WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

in the market for a new lawn mower....

Cray Paper

Reaction score
The Honda I bought 13 years ago is showing it's age, deck has several rust holes in it, it smokes a little when starting and the bag feels like it's ready to give up the ghost. It's been dead reliable, starts on the 1st or 2nd pull every time, even after 6 months of winter.

I don't mind spending the money on another Honda if it lasts as long as this one, but what else is out their?

My yard has about 7000sq' of grass, some on sloped terrain. I bag all clippings so a large bag is better.

Any recommendations?

I replaced the weed eater last month with a 250 dollar model 2 stroke Husqvarna from Lowes and am struggling with the small shield and counter clockwise spinning cutter. For the life of me I cant keep from being pelted by shit, the TORO POS spun the other direction and worked perfectly for a right handed operator. Small things like this make a big difference.

havasu5150

Reaction score
You can get Honda power on some of the well known brands. I've owned 2 lawn Boys for the last 30 years....each lasted well. The first one I owned I bought second hand, used it for 12 years, the second lasted over 15. Couldn't find one again locally so went with a Toro. so far so good.

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
Get a Honda with a mulching blade. :finger bagging that shit....
That's how I roll (mow). :D
Your grass will love you for all the nutrients.

69 1/2

Reaction score
I had a lawn boy two-stroke for 21 years. It was fantastic. Now I have a Honda with a plastic deck, it is even better and I expect it to last at least 20 years. John Deere stopped making their own mowers and now all of their dealers sell Hondas as directed by Deere corporate.

TLAW719

Reaction score
If you have any interest in a used one, my gf has a Honda she's willing to sell.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
The Honda I bought 13 years ago is showing it's age, deck has several rust holes in it, it smokes a little when starting and the bag feels like it's ready to give up the ghost. It's been dead reliable, starts on the 1st or 2nd pull every time, even after 6 months of winter.

I don't mind spending the money on another Honda if it lasts as long as this one, but what else is out their?

My yard has about 7000sq' of grass, some on sloped terrain. I bag all clippings so a large bag is better.

Any recommendations?

I replaced the weed eater last month with a 250 dollar model 2 stroke Husqvarna from Lowes and am struggling with the small shield and counter clockwise spinning cutter. For the life of me I cant keep from being pelted by shit, the TORO POS spun the other direction and worked perfectly for a right handed operator. Small things like this make a big difference.

Weld the holes up and add a bit of oil every few years.

I have a 40 year old snapper Hi vac with the original Briggs 'n Scrap-iron...recoil starter shit the bed years ago so I machined an adapter for my battery drill to start it. Works bitchin'. I bought used newer craftsman mower with a Honda and it sucks. My dad has a Honda commercial mower and my old snapper will mow circles around it.

New mowers for CA have to be emissions compliant, which means they mostly suck.

Sawtooth

Thanks for everything Dad
Reaction score
I've had my Honda Harmony II for about 16+ years and two weeks ago I ordered a bunch of new parts from Amazon to bring her back to showroom condition :D. I bought new front and rear wheels/tires, new recoil starter, new bag, and all new cables. Everything is original Honda parts with the factory markings and not some knock off crap. Cleaned the air filter, changed the oil, simple greened it all down, psi washed it all and even gave it a quick spray wax. All pimped out and good to go for another 15 years.

cnj

Reaction score
Stay away from anything that has a Tecumseh engine. Years ago, I did a bunch of research on the current Tecumseh vs Briggs & Stratton engines, and bought a Toro with the Tecumseh due to the pressurised oiling system vs the Briggs"splash" type system. Damn thing shit the bed after 3 years.......took several pulls to start and spit out a ton of blue smoke when it finally did. Never had a Honda, but I understand the industrial ones with the OHV set up are far better than the newer OHC mowers.

Reaction score
I gave my honda away, it was Rear wheel drive. since most mowers are front wheel drive when you change directions you just lift front wheels and pivot lawn mower, well don't try it with rear wheel drive. I got the honda free so didn't mind giving it away.

hallett21

Reaction score
Can’t believe I’m partaking in a lawn mower thread lol. I’ve got about 500sqft in the front and will
Have about 1000 sqft in the back yard. Deciding between a Gardner and buying the mower. Any particular Honda models you guys suggest? The electric start seems trick, or is that something thats going to break in 5 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby dmax

Reaction score
I bought mine from home Depot $599 just a Honda mower with drive..no ele start one pull and she running.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Can’t believe I’m partaking in a lawn mower thread lol. I’ve got about 500sqft in the front and will
Have about 1000 sqft in the back yard. Deciding between a Gardner and buying the mower. Any particular Honda models you guys suggest? The electric start seems trick, or is that something thats going to break in 5 years?

That's very little grass. buy a used mower on Craigslist and use only non-ethanol fuel (I bring 5 gallons home from Parker Oil and it runs my mower all year). You'll never wear anything out mowing 1500sq/ft every week or 3

UltraLucky

Reaction score

If you put in SOD lawn will stay weed free longer if you mow it yourself. No need for the electric start if you get a decent mower.

4Waters

Reaction score
I've got a murry with a Briggs and Stratton that's 20 years old and still starts on the first pull.

hallett21

Reaction score
I got a nice Honda. Runs great. Then I got a gardener. I like more gardener more than my Honda.

The only thing holding me up is that I’ve heard the gardner’s mower working over 100 lawns means I’m getting crap in my lawn eventually.

I tore out our front and back yard. Ran enough conduit, gas line, water & LV to run a small building. I don’t wanna come up short on the finish product lol

Last edited:

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Many OPE companies use the Honda motor. I've noticed some of the bare bones with the Honda motor for under $350. For that small of a lawn I would not get a self driven unit. The motor and deck always outlast the drive unit.

I will also add, For the right yard the Robot mowers are becoming more popular.
I see many out there doing their job. Pretty damn cool. Our city uses them.

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
Many OPE companies use the Honda motor. I've noticed some of the bare bones with the Honda motor for under $350. For that small of a lawn I would not get a self driven unit. The motor and deck always outlast the drive unit.

This is RDP. I’m either getting the F450 platinum of mowers or I’m tearing out my lawn [emoji6]

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
What ever you do don’t buy a POS Poulen pro 42” POSHIT the next time this POS breaks I go to the dump and have them run over it with a sheep’s foot dozer and utube it

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
You can get Honda power on some of the well known brands. I've owned 2 lawn Boys for the last 30 years....each lasted well. The first one I owned I bought second hand, used it for 12 years, the second lasted over 15. Couldn't find one again locally so went with a Toro. so far so good.

I love my 2-stroke Lawn Boy. 20+ years old and works like it was new. Only using it to trim the tight spots where the rider won't go, but it's relaible and maintainence free.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
E730BF68-3F23-424F-B4C4-C94D8478DDDF.jpeg

Honda. 13 years and looks/runs like new, except for bald ‘tires’. Change oil/spark plug/filter every Spring.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I gave my 3 year old Honda powered Toro to my father and hired a Gardner. 4 years ago I fired the Gardner and bought another Toro. I didn’t even think to check the engine when I bought the new Toro, I just assumed all Toro’s have Honda’s. It turned out my electric start, self pace powered mower that I dropped over $500 on had a B&S.

This has been my 4th summer with and it’s been solid. It always starts on the first pull, I can’t find the charger cord for the battery so I’ve been pulling it start and it works fine.

Next summer I plan to sell it and get a Husky robot to do the work. The mapping for the lawn can be pretty tedious from what I understand and we’ve got a pretty big yard project planned for next summer so I figure we’ll wait.

If you can drop the coin on the robot Husky I’d go that route. Compared to the cost of a Gardner it pays for itself pretty quick and compared to having to mow the lawn on a hot ass day when you could be in the pool... Why mess around with a DIY mower?

FWIW- I already have a robot vacuum and we’re doing the robot mop soon.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I only have about 1000 sq. ft. of grass. My last MTD lasted over 15 years. Had a B&S engine. The day I bought it, I put the supplied oil in it and never changed it. The deck eventually rusted away, but aside from a spark plug and a new pull rope, it always started on the first or second pull.

Not knowing how much longer I want to do my own yard work, my wife bought me a new MTD with a B&S engine. It sucks. It has an 'automatic' choke. Takes 5-10 pulls to get it to start and belches out a cloud of blue smoke when it does finally start. It sounds tinny too. I hope it dies soon so I can hire a gardener.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
What kind of grass? If you have any type of Bermuda they suggest using a reel type mower, I have a McClane I bought from RDjunkie about 5 years ago and I love it.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
I had a Murray for about 10 years ... drove that fucker into the ground. Bought a Husqvarna ... love it.

And this is coming from a beaner that has always done his own yardwork and whose lawn is legit.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I had a Murray for about 10 years ... drove that fucker into the ground. Bought a Husqvarna ... love it.

And this is coming from a beaner that has always done his own yardwork and whose lawn is legit.
How's your lawn in Houston..:)

thedan

Reaction score
Imma buying a 3 axle SchiadaHonda from one of our new posters. Should be here in 2 weeks from customs!

Riley1

Reaction score
I’ve been a big fan of the EGO electric stuff from ACE and the Home Depot I have the mower, weedwacker and chainsaw

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Honda Harmony or the Husky.
I'm the last guy in my neighborhood that still mows his own lawn. I have the nicest lawn because of that. Gardeners bring in Bermuda grass, St Augustine all kinda of flotsam and Jetsam clinging to their mowers that infects your lawn.

I donated a 4WD Husky to my sons school and they love it.

13 years is good for a Honda. That's about right. They aren't as expensive as they use to be. You can now buy them and the warehouse store or online.

What I don't understand is a Honda Generator pull rope is good for 50 pulls before it snaps, a Honda Lawnmower pull rope is still new after 13 years and many, many more pulls.
The Hondas "Deck" are still cockeyed and damfino why after all these years.
Buy from a place with a good return policy, Honda isn't the quality they used to be and a Honda warranty is useless.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I’ve been a big fan of the EGO electric stuff from ACE and the Home Depot I have the mower, weedwacker and chainsaw
Been curious to know how it cuts if grass gets thick.