WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

installing stern drive in an outboard boat

stupidbaker57

Reaction score
I've started a new project (I get bored easy). I want to put in an alpha drive in a 16 foot Carlson cvx. I have the boat all carved up and redesigned and while it's at this point, I'd like to know how high to mount the drive. I know that the cav plate should be at the bottom edge of the hull,,,,,,but the outboards run higher up to where the props center line is even with the bottom. The Carson Intruder has it's drive a bit higher,,,,,but how high is good and how high is too high? I got the complete alpha less engine for $250. I already have a SBC 355 in the shop, and the boat was free, so I'm still ahead of the game.

stupidbaker57

Reaction score
Stringers and keel were redesigned and then floors went in. After building up the transom,,,in went the engine. Ya Ya Ya, I know,, there's only one exhaust header,,,,but after all,,this is for the set-up to see how DSCF0001.jpg DSCF0012.jpg DSCF0017.jpg DSCF0018.jpg everything is gonna work out. So far so good.

stupidbaker57

Reaction score
I changed a few things lately, Those headrest flairs are gone along with the headers. I cut the swap meet headers up and made them into zoomies. My v drive is a little loud so,,,,,I built some baffles for the zoomies. (they're removable ha ha ha ha ) Chrome tips are from Ebay. Still under budget with this,,,,,,but getting close to my max of $1000. DSCF0001.jpg DSCF0002.jpg

hallett21

Reaction score
How much thicker did you make the transom?

Cool project!