WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Important information - Trailer restoration/upgrading/end of life

Reaction score
I've got a 1985 Hensley Tandem axle trailer w/ 21' Eliminator hull. Trailer needs rebuilt. I want a swing hitch installed, new lights, necessary repairs to fenders, brakes/axles/bearings, paint, detailed, etc....

Trailer has fresh water only, but does show 30 years of over the road wear, and service.

What should I not forget when I'm planning?

After hearing GRADS $60 an axle to launch, I figure I'll stick with the tandem axle set up.

It currently has bar springs with surge brakes (drum style).

Although I've never had an issue with it, the hitch should be looked at.

I want new wiring and underwater LED lighting.

What should I know about owning a 30 year old trailer?

Should I buy new custom trailer? The boat is still worth making the investment to update the trailer.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Please post a couple pictures of the trailer so I can throw you my exact two cents. Overall trailer returns range from about 1000 bucks to 3500 bucks depending on how far you go with it.. Much past that it isn't even worth it. You can get a new trailer in the 4000 range that is pretty nice.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I've got a 1985 Hensley Tandem axle trailer w/ 21' Eliminator hull. Trailer needs rebuilt. I want a swing hitch installed, new lights, necessary repairs to fenders, brakes/axles/bearings, paint, detailed, etc....

Trailer has fresh water only, but does show 30 years of over the road wear, and service.

What should I not forget when I'm planning?

After hearing GRADS $60 an axle to launch, I figure I'll stick with the tandem axle set up.

It currently has bar springs with surge brakes (drum style).

Although I've never had an issue with it, the hitch should be looked at.

I want new wiring and underwater LED lighting.

What should I know about owning a 30 year old trailer?

Should I buy new custom trailer? The boat is still worth making the investment to update the trailer.

I redid the exact trailer when I had my Sport Cruiser. Between the new coupler, bunks, carpet, paint, tires and LED lights I spent $2K. Make sure you get the trailer sand blasted before painting. Bearings, seals and brake service should run you a little under $500 for a double axle.

That trailer will be good as new. That double axle Hensley always towed really nice.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I redid the exact trailer when I had my Sport Cruiser. Between the new coupler, bunks, carpet, paint, tires and LED lights I spent $2K. Make sure you get the trailer sand blasted before painting. Bearings, seals and brake service should run you a little under $500 for a double axle.

That trailer will be good as new. That double axle Hensley always towed really nice.
Where did you get it done at?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

If you are looking to get your trailer redone then call Dustin at Menace Marine in Valencia. It isn't a super long drive from Anaheim and if you get him right after Halloween, it will be done quick and at a good price.