WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ignition Failure- MSD 6m

BUSTI

Reaction score
Last week at the river I fire the boat up on the launch ramp and it fires right off & idles for a couple of minutes. I give it one little rev and it dies. I try to start it and nothing. Pull the boat up to the house and go through the ignition trouble shooting in MSD's manual (since I have fuel PSI at the carb, bowls are full and I can see it squirting fuel). The MSD distributer pickup ohms out, 12v switch, power and ground ok but the box will not trigger. With the distributer or jumper. I had a new Digital 6AL box by chance in my truck so I switched it out. The the motor lit right off. The old box is a 6m that is about 9 years old. I figure that it may just be worn out.

Besides from not being a marine unit is there any harm with using the Digital 6AL? Of I keep water off of it will it be a reliable unit? Is the 6m worth trying to have repaired?

Thanks for the help

Busti

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Not sure if it can be repaired but I just gotta say congrats on getting 9 years out of one. Lol

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
They won't repair the marine unit.

BUSTI

Reaction score
Not sure if it can be repaired but I just gotta say congrats on getting 9 years out of one. Lol

Really? They are that bad. Are the newer ones any better?

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Really? They are that bad. Are the newer ones any better?

Not sure. I went with a Mallory CT Pro cause they supposedly have a better track record. It failed after 10 hours. Lol. Luckily they replaced it for free.

BUSTI

Reaction score
They won't repair the marine unit.

Sucks. So if it's a marine then they are just throw always. I really don't want to shell out $350 if my standard box will last a few seasons.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Sucks. So if it's a marine then they are just throw always. I really don't want to shell out $350 if my standard box will last a few seasons.

Lots of people run standard boxes. Just gotta keep them dry, make sure all the wire connections are good, and I've seen some people use rubber mounts to keep the vibrations down inside it.

Waterheater

Reaction score
I've had a digital in my jeep for 3 years with no problem.

BUSTI

Reaction score
Not sure. I went with a Mallory CT Pro cause they supposedly have a better track record. It failed after 10 hours. Lol. Luckily they replaced it for free.

What luck. I guess 9 years from mine was ok. Just don't ever want to be left stranded.

BUSTI

Reaction score
Lots of people run standard boxes. Just gotta keep them dry, make sure all the wire connections are good, and I've seen some people use rubber mounts to keep the vibrations down inside it.

Rubber mounts is a great idea. If there is any moisture it will be up off the surface to dry too. Maybe I'll run his one until it quits.

Waterheater

Reaction score
Do you mud it at all? I am just worried about moisture.

Hell no I don't mud it! I hate mud. But it's been in the rain a couple of times. I don't have fender wells so it got wet. I actually took the connectors of the marine and but on this one. Also the rubber mounts. Those are as important as anything. They seem more durable than the old 6A's.

Runs2rch

Reaction score

This. Black 6 or 6N are both better choices. Designed for high vibration. The 6M quality has gone way down.

DaveH

Reaction score
This. Black 6 or 6N are both better choices. Designed for high vibration. The 6M quality has gone way down.

x10. MSD quality isnt what it used to be. i woudlnt worry about a "marine" box if you have other non CG approved accessories. the new 6a boxes have a better metri-pak style connection and are only about $175.

Havasu Catman

Reaction score
I don't think there is any safety danger in not having the coast guard approved unit. I am not sure of this, but I think both are potted on the inside. The connectors on the 6a are not water proof but the unit should be. I have found that msd boxes mounted on the transom rarely go bad. If they are mounted on the engine itself it is a crap shoot how long they will last.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I don't think there is any safety danger in not having the coast guard approved unit. I am not sure of this, but I think both are potted on the inside. The connectors on the 6a are not water proof but the unit should be. I have found that msd boxes mounted on the transom rarely go bad. If they are mounted on the engine itself it is a crap shoot how long they will last.

I agree with the mounting as well. You will find that supposed reputable builders will argue that harmonics is harmonics blah blah blah. Anyone that argues you have the same vibration mounted to the transom or the engine is incorrect. Also I'm sure the box is not getting heat soaked at all being mounted to a METAL bracket solid mounted to the head.