WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Input on whos sold pusher and went back to gas or smaller rv?

hawgty55

Reaction score
looking for any input on people who have done this.

Bought a diesel pusher after selling my gas couch and now looking to sale and possibly go to smaller class c.

Any regrets on doing so? Now it feels like a good setup as we like all that it has to offer but not traveling long distance like we have done and not much dry camping just shorter trips in distance and length.

Riley1

Reaction score
looking for any input on people who have done this.

Bought a diesel pusher after selling my gas couch and now looking to sale and possibly go to smaller class c.

Any regrets on doing so? Now it feels like a good setup as we like all that it has to offer but not traveling long distance like we have done and not much dry camping just shorter trips in distance and length.
I have a gasser class C and want to be in a DP or Super C Some day. What kind of rig are you talking about?

hawgty55

Reaction score
I have a gasser class C and want to be in a DP or Super C Some day. What kind of rig are you talking about?
20190305_104725.jpg

hawgty55

Reaction score
I'd like to try the super c as well but would like to be around the same price point I'm in now. And that could be tough.

hawgty55

Reaction score
Damn. I love me a National RV.
but I am not in a situation to buy that one right now. I’d assume 65k or so. Best I coulddo would be 20+ my 05 class C.
GLWTS.
Send me what you have

hawgty55

Reaction score
Also this really isn't a sale add just looking for input either way trading up or down if yall regret it or won't look back

Riley1

Reaction score
I tried to PM but couldn’t figure out how to attach a photo. This was us headed to the lower river run this summer
ECC9A0B7-9B25-4A23-A9E0-615315AFD6EB.jpeg

Riley1

Reaction score
Also this really isn't a sale add just looking for input either way trading up or down if yall regret it or won't look back
I couldn’t imagine down sizing being any easier. Couple feet shorter and way less storage

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I've done it probley 20 times... I hate everything about those big freight shaker rvs,..right now we have the best rv we have ever owned, a 29m hurricane...makes a little noise up steep grades, but never moves the temp gauge... I'd like to down size to the new 7.3 gas 26'r, they have a full wall slide and will tow 10k with ease....pretty much the way I see rv's is you wanna drive there in a 20'r and have a 40 when you stop...

1600613517840.png
1600613517840.png

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
for, I'd like to go back to a smaller rv that can do it all...30' is not too big to launch a boat,... but 24' is better,,..I like the driver and passenger doors and the ease of getting in and out...by the time you hook up the boat or trailer you end up going down the road at over 60' there's a lot of places you can't get in...thats why I did the van, for most of my life I had 22' rvs,... perfect size for me...

hawgty55

Reaction score
No way I'd want to go from a DP to gas. I found the perfect DP for my needs. So quiet, smooth, great handling, and reliable.

The chassis makes all the difference.
What chassis?

boatnam2

Reaction score
No way I'd want to go from a DP to gas. I found the perfect DP for my needs. So quiet, smooth, great handling, and reliable.

The chassis makes all the difference.
Yea what is it?

hawgty55

Reaction score
well I guess I'll have to see what I get. Deal pending. And so far I'm with rcdave this was on a Freightliner chassis and it kicked ass best one ive had

RCDave

Reaction score
I have a 2009 tiffin allegro bus on a powerglide chassis. Side radiator, independent front suspension, disc brakes, 8.9l Cummins, 36' long!

Groper

Reaction score
I have a 2009 tiffin allegro bus on a powerglide chassis. Side radiator, independent front suspension, disc brakes, 8.9l Cummins, 36' long!
Theses are sweet ^^^^^ I went from a 40' Super C to a 33' (tol 35") Tiffin DP and with the 4 slides out it has a larger floor plan than the Super C. My Accountant went down to a Dodge/Mercedes mini RV and loves it and getting 11-13mpg though as far as dry camping their tanks are very small he told me it was good for about 2-3 days before dumping/refill water tank which is fine for him as he's older than Steve.
The best benefit with the smaller RV's 25' or less you can get into a on of campsites and parks.

RCDave

Reaction score
Theses are sweet ^^^^^ I went from a 40' Super C to a 33' (tol 35") Tiffin DP and with the 4 slides out it has a larger floor plan than the Super C. My Accountant went down to a Dodge/Mercedes mini RV and loves it and getting 11-13mpg though as far as dry camping their tanks are very small he told me it was good for about 2-3 days before dumping/refill water tank which is fine for him as he's older than Steve.
The best benefit with the smaller RV's 25' or less you can get into a on of campsites and parks.
I had a 35 phaeton on a freightliner chassis with a rear radiator.

The powerglide chassis is in a whole different league! The freightliner rode very harsh and was white knuckle driving. Powerglide a few fingers on the wheel!

Last edited:

Groper

Reaction score
I had a 35 phaeton on a freightliner chassis with a rear radiator.

The powerglide chassis is in a whole different league! The freightliner rode very harsh and was white knuckle driving. Powerglide a fingers on the wheel!
It can be sometimes BUT there are suspension components available that eliminated those issues I'll be doing those mods here pretty soon.

RCDave

Reaction score
It can be sometimes BUT there are suspension components available that eliminated those issues I'll be doing those mods here pretty soon.
My response was more in line with 2FFs comment about freightliner chassis. And freightlner makes many levels of chassis from low end to high

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
aare you doing the neway air valves?

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I went from a pusher to fifth wheel back to a class C. This fucker is legit fun. I can whip it into anywhere and love the piss outta it.

Only a diesel class C is in the cards next. Having a pusher I realized how easily I could die with no crumple impact zone.

IMG_1956.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
I went from a pusher to fifth wheel back to a class C. This fucker is legit fun. I can whip it into anywhere and love the piss outta it.

Only a diesel class C is in the cards next. Having a pusher I realized how easily I could die with no crumple impact zone.

View attachment 924234

That's nice, would you mind sharing a bit of info about it ? Thanks

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
for us, when we go out,... we spend the day out side and just go in to sleep, just the 2 of us, my kids have their own rv's...cooling the big rv's is a problem in the summer...I have the same 2 a/cs in my 29'r that are in the 38'rs....they struggle till the sun goes down, and ditto that to heat them..

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I think this one would be perfect for what we do, should go down the road nice, the new 7.3 is having problems I heard so maybe need to wait till they get the bugs out....for me, I could use it just fine without the pop out as One person can sleep nice on the over head sleeper,... then when we go for a few days use the pop out with the queen bed...

1600634362262.png
1600634362262.png

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

View attachment 924234
If I do end up going the RV route, that is the rig right there! Having 4 kids the bunks are a necessity.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I can't keep my 454 under 70mph in OD with the full Banks upgrade, temp stays under 200° in all driving conditions on my autometer gauge I installed for peace of mind. Only downside is the doghouse heat but whatever I fire up the genny and basement AC

Reaction score

mind if I ask your length ? of the RV that is...

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
That's nice, would you mind sharing a bit of info about it ? Thanks

mind if I ask your length ? of the RV that is...

It’s a Jayco Greyhawk 31F (31’). I went from a 41’ fifth wheel to this 31’ and the motorhome feels roomier.

Only thing I’ve needed to adjust to is not having the tow vehicle but it hasn’t been a problem yet.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
If I do end up going the RV route, that is the rig right there! Having 4 kids the bunks are a necessity.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

The bunks have been great with the kids. They each have their own tv in them so no arguing over what they’re watching lol

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
here's what i've found, the bigger the rv, the less we use it.. we started with a 22 jamboree, we used it for every thing, launch boat, tow rig, second car,.. as years went, we ended up with a 40' pusher, the thing never got used..and the story goes on...we have a 30'r now ... it just sits... I took it on a run to havasu, wish I would have tak'n my camper van.. for me ... I'd like the van a little bigger and the rv a little smaller..as far as kids go. get them each a sleeping bag... they like the sleep over feel and will sleeep on the floor if you will let them...we used to take 6 in our little 22'r...with no pop out..i see family 's of 5 sleeping in the truck at rest stops towing a 40' toy hauler...

if going full time bigger the better..and tow a nice toad

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
here's what i've found, the bigger the rv, the less we use it.. we started with a 22 jamboree, we used it for every thing, launch boat, tow rig, second car,.. as years went, we ended up with a 40' pusher, the thing never got used..and the story goes on...we have a 30'r now ... it just sits... I took it on a run to havasu, wish I would have tak'n my camper van.. for me ... I'd like the van a little bigger and the rv a little smaller..as far as kids go. get them each a sleeping bag... they like the sleep over feel and will sleeep on the floor if you will let them...we used to take 6 in our little 22'r...with no pop out..i see family 's of 5 sleeping in the truck at rest stops towing a 40' toy hauler...

if going full time bigger the better..and tow a nice toad
I'll have to disagree with you a little bit there Steve. At least just on where the kids like to sleep. I was raised going camping in RV's. We went from a Apache hard side pop-up to a 10.5" Dolphin camper (5 of us in that thing) to a 21' toy hauler (before they had beds that raised and lowered in the rear) to a 30' 5th wheel toy hauler. That was the same for all my cousins and many family friends with kids around my age. Not a single one of us slept on the floor, nor did we ever want to. It was offered to us plenty of times but I don't recall a single one of us taking anybody up on that. Plus, nothing better than drunk parents coming in late at night or getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and forgetting a kid is on the floor.....

Reaction score
It’s a Jayco Greyhawk 31F (31’). I went from a 41’ fifth wheel to this 31’ and the motorhome feels roomier.
Only thing I’ve needed to adjust to is not having the tow vehicle but it hasn’t been a problem yet.

how does your RV handel ? I have a 31' forest river I've installed Sumo Springs bump stops Front & Rear, Hellwig Sway Bars Front & Rear, Bilstein HD shocks front & rear, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, alignment set to +5 caster. all this so it goes somewhat where I'm pointing it......

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Me 😂
As much as I like having the PAV, I want to get into something under 30’. Something like this older 05 with a fiberglass cap, full bay doors....etc etc etc

3305D149-1DB6-4A1D-B08C-E847ABF9AAB0.png

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
how does your RV handel ? I have a 31' forest river I've installed Sumo Springs bump stops Front & Rear, Hellwig Sway Bars Front & Rear, Bilstein HD shocks front & rear, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, alignment set to +5 caster. all this so it goes somewhat where I'm pointing it......

I have a Forest River FR3 30DS and sometimes it feels like the steering shaft is a pool noodle. Which of the above modifications had the best effect?

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

It was a shit show when I first drove it but knew the drivability issues with these motorhomes before I purchased it.

Immediately ordered Hellwig sway bar, Roadmaster steering stabilizer, Bilsteins and Sumo Springs.

Haven’t done the alignment yet as it now drives amazing. I might do that in the next few months and add caster.

Reaction score
I have a Forest River FR3 30DS and sometimes it feels like the steering shaft is a pool noodle. Which of the above modifications had the best effect?

I did them all separately so it was a little better, then a little better. the one I noticed the most improvement was the alignment to +5 caster. and as luck would have it I did the alignment Last.......

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I did them all separately so it was a little better, then a little better. the one I noticed the most improvement was the alignment to +5 caster. and as luck would have it I did the alignment Last.......

After having many work vans I can say that the best bet for driveability would like be to either ditch the I-beam front suspension, or go to a swing set steering. The factory Ford linkage has such bad geometry that it pulls the tires throughout the suspension cycle. Its usually ok for most driving because most movement is small enough that it isn't really noticed. But when you have a high CG vehicle with a lot of cross sectional area EVERYTHING makes the steering move. All the other "fixes" are just addressing the symptoms. Not the cause.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
42’ DP, NO gasser is gonna ride as nice as these heavy pigs. Almost 2k miles into a 3200 mile trip. Just did 7.5 hrs on the road today. Thing is a pleasure to drive.. One handed driving while eating a sandwich and chips the wife just made for lunch.
60C7F152-DBDA-4FC8-99DD-07D96D20017B.jpeg
9EBDDFD0-BF3C-4894-A6D6-BEFBD2EC73A9.jpeg

Flaming gorge tonight then on to moab tomorrow.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
Those with a smaller RV, how do they cool down with just one AC? Is it okay, bearable, or do they work surprisingly well?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Those with a smaller RV, how do they cool down with just one AC? Is it okay, bearable, or do they work surprisingly well?
horrible, you get over 22-24' you need 2..with my 30'r acouple weeks ago, 112 out side, 103 in side with the one ac, I only had 30 amp power so I unplugged and ran the gen till the sun went down

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
42’ DP, NO gasser is gonna ride as nice as these heavy pigs. Almost 2k miles into a 3200 mile trip. Just did 7.5 hrs on the road today. Thing is a pleasure to drive.. One handed driving while eating a sandwich and chips the wife just made for lunch. View attachment 925075 View attachment 925076
Flaming gorge tonight then on to moab tomorrow.
you guys with the spartan chassis and such have true bragging rights,,, and tell the truth...jump in a freight shaker with 300 hp and give your thoughts....lol

oh and , nice coach, that must be a dream ride floating down the highway..

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

thats also one of my first things to do, I go to arrow in vegas...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I couldn’t imagine down sizing being any easier. Couple feet shorter and way less storage
the big thing is the wheel base when trying to launch the boat, you need the whole ramp to make a 10 point turn round to get the boat in the water, you become about as welcome as a wake surf boat at parker