WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I'm out of touch- Air Fare?? WTF

Water Romper

Reaction score
I don't travel much anymore, haven't been on a plane for 20+ years. Went to book a flight and car for a trip to Orange County, CA (Long Beach, John Wayne or...) from little ol' Boise, ID.
Friggin $2300.00 WHAT??? Not first class, a step above baggage would be fine, the car? A cheap ass Hyundai, over two thousand dollars?? talking 5 days for the car.

Guess I'm out of touch with reality. Any RDP inside tips for travel?

Singleton

Reaction score
For 1 or 2 tickets.
Rental car prices are nuts, so that is most likely 750 for the week.
Then factor in you are trying to fly from a small airport to OC, which has one of the highest landing fees (ticket are always more). Long Beach will be expensive as well. Have you tried LAX.

Yoshiro

Reaction score
If you are a costco member their travel site has good deals on rental cars. I've found they are the best deal I can find for the past 10 years or so on trips I've taken. I check back often as the prices change a lot. I usually end up cancelling and rebooking when lower prices show on their website.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
So glad my corporate rates are still dirt cheap.
When we had our Hawaii Thanksgiving trip planned, using the corporate rate the car was $180 for 8 days :)
We'd booked so far in advance it was within reason. My son ended up getting a car via Turo for he and his gf&kids.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
One way car rental from LAS to LHC is $200+. Unfortunately everything thing is expensive these days.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Come in to San Diego? I see tickets start at $389 up to $600 on Alaska. OC is an hour drive north. Depends on your travel dates of course.

C-2

Reaction score
We just booked round-trip tickets thru Hawaiian Airlines to Kauai at $300 round-trip. Booked a few days ago for next week.

Two weeks ago my daughter visited a friend at University of Idaho in Moscow(?) ID. Anyhow, she flew into Spokane, round-trip was just under $200 thru Allegiant, flew out of OC John Wayne.

Keep looking around?

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
i did that.jpg

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
For the rental, try Turo.

SNA is always much more than LAX. If you’re close, and have the money, I think it’s worth it to suck up the price difference. My 5 min uber and no parking is worth it vs. parking and up to a 2 hour drive each way to LAX.

Did you pick your dates after researching on flights.google.com?

sirbob

Reaction score
I think you are doing something wrong.

Here is a screen shot to that flight from Boise to Santa Ana over thx giving weekend - You didn't mention the date so I picked the busiest weekend.

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 8.13.14 AM.png

Groper

Reaction score

Here is a screen shot to that flight from Boise to Santa Ana over thx giving weekend - You didn't mention the date so I picked the busiest weekend.

View attachment 1061894
Yes this ^^^^ is more like it, I flew to SAT from SNA RT stayed 3 days, with Car drove to Rockport Tx and back to SAT, Hampton Inn all for $730.00 through Expedia NC for the car rental ;)

All Ya'll need to get CC cards and put all your monthly expenses, I mean everything, utilities, car payments, auto pays everything and pay it off every month, pile up miles and travel credits it does pay back in most cases not all but most.

Last edited:

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I am flying again for work, not at the same rate. I see less flight options, but prices are within reason, no super cheap like I used to get on random flights, but I am flying to Houston in a couple of weeks and its the same price its always been. My international to UK was exact same prices as I always pay. Rental cars are brutal though, look into above suggested alternatives.

beerrun

Reaction score
Jet blue has 31.00 flights through today

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Somethings definitely wrong there.

I just booked GEG (Spokane) to SNA last night for $250 round trip. Haven't looked at rental car yet. Might give Turo a try.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I just booked Cleveland OH Monday 11-1 / 11-2 $950.00 out of Ontario

Lax to San Antonio 11-11 / 11-14 $2100 all 4.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Dang, You guys have the latest scoop!! Thanks for the advice. I think to save money, Ill just book a flight to Hawaii and screw Christmas.

I am looking at LAX, Ontario, San Diego- I heard about Google as well. Will try CostCo too (forgot about them)
And it was mentioned to "book in advance"...that would have required some forethought, planning and a bit of responsibility on my part, I guess I may have to pony up due to slacking. But again, Thanks for all the tips- I know what I will be doing today (while working from home- hehe)

HBCraig

Reaction score
So glad my corporate rates are still dirt cheap.
When we had our Hawaii Thanksgiving trip planned, using the corporate rate the car was $180 for 8 days :)
Same here. I gave executive status with Nstiinal but the problem is there are NO cars.

Icky

Reaction score

View attachment 1061894
I just was about to post something similar as I didn't think that was correct.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
well I'll paraphrase the old divorce joke, Why is flying in/out of SNA so expensive? Cause its worth it. Just came back from Hawaii Sunday night and what a total shit show LAX is vs SNA. My college kid decides she can't pick me up cause its too far/late and she has to work early monday so I have to go to plan B which was lyft back to OC. You have to take a shuttle bus to another lot to catch your lyft and the shuttle bus is crammed packed lucky I squeezed on at terminal 2 others on the other side of the airport not so lucky. The lyft guy made me a cash deal for $60 so i cancelled his ride in the app but before i was finished it tried to assign me another driver with surge price of $150 no thanks. SNA is 5 miles from my house and never wait or any traffic for pick ups and drop offs. I thinks its worth it even if the flight is $200 more than lax.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Skyscanner...thats insane. United/Alaska to Austin is $294/rt per ticket. $357/394 for delta/alaska to San Antonio...

We never fly in and out of SA...traffic and just a pain in the ass airport to go in/out of. Rental cars are cheaper in Austin most of the time as well.

Skyscanner.com...I use this app constantly and then book based on the flight numbers it spits out.

@Water Romper I never book in advance...usually the night before/day of etc. Sometimes that bites me in the ass..but I usually don't know where I need to be much before that. My BIL got me started using the app and it has saved me a ton of money.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
If you're not a prissy bitch, I've got an old S10 I'll let you borrow for the week in LB....it'll cost you a 12 pack. I can even pick you up at the airport....I live 6000ft from the end of the runway in LB.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I know its a little bit further of a drive once landed, but have you tried flying into Burbank? It seems to be a little larger of an airport I think than John Wayne and seems to have more options of flights. They also have a couple of the new and smaller airlines that fly in and out of there that specialize in smaller airports.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Skyscanner...thats insane. United/Alaska to Austin is $294/rt per ticket. $357/394 for delta/alaska to San Antonio...

We never fly in and out of SA...traffic and just a pain in the ass airport to go in/out of. Rental cars are cheaper in Austin most of the time as well.

Skyscanner.com...I use this app constantly and then book based on the flight numbers it spits out.

@Water Romper I never book in advance...usually the night before/day of etc. Sometimes that bites me in the ass..but I usually don't know where I need to be much before that. My BIL got me started using the app and it has saved me a ton of money.
Thanks for the app info, I'll will look into it.

For us SA is better and closer to our destination and do not have to do the 35 drive to and from AUS.

I did get a SUV for $350 for those days.....lol Also SA car rentals stay open later the AUS if coming in after 10pm.

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Forget the airfare, it's all the other social nonsense that'll get you. No thanks.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I just booked Cleveland OH Monday 11-1 / 11-2 $950.00 out of Ontario

Plans have changed, leveling Cleveland to Cape Coral FL on Tuesday.... Parents just bought a 2 home there, going to meet my dad for the house inspection.

Now just need to get a ticket back to Ontario Thursday before heading to Sac for the day on Friday...

boatpi

Reaction score
To Maui I went airlines has flights nonstop every day out of Long Beach the only way to go. Starting this month I believe her next month Southwest is flying almost everywhere out of Las Vegas including Kawai nonstop from Las Vegas.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
make sure you're incognito searching for flights and booking them in a different browser. its no secret that airline websites will fiddle with the price as you search around and find the one you really want... then suddenly POOF... its $200 more. Go into a new browser tab incognito/private and its back where it was.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I always book a rental car when I make my flight reservations. Before departure, while waiting for the flight at the airport, I check prices again. Most of the time, I get a better rate, and there is no penalty for canceling the higher-priced reservation since you don't pay until pickup. Sometimes this will backfire, but it;s no big deal since I already have a reservation.

I'm an Enterprise/National guy, but was really liking Silvercar pre-pandemic. I've only used Silvercar once since then as they are only in Audi dealerships now, so not as convenient. It's nice getting a fairly new Audi compared to what mystery car you will end up with at normal rental lots.

jadenchick

Reaction score
I wish SNA flew non-stop to more destinations. We are going to Kaua’i in January and I had no choice but to book the flight at LAX. I just hire a car service so we get dropped off in the front. We can usually make it door to door in under an hour to LAX.

I booked a rental car for Hawaii and it was $700 for 4 days, this was using our Avis business account.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I have flown my sister out to so cali from Boise a few times last year, usually about $235

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I fly my family of 5 twice a year. It’s getting expensive 3-4k per year. So we decided to ditch our atm card and got a southwest visa. Atleast one of trips will be covered by points now that we run 5-7k through the card a month lol.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I fly my family of 5 twice a year. It’s getting expensive 3-4k per year. So we decided to ditch our atm card and got a southwest visa. Atleast one of trips will be covered by points now that we run 5-7k through the card a month lol.
As long as you get there with SW. I wouldn’t bother dealing with that airline if flying out of CA. It’s ok within CA

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

Dude.....where have you been? You should always be running everything you can on a rewards card. Even if you don't fly, there are some great cash back cards out there.

With travel baseball we put everything on Marriott Bonvoy now and gave my technician a Delta Amex card.

boatpi

Reaction score
We fly a fair amount, and you are correct fares have gone up, especially long flights to Europe and Asia.

Before Covid a round-trip flight to Singapore business class was about $3300 per person.

It’s currently around $7000,
Per Person!!!

Going to Italy again this year and prices have gone up from last April, but I got a killer deal through Lufthansa out of Las Vegas. It’s about 30% less than LAX.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
My current trip Im on is $1700, flying delta standard seat cause I’m upgraded to comfort plus 90% of the time.

Ontario to Harrisburg PA then to Green Bay WI back to Ontario. There are stops connections in between.

LA is a bit cheaper but getting there is a m’fer and parking is close to $25 day off site.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Dude.....where have you been? You should always be running everything you can on a rewards card. Even if you don't fly, there are some great cash back cards out there.

With travel baseball we put everything on Marriott Bonvoy now and gave my technician a Delta Amex card.

I got into credit card debt back in the day. After paying it off I swore to never use them again.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
We fly a fair amount, and you are correct fares have gone up, especially long flights to Europe and Asia.

Before Covid a round-trip flight to Singapore business class was about $3300 per person.

It’s currently around $7000,
Per Person!!!

Going to Italy again this year and prices have gone up from last April, but I got a killer deal through Lufthansa out of Las Vegas. It’s about 30% less than LAX.
I did the drive from the IE to Vegas flying to Florida in July and saved $1600 for a family of 4. The drive took 40 min longer than going to LAX. Crazy.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
As long as you get there with SW. I wouldn’t bother dealing with that airline if flying out of CA. It’s ok within CA
Never have had a problem knock on wood.

Even made it through Xmas and New Years flights unscathed

dribble

Reaction score
My brother just booked round trip to Spain from Chicago for 600 bucks

Reactions: DWC

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Tahiti is $800 in May. Thinking about it not sure I can do 8 hours in economy.

77charger

Reaction score
I got into credit card debt back in the day. After paying it off I swore to never use them again.
I hear you on that I just paid mine off and going cash only unless I need to absolutely use a card and I’ll continue to pay it when bill comes.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I don't travel much anymore, haven't been on a plane for 20+ years. Went to book a flight and car for a trip to Orange County, CA (Long Beach, John Wayne or...) from little ol' Boise, ID.
Friggin $2300.00 WHAT??? Not first class, a step above baggage would be fine, the car? A cheap ass Hyundai, over two thousand dollars?? talking 5 days for the car.

Guess I'm out of touch with reality. Any RDP inside tips for travel?
Something is off with your numbers. A car for 5 days should be $700 or less. Flights should be $500?

What are the dates, there must be some crazy demand on the dates you are flying