WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

In-home pet sitting question

j-bone

Reaction score
We have a 13 day vacation planned...Bali. We have someone that will house sit and care for 3 Yorkies, 1 indoor cat and and outdoor tortoise. The cat and tortoise require zero interaction. Just keep the cat food topped off and the litter scooped. Tortoise gets some lettuce every other day. The Yorkies on the other hand are spoiled. They would like and occasional walk and lap time. Not to mention breakfast at 8am and dinner at 5 pm.

The woman we have is a friends mother. She is unemployed on Social Security and could use the extra money.

Anyways, she is not to type to set a price and will leave it up to us. However, I have no idea what is fair. I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight as I'm sure many of you leave loved ones (pets) at home while on vacation.

Singleton

Reaction score
Buddies wife runs Dogs on a Run in coastal north county. She charges us $20 per visit to house, plus 10 for every extra animal. So you are looking at 50 a visit and that include a 20 minute walk. So 100 a day. Shit is not cheap.

D19

Reaction score
I pay a dog sitter $25 a day. She usually hangs out at my house for an hour, takes the dog for a walk or to the dog park and sends me pictures of him. She feeds him, checks his water level and picks up the poop so it doesn’t get out of control.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
We pay someone $25 a day to leave our dog at her house.

rrrr

Reaction score
We have a 13 day vacation planned...Bali. We have someone that will house sit and care for 3 Yorkies, 1 indoor cat and and outdoor tortoise. The cat and tortoise require zero interaction. Just keep the cat food topped off and the litter scooped. Tortoise gets some lettuce every other day. The Yorkies on the other hand are spoiled. They would like and occasional walk and lap time. Not to mention breakfast at 8am and dinner at 5 pm.

The woman we have is a friends mother. She is unemployed on Social Security and could use the extra money.

Anyways, she is not to type to set a price and will leave it up to us. However, I have no idea what is fair. I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight as I'm sure many of you leave loved ones (pets) at home while on vacation.

My wife has been petsitting for 18 years. Right now she's doing two weeks of overnights for $50/day, she goes once in the afternoon to let the dogs out, comes back at 9 to feed and let em out, spends the night, then stays until 9 to let them out again before leaving.

Caring for those five pets, including walking them every day, and providing a written journal of the pet's activities while the owner is gone, she said she would charge $60, maybe $70.. She also expects and receives a 15-25% tip. That's cheap, kennels would be over a hundred a day.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

Where are you going? Just came back from Ubud/Jimberan last Friday. We had a 17 day trip and I paid my sister $650 for our two huskies. Check in at lunch, and then spending the night after work. She’s cheap. I spent almost $500 at doggie daycare for a 3 day/2 night stretch earlier in the month.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I’ve heard some horror stories of people boarding their dogs.
Coming back sick, or under weight, one I read recently they were gone 3 weeks. Their dog was at the very end (the most potent time) of being in heat....uhg.
If the dogs are spoiled being boarded will be more traumatic.
I’d pay her generously;)

We are lucky to have my wife’s sister to come stay here.
If he doesn’t know the person well(and in some cases even if he does but we aren’t home?)it wouldn’t be a very pleasant entry experience:D

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
We've paid between $20-30 per day, in some cases they house sit and stay at the house(that's always been a family member).
We've paid $30-35per day for someone to keep the dog at their house but I prefer our pup stays home in familiar surroundings.
When are you going to Bali? We're going late this year.

BONER

Reaction score

I pay my Pet Sitter $13 per visit. She stops by 3 times a day.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
We pay $100/day to leave one dog at "Aunt Robin's", who my wife met by asking for a pet sitter on FB. It's been perfect, but he stays with her the whole time.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
We have someone stay with ours so they pet and house sit. They always do it for 40.00 to 50.00 per day and they come and go and spend the night each night. They always tell us that it is like going in vacation when they come to our house as they have a pool, spa, TVs everywhere and play with the dogs. We always leave them a beverage of choice before we leave and tell them to eat anything they want plus we always tip them too.

jetur

Reaction score
Sorry, Im no help on this one. But I have a funny story. Neighbor friends went to Australia for two weeks and asked us to watch/ feed / water their Golden Retriever and Saint Bernard. I go over about three times a day and let them out, Feed Water, ect. I took care of the water and food while they were outside doing their duties and playing around. They had no kids so these dogs ate like humans, chicken, beef, rice, warmed up ect. Very well taken care of. No money exchanged on the deal just doing a friend a favor. Two weeks goes by and they return. Its really weird because they don't come over right away, about an hour passes and my buddy Mike is hauling carpet out of the house. I'm thinking the house flooded. Nope the Golden Retriever shit in the corner of the master the whole time they were gone. I thought it smelled a little bit like dirty dog as time progressed but I don't have inside pets so all homes that have them smell a little weird to me. But by no means did it smell like dogshit. They come over all long faced about three hours after they got home. Mike being a police officer immediately starts asking me questions. Did you go out of town while we were gone? ect… The moral of the story is they haven't asked me to dogsit again in 10 years.

Cdog

Reaction score
Anyone in Scottsdale pet sit? Leaving to Europe and hate to leave him in a kennel.

154171E0-9599-4E8A-A554-A57CCA228889.jpeg

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
I need to raise my prices a lot

j-bone

Reaction score
Where are you going? Just came back from Ubud/Jimberan last Friday. We had a 17 day trip and I paid my sister $650 for our two huskies. Check in at lunch, and then spending the night after work. She’s cheap. I spent almost $500 at doggie daycare for a 3 day/2 night stretch earlier in the month.
Southern Bali. We are staying in a VRBO villa. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Vacatio...Green_ty-Ungasan_Nusa_Dua_Peninsula_Bali.html It's close to Uluatu. Gonna surf every morning.

j-bone

Reaction score
Thank you all for your input. When discussing this with long time friends, they said their teenage daughters would be happy to take care of them. They will show up at 5pm and feed them dinner. They will spend the night and can leave for the day after they give breakfast around 8am. They can even have a couple friends over with their parent's permission. Going to pay $500. Not bad for teenagers. I feel good about them doing this too.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Southern Bali. We are staying in a VRBO villa. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Vacatio...Green_ty-Ungasan_Nusa_Dua_Peninsula_Bali.html It's close to Uluatu. Gonna surf every morning.
Very nice. I was talking to a couple coworkers and now is the time to be down there. Apparently there was a competition while I was down there, which is why I saw so many people with boards in the airport. I'll definitely be heading back in the future and spending more time in Jimbaran and seeing what Uluwatu is like. Have fun

caribbean20

Reaction score
We pay $100/day for a woman to stay at our house. She is retired. We have 3 Westies.