger, but I don't know if we would have been mature enough to successfully manage it to my Grandfather's liking. Knowing him and myself, there is a strong possibility we would have screwed it all up. 😁

I would have lived in South Florida, and could have built a place of my own years ago. But if that were the case, I would have never met my first wife and had my two boys. She can drop dead today, and I wouldn't blink an eye, but I would miss not having these two boys as my sons. Her, I could give two shits about. I've happily moved on and upgraded SIGNIFICANTLY! 😁

So in the end, I really can't and shouldn't complain. I have a great career, an amazing wife, some wonderful kids, and the opportunity to retire in less than 10 years with an "OK" retirement. Not too shabby! 😉

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I wish I would have gotten into my trade as a lineman sooner. Traveling the country as a Wildland fire fighter I got to see a lot of extremely rare places of our awesome nation and I was also blessed to have worked with 9 men for 3 years who are now part of the group that is known as the Yarnell 19. Money can't buy those memories I shared with them fellas. I also met my amazing wife as a hotshot so.... going back wouldn't be a plus for me.

DC-88

Reaction score
I would've had more kids. Adding to the great ones we already had as a young family at the time seemed like it would be really tough financially dealing with more daycare, more 2 year old birthdays where you all end up with stomach flu 48 hrs later etc, but in hindsight that's my only real regret.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Yes, a few. Early on I was a scientist/consultant and the money was good but I was missing a lot of time with my wife and newborn. The hours were insane. 70 hours a week was normal.

I switched to selling heavy equipment and now sell the biggest shit made. I wouldn't want to do anything else. The company is awesome and the equipment is highly desirable. The trade off years ago was making less money and struggling a bit but I never missed events the kids were in and coached them both. They will look back and say "Dad didn't miss a game" and that's what I was after

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I would have given Way more though to the future.

I was too busy living in the moment as a young man! Partying at the river every weekend all summer. Snow skiing every weekend all winter. I've had more fun than I can remember, but other than the memories, what good does that do me now?

If I had thought and planed for the future, I would have retired a LONG time ago. I'd be sitting on enough capital to do whatever I did back then, now.

Flip side of that? Who knows how long you'll live when you're a young man! Will there even be a future?? Will you still have your health??

I guess the do over goal would be to do both. Live in the moment, but investing in the future as well.

If I could start over with what I know now? Pretty sure that's Everyone's dream. 😉

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I would have given Way more though to the future.

I was too busy living in the moment as a young man! Partying at the river every weekend all summer. Snow skiing every weekend all winter. I've had more fun than I can remember, but other than the memories, what good does that do me now?

If I had thought and planed for the future, I would have retired a LONG time ago. I'd be sitting on enough capital to do whatever I did back then, now.

Flip side of that? Who knows how long you'll live when you're a young man! Will there even be a future?? Will you still have your health??

I guess the do over goal would be to do both. Live in the moment, but investing in the future as well.

If I could start over with what I know now? Pretty sure that's Everyone's dream. 😉

Now I feel like almost the exact opposite. Even from back in HS and on, I feel like I spent way too much time being responsible. I let a lot of my best years fly by and feel like a didn't really appreciate them and take the time to really and truly experience it. My car wreck was a wake up call and fortunately came early enough for me to make a change. Im enjoying life a lot more for today than I was 2 years ago.

Would I go back and change anything I did or choices I made? I don't think so. Would I adjust my outlook back then to take life a little bit less seriously and enjoy the ride a little bit more rather than constantly thinking about the destination? Maybe.

Overall, I'm pretty happy where I am right now, today. (going through piles of receipts for my taxes, ok maybe not that part) I still want for some, but not for much. However, its that little bit of want that keeps me consistently driven.

boatnam2

Reaction score
There was a crackhead named “Fleck” who used to do that in Manhattan and hermosa….worked for a guy named Steve…can’t remember Steve’s last name.

I “rented” a unit in a triplex on Monterey from him my senior year in HS for a few months. Lol
This guys name was Joe Bertran, fun fact...Only guy i ever meet that while sitting in a golf cart his balls would hang out and touch the floor, shocking to see at 11 lol. 30 years later while playing golf one day, we were joking about sagging balls and a guy that could hear us said we had a guy at our country club that did the exact same thing, his name was joe Bertran..small world.

Reactions: C-2

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
It’s not too late.
I’ve only been in a few months and am well over 25% ROI.

I take every nerds advice with a grain of salt, but I do speculate that getting into Shiba before RH brokers it is a good move. Even though many call it a “shit coin”. I’m up 276% right now on my SHIB.
I have like 5 different funds, some of my friends who are really into it are peeling $2K a week and more off the top.
Makes my 401 look positively stagnant.

The actual price is of little concern, it’s the % that matters.
View attachment 1058487
Agreed. I did jump into Shib a long tome ago Im up over 300% right now. Not huge money but still

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Agreed. I did jump into Shib a long tome ago Im up over 300% right now. Not huge money but still
Awesome!
Rumor is a coin burn is happening before Jan 1st, basically large chunks being “franchised” off for sub categories, resulting in a dramatic spike of original share value, much more insane than the past 2 weeks. They’re saying at least 1-2 more zeros eaten by then.
I’ve probably got that wrong, it’s hard for me to understand a lot of the stuff they say on the videos and analysis.
But I do know this. I have a recent 401 started just 9 months ago. It’s got maybe $9K in it.
Last quarter it paid less than $50 dividend.
My crypto does that in the time it took to type this.
Yes, it’s volatile, and I like it like that.
As soon as I get more comfortable with it I’m pulling that 401 shit and going all in.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
I would definitely be less self absorbed and spend a ton more time with my Mother, Brother, Grand Parents and other family members who are now all gone. From about 15 to 40 years old it was all about me and what I want. Now in my 60s, I look back and have some regrets.

I’ve done okay but would trade it away in a heart beat for more time with the people I loved..

HBCraig

Reaction score
Awesome!
Rumor is a coin burn is happening before Jan 1st, basically large chunks being “franchised” off for sub categories, resulting in a dramatic spike of original share value, much more insane than the past 2 weeks. They’re saying at least 1-2 more zeros eaten by then.
I’ve probably got that wrong, it’s hard for me to understand a lot of the stuff they say on the videos and analysis.
But I do know this. I have a recent 401 started just 9 months ago. It’s got maybe $9K in it.
As soon as I get more comfortable with it I’m pulling that 401 shit and going all in.
I wish I was more educate on virtual coin stuff. That and more ballsy.

Joker

Reaction score
I wish i would have joined law enforcement in the late 90s. Made enough money from the earthquake to cover the wage decrease. Stopped by the sheriffs booth at the OC Fair but never acted on it. Things would have been tight compared to what we make now but I would have been retired with full pension.

MCnParker

Reaction score
Based on all the comments here, some serious, some not so much, leads me to my next question. I am in the IT industry and don't know that I will change anytime soon, however I have been thinking long and hard about what industries would benefit my children the most long term.

If you were to look at the trades that are out there, and the people on here that are in those industries, where would you look to start up your own company? Which trades do you think stand the tests of time the best? My oldest son is a senior in the HS and he has mentioned more than once wanting to go this route. I am trying figure out how to get him into the best place possible long term.

just_floatin

Reaction score
Awesome!
Informed my financial advisor this week that if the bank is going to report my 600 dollar expenditures, I will transfer my money to TD Amerirtrade and close my account. I will manage my own money and avoid this BS goberment power grab. I plan to invest in more crypto currency once I understand how the goberment intends to track spending.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Based on all the comments here, some serious, some not so much, leads me to my next question. I am in the IT industry and don't know that I will change anytime soon, however I have been thinking long and hard about what industries would benefit my children the most long term.

If you were to look at the trades that are out there, and the people on here that are in those industries, where would you look to start up your own company? Which trades do you think stand the tests of time the best? My oldest son is a senior in the HS and he has mentioned more than once wanting to go this route. I am trying figure out how to get him into the best place possible long term.

Stuff always breaks. People will always need people to fix it. And every year there are fewer and fewer people stepping into these trades to replace the ones stepping out. Personally speaking, the demand for my time has increased every year since I've started.

My personal opinion is if he is going the route of the trades, find something he likes and enjoys but get into a niche part of whatever that industry is. Its harder initially to get a leg into it but once he does there is limited competition to hold you down and the ease of growth and room to grow is wide open. Your customers tend to be more loyal to you as well.

Outside of my personal experience, I expect that a trade that has anything to do with power generation/transmission is going to have a steady and increasing demand going into the future. I know we have a couple linemen on the forum who could probably shed some more light in that arena @highvoltagehands

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I wish I was more educate on virtual coin stuff. That and more ballsy.
Same.
I dont have a lot of cushion to risk...which ironically is why I have to take a risk at my age.
I have 2-5 years till SS if it even still exists then.

A working wage till SS and what I have saved isn’t going to get it done if I live too long! Lol
I don’t know what will be “enough” but it doesn’t feel like I’m there at all.
So the “ballsy” part is what I’m struggling with as well!
I’m watching it close, have my alarms all set, and have conditioned myself to pull the trigger when I see a trend.

My buddy started this year. He accidentally bought into a coin trying to get to another coin.
$100 into Bogged finance
He couldn’t figure out how to correct his mistake so he just left it alone. It dwindled to about $25 over a couple weeks.

Then he woke up to this...
0F890A50-5E84-4CB4-884E-E6473BDD8E16.png
it

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Time to cash out
He pulled most of it, once he figured out how to do it! Lol
He didn’t know how to sell it and collect. He had to drive to Denver from Utah, where we have a mutual friend who is a salaried tech guy working strictly with stock purchase algorithms and shit that we don’t know how to do!
He walked him through it and he pulled several hundred K out.
He called me that morning just freaking out. Couldn’t believe it was real until the cash landed in his bank 2-3 days later.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score

I’ve been in the construction industry for 40+ years. Started out laboring (like most) and ended up GC-ing, and then managing for others. The last 25 years or so on medium to larger ($25m to $180m) projects and some big public programs. I’ve often thought about which trade would of worked out best for me (had I gone that route) and have come to the conclusion that it is electrical. I see it as more brain use (and less brawn) that most.

Ive seen a lot of tradesmen go into inspection as they get older because of the physical demand associated with their trade. Carpentry/framing and even plumbing come to mind.

A close 2nd is heavy equipment operations, especially cranes. Something about using a machine’s power is appealing plus, it pays well.

TCHB

Reaction score
I would Have got my masters degree earlier and set my goals on a executive position earlier in my career.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I don't mind what i do and appreciate the freedom and stability.

It's not glamourous or exciting but it pays the bills and has treated my family well.

With that said i 100% wish i would have put more focus on education when i was younger. My family are hard workers and have succeeded were just not college educated per say so the backbone just wasn't there. I'm hoping to change that with my son but im pretty sure he would rather be outside digging ditches...haha

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I absolutely would change a bunch of things if I could do it all over again. First, I would've have served in the military out of high school. I wanted to be a helicopter pilot when I was growing up and unfortunately didn't act on it. I wouldn't have waisted a shit ton of money partying with my friends in my twenties in Havasu and Vegas! I would've skipped my law enforcement career, your better off as a firefighter or union lineman. The other thing I wish I did was buy up more property and homes. It's nice having money show up in your mail box every month from rental income.

badgas

Reaction score
No regrets on the path. I just wish I would have known about budgeting, investing and having plan for finances in my 30's rather that starting to pay real attention at 40. A LOT of income just blew away into the wind in that decade from not having a plan.

Note to young people, Have a plan !

c_land

Reaction score
I am only 30, so there is still plenty of time for me to screw up.

I think first I would have chosen a school with a wider range of degree options. To do it again, I would go to CalyPoly SLO and major in Agricultural Engineering.

In my current path, I should have stayed an extra year at the school I chose and knocked out an MBA.

Then I would have focused on a professional license sooner. I am in the middle of my Professional Surveyor's license now. If i would have focused a couple years ago I could be way further down the road in the process.

PlanB

Reaction score
I absolutely would change a bunch of things if I could do it all over again. First, I would've have served in the military out of high school. I wanted to be a helicopter pilot when I was growing up and unfortunately didn't act on it. I wouldn't have waisted a shit ton of money partying with my friends in my twenties in Havasu and Vegas! I would've skipped my law enforcement career, your better off as a firefighter or union lineman. The other thing I wish I did was buy up more property and homes. It's nice having money show up in your mail box every month from rental income.

I went into the military and also got my civilian commercial helicopter license and never really used it, at least not as a job. I went into LE and my goal was always to eventually fly for my agency and it just never happened. I absolutely agree on the FF comment, especially in today's climate...

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
There are few things that I might change in how I handled life but most of it I would do again. So far as a career choice, I have no regrets.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I should have listened to my uncles best friend and joined the RCMP at 19. At the time you could retire with a full pension after 15 years. RCMP pensions are tax free. Could get another police officer job and earn another government pension. Or get a regular job, but with making $80k per year tax free on the side.

baja-chris

Reaction score
I was fortunate to be able to find employment in something I was good at and liked doing and it served me well so I would not do anything different in that regard. However I also pissed away more than most people ever make on stupid shit like desert racing and buying the latest shinny objects (stupid fast cars, audio gear, blah blah) so would do some of that differently or at least more cost effectively. Anyway had a hell of a ride so far and it was enabled by doing what I was good at and liked doing. So my only advice is to figure out what you are good at and like doing and chase it.

And for a young person, I think it would be tough to beat doing 20 in the military with a nice pension and time for a whole other career. Retire with two retirements.

NicPaus

Reaction score

Have him get a job as a helper in Plumbing, HVAC or Electrical. Whichever one he is interested in. Or send him to lineman school if that interests him. I have many friends that own those 3 types of companies that are successful. I have been a GC since I got my license at 27.

Plumbing is the most needed on emergency basis that pays lot. When you have to shit or the water is off customers want it fixed asap. Electrical they will use a portable light or run a extension cord temporarily. HVAC if in AZ or other hot states is high in demand but here in southbay not so much. Electrical and HVAC is cleaner and there is less competition here. With that said I have a Plumbing rig and 4 trucks for GC work. I have 6 close friends that are plumbers and still do majority of my Plumbing work myself as it pays. I get calls all the time for Plumbing and usually pass it off to my friends as I am busy. Have gone back and forth on starting a 3rd company for just Plumbing. I have my OG construction company and a new 1 I recently started for kitchens and bathrooms as major focus along with designing the jobs. Plumbing there is always work but a lot of competition.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The money and jobs were in So Cali.
Lots of other places I would have liked but this is where it paid best.

I'd still like to open up a small tavern with simple but good bar food and excellent beers.
In todays world only the chains survive in that business.

A bar called riverdavesplace would do well in Parker or Havasu.. ;).

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Same.
I dont have a lot of cushion to risk...which ironically is why I have to take a risk at my age.
I have 2-5 years till SS if it even still exists then.

A working wage till SS and what I have saved isn’t going to get it done if I live too long! Lol
I don’t know what will be “enough” but it doesn’t feel like I’m there at all.
So the “ballsy” part is what I’m struggling with as well!
I’m watching it close, have my alarms all set, and have conditioned myself to pull the trigger when I see a trend.

My buddy started this year. He accidentally bought into a coin trying to get to another coin.
$100 into Bogged finance
He couldn’t figure out how to correct his mistake so he just left it alone. It dwindled to about $25 over a couple weeks.

Then he woke up to this... View attachment 1058739 it

That’s fucking crazy!! Good for him!

Makes me want to put 100.00 into a bunch of ransoms and hope one hits lol

poncho

Reaction score
Different. I work in Healthcare. Would have gone out on my own which is still kinda the plan. We have rentals and such which will help a transition. I have a good gig but with mandates looming I probably won't. If it's not this one something else. We will see what happens. Luckily Arizona and the hospital haven't caved yet but I imagine it's coming
I just spent 5 days there and am now back in Mass, much prefer the Arizona vibe versus the Nazi rule in this state

beerrun

Reaction score
I love what I do been doing it for 34yrs but I think if I could do it again I would have done my 30yrs in the Coast Guard and then started to drive trucks

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
That’s fucking crazy!! Good for him!

Makes me want to put 100.00 into a bunch of ransoms and hope one hits lol
I’m trying to look at it as a 401 option.
Each week I pick one of my 5 “coins” after looking at the trends for a week, month, 3 months and 6 months and decide where to put a hundred bucks or more.
If they are all up in the high side of the historical graph I look at the other 10 top performers, then look at other ones that have fallen out of the top 10 and maybe pick a new one.
Hitting a lottery score is nice, but that’s not the long term goal although it sure does happen and it isn’t a fluke.
All I know is that I’m up over 25% in 3 months with steady 1-2 hundred dollar purchases and a couple bigger ones that I couldn’t resist.
You dont have to buy a whole coin.
I own less than one Etherium coin, I bought it at $3025 a coin over 3 buys in July and August.
It’s sitting at $3900+ right now and the all time high is $4300 I think?
401’s don’t come close. I’m thinking of yarding my 401 and putting it in Crypto.