WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ill miss him

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I just had to have my 6 year old Bengal put to sleep this morning. Watching him deteriorate over the last year has been trying to say the least. Many ups and downs of him getting better, then worse, then better, then worse again. Many late nights staying up cooking chicken for him and mixing in nutrient and vitamin packs as that was all I could get him to eat these past months.

He was a good cat. before he got sick, he had a 6 ft vertical leap from a sitting position and he was also my lap cat which is rare for a Bengal

I am thankful to my vet who was able to get him to his 6th birthday but in the end his cancer finally got him. I am happy he is finally at peace and no longer in pain, but I am hurting a little bit this morning.

Goodbye Halsey

20160514_115335.jpg
20160628_204802.jpg
20160717_200641.jpg
20160809_210057.jpg
20161217_104253.jpg
20220510_092208.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We have both dogs and cats...we're all inclusive around here. Lost our orange "Simba" just over a year ago. He was around for my daughter's first day of pre-school, and left us the day after she got her college acceptance😢

Animals play a huge part in people's lives. They are more than pets, more like roommates and family members. As with any family member, we know their suffering is done, but ours has to take time to heal.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I miss the ones we no longer have. Our old gray cat would wait for me to come home from work. He would sit in the driveway. He knew the sound of my truck. LOL

A new kitten sure helps heal the loss though....

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I miss the ones we no longer have. Our old gray cat would wait for me to come home from work. He would sit in the driveway. He knew the sound of my truck. LOL

A new kitten sure helps heal the loss though....

Ill end up having to get another friend for his litter mate Chester who is still with me. Poor guy has been crying and trying to open cabinets all morning looking for him.

When Im ready, Im going to start looking into some Highland Lynx breeders. I dont think Ill be able to do another Bengal at the moment

Singleton

Reaction score
Sucks having to say goodbye to pets.
My wife was devastated when we came home from the river one trip and her Persian could not walk anymore. The cat had cancer and while we were away something went bad. it flat out sucked saying bye to that cat. The new cat travels with us now to the river and gets the cat hotel if she can’t come with.

rrrr

Reaction score
I'm sorry. Losing the companionship of your kitty has to be hard. Six years is just a moment that passed too quickly. Halsey was a beautiful cat. My words are inadequate, and I know they're of little comfort.

I hope you'll find a kitten to take Halsey's place. Your other cat is hurting too.

We have an impending crisis in our home. Our cat Chuck is seventeen. We found him on Craigslist, and drove to Fort Worth on a rainy night in 2005 to bring him home. He's moving slow and limping a bit, diagnosed as inflammatory arthritis.

Last week the vet wrote a pain med prescription for buprenorphine. We give it to him in late morning. It's expensive, but that's OK. Chuck needs the relief, and it seems to be helping.

Lately I've been spending a lot of time reading or watching TV with Chuck. He stretches out on my chest, and I pet him as he purrs loudly. I'm going to miss that time we spend together. He's hurting pretty bad, and the day he leaves us will come too soon.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Sharing our home with our Bengal "Java" was amazing entertainment and a perfect blend of love, joy and calling the prick a string of every four letter words I could assemble.
There was never any doubt, it was "All about him", most noticeably felt after he was gone.
I never laughed so hard losing so much blood, but when he loved, oh my, he was all in.

So sorry for your loss 😢

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
My heart is breaking for you right now bud, nothing hurts so much as loosing a battle like that. It's agonizing to see them slowly fade.

My animals have all been special, each in their own way. Remember the best of him, and get Chester a new buddy, he'll get over it way faster than you.

A new kitten won't replace Halsey, but it will help ease the pain, and give Chester someone to love when you are not around!

jadenchick

Reaction score
I’m so sorry for your loss. Saying goodbye is never ever easy. Hasley was beautiful!
I don’t have an advice for the other kitty who is sad. When Samantha passed away Chloe cried for 6 months. It was awful - vet didn’t have an answer either.

I’ve had 2 cats and I still miss them both every single day. Chloe used to travel with us and when we were in Havasu she would check out the boat and the RZR in the garage to verify it was still there, like there were her toys. It was pretty funny and she did it every single time.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss, losing any of our little life partners is tough, cats or dogs. Lost several of each and none were easier to deal with than the others, it just feels like a loss and hole in your life when they depart. This will heal, just know that you were the best guardian and partner in life for your little guy and remember him. Then get another little life partner when your ready, it's what he would have wanted. It really sucks our best friends that need us the most do not have the same life span as us. We know if we knew when they would pass, and how much we loved them, we wouldn't have shied away from being their guardian and dealing with their loss, 10 times out of 10.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Cooking breakfast this morning, I suddenly realized there was nobody at my feet by the stove begging for a pinch of cheese 🙁
Just like any family member, every day gets easier. It won't get "better", but easier.
Your household/immediate "family" is small. Any change or loss within it is a massive percentile. That can be good at times, but this isn't one of them :(

rrrr

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words all. Bunch of closet cat lovers up in here😅
I showed your photos to Fonda, and she sends her love. She also shed a few tears for your beautiful cat. Nobody cares about pets more than her. She's been a petsitter for more than twenty years, and has cared for thousands of cats, dogs, ferrets, fish, lizards, parakeets, parrots, pigs, rabbits, snakes, turtles, and more I can't recall.

But her love for them is strong.

Last edited: