WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ignition Switch

RVR_RCN

Reaction score
Is this what you call a four position ignition switch? Boat was crapping out on me over the weekend definitely electrical, losing power (like shutting off) I think this is the culprit.

RVR_RCN

Reaction score
Is this what you call a four position ignition switch? Boat was crapping out on me over the weekend definitely electrical, losing power (like shutting off) I think this is the culprit.

I think it's a 3 position? Can anyone confirm.

Thanks, Rich

RVR_RCN

Reaction score
I can't recall ever turning it to the left, but I think it does. Do 3-position and 4-position switches have the same terminal configuration on the back?

RVR_RCN

Reaction score
In other words, if it is a 3 position and I wire a 4 position switch in, does that work

RVR_RCN

Reaction score
I'm thinking it's a 4 position because it has 4 terminals. When looking online the 3 position only has 3 terminals.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Not sure what type of ignition you have. It would be rare, but do you have a magneto and not a distributor ?? There are three position four terminal ignition switches specifically for magneto ignitions.

RVR_RCN

Reaction score
No magneto. After looking at the pic closer, the terminals are labeled BAT, ACC, IGN & ST. So appears to be a 4 position

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Some marine ignition switches have no option for an accessory (key to the left) a mag switch actually grounds out when the key is off,, typically no acc on these but they do exist. I run an accessory switch on my day cruiser so I can turn the bilge or blower on and not have fuel pump run. Choosing your ignition depends on how on how you run accessories etc. Have you checked for a loose connection? Turn the key on and see if your gauges move, could just be a loose wire. What type of boat?

3 position key will have 4 lugs, don't count the power lug. Where the 3 position has IGN/ACC together you can wire a 4 position to run acc without turning anything else on.
1602639455689.png

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
It’s a little more work but worth it in the end imho. I did the newer style Merc ignition with the sexy key on my last boat. Post 32 is about that.