WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Installing an Hour Meter - Mercury

Sbarry

Reaction score
Should I pay a shop to install an hour meter on a new outboard, or try to figure it myself? YouTube videos make it look simple enough. Anyone done it before?

Justfishing

Reaction score
What do you have for electronics. If you have a digital package it should be a matter of looking through menus. Chart plotters and fish finders have the capability if you have everything tied together through NEMA.

Sbarry

Reaction score
What do you have for electronics. If you have a digital package it should be a matter of looking through menus. Chart plotters and fish finders have the capability if you have everything tied together through NEMA.

Have no electronics currently, and wasn't planning to have any. It will be for a 90 ELPT Command Thrust

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I'm guessing something like this is easy enough, no??

Yep that's the easiest route. I have one of these on my standup. If you're going for a traditional hour meter, you just have to splice the positive lead into the purple wire coming out of the key switch and find a good ground nearby. They also have many tach meters that have built in hour meters where it is a drop in replacement with no additional wiring needed presuming you have traditional analog gauges

https://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Inductive-Marine-Motorcycle-Waterproof/dp/B00A43PKOE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1524512187&sr=8-3&keywords=hour+meter+for+outboard+motor&dpID=41kqI%2BNf%2BLL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Says you just loop it around one of the spark plug wires. "Inductive"

Sbarry

Reaction score

Yup... did this from day one. Kept notes of use on my phone. Compared after a few weeks, and the notes and meter matched pretty well.