WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ignition system question

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
I have a old Mallory dual point distributer in my boat. And I would like to know if I can use a MSD Blaster 2 cool with it?

And ya I know. Throw it out, it’s junk and get an electronic ignition.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I have a old Mallory dual point distributer in my boat. And I would like to know if I can use a MSD Blaster 2 cool with it?

Could even just throw a marine DUI Hei in. Won't break the bank, and will perform much better and be reliable.

SFOcean

Reaction score
"I have a old Mallory dual point distributor in my boat. And I would like to know if I can use a MSD Blaster 2 cool with it?'

Yes

brendellajet

Reaction score
Could even just throw a marine DUI Hei in. Won't break the bank, and will perform much better and be reliable.

I pulled a Mallory distributor off an old 454 and put one of those D.u.i. HEI's on and holy moly, motor was spitting black carbon out the headers instantly. Considerably more powerful than the unit it replaced.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

What's the restiance value of said coil?

With points, you should probably have a least a 3 ohm coil, or you will fry the points.

Do you have a coil resistor already in place? Is it connected properly? If not, the points will fry anyways.

Here is a great article about how points actually work, and why you should get rid of them! LoL

Pertronix probably makes a replacement kit for your existing distributor. ;)

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
What's the restiance value of said coil?

With points, you should probably have a least a 3 ohm coil, or you will fry the points.

Do you have a coil resistor already in place? Is it connected properly? If not, the points will fry anyways.

Here is a great article about how points actually work, and why you should get rid of them! LoL

Pertronix probably makes a replacement kit for your existing distributor. ;)

THIS

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
Put a pertronix or mallory kit in the distributor and run the lower primary resistance coil and you also get all the other benefits.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
I have a complete Pertronix marine system on order.

My Mallory coil box wasn’t mounted and is just laying on the manifold. There is no bracket to mount it. I do have a MSD coil and bracket and I am just trying to get through the next weekend. Then I will install the Pertronix

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have a complete Pertronix marine system on order.

My Mallory coil box wasn’t mounted and is just laying on the manifold. There is no bracket to mount it. I do have a MSD coil and bracket and I am just trying to get through the next weekend. Then I will install the Pertronix

Even if it is a low resistance coil, your points Might survive just a weekend.

No way of knowing for sure.

Take extra points with you?

DaveH

Reaction score
most MSD coils are designed to work with a CDI (capacitive discharge) igntion box and wont work with that type of setup. You need an inductive coil and there are still some out there by MSD and other ignition manufacturers.

points do work. dual points just give you a longer service life. you will need a ballast resistor or the points will fry.

SFOcean

Reaction score
I assumed Big Mike knew he would need a ballast resistor as the 8202 is a high-perf coil and not resisted.
Quote from MSD "Improved output coil for electronic ignitions, Blaster Ignition or MSD 5, 6, and 7 Series (ballast resistor required for points)"
Anyway, happy boating :)

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
I assumed Big Mike knew he would need a ballast resistor as the 8202 is a high-perf coil and not resisted.
Quote from MSD "Improved output coil for electronic ignitions, Blaster Ignition or MSD 5, 6, and 7 Series (ballast resistor required for points)"
Anyway, happy boating :)

I do have a balance resistor already installed. All i wanted to do was put new points in an replace the old Frankenstein Mallory coil box with a MSD coil I already had.

We shall see this weekend.