WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Info on Bend,OR

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
The good, the bad, the ugly? Housing costs? Would definately look to lease something (house) at first, in a wooded area if possible?

How is Mt Bachelor?

Wife and I aren't afraid of winter, we currently work at a ski resort for fun :D

Any info is appreciated! Pm's are fine too.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I have only been there a few times, but it is high desert-ish. resort town. Yellowboat is living there now, so maybe he can answer some questions. I have a buddy from PB that has lived there for a long time. His screen name on PB is Fastvdriver. He should be able to answer any questions.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I've been there as well, but never lived there.

Had a great time when I've been there and seemed like plenty of things to do.
I have a couple friends (3 brothers) who have lived there for many years after leaving Alaska, maybe 15 years?

They love it and will never leave. The are gearheads and have classic cars and boats.

Wish I had more info for you.

2Driver

Reaction score
Been looking there too. Tons of outdoor stuff, decent climate. Homes on the river where you can paddle board to the park for concerts. Kind of Liberal I hear, but what small Mt. town besides Pintetop isn't full of Subaru driving, Birkenstock wearing complainers. :D

We looked at renting this. http://www.vrbo.com/295448

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Mt. Bachelor is a good ski resort. The only bummer part is that it is quite a drive to get there. I haven't been there in over 15 years so maybe there have been some condo's built nearby?

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Housing costs are great compared to ca, house built with in the last ,10 years 100 pet sqft for a tract in great shape. Too ad much ad you want to spend, water bills are high, but power and gas are cheap. If you love to hunt, fish, golf, boat ski you will love it. Tons of snow birds here. The only real down side is employment is hard to come by. Mostof the town is people that bailed out of ca, Portland anf seattle. Winter here is not bad. It is high desert. 30 minutes down the road and watch out.

craiger88

Reaction score
Bend is awesome. As a matter of fact, just got back from there yesterday. My in-laws live there and love it. There is a ton of activities year round. Bend has grown quite a bit over the years (population now about 90,000 I think). Real estate prices skyrocketed a few years back and have come down quite a bit, but are once again edging up. Just like anywhere, the housing market has entry level (think Hayden Homes brand new-under $200K in some areas) subdivision to million dollar homes, ranches, acreage, and everything in between.

As previously mentioned, employment is the tough spot. Tourism related industry, ranch related, some medical and education ( both U of O and Oregon St. have satellite campuses and jr. colleges) seem to be the employment sources.

No sales tax, but property taxes are extremely high. Good luck with your search.

If I could find a position in my line of work, I would be there in a second.

westair

Reaction score
Went there quite a few years ago, loved the place ...it seemed to have it all, clean and beautiful .... a lot to do and mild weather, little rain and plenty of sun.

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
I agree with all said above. My brother lives in Bend and my parents in a little town called Sisters near Bend. I have spent much time there and always miss it when I leave. That said, the microclimate there is awesome, over 300 days of sunshine a year. Lots to do outdoors as well a huge car enthusiast town, tons of muscle car and hot rod type people.

Making a living in Bend can be challenging, lots of pressure on available work whether it be in the trades or professional.... People are awesome and always friendly.

My parents sold their business in So Cal 20 years ago and traveled all over the country looking for their retirement area and Central Oregon was there choice. They could have lived anywhere and this was their place of choice....

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Job wise i'm good, but the wife will need to find something. She's a membership coordinator at a private country club now. My biggest concern is how the skiing is at Mt. Bachelor.

It sounds alot like where we live now in Pinetop,AZ. I guess we are going to make a trip up to check it out.

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
skiing on Mt Bachelor is awesome. It is glacier covered and offers virtual year round skiing. The Olympic ski team used to do much of their training at Bachelor. I have skied most everywhere and Bachelor ranks right up there IMHO. There are better resort themed areas (Vail, Beaver Creek etc) but the actual skiing at Bachelor is among the finest.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
You will love it there for sure. Been there many times had family with a house right on the Dechutes. You can usually ski 4th of July weekend and the drive to Bachelor isn't too bad.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Exactly what i was wanting to hear. I have the same opportunity in Durango,Co but with the thought of skiing in July makes Bend the frontrunner :D

Going to try to make a trip up there in mid March. Yellowboat, i will give you a call once I nail down some dates!

craiger88

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Job wise i'm good, but the wife will need to find something. She's a membership coordinator at a private country club now. My biggest concern is how the skiing is at Mt. Bachelor.

I will echo comments about Bachelor...great place. As a matter of fact, I was at Bachelor over the weekend and had a blast. I don't think the drive is bad at all. Definitely a great place.

As far as country clubs and opportunities, check out Broken Top Club or Awbrey Glen. There is also Sunriver, but that is a bit south of town. There are others, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Good luck!!! I'm jealous.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Again, thanks everyone for the replies. Going to head up next week to check it out and make some turns at bachelor.

Tyler, thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. Too bad you will be out of town! If any other rdp'ers are in the area, let me know if you wanna meet up for a beer or some turns!

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Bachelor rocks...was headed there in three weeks to stay with my buddy Randy. Sad to say, he died yesterday and I will never have the opportunity to hang out with him again. RIP Randy! Sorry to dampen the thread.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
There is a huge Anti-California sentiment in much of Oregon, especially place like Bend where the Greens and the Yuppies have really taken over. However Bend is a great place to be as far as recreation and weather is concerned if you are looking in Oregon. My parents have known a few people from here that moved to OR for retirement and ended up moving back after just a year or two because they encountered so much hostility to folks from Cali who had the bright idea that they would move to OR.

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
There is a huge Anti-California sentiment in much of Oregon, especially place like Bend where the Greens and the Yuppies have really taken over. However Bend is a great place to be as far as recreation and weather is concerned if you are looking in Oregon. My parents have known a few people from here that moved to OR for retirement and ended up moving back after just a year or two because they encountered so much hostility to folks from Cali who had the bright idea that they would move to OR.

I have never experienced this in Central Oregon and most of my family has settled in Bend/Sisters after leaving So Cal years ago. I visit frequently and have never felt any hostility when I say I am from So Cal. My father was asked to be President of his association shortly after he moved from So Cal to Sisters OR.....

I have traveled all over the world and I have found that if you are a down to earth, normal, respectful person you get the same in return from most people.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score

No worries with that, I'm from Pennsylvania. Just been stuck in AZ for awhile :D

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
I have never experienced this in Central Oregon and most of my family has settled in Bend/Sisters after leaving So Cal years ago. I visit frequently and have never felt any hostility when I say I am from So Cal. My father was asked to be President of his association shortly after he moved from So Cal to Sisters OR.....

I have traveled all over the world and I have found that if you are a down to earth, normal, respectful person you get the same in return from most people.

Pretty much with that last statement.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Bachelor rocks...was headed there in three weeks to stay with my buddy Randy. Sad to say, he died yesterday and I will never have the opportunity to hang out with him again. RIP Randy! Sorry to dampen the thread.

Sorry to hear.

Come up in 2 weeks and ski with us!

:D

Yellowboat

Reaction score

Thats funny most of bend is from ca, its pretty conservative. Lots of retired leos here. You will get shit for a ca plate and do not speed with on, the state is 55. You will get a ticket if you have a ca plate

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Sorry to hear.

Come up in 2 weeks and ski with us!

:D

It all depends if my boy makes the Regional Champs or not at Jackson Hole. He's 6 spots out from being top 30, but there is a really good chance he will make it if he pulls it together this weekend at the Cranston Cup. Two races are slalom which is what he is good at.

2013-11-27 19.36.35.jpg 2013-11-27 20.48.03.jpg 1450853_10201051631157218_663927651_n.jpg