WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

If you were going to tow...

XX14

Reaction score
around a 3,700 pound 25' Rage, that's not counting the trailer, fuel, or anything in the boat and put 5-6 people in the vehicle and tow thousands of miles for instance from San Antonio to Lake Powell

AND

you did your homework and decided against diesel because the truck would primarily be a daily driver and you weren't planning on getting a bigger, heavier boat for a while

BUT

you wanted to make sure you had plenty of tow capacity so trips like the aforementioned run to Lake Powell or to the Lower River from SA wouldn't be so stressful that you would decide not to take them. AND you wanted to make sure you had enough chassis and braking ability to do this safely...

what would you buy?

Current vehicle is the 2001 Chevy Van with the 5.7 and upgraded hitch, trans cooler, and Firestone bags with an on-board compressor. Would like to buy something with less than 75K between 2005 - 2010 that would have a 2-300K mile life expectancy if well cared for. I'm not super excited about buying a vehicle that's no longer made ie. an Excursion and the V-10's scare me a bit.

The van's going to run out of life in the next couple of years, currently has 160K and it's going to make it 200K! At any one time we have seven souls on board, 5 kids. I'm thinking a Crew Cab, Mega Cab?, gasser that would tow up towards 10K.

I know y'all have nothing better to do than to solve this conundrum for me so have at it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
decided against diesel because the truck would primarily be a daily driver

Not trying to be a smart ass at all (for once..hehe), but why is diesel not accptable for a daily driver to you?

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
7 people on board rules out pickup trucks, even crew cabs...

You need something with a 3rd row seat. Expedition, Tahoe, Durango or a full size van again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

rivergames

Reaction score
I bought a have a 02 crew cab chevy duramax with 190,000 that just towed the enclosed trailer, race boat, gear, gas, + a bunch of other shit from LA to Wheatland, MO. The truck didn't miss a beat.

Chevy Duramax is the only way to go IMO:thumbsup

XX14

Reaction score
4 x 4 is a necessity here because of sketchy launch ramps here. No diesel because I won't tow often enough to justify it and the increased cost of maintenance. Just not enough benefit to the diesel for my needs. I'd really love to have one but when I'm honest with myself it just doesn't make sense. There's the possibility that I'll change my mind but I thought I'd pick y'all's brains about the gasser option.

We're kicking at least one kid out to college next year so a truck is the goal here.

JUAN VONWERNER

Reaction score
IN THE WORDS OF RIVERMOBSTER, IM NOT TRYING TO BE A SMART ASS EITHER BUT IF YOU HAVE DONE YOUR HOMEWORK WHY WOULD YOU NOT WANT DIESEL? LOTSA TORQUE, YOU WILL DOUBLE YOUR MILEAGE, MOTOR WILL LAST LONGER THAN YOU AND YOU CAN PULL A LOADED FREIGHT TRAIN. MY DIESEL F350 CREW CAB WAS MY DAILY DRIVER FOR YEARS. 1 HOUR EACH WAY. BEST DAMN VEHICLE I EVER OWNED. I MISS IT.

XX14

Reaction score
I bought a have a 02 crew cab chevy duramax with 190,000 that just towed the enclosed trailer, race boat, gear, gas, + a bunch of other shit from LA to Wheatland, MO. The truck didn't miss a beat.

Chevy Duramax is the only way to go IMO:thumbsup

on that vehicle? Is it 4 x 4? What kind of mileage in town and on the highway towing?

XX14

Reaction score
IN THE WORDS OF RIVERMOBSTER, IM NOT TRYING TO BE A SMART ASS EITHER BUT IF YOU HAVE DONE YOUR HOMEWORK WHY WOULD YOU NOT WANT DIESEL? LOTSA TORQUE, YOU WILL DOUBLE YOUR MILEAGE, MOTOR WILL LAST LONGER THAN YOU AND YOU CAN PULL A LOADED FREIGHT TRAIN. MY DIESEL F350 CREW CAB WAS MY DAILY DRIVER FOR YEARS. 1 HOUR EACH WAY. BEST DAMN VEHICLE I EVER OWNED. I MISS IT.

but I want to explore the possibility of an HD gasser and then do a cost benefit on the diesel v Gasser options. Thanks. And please don't yell at me:p

soupersonic

Reaction score
Maybe you should rent a diesel truck for those trips if you dont want to buy one.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Where are you towing from? From PHX there are a few killer hills to deal with. That being said, I towed my 24 Stealth and my 25' Cobalt (a pig compared to your boat) to Powell with a 2004 Hemi 5.7 Durango 4x4 and had no problems at all. In fact, it impressed me quite a bit. So, you could do it with a strong gasser and the correct gearing. If your van is a 4x2 consider dropping in a lower gear set and a limited slip.:thumbsup

Attachments

• DSCN4434.jpg
    DSCN4434.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 812
  • DSCN4463-EDIT.jpg
    DSCN4463-EDIT.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 823
Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
That's not a lot of trailer. IMHO doesn't justify the added expense of a diesel. Cost to buy, cost to maintain, all higher for diesel. Diesel only makes sense when your load demands it.

5 - 6 people is a lot, even in a full size van there's not much room for luggage. And people weigh a lot. So I'd look at a one ton van, or a three quarter ton suburban. An excursion would also make my short list. Not sure why the V10 scares you, it's a great engine just thirsty.

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
4 x 4 is a necessity here because of sketchy launch ramps here. No diesel because I won't tow often enough to justify it and the increased cost of maintenance. Just not enough benefit to the diesel for my needs. I'd really love to have one but when I'm honest with myself it just doesn't make sense. There's the possibility that I'll change my mind but I thought I'd pick y'all's brains about the gasser option.

We're kicking at least one kid out to college next year so a truck is the goal here.

Where are you getting this info? :headscratch:

I spend FAR less on my diesel truck than I ever did on my gas truck. In fuel AND maintence! No spark plugs to change and all that jazz. From my personal experience, a diesel is much cheaper to own in the long run.

Now...

I bought both trucks used. Didnt spend a whole lot. If your comparing new to new, and checking the maintence through the dealers, I could be way off with this.

Mine were both F350's, exact same trucks. 460 vs. 7.3.

You couldnt pay me to switch back to gas. Even on a daily driver.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That's not a lot of trailer. IMHO doesn't justify the added expense of a diesel. Cost to buy, cost to maintain, all higher for diesel. Diesel only makes sense when your load demands it.

5 - 6 people is a lot, even in a full size van there's not much room for luggage. And people weigh a lot. So I'd look at a one ton van, or a three quarter ton suburban. An excursion would also make my short list. Not sure why the V10 scares you, it's a great engine just thirsty.

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup

You too??? Kinna suprised at this! Splains why you bought own a Prius. :p

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
E350 W/5.4 TOWS LIKE A DREAM.. I ADDED A DOUBLE BED (took out 2 rows of seats...it came with three) thing gets 17/18 mpg on high way

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 355
  • P1010014.jpg
    P1010014.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 355

The Doctor

Land Sales GURU
Reaction score
There's more than one way to skin this cat. I paid $15K for this with 131K miles on an L-10 Cummins. We purchased two of them. My father in law used his to haul hay for ten+ years and I built a small lounge on ours to pull both our race car trailer and our fifth wheel unit. Total expense in repairs to date is a fan belt in Vegas on the way to a Salt Lake City drag race.

Alfa1-1.jpg

XX14

Reaction score
I'm towing from San Antonio. Another van is NOT an option nor is the Excursion, or a 7.3 2002 Truck no matter how great that vehicle is.

PLEASE STOP THE BUY A DIESEL THING. I'M NOT TOTALLY OPPOSED BUT I WANT TO KNOW WHAT MY BEST GASSER OPTION IS.

I've heard good things about the Duramax and I'm wondering about a Hemi Mega Cab 4x4.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Where does everyone get the idea that diesels are so much to maintain? The oil changes are more (average $100) but they go much longer Intervals. I change my oil between 7500-10k miles. Where as on gas I was changing every 5-6k miles. I change fuel filters religiously with every oil change (way overkill) and those are $19 and take about 5 minutes. Other than that my dodge with 105k has needed nothing.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I'm towing from San Antonio. Another van is NOT an option nor is the Excursion, or a 7.3 2002 Truck no matter how great that vehicle is.

PLEASE STOP THE BUY A DIESEL THING. I'M NOT TOTALLY OPPOSED BUT I WANT TO KNOW WHAT MY BEST GASSER OPTION IS.

I've heard good things about the Duramax and I'm wondering about a Hemi Mega Cab 4x4.

There are no good gas vehicles for towing anymore. None of the big three build a true big block HD. The hemi 2500 absolutely sucks and drinks fuel like its going out of style. Ford and Chevy both top out at 6+ liters in gas motors. The days of the 496/460 v8s and the v10s are gone. At that point people just go to diesel due to the lesser cost of owning in the long run much better fuel mileage and way better towing abilities. The Chevy and fords drive like has trucks. The dodge will tow a house and run forever with no problems.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

:headscratch:... how you gonna haul 7???.... are they puppys??:headscratch:

Reaction score
Where are you towing from? From PHX there are a few killer hills to deal with. That being said, I towed my 24 Stealth and my 25' Cobalt (a pig compared to your boat) to Powell with a 2004 Hemi 5.7 Durango 4x4 and had no problems at all. In fact, it impressed me quite a bit. So, you could do it with a strong gasser and the correct gearing. If your van is a 4x2 consider dropping in a lower gear set and a limited slip.:thumbsup

2005 2 wheel drive hemi, and no issues, other than a two new batteries over 6 years. I'm very happy.

Our launch ramps are much better than those in Texas:rolleyes:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score

Dude relax. Maybe you should listen to them. If your completely stuck on gas only good, SAFE options in my opinion are either a 3/4 ton suburban, van, or a V-10 Excursion. If you plan on packing that many people in it and towing with it you'll need one of those.

Sent from my iPhone paid for with Union money. :D

XX14

Reaction score
2005 2 wheel drive hemi, and no issues, other than a two new batteries over 6 years. I'm very happy.

Our launch ramps are much better than those in Texas:rolleyes:

both driving around town and towing loaded on the highway. Thanks.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Anyone else think there will be no correct answer for the question in the original post?

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score

I've owned a Hemi Durango and a 5.9 Cummins Mega Cab. IMO, the Hemi 5.7 is too small a motor for the Mega Cab if you are going to tow, unless you gear it way down. The 5.7 Hemi in a lighter truck flat out hauls ass.

But, do the new Mega Cabs have the larger Hemi gasser motor? I think its a 6.0? That would probably work:thumbsup

XX14

Reaction score
Dude relax. Maybe you should listen to them. If your completely stuck on gas only good, SAFE options in my opinion are either a 3/4 ton suburban, van, or a V-10 Excursion. If you plan on packing that many people in it and towing with it you'll need one of those.

I really just want to know folks experience on the best gasser 4x4 Truck. No need to sell me on the diesel thing. I know it's the best option if I were going to tow a lot and long distances. I'm trying to be real about what the truck would be used for and in the end I plan on comparing the gasser options with the diesel options BUT I wanted this thread to be about the best gasser option.

XX14

Reaction score
Anyone else think there will be no correct answer for the question in the original post?

just opinions and options to be considered in the end.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
both driving around town and towing loaded on the highway. Thanks.

In my Durango full-time 4x4 it got 17 combined with a light foot. Towing the boats it was about 12. Towing my 25' Travel Trailer, it was about 10mpg.

Cummins Mega auto 4x4 got about 18 combined with a light foot and about 15 towing the boats. Got about 14 towing the 30' fiver to Flag etc.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
A 4x4 3/4 ton Suburban would be my choice, given those parameters. Used, they aren't too pricey....every time gas prices go up, suburban prices come down.. :p

We have an 04, with the 5.3, although its only the 1/2 ton. It tows pretty darn well. Steep grades do slow it down. The 4x4 is handy to have too. The longer wheel base would make it more stable than a Durango or Tahoe. Get one a couple years old and let someone else take the depreciation hit.

A full size van would be more of a hassle as a daily driver. I've had Fords but prefer the Chevrolet layout.

I also have a Silverado SRW 3500 with the Duramax. (Which has an Isuzu emblem on it).

The diesel costs more in fuel, but the mileage is better. The oil change interval is longer, so the maintenance costs are not necessarily more. Duramax motor is a great power plant. I have 180K on mine and it runs great. Still original brakes too!

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Cummings Diesel Mega Cab 4x4. Diesel is the only way to go, better gas mileage, never have to worry about a climb, fuel mileage is much much better towing than any gas engine. Diesels pretty much break in at 100k miles, resale is much better.

Cummings because Ford and Chevy are still having problems with their diesels. The only problem is that the cummings engine is far superior to the truck. The engine will last much longer than the vehicle itself.

Just my .02, sorry to crap on Ford and Chevy's, but this is from my experience.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Always been happy with the towing ability of my HD2500 (GASSER) 8.1L with the 5 speed Allison.

Given the way the OP is asking, I'd look for a 3/4 ton Suburban with the 8.1 and I think GM didn't offer the Allison in the 'burb, only the p/u.

CC

XX14

Reaction score
Always been happy with the towing ability of my HD2500 (GASSER) 8.1L with the 5 speed Allison.

Given the way the OP is asking, I'd look for a 3/4 ton Suburban with the 8.1 and I think GM didn't offer the Allison in the 'burb, only the p/u.

CC

Whatever I get it will be a 4x4 pick up with the ability to haul six of us in a pinch. What kind of mileage did you get with this truck, what year was it, and how did you feel about the chassis and brakes for towing? Thanks

JUAN VONWERNER

Reaction score
Where are you getting this info? :headscratch:

I spend FAR less on my diesel truck than I ever did on my gas truck. In fuel AND maintence! No spark plugs to change and all that jazz. From my personal experience, a diesel is much cheaper to own in the long run.

Now...

I bought both trucks used. Didnt spend a whole lot. If your comparing new to new, and checking the maintence through the dealers, I could be way off with this.

Mine were both F350's, exact same trucks. 460 vs. 7.3.

You couldnt pay me to switch back to gas. Even on a daily driver.

TOTALLY AGREE 100%

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Whatever I get it will be a 4x4 pick up with the ability to haul six of us in a pinch. What kind of mileage did you get with this truck, what year was it, and how did you feel about the chassis and brakes for towing? Thanks

14 mpg not towing and running 75 mph to river. Towing (depending on the load) about 9-10 mpg. My 24' Howard is heavy (I'd guess it close to 6,000 on the trailelr) and has surge brakes with no issues at all. Truck has 140K miles on the original pads. My HD is 2X4 so your mileage may vary........:D

Faceaz

Reaction score
Not going to be a popular choice here.. But I want my wifes next car to be our tow vehicle & have settled on the Nissan Armada. Decent milage, great reliability, decent power, plenty of stopping & has a 3rd row seat sitting 6 to 7 pretty comfy.

I thought diesels needed oil changes more regularly? My buddy uses his hd3500, towing every day & says changes are more frequent because of how crude diesel is.

Reaction score
Nissan maxima hands down

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Cummings Diesel Mega Cab 4x4. Diesel is the only way to go, better gas mileage, never have to worry about a climb, fuel mileage is much much better towing than any gas engine. Diesels pretty much break in at 100k miles, resale is much better.

Cummings because Ford and Chevy are still having problems with their diesels. The only problem is that the cummings engine is far superior to the truck. The engine will last much longer than the vehicle itself.

Just my .02, sorry to crap on Ford and Chevy's, but this is from my experience.

View attachment 207390

No "g" in cummins ;)

My only regret with the truck is that I didn't get the mega cab.

Last edited:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Not going to be a popular choice here.. But I want my wifes next car to be our tow vehicle & have settled on the Nissan Armada. Decent milage, great reliability, decent power, plenty of stopping & has a 3rd row seat sitting 6 to 7 pretty comfy.

I thought diesels needed oil changes more regularly? My buddy uses his hd3500, towing every day & says changes are more frequent because of how crude diesel is.

10k miles. I do mine sooner though since it doesn't get used much.

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I really just want to know folks experience on the best gasser 4x4 Truck. No need to sell me on the diesel thing. I know it's the best option if I were going to tow a lot and long distances. I'm trying to be real about what the truck would be used for and in the end I plan on comparing the gasser options with the diesel options BUT I wanted this thread to be about the best gasser option.

the new dodge hemi 4x4 is the best truck out there peroid...

15 mpg

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Okay everyone is saying diesel or new gasser but I saw you want used gas.

I bought new a 2005 Avalanche 2500 4X4 with 8.1 and 4.10 gears. I used it pretty much only towing my 29 Baja Outlaw (about 12K# on trailer) and it was great. I could go over the big mountain passes at 70 MPH. BUT unlike a diesel, it would kick down into passing gear and tach out at 4K RPMs so I'd usually kick off the cruise and foot throttle it at about 60 MPH up the hills and it would stay in top gear.

You can get the same set up in a Suburban and seat more people. In fact, because I hardly ever drove the Avalanche I sold it over a year ago and bought a 1997 Suburban 7.4, 2500 4X4. It does almost as well as the 8.1 (a bit less power) and cost me about a quarter of what I sold the Avy for. The down side is about 12 MPG for either of them.

The Excursion would be a good option too and the V-10 has a ton of power.

My personal opinion is don't buy a truck for a daily driver. Buy a cheap tow rig like I did and get some more user friendly for a DD.

XX14

Reaction score
this is the spirit of what I was asking. I appreciate all the opinions but I think sometimes folks just like to agitate around here:cool: I know all about how much I'd like a diesel but it MAY not be the best choice for us.

I've been looking up capacities on the 8.1, the Hemi Mega Cab, but I'm curious about the Duramax 2500 HD 6 liter motor. Capacity on that is 10K and that would work.

It's going to be a 4x4 truck and I really like the Mega Cab room...

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
this is the spirit of what I was asking. I appreciate all the opinions but I think sometimes folks just like to agitate around here:cool: I know all about how much I'd like a diesel but it MAY not be the best choice for us.

I've been looking up capacities on the 8.1, the Hemi Mega Cab, but I'm curious about the Duramax 2500 HD 6 liter motor. Capacity on that is 10K and that would work.

It's going to be a 4x4 truck and I really like the Mega Cab room...

Duramax is the diesel. No diesel remember. ;)

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Duramax is the diesel. No diesel remember. ;)

How many real trucks use duramax? In fact I don't know of Anyone that considers the duramax or power stroke a real diesel. Real diesels are 6 cylinders And inline ;)

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
How many real trucks use duramax? In fact I don't know of Anyone that considers the duramax or power stroke a real diesel. Real diesels are 6 cylinders And inline ;)

And larger than 6.7 liter. ;)

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
And larger than 6.7 liter. ;)

Or not.... there are numerous commercial, marine, agriculture, etc.. applications that utilize the 5.9. How many applications are the d-max in?

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Or not.... there are numerous commercial, marine, agriculture, etc.. applications that utilize the 5.9. How many applications are the d-max in?

What's your point Bill? The guy in this thread only cares about gas engines. No ones saying your Cummins is bad. It's the rest of the truck that's lame. LOL