WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

If You Have 4 Minutes, Watch This Video....SDC Sheriff's Bodycam, Accidental Fentanyl Exposure

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

For those of us that don't understand the reality of serious drugs, may help see things differently. May also see risks LE face every day we don't think about...and also stuff our kids may run into these days.

Just a PSA...

J.P.

Reaction score
Just watched it on the news he just got close to the white powder and that was it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I honestly didn't realize how potent the stuff was. I figure the narcan was for OD'ing druggies, never crossed my mind that a LEO may need it for accidental exposure.

@t&y , is this stuff a powder, like cocaine, or granular? I assume more powder in consistency, for it to get into this deputy's system so easily.

Sketchy as hell. I know cartels are adding it to other "products" to increase the potency. I figure it like octane boost for drugs. If it's that potent/dangerous, I think I'd want it dispensed by a trained person, and not some in a garage in Mexico

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Wow is all I can say.😳

Was that from testing a small sample chemically or just vapor/odor that caused that reaction? Fuck!

i’m not making any judgments on what the officers did just curious. I always heard you didn’t want to breathe that shit or get it on your hands but damn, it didn’t look like any of that happened.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I honestly didn't realize how potent the stuff was. I figure the narcan was for OD'ing druggies, never crossed my mind that a LEO may need it for accidental exposure.

@t&y , is this stuff a powder, like cocaine, or granular? I assume more powder in consistency, for it to get into this deputy's system so easily.

Sketchy as hell. I know cartels are adding it to other "products" to increase the potency. I figure it like octane boost for drugs. If it's that potent/dangerous, I think I'd want it dispensed by a trained person, and not some in a garage in Mexico
Fentanyl and Car-Fentanyl are very scary drugs. Generally white crystals broken down into a fine powder white powder when processed. It has legit uses in the medical realm for terminal patients that are basically just trying to control pain levels while dying.

It first started showing up in ChinaWhite Herion on the east coast. Now they are cutting it into pills, powders, etc, and it has spread across the nation. The junkie takes their normal amount not knowing it's been cut with Fentanyl and it's lights out.

Narcan if introduced early on can be a real game changer. Some OD's are just too far gone. I train its use to our department as part of our tac-med training and stories like this, or those involving kids accidentally exposed, are what sells the implementation of Narcan. There are actually non profits out there handing this stuff out homeless and the local jails have those same Narcan dosses available for inmates in the housing units.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Fentanyl and Car-Fentanyl are very scary drugs. Generally white crystals broken down into a fine powder white powder when processed. It has legit uses in the medical realm for terminal patients that are basically just trying to control pain levels while dying.

It first started showing up in ChinaWhite Herion on the east coast. Now they are cutting it into pills, powders, etc, and it has spread across the nation. The junkie takes their normal amount not knowing it's been cut with Fentanyl and it's lights out.

Narcan if introduced early on can be a real game changer. Some OD's are just too far gone. I train its use to our department as part of our tac-med training and stories like this, or those involving kids accidentally exposed, are what sells the implementation of Narcan. There are actually non profits out there handing this stuff out homeless and the local jails have those same Narcan dosses available for inmates in the housing units.
Me being the heartless prick I am, I don't feel bad for a long term junkie that spins out. I feel bad for the kids...we lost two up here last year. By all accounts, lifelong friends, football players, should have been going to college in a week or two. Friend of a friend said try these...

They were "loaded" counterfeit pain meds. The story goes they were just trying it because they hadn't.
Three households destroyed. 2 boys died, and last I'd heard one going to trial.

The world sure isn't what it was in the 90's. I knew the stuff was bad, but didn't know how bad, or how easily ingested it could be. That's why I wanted others to see the vid. I know I'm not the only one behind the times on drugs.

Stay safe. Beat that training into your guys' heads...that's some pretty scary stuff.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Jeez I had no idea how deadly it it is, or that you can just be near it and be affected.

Thanks for posting this [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Crazy so he had this effect just be breathing around it? Or did he actually touch it?

how the heck do druggies use this stuff, if just a grain or two can kill you?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Jeez I had no idea how deadly it it is, or that you can just be near it and be affected.

Thanks for posting this [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Crazy so he had this effect just be breathing around it? Or did he actually touch it?

how the heck do druggies use this stuff, if just a grain or two can kill you?
If it's in a bag and you don't disturb it you are fine. If they cut it into pill form and you touch it you can absorb the fentanyl through the skin and it will effect you. The most common is the powder gets a bit disturbed and you inhale it. It really is scary shit, nothing to be messed with.

They are cutting it into just about all the street level elicit drugs. One dead give away is if the pills are not shiny or smooth. Legit manufactured and controlled pills have an coating that the cartels have not had too much success in duplicating.

My suggestion to anyone coming across pills that they did not see come out of a prescribed bottle is not to handle them. The powder is so fine that even with gloves on you can disturb it and get effected by the stuff.

There is a reason Fentanyl Floyd died with so little actual ingestion, and it has little to do with the idiot cop freezing in place and not following basic procedures. ;)

scottchbrite

Reaction score
We just had this discussion at work this week. We (fire/EMS) have the advantage of having a larger stock of Narcan with us, along with 4 to 6 of us onscene at a time. We’re seeing a big uptick in OD‘s, like a few a day sometimes in Berdo, and in a wide range of people. The last few we’ve had were labeled as Percocet, from a dealer. We’re going to start carrying more just for us and everyone re-focusing on scene safety and awareness. BTW, we carry Fentanyl in our drug bag for pain management because it works so well- just a lower concentration.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
That is crazy! And people take this shit on purpose?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We just had this discussion at work this week. We (fire/EMS) have the advantage of having a larger stock of Narcan with us, along with 4 to 6 of us onscene at a time. We’re seeing a big uptick in OD‘s, like a few a day sometimes in Berdo, and in a wide range of people. The last few we’ve had were labeled as Percocet, from a dealer. We’re going to start carrying more just for us and everyone re-focusing on scene safety and awareness. BTW, we carry Fentanyl in our drug bag for pain management because it works so well- just a lower concentration.
My wife follows local PD and town stuff on FB. Our little town has had 2 OD's this week, suspected fentanyl.

Kids watched vid. Daughter starting college was real emotional. Shocked her to see how quick it can possibly kill, even if you don't "take" the drug.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

Another one of my buddies OD’d last Friday. His dad was a cop and in highschool I thought he had the perfect life. Rip Danny

Lumpy

Reaction score
My brother Bill was killed by this last week...he was 52. My friends daughter was killed by it three weeks ago as well.
Addiction is a nasty thing...gos hand in hand with depression.
That video is a perfect example of what is happening to hundreds maybe thousands a day here in the U.S. Ive been
watching this long before my brothers death. I'm surprised there isn't more outrage over Fentanyl...I wouldn't be surprised
that it's killing more than covid here in America.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
My brother Bill was killed by this last week...he was 52. My friends daughter was killed by it three weeks ago as well.
Addiction is a nasty thing...gos hand in hand with depression.
That video is a perfect example of what is happening to hundreds maybe thousands a day here in the U.S. Ive been
watching this long before my brothers death. I'm surprised there isn't more outrage over Fentanyl...I wouldn't be surprised
that it's killing more than covid here in America.
Way more imo. Like you I can list a handful of recent deaths due to fenny. Not as many for covid

riverroyal

Reaction score
My sons best friend and room mate is a new SD sheriff working the prison now. We also live in san marcos where this occurred.
Great thread, thank you for putting it up.
Just sent it to my boys

PaPaG

Reaction score
It is so dangerous that there are agencies around the country that WON'T field test any suspected narcotics anymore due to possible Fentanyl exposure and I don't blame them. When people started ODing a few years back I was curious why and how someone that is not a druggie can OD or get effected from a short distance or extremely light exposure and why users don't od with the same contact, we were trained that the user builds an immunity slowly to the drug and they can handle more and more til they OD themselves... one of the worst dangerous substances out there.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Narcan is saving heroin addicts left and right. A guy that used to work for me has saved 17 in 1 year with it. He is in a rock band and lives with a bunch of addicts and plays with them regularly.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
In regard to that video - hold on a second...

"We have a lot of scientific evidence and a good knowledge of chemical laws and the way that these drugs work that says this is impossible," said Ryan Marino, medical director for toxicology and addiction at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

"You can't just touch fentanyl and overdose," he said. "It doesn't just get into the air and make people overdose."

Academics at University of California, San Diego and North Carolina's nonprofit RTI (Research Triangle International) published a paper in June in the peer-reviewed International Journal of Drug Policy that concluded there are no confirmed touch-based cases of first responder fentanyl overdoses, even when naloxone was used to revive them.

Citing similar conclusions on skin contact from the American College of Medical Toxicology and the American Academy of Clinical Toxicology, the International Journal of Drug Policy paper also suggested that panic attacks were at work, and that hyperbolic information about fentanyl didn't help.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

"We have a lot of scientific evidence and a good knowledge of chemical laws and the way that these drugs work that says this is impossible," said Ryan Marino, medical director for toxicology and addiction at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

"You can't just touch fentanyl and overdose," he said. "It doesn't just get into the air and make people overdose."

Academics at University of California, San Diego and North Carolina's nonprofit RTI (Research Triangle International) published a paper in June in the peer-reviewed International Journal of Drug Policy that concluded there are no confirmed touch-based cases of first responder fentanyl overdoses, even when naloxone was used to revive them.

Citing similar conclusions on skin contact from the American College of Medical Toxicology and the American Academy of Clinical Toxicology, the International Journal of Drug Policy paper also suggested that panic attacks were at work, and that hyperbolic information about fentanyl didn't help.
From my youth, cops used to stab a key into whatever stuff they found, put the residue from the key into a vile, shake and look...like pool chemical stuff.

I wonder if the cop disturbed the bag bad enough to dust up the powder. They never said if it was absorbed via skin contact or inhalation.

HBCraig

Reaction score
This baffles me. If this is truly used to treat severe pain in terminal patients then how is t administered? That is, if a medical professional is giving it to you them what happens when they touch this stuff ?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
This baffles me. If this is truly used to treat severe pain in terminal patients then how is t administered? That is, if a medical professional is giving it to you them what happens when they touch this stuff ?
When my mom was in the hospital her last time, there was an IV bag. Like the smaller types, maybe a few ounces? It was run through a pump. I'm thinking the illicit stuff is a concentrated form, and the medical stuff is diluted liquid usually. The pill form stuff may be made in very small quantities and then mostly binder powder...?

Any RDP pharmacists out there?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
When my mom was in the hospital her last time, there was an IV bag. Like the smaller types, maybe a few ounces? It was run through a pump. I'm thinking the illicit stuff is a concentrated form, and the medical stuff is diluted liquid usually. The pill form stuff may be made in very small quantities and then mostly binder powder...?

Street pharmacist was my profession in another life. I’m glad this stuff wasn’t too big when I was in highschool and college.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Street pharmacist was my profession in another life. I’m glad this stuff wasn’t too big when I was in highschool and college.
I may or may not have been in the transportation, procurement and billing departments... Live and learn. Good, bad, right or wrong, all paths that lead wherever you are. As long as you try to be a better person as you get older, I figure it should be ok.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

Easy solution. Come over here Ryan Marino. That right there is Fentanyl... Go ahead and mess around with it for a bit and we'll just sit back and watch. 😂 😂 😂 Million bucks says his speculation resides.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Easy solution. Come over here Ryan Marino. That right there is Fentanyl... Go ahead and mess around with it for a bit and we'll just sit back and watch. 😂 😂 😂 Million bucks says his speculation resides.
I wonder if he would do it with no Narcan nearby? 😂

scottchbrite

Reaction score

We deal with it in MCG….. MICRO kilograms in a liquid form.
BFC59F50-C95F-4ADA-B173-05C2E7EBE40E.jpeg

Lumpy

Reaction score

Yes and No...I agree on the touching part..."It doesn't just get into the air and make people overdose"...???
What did ya just see? I just saw a guy open a baggy and OD. Heated bag?...Poof in the face.

Posted in this....

new-study-shows-law-enforcement-officers-falsely-believe-they-are-high-risk-fentanyl-overdose

I love digging into sources of stuff

Looks like rti has an agenda to me!

Lumpy

Reaction score
Who is Dr. Pia MacDonald and why isn't she on wikipedia???

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… can’t remember how long ago it was but when I was at my place at Lake Oroville and needed refills on my prescriptions I used to see a doctor in Oroville…one day he wasn’t there and I saw a Physicians assistant …he started reading me the riot act for the medication I was taking which was nothing all that big???…he told me that I should be taking fentanyl😳
… i’m now quite glad I didn’t listen to him…

… in 2015 when I was being seen by medical professionals in Fresno for my second broken neck deal… I had an MRI done of my inner ear as they were afraid I might have an inner ear tumor…the ear nose and throat specialist I saw said he himself was on fentanyl and that they would not give it to him in Fresno county…he had to go all the way to Stanford to get what he wanted.., no question about it he was the most informed and the best I saw in Fresno County where I was staying… I noticed when he was not seeing a patient that he would open a cupboard outside of the exam rooms and just stare into it???…So dunno???…

Riodog

Reaction score
God, so much bs. So far I haven't read anything above that I would bet my life on. Just say NO!
If a qualified 'pain specialist" didn't recommend it then you don't need it. Around here BHC there are exactly 2 doctors that are okayed by the state of Az to prescribe it. ( and that's only in the form of a patch, as far as I know ).They usually include a Rx for Narcan (a nasal spray) along with it.
If you need a pain pill ask for a T-3, T-4 or a vicoden. Fentanyl is usually reserved for long term relief.
JFYI-Here in Az the state controls how much each pharmacy can get so when they've used up their 'allotment" for the month then that's all til next month so they tend to 'ration' their supplies.
Most pharmacies won't take in patients that just walk in with a written Rx. It must be prescribed electronically.
This is straight from the guy living in the bush down by the Laughlin bridge. LOL
Rio

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

Yes and No...I agree on the touching part..."It doesn't just get into the air and make people overdose"...???
What did ya just see? I just saw a guy open a baggy and OD. Heated bag?...Poof in the face.

Posted in this....

new-study-shows-law-enforcement-officers-falsely-believe-they-are-high-risk-fentanyl-overdose

I love digging into sources of stuff

Looks like rti has an agenda to me!

Hahahahahahaha..... From the Article.
"As opioid and fentanyl related deaths have increased by nearly 3-fold since 2016, officers are more likely now than ever before to encounter fentanyl and its analogs, highlighting an urgent need to ensure accurate research is in the hands of law enforcement officers and first responders.

“We know that law enforcement officers face immensely stressful situations on a daily basis and concern of an overdose from touching fentanyl should not be added to that list of occupational hazards and stressors,” said Peyton Attaway, a public health analyst in the Center for Policing Research and Investigative Sciences at RTI and lead author on the article. “Our study shows that there is a clear need to work with law enforcement agencies and the media to help ensure stories of these instances are accurate and that there is a lot of work to be done to help combat instances of misinformation.”

Hahahahaha.... I'm all for edumuhhcating these pooow dum PoeLeeece man. But I learn best by live demonstration. So I think I need to contact the rocket scientist that authored this piece, suit him up, get his body temperature nice a warm (usually a decent sweat under the vest all day) then have him do some live demonstrations. Again, this is real easy. The people doubting the drug can simply rub some on their hands and show us all there is nothing to worry about.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
God, so much bs. So far I haven't read anything above that I would bet my life on. Just say NO!
If a qualified 'pain specialist" didn't recommend it then you don't need it. Around here BHC there are exactly 2 doctors that are okayed by the state of Az to prescribe it. ( and that's only in the form of a patch, as far as I know ).They usually include a Rx for Narcan (a nasal spray) along with it.
If you need a pain pill ask for a T-3, T-4 or a vicoden. Fentanyl is usually reserved for long term relief.
JFYI-Here in Az the state controls how much each pharmacy can get so when they've used up their 'allotment" for the month then that's all til next month so they tend to 'ration' their supplies.
Most pharmacies won't take in patients that just walk in with a written Rx. It must be prescribed electronically.
This is straight from the guy living in the bush down by the Laughlin bridge. LOL
Rio
Gee I wonder why there are so many restrictions on a drug that Law Enforcement is taking too seriously, according to RTI of course... lol...

From my experience, the people we come across O.D.ing on it do not know they are taking it. It's the same as the early 90's when the cartels would release a hot batch of mexican brown or china white and people would start dropping everywhere because their normal does was now far more potent. We do catch people who possess it in the powder form and know what they have, but they are generally not the ones using it.

I agree 100% with you. If you don't know what is in it, don't take it, but that bit of common sense is no so common amongst addicts on the streets.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If you don't know what is in it, don't take it, but that bit of common sense is no so common amongst addicts on the streets.
From what I've heard up here, it seems to be pill poppers OD'ing. It seems as though they are all kids who think they're doing X or pain pills. In their minds maybe they "know", but the actual substance is different. I sometimes wonder if their kids that caught a buzz after taking one legitimate vicodin, after a tooth was pulled or something, so figure 2 street corner pills should really mess them up.

I don't know how to stop it, but thinking a strong border would help...

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Hmmm
Learned something today .
It’s like having a weapon . A sick way of looking at this but wow this shit is deadly.
Kinda like covid