WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

In Honor Of Jim Cole's Memory.......Let's See Your COLE

oldschool

Reaction score
Man, some beautiful boats. I love the lines of Coles. My Hallett cruiser was converted to an open bow and re gelled at Cole, so I guess it's a Collett. 100_0940.JPG

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Pictures won't do these boats justice. They have some of the nicest lines and are some of the best performing boats on the water, so in honor of Jim Cole's memory lets see your Cole Boat (s)

This boat has been in my life since I was born. In 1982 when my dad found out my mom was pregnant with me, he promptly sold his Haskell Jet Boat and bought this 1982 Cole Mini Cruiser. An much quieter outboard and more room for all the extra gear he would be bringing along, once I was brought into this world.

I seriously love this boat and hope that my dad will pass it down to me one day, it is an amazing piece of craftsmanship and still gets a :thumbup: everywhere we go, to this day. RIP Jim.

Our Cole in 2013 with the original 175 Black Max, chilling in Speed Ally

View attachment 380289

Our Cole in 2014 with its new 200 Optimax, on Havasu

View attachment 380288

Timeless!

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
Pictures won't do these boats justice. They have some of the nicest lines and are some of the best performing boats on the water, so in honor of Jim Cole's memory lets see your Cole Boat (s)

This boat has been in my life since I was born. In 1982 when my dad found out my mom was pregnant with me, he promptly sold his Haskell Jet Boat and bought this 1982 Cole Mini Cruiser. An much quieter outboard and more room for all the extra gear he would be bringing along, once I was brought into this world.

I seriously love this boat and hope that my dad will pass it down to me one day, it is an amazing piece of craftsmanship and still gets a :thumbup: everywhere we go, to this day. RIP Jim.

Our Cole in 2013 with the original 175 Black Max, chilling in Speed Ally

View attachment 380289

Our Cole in 2014 with its new 200 Optimax, on Havasu

View attachment 380288
mix in a tan Bro!

Taboma

Reaction score
To really appreciate the whole "Cole" experience was to have Jim build you one, or two as in my case.
Going through it once is a real character builder, going back a 2nd time, well that simply means you're either to stupid to help, or you're obsession with boats is an incurable illness.
I did however find the group sessions helpful, but I think I should have started after build # 1 :p

Cole Brewed

Reaction score
Paul would appreciate it if you'd spell his name "Pfaff" , unless of course you had some guy named Phaff build yours :p
Sweet ride, is it an I/O ?
Thank you for pointing out the correction, just edited. Yes I/O.

Taboma

Reaction score
Thank you for pointing out the correction, just edited. Yes I/O.
I'm sure you're going to enjoy it
thumbs up.png
I"ve got the Pfaff 565/700 with a lot of Max Machine works Bravo upgrades and haven't had any drive issues. But unless I'm pulling up a skier, I'm gentle rolling it up on plane and don't power it hard in turns. That engine produces a lot of torque, certainly enough to damage a Bravo if you're trying. It will cruise effortlessly all day at 60 with good economy, but pushed, that big holley with the secondaries dumping can drain those two tanks just as effortlessly :eek:

1cole280S

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of somebody putting together a COLE boat Regatta ??

1cole280S

Reaction score
It would be nice to see The amount of interest this would bring with other Cole boat owners…
And now will sit back and see if anyone else chimes in ...
Anyone else interested?????

bagged97taco

Reaction score
It would be nice to see The amount of interest this would bring with other Cole boat owners…
And now will sit back and see if anyone else chimes in ...
Anyone else interested?????
Go to a Njba or Lucas race and it’s a mini Cole regatta. But all flats and hydros

1cole280S

Reaction score
Nice I’ll go take a look.
It would be nice to see one put together so everybody can see the full spectrum of talent from the legend !!!!!

1cole280S

Reaction score
Was not successful in locating anything have a link to follow by chance ?

Cole Brewed

Reaction score
I'm sure you're going to enjoy it View attachment 666005 I"ve got the Pfaff 565/700 with a lot of Max Machine works Bravo upgrades and haven't had any drive issues. But unless I'm pulling up a skier, I'm gentle rolling it up on plane and don't power it hard in turns. That engine produces a lot of torque, certainly enough to damage a Bravo if you're trying. It will cruise effortlessly all day at 60 with good economy, but pushed, that big holley with the secondaries dumping can drain those two tanks just as effortlessly :eek:
I’m looking for some prop size advice, What prop size do you run or tried and which do you prefer for cruising and which for go fast?

cole_skier

Reaction score
We really should try to do a regatta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
The Cole 250 has to be one the cleanest hulls around. Where is the mold for the 250 these days?

cole_skier

Reaction score
I would cover it if someone put one together.. Always loved Coles! One of my favorite boats!

I have never put one together but would be more than willing to be part a a group to put it together. Dave would you be willing to give me some pointers?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have never put one together but would be more than willing to be part a a group to put it together. Dave would you be willing to give me some pointers?

Yes no problem.. :). I have done a few events before and while it’s a lot of work it isn’t rocket science to pull it off. It depends on how official you want to do it. Gathering of boats? Or full on dinner etc?

milkmoney

Reaction score

Hey Tim. I would get a hold of hammer ( mike) , maybe after halletts in havasu or the off season , I am sure Mike would have done great pointers
[emoji106] [emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cole_skier

Reaction score
Hey Tim. I would get a hold of hammer ( mike) , maybe after halletts in havasu or the off season , I am sure Mike would have done great pointers
[emoji106] [emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That would be great. Thanks

1cole280S

Reaction score
Not sure how all this works but I would really like to see it all come together. I have never been involved in putting on any kind of an event but I am all ways willing to help in any way I can!!!

COLE Regatta. This will make one hell of a boat show!!!!!:)

Taboma

Reaction score
I’m looking for some prop size advice, What prop size do you run or tried and which do you prefer for cruising and which for go fast?

Sorry to say but all my Prop notes are at Havasu. Keep in mind, my prop testing was done in 99', with many more options available now. I tried a lot of props and sizes, even tried going from the 1:50 to 1:32, nope, back to 1:50 we went.
The prop on it now is a decent overall prop. 4 blade Bravo re-pitched to (I believe -- been awhile) 27", but it's been cupped (Which now I read creates more stern lift, which I was trying to eliminate). I'm not even sure what the diameter is now after being reworked a few times. Sitting here 300 miles from the lake, I can't recall about the diffuser ring or vent holes.
I'm convinced that the best top end prop (And possibly overall) for that hull is a 4 blade that will carry the bow like a 3 blade Mirage. Do they now make one ?? I never found one, so I settled with the 4 blade Bravo because it did most everything else best and didn't blow out like the Mirages I tried to run.

I'll be looking forward to what others say and what you discover :) Like you, I've got the short Bennett tabs, I'd recommend upgrading to longer tabs before seriously chasing the big number.

Cole Brewed

Reaction score
Thank you for reply. I too have 1:50, I tried a Bravo one 15” 4 blade 26 p yesterday. Huge difference out of the hole but way to much water lice on the river to look to the go fast. My current prop is 4 blade 14.5 26p no other identifying information on it. Thanks again.

Taboma

Reaction score
Thank you for reply. I too have 1:50, I tried a Bravo one 15” 4 blade 26 p yesterday. Huge difference out of the hole but way to much water lice on the river to look to the go fast. My current prop is 4 blade 14.5 26p no other identifying information on it. Thanks again.

Paul Pfaffs word of advise to me was --- best to not run it over 6K. Jim set these boats up with a low X dimension for general purpose use and pulling skiers. With the right prop, long tabs and a 2" shorty drive, you'll get bigger numbers, but probably sacrifice other recreational abilities.
I wasn't willing to do that and had to slap myself as a reminder of my original build goals.
I wanted to yank up a skier, cruise at 60 on the primaries and enjoy the blazing acceleration, that I did achieve.
Then I wanted to go 90 + and discovered although the engine was willing, other changes would be required, expensive changes and I'd probably sacrifice my other goals. Not saying you can't have it all, it's how much you want to spend to get there, LOL :eek:

I think the frustrating part is always feeling "Hasn't anybody else done this before me, somebody somewhere must know the secrets ?" Unfortunately, I'm not your man ;)

Well that and the day my trusty Co-Pilot (AKA long time wife :p) tossed me the handheld GPS, notepad and pen and stated "I QUIT". It might have been the rather scary chine walk (No worries, I recovered), or the fact she had no way to hold on with all this shit on her lap, or perhaps both ?? :confused: After that day, we just went for boat rides, no more prop testing rides :rolleyes: Peace returned to the valley, LOL :)

Not sure if your Bravo drive has been upgraded, my internals are all Max Machine works upgrades (Bearings and gears). Those 565's are torque monsters, they can easily hurt a stock Bravo if not driven with a degree of respect. Unless I'm pulling up a big boy skier, I don't do hole shots, I roll it over easy then get after it. I don't do power turns, I treat the drive like it is, the weaker link.
So get out there and make some calls to the various prop shops and somebody like Premier, or maybe Nordic ? Find a 4 Blade that's designed to carry the bow and not lift the stern. AND BE CAREFUL or you'll piss off your Co-Pilot, LOL :D

cole_skier

Reaction score
what does everyone want out of a Cole regatta?
Dinner?
Cocktail Party?
Lunch Run?
T Shirts?
Block of rooms?
I have never done something like this but would be willing to try and put something together, What are everyone's thoughts?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Sorry to say but all my Prop notes are at Havasu. Keep in mind, my prop testing was done in 99', with many more options available now. I tried a lot of props and sizes, even tried going from the 1:50 to 1:32, nope, back to 1:50 we went.
The prop on it now is a decent overall prop. 4 blade Bravo re-pitched to (I believe -- been awhile) 27", but it's been cupped (Which now I read creates more stern lift, which I was trying to eliminate). I'm not even sure what the diameter is now after being reworked a few times. Sitting here 300 miles from the lake, I can't recall about the diffuser ring or vent holes.
I'm convinced that the best top end prop (And possibly overall) for that hull is a 4 blade that will carry the bow like a 3 blade Mirage. Do they now make one ?? I never found one, so I settled with the 4 blade Bravo because it did most everything else best and didn't blow out like the Mirages I tried to run.

I'll be looking forward to what others say and what you discover :) Like you, I've got the short Bennett tabs, I'd recommend upgrading to longer tabs before seriously chasing the big number.

Adding cup will generally add pitch and reduce stern lift.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dinner?
Cocktail Party?
Lunch Run?
T Shirts?
Block of rooms?
I have never done something like this but would be willing to try and put something together, What are everyone's thoughts?

With Cole’s brings a ton of flat bottoms and even hydros with it. Keep that in mind when planning the event.

Taboma

Reaction score
Adding cup will generally add pitch and reduce stern lift.
I certainly can't argue that point, in fact the point for the cupping initially. I also can't say it increased stern lift, if it did create more bow lift, it wasn't perceivable.
Then as you stated, I read where more rake and cupping should create more bow lift, then read a couple of articles claiming stern lift (Scream and Fly perhaps ?) --- although that may have been a different prop design. I do know there's a lot of very theoretical articles on the topic, so for years I've been biding my time waiting for somebody else with deeper pockets and a Cole NH to step forward and say --- Yup, this ONE works killer :D
So next time you're tossing back a beer with Hawk owner, see what you can learn, please :)

1cole280S

Reaction score
Dinner?
Cocktail Party?
Lunch Run?
T Shirts?
Block of rooms?
I would definitely say T shirts for sure!!!

Schiadawhat

Reaction score
1A07B746-C924-45DB-B274-F717F10653B8.png
3E3653B3-BF69-46AE-947A-0C6A9BC3D2ED.png
1A07B746-C924-45DB-B274-F717F10653B8.png
3E3653B3-BF69-46AE-947A-0C6A9BC3D2ED.png
My dad and I would love to see a Cole regatta! We usually attend the schiada regatta with my 22’ schiada v drive and he seems to get more attention with his 22’ night hawk with the massive 650ci boost power motor. Parker has all he ammenitys and works really well for all boats, family ect..