WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

If you were to buy a SXS today. What would you do?

wallnutz

Reaction score
1601334642392.png

I am going to get one of these. AC, heat totally enclosed, have the shocks done and add a turbo. Might not be the fastest, but it will be the coolest.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Hope it uses a different fuel pump than our 15' EP 900S, that died and left us stranded way the hell out in the mountains to die alone --- TWICE :mad:
After the 2nd one, my normally brave wife said --- "That's It, I'm not riding in it anymore" --- gone the following day and replaced with the Wildcat XX, so far so good.
2500 problem free miles.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Just changed the fuel pump on my 2017, guess its a common thing next to belt.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Hope it uses a different fuel pump than our 15' EP 900S, that died and left us stranded way the hell out in the mountains to die alone --- TWICE :mad:
After the 2nd one, my normally brave wife said --- "That's It, I'm not riding in it anymore" --- gone the following day and replaced with the Wildcat XX, so far so good.

Just changed the fuel pump on my 2017, guess its a common thing next to belt.

I believe they do. But the issue with most of those RZR pump problems is actually the internal O ring on the pickup. It splits and the car can't hold fuel pressure. I actually have a spare O ring in my spares kit in the car, but I have never had any issues. You can change the o ring on the trail if you had to, it is not horrible to do. It is the green O ring below. Once you get the fuel pump basket out, the pump slides out, swap the O ring and put it back together.

oring.JPG

Last edited:

boatnam2

Reaction score
I believe they do. But the issue with most of those RZR pump problems is actually the internal O ring on the pickup. . it splits and the car cant hold fuel pressure. I actually have a spare O ring in my tools in the car, but I have never had any issues.
Wish i would of know that $600 dollars ago lol

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
The XX is pretty good bone stock.

Attachments

• wildcat.mov
    3.8 MB

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
And by the way my RZR 1000 XP4 will be for sale at the end of the year time frame :)

Well sorted car, full custom valved suspension and Eibach springs, big 2.5" front shock upgrade, 30" tires, beadlock wheels, ECU remapped by EVO, clutch tuning, comms, GPS, lights, chase lights, windsheild, mirrors, 5 point harnesses, spare tire, storage, very well maintained, needs nothing.

B0077165-1051-438D-A083-F59D0B4C4D96.jpeg

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
I believe they do. But the issue with most of those RZR pump problems is actually the internal O ring on the pickup. It splits and the car can't hold fuel pressure. I actually have a spare O ring in my spares kit in the car, but I have never had any issues. You can change the o ring on the trail if you had to, it is not horrible to do. It is the green O ring below. Once you get the fuel pump basket out, the pump slides out, swap the O ring and put it back together.

View attachment 926990

First one lasted several years (forget the hours), otherwise trouble free. AZ West replaced the pump under extended warranty and the new pump lasted maybe 15 hours, or just enough to get our confidence back for a more remote ride, then it failed again. Mentioned it to a neighbor who's got mid-west hunters with the 900, before I even mentioned the fuel pump, he said --- "let me guess, it was the fuel pump". His friends all carry spare pumps. So I'm not sure what failed, but by the close of business the following day, it wasn't our problem any longer. 👍

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I was hoping for a 4 seat Turbo Kawasaki by now quite honestly. With more power and a 4 seat option I would have been a buyer.

This is specific to Havasu, but unless you are on a graded road, or drag racing on the street 95% of people will be just fine with a 100-130 HP car, and will be just as fast as the 200 HP Turbo RZR or Can Am in almost all trails and dirt situations. There are few places around Havasu where you can put the extra power down effectively... and that is if you are even driving hard. If everyone in your group is cruising, no one knows the difference anyway :)

I have had 2 Teryx’s they are great machines. Bullet proof. I would be all over the teryx if they built it as a 4 seat turbo or not.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
View attachment 926964
I am going to get one of these. AC, heat totally enclosed, have the shocks done and add a turbo. Might not be the fastest, but it will be the coolest.

Running golf carts now in our gated community but i’ve been looking at Ranger crew northstar HVAC editions.

it is hard to stomach paying close to 30 grand for something i can’t use on the roads
(I live in PA now) when i can take my built grand cherokee anywhere once outside the gates......but it’s just not the same as a sxs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

teded

Reaction score
Wildcat xx
IMG_3642.jpg

Bought a rack from Wallmart.
Very smooth ride.

G. Faulk

Reaction score
View attachment 926964
Searching around, came up empty on where you found this. Do you know who built this defender?

Last edited:

wallnutz

Reaction score
Searching around, came up empty on where you found this. Do you know who built this?
The Can Am model is called Defender. This one was done up by Jefferies performance in Phoenix. Polaris makes one too called a Ranger Northstar. I was just informed the Can Am doesn’t have AC😕 I stand corrected the ‘21 has AC

Last edited:

G. Faulk

Reaction score
The Can Am model is called Defender. This one was done up by Jefferies performance in Phoenix. Polaris makes one too called a Ranger Northstar. I was just informed the Can Am doesn’t have AC😕
I've had a 18 max HD 10 crew Defender set up close to this, very nice ride. In the market for new will call Jefferies, thanks

dezrtracer

Reaction score
lol.. I’m buying a 4 seat non turbo rzr tomorrow with a cage, bench seat in the back, harnesses, shock therapy upgrades for 19.5.. I plan on running it until the speed cars come out and selling it for 20.5 - 19.5

What !! Did you sell the Can Am ?

Reactions: DWC

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Did the same as other have mentioned. And just bought a well equipped 1026 miles and 94 hours
Adjustments.jpg

RZR for 22k and will sell it in a couple years.

Cage, roof, doors w/panels,PRP seats with belts, lights front and back, whips, shock therapy suspension, methods with BFG’s, trinity exhaust, rugged radio, Rockford stereo system, spare on rack and full windshield. Was just serviced as well before I bought it.

Adjustments.jpg

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Did the same as other have mentioned. And just bought a well equipped 1026 miles and 94 hours View attachment 927078

Cage, roof, doors w/panels,PRP seats with belts, lights front and back, whips, shock therapy suspension, methods with BFG’s, trinity exhaust, rugged radio, Rockford stereo system, spare on rack and full windshield. Was just serviced as well before I bought it.

View attachment 927077

You got a great deal..

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
We will probably be looking for a 2 seat SXS soon. Mostly used for local stuff around Havasu.

Wait for the Speed? When would it even get here if you ordered one soon?

Get a new can am? Is it worth it to get a '21 with smartshox? What other upgrades are a must?

I would like to keep a reasonable budget.

Seems like the machines that are lightly used are as much as new right now.

Really do some serious soul searching about what you will use the machine for.
"Mostly local stuff around Havasu" seems sorta open ya know?
If there is any chance you are going to wind up in the sand, and perhaps might find you really like it, or find you really like going fast, then you want a turbo car, IMHO.
NA will work well everywhere but the sand in the 1000 class, but when you get that thing in the dunes you will be disappointed, especially if you think you might add a spare, a cage, nice seats, a stereo, you know...just a few things...that add up to a couple hundred pounds, LOL
If this is the case...turbo car.
I have a very close friend who tricked out a new general 1000, set it up for exactly what he thought he wanted to do.
Then, he went with us for a weekend, hard riding in a mix of dunes and fast desert, etc. He was behind me in my Turbo S when his wife pointed out the way my suspension was working, and how she could feel that theirs was not. They had a blast.
He traded in the general for a Turbo S the next week.
So if suspension is important to you think bigger car. Can Am XRS or XDS or Turbo S. The pro Rzr version of the S is not out yet.

I say all of this to try to save you some money.
It is cheaper in the long run to buy the machine you know you really want than it is to buy the one that you can get buy with, spend an a pile of money on it, only to face the music and sell it to buy the machine you really wanted in the first place.
I did the above. I think Mr LOF kinda did. I was spending $ on suspension on the XP1k and he was watching closely, and then he jumped in too. I suspect many here have done it.
Buy once, get the machine you want. Be done with it. You already mentioned the Can Am with the Live Valve I think, that tells me there is another guy lurking on your left shoulder who has plans a bit different than the "basic around town cruiser" guy on your right shoulder.

The Robby Gordon machine will be awesome I am sure. If you don't want to wait and decide to listen to the left shoulder guy, who wants the power and the suspension, you have two choices, the Can Am and the Polaris Dynamix. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Both will need things attended to to make them as good as they can be.
We cam from a Polaris and my bad back was not happy climbing in and out of a Can Am, and I really loved it and wanted to go there, but it just didn't work for us. We bought a 2 seat turbo S dynamix
These things almost never remain stock. Guy on left shoulder again.
We did the cage, Eibach springs and real 5 point harnesses this past year, and I brought my PRP seats and Dirt engineered doors over from the XP1k Added an S&B Particle filter last spring. Next year will be another list of stuff. I am keeping this for at least 10 years, which is exactly what I said about the 2014 XP1K I replaced with this one. LOL
They are a helluva lot of fun and will take you places few other vehicles can take you, and they are money pit, the depth of which depends on how frequently the left shoulder guy wins the conversation, but even with the right shoulder guy in charge, they can cost ya some bucks.
So just have that honest conversation with yourself, weigh all the pros and cons, and do what seems right. If you can find the used car that fits the bill for a decent discount over new then it is worth considering. The problem is finding that machine, and right now the used market is nuts too.

Booshy

Reaction score
54144FA7-F5B0-4B31-B8A7-ACD9742992FA.jpeg

I’m going to post my daughters car for sale. I was thinking $21k. 2017 XP 1000 It has less then 1500 miles on it. I can put a full list of parts on this car if anyone is interested. Cars in San Diego.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
You got a great deal..

I thought it was a good deal as well. Saw it posted on offer up for 23k and went and saw it right away. Offered him 22k and hauled it off. The guy used it as a bar hopper in Havasu.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
lol.. I’m buying a 4 seat non turbo rzr tomorrow with a cage, bench seat in the back, harnesses, shock therapy upgrades for 19.5.. I plan on running it until the speed cars come out and selling it for 20.5 - 19.5

I was going to go look at a a 2015 or 2016 can’t remember exact year with the exact same upgrades with no turbo for the same price. Guy said he only ran it very little. Dude was saying his buddy was first in line even though I had cash. I’m not patient so went and got a 2021 Cam Am X3 DS Turbo 4 seater. My buddy ended up buying it a week later. Looked good. Until last Saturday when it started bogging out on full throttle or going up hills. Even after cleaning out air filter. Thinking fuel pump issues. You never know what problems you could might inherit.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Really do some serious soul searching about what you will use the machine for.
"Mostly local stuff around Havasu" seems sorta open ya know?
If there is any chance you are going to wind up in the sand, and perhaps might find you really like it, or find you really like going fast, then you want a turbo car, IMHO.
NA will work well everywhere but the sand in the 1000 class, but when you get that thing in the dunes you will be disappointed, especially if you think you might add a spare, a cage, nice seats, a stereo, you know...just a few things...that add up to a couple hundred pounds, LOL
If this is the case...turbo car.
I have a very close friend who tricked out a new general 1000, set it up for exactly what he thought he wanted to do.
Then, he went with us for a weekend, hard riding in a mix of dunes and fast desert, etc. He was behind me in my Turbo S when his wife pointed out the way my suspension was working, and how she could feel that theirs was not. They had a blast.
He traded in the general for a Turbo S the next week.
So if suspension is important to you think bigger car. Can Am XRS or XDS or Turbo S. The pro Rzr version of the S is not out yet.

I say all of this to try to save you some money.
It is cheaper in the long run to buy the machine you know you really want than it is to buy the one that you can get buy with, spend an a pile of money on it, only to face the music and sell it to buy the machine you really wanted in the first place.
I did the above. I think Mr LOF kinda did. I was spending $ on suspension on the XP1k and he was watching closely, and then he jumped in too. I suspect many here have done it.
Buy once, get the machine you want. Be done with it. You already mentioned the Can Am with the Live Valve I think, that tells me there is another guy lurking on your left shoulder who has plans a bit different than the "basic around town cruiser" guy on your right shoulder.

The Robby Gordon machine will be awesome I am sure. If you don't want to wait and decide to listen to the left shoulder guy, who wants the power and the suspension, you have two choices, the Can Am and the Polaris Dynamix. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Both will need things attended to to make them as good as they can be.
We cam from a Polaris and my bad back was not happy climbing in and out of a Can Am, and I really loved it and wanted to go there, but it just didn't work for us. We bought a 2 seat turbo S dynamix
These things almost never remain stock. Guy on left shoulder again.
We did the cage, Eibach springs and real 5 point harnesses this past year, and I brought my PRP seats and Dirt engineered doors over from the XP1k Added an S&B Particle filter last spring. Next year will be another list of stuff. I am keeping this for at least 10 years, which is exactly what I said about the 2014 XP1K I replaced with this one. LOL
They are a helluva lot of fun and will take you places few other vehicles can take you, and they are money pit, the depth of which depends on how frequently the left shoulder guy wins the conversation, but even with the right shoulder guy in charge, they can cost ya some bucks.
So just have that honest conversation with yourself, weigh all the pros and cons, and do what seems right. If you can find the used car that fits the bill for a decent discount over new then it is worth considering. The problem is finding that machine, and right now the used market is nuts too.

There is a lot of good advice to unpack here, and I appreciate the well thought out response. You clearly have some money and years backing this up, so I appreciate you letting me piggyback off your experiences.

DLC

Reaction score
race desert Has some nice cars

887128FD-0853-4DE1-8F6B-D526EC5D9803.png
2D0C791C-DDD7-43AA-9855-C8CFA918910B.jpeg

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
If you were to buy a SXS today. What would you do?

Borrow Ardy's. With the trailer. And the dooolly.

Dan'l

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
I agree! [emoji817]

I might say, bring life to it by adding a wrap. [emoji471]

I need to get with a designer and see what colors would work with the tan seats and the bronze Methods. Or would sure change the look of the whole car.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Did the same as other have mentioned. And just bought a well equipped 1026 miles and 94 hours View attachment 927078

View attachment 927077
I would have been all over that as well.

Craigslist?

c_land

Reaction score
We will probably be looking for a 2 seat SXS soon. Mostly used for local stuff around Havasu.

Get a new can am? Is it worth it to get a '21 with smartshox? What other upgrades are a must?

RZR turbo S. Used or new. Walker Evans shocks.

They have really worked out a lot of the bugs with the S Models as well has dialed in the clutching and beefed up the correct parts

My brother has a 2 seat turbo s and drives it harder than anyone I know. He’s had no parts failures in sand or where we drive outside of oatman.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
If you are looking today for a Havasu Cruiser I would just save your money and get a Polaris XP1000 or a Can Am X3 DS. Plenty of power and suspension for the trails around there from either one of those platforms. If you want an all out Dune Slayer put down your deposit on a Speed SxS El Diablo or El Jefe. (FYI - If you order one today don't expect it for 9-12 months ish)

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
For a RZR 4, Walker Evans or Fox shocks?

I don’t plan to have the shocks tuned. It’ll be a family cruiser chasing my kids in their 50s. Are Fox worth the extra money when looking used?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
For a RZR 4, Walker Evans or Fox shocks?

I don’t plan to have the shocks tuned. It’ll be a family cruiser chasing my kids in their 50s. Are Fox worth the extra money when looking used?

The Fox is a better shock, but not amazingly better. Getting the shocks tuned or at least better springs is amazingly better.

If you found the right car with Walkers for a good price, I would not hold out to try to find a Fox shocks model.

For a cruiser, I think the Walker car will serve you better anyway. The Fox cars are supposed to be a little harsher at low speeds with better damping at higher speeds and loads when compared to a Walker car.

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I’ve been debating whether to sell my garage queen or not.

2018 with Madigan cage, PCI radios, PRP seats, Method wheels, Rock Ready lowered and reclined seat bases, etc...

Car is a total cream puff with not a scratch on it by evidence of the miles and hours...

91E8DF20-CE4F-4DDF-90B5-0B316281A845.jpeg
2FB6E294-CEA5-46F7-8B80-D205ADA294E0.jpeg
75C2CE65-7BA9-44A9-A3F4-92D8354AB46D.jpeg
42F06B55-D851-4121-BCFC-3A10DF3AB1BF.jpeg
4CD1FC50-FC70-41A0-8A2D-99BDC50268F2.jpeg
CB63464C-7C06-433D-96A3-48A6A0BF9E39.jpeg
06365324-C27A-428B-A20B-90518831A10B.jpeg
C564809F-0BAC-4AA5-9313-2CFE1875C38C.jpeg
59A4E4B5-A99F-44CF-9B6C-0AC3372485A1.jpeg

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
FYI:
Neighbor just bought the new 2021 Can AM X3 MAX. Had to go to Northern Cali to even find one and they got full price.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

My bro in law has the 2020 can-am xc. Thing was unreal bone stock.

If I had the cash, I'd be perfectly happy with one of those.

PlanB

Reaction score

2018 with Madigan cage, PCI radios, PRP seats, Method wheels, Rock Ready lowered and reclined seat bases, etc...

Car is a total cream puff with not a scratch on it by evidence of the miles and hours...

View attachment 928477 View attachment 928478 View attachment 928479 View attachment 928480 View attachment 928481 View attachment 928482 View attachment 928483 View attachment 928484 View attachment 928485

Nice!

Madigan is doing my cage and a bunch of other stuff. Seems to build some nice stuff.

satellitemike

Reaction score

View attachment 928477 View attachment 928478 View attachment 928479 View attachment 928480 View attachment 928481 View attachment 928482 View attachment 928483 View attachment 928484 View attachment 928485
Your creampuff needs a bath, the second pic has dust on it! LOL.
Lett me know when you get tired of it, I may have a space in my garage for it!

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

View attachment 926990
First one lasted several years (forget the hours), otherwise trouble free. AZ West replaced the pump under extended warranty and the new pump lasted maybe 15 hours, or just enough to get our confidence back for a more remote ride, then it failed again. Mentioned it to a neighbor who's got mid-west hunters with the 900, before I even mentioned the fuel pump, he said --- "let me guess, it was the fuel pump". His friends all carry spare pumps. So I'm not sure what failed, but by the close of business the following day, it wasn't our problem any longer. 👍
I’ve redneck engineered a half dozen of these cars for friends, all of them failed due to the o-ring. I just use in tank fuel line, haven’t had one failure yet.🤪
( I really need a redneck emoji)

Taboma

Reaction score
I’ve redneck engineered a half dozen of these cars for friends, all of them failed due to the o-ring. I just use in tank fuel line, haven’t had one failure yet.🤪
( I really need a redneck emoji)

You mean you're removing the in-tank fuel pump ? Also curious, when this o-ring cracks, does the engine run at all ? In my case, initially it would simply act like it ran out of gas, falter a few times, then reduce power until it finally died. It would re-start and idle poorly, but as soon as you applied throttle, sputter and die. With both incidences I was able to start it, then with one quick throttle stab, leap it up the ramp onto the trailer.
No matter at this point, our old 08 Polaris Ranger 700 was flawless for 8 years, we worked that thing hard around the ranch property and exploring the mountain trails, without a whimper and it never left us in a pinch.
That 900S had so many clunks, bangs and rattles, bad shocks, several recalls, that thing was bad Ju-Ju and we're done with Polaris. So far I'm impressed with the build quality, ride, power and how stout this Wildcat XX feels.
The things we didn't like initially were, a lot of dust, heat to much driver seat recline and low seating position making it hard to see over the front end for navigating our often rocky terrain. New PRP seats and one trip to the Wildcat XX Guru, Don, in Havasu and all those complaints were solved.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
You mean you're removing the in-tank fuel pump ? Also curious, when this o-ring cracks, does the engine run at all ? In my case, initially it would simply act like it ran out of gas, falter a few times, then reduce power until it finally died. It would re-start and idle poorly, but as soon as you applied throttle, sputter and die. With both incidences I was able to start it, then with one quick throttle stab, leap it up the ramp onto the trailer.
No matter at this point, our old 08 Polaris Ranger 700 was flawless for 8 years, we worked that thing hard around the ranch property and exploring the mountain trails, without a whimper and it never left us in a pinch.
That 900S had so many clunks, bangs and rattles, bad shocks, several recalls, that thing was bad Ju-Ju and we're done with Polaris. So far I'm impressed with the build quality, ride, power and how stout this Wildcat XX feels.
The things we didn't like initially were, a lot of dust, heat to much driver seat recline and low seating position making it hard to see over the front end for navigating our often rocky terrain. New PRP seats and one trip to the Wildcat XX Guru, Don, in Havasu and all those complaints were solved.
That pretty much describes what the cars I fixed were doing, not always a cracked or torn O-ring sometimes they were just swelled up to the point they didn’t seal I tested the fuel pumps independently on the bench and they made correct pressure, it’s been a while but I believe they’re around 41 psi. I would say the vast majority of these fail for this reason. Kind of a piss her when the new fuel pumps are $400 or something like that, I have no idea what the dealer charges to install.