WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Interceptor Custom Boats - HAVASU!

petie6464

Reaction score
That I believe is the KB model engine building. Not sure what's been in there after that but a pretty nice set up.

These boat shops are never impressive, but at least this one has some syle.

Reactions: DWC

redone76

Reaction score
I could be wrong but it looks like a version of “rapid air”. Looking at that compressing band I don’t think it’s your standard Home Depot pvc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats's cool. Learn something new every day!

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Any chance anybody has an address, shop phone number and an email address?

retaocleg

Reaction score
i spy, with my little eye.........a very good repair guy!........i see you pastoso 👍👍👍👍👍

1628186285574.png

obviously this is not in effect for employment......(i kid)🤣🤣

1628187061886.png

Last edited:

retaocleg

Reaction score
Maybe they like to fix stuff. PVC and AZ heat don’t mix well under pressure
yup........ had that happen at eticket a few years back, glad i was between colors

sounded like a gunshot in a closed building.........

Last edited:

spark2678

Reaction score
My buddy has his Advantage in there for gel repairs.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I was just thinking the same thing

Dave,
Is this the old Next deck that Bob Leach's daughter was making ?

It's just a boat that was in for some repairs.. But yes that is the boat that Bob Leaches son was making.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
And PVC pipe for the air lines!
I could be wrong but it looks like a version of “rapid air”. Looking at that compressing band I don’t think it’s your standard Home Depot pvc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looked like regular old PVC to me? I didn't look that close.

Now I'm gonna throw some real crazy things out here that I hope everyone can pay attention too.. I've had shops that we ran PVC for air lines... Never had a problem! My old shop in Carlsbad had PVC air lines in it for 15+ years.. Never had a problem?

As far as "Heat" and PVC... the building is Air Conditioned. It's not hot in the warehouse.

After all that, I dunno if it's rapid air, pex, or PVC... but I guess the real question is, who cares?

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That is true but there not the only game in town when it comes to service and repairs. Many owners are loyal to the brand and typically that's where they go for service in many cases. It takes years to grow the service and repairs part of the business to keep the business afloat when sales taper off, so how will they attract the non brand owner for their services?

However in my case I use to take my boat to Hallett for service and I never owned one, great boats btw. I simply went there because of their track record and Jim Frisbee.

The shop looks nice I wish them the best...

Well the 2-6 month wait times at every shop in Havasu might help with that.. LOL

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It boggles my mind that Dave even bothers to put any kind of shop tour or positivity about the boating world in the Lounge anymore.🙁

Maybe all the critics should worry about running their own businesses and let this gentlemen run his own business as he sees fit.🙄

Some of the members on here need to get laid.. Some of the negativity that these guys have is embarrassing.

RD

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Some of the members on here need to get laid.. Some of the negativity that these guys have is embarrassing.

RD
I have my moments but I’m trying to turn over a new leaf.😊

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm gonna wrap this up with some more before and afters that were done in a week.

This is the Ultra from Facebook fame.. it was pulled from another shop and sent over here..

The bottom of it was 😳.. for some reason I can’t find the pic.

CAB26167-97D1-40AA-91EB-76390449C887.jpeg
797B4FAA-68F6-4ABF-86BF-BB41887C3857.jpeg

After Pics... Not the before pics were taken on a Tuesday and the boat was pretty much wrapped up by Friday and delivered Monday.

20210804_131527.jpg

20210804_131506.jpg
20210727_080212.jpg
20210804_131553.jpg
20210804_131519.jpg

DWC

Reaction score
They make a great looking boat. I’ve seen this one up close at shows a couple times. Very clean and reports ran very well with a 520. It’s nothing but a good thing for us boaters to have another viable manufacturer and service spot in town.

66CF5B3B-E649-4A34-930B-0AD5D72AB713.jpeg
9356A23D-C762-48FB-B835-E154564725E2.jpeg

Gelcoater

Reaction score
It looked like regular old PVC to me? I didn't look that close.

Now I'm gonna throw some real crazy things out here that I hope everyone can pay attention too.. I've had shops that we ran PVC for air lines... Never had a problem! My old shop in Carlsbad had PVC air lines in it for 15+ years.. Never had a problem?

As far as "Heat" and PVC... the building is Air Conditioned. It's not hot in the warehouse.

After all that, I dunno if it's rapid air, pex, or PVC... but I guess the real question is, who cares?

RD
Were the pvc pipes in your place supplied by a kick ass rotary compressor like those guys have?
I’m no plumbing expert so I have little knowledge of the Pex lines or whatever they are called.
They have bottom drains below their air source outlets so that is good. As long as someone remembers to drain them, lol.
The shop being AC will help some, and it looks like they have a decent dryer.
It really is the heart of any boatshop.
Good to see they went over rather than under on the air supply.
Sure the hose clamps look a little hokey but so what? They can change that pretty easy.

RD
I think some of the negativity comes from the shops past and the Chris debacle.

Some may also come from the hiring and firing of a certain Godfather of the West Coast custom scene.
And the reasons and lack of associated with that chapter.

It’s good to see the company moving forward, and the more players in this custom boat game, the better. 👍

I do reserve the right to be optimisticly skeptical 😎

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Builders of new deck boats and new pontoon ideas are always welcome. Build a good product, and don't be an ass...do those two things and you'll do well. At a time when a 15 year old deck with a 496 can bring more than it was new, it shows people want them.

Not to mention, if nicer stuff comes out new and spiffy, maybe some of the "old decks" will get back to being "used boats"...

Not every damn deck boat is a unicorn!

riverroyal

Reaction score
this shop looks wayyyyyy nicer than DCBs shop and look what they produce.
Ever driven by Conquest, Ultra or Domi8or? Holy crap, junk yards
They make a great looking boat. I’ve seen this one up close at shows a couple times. Very clean and reports ran very well with a 520. It’s nothing but a good thing for us boaters to have another viable manufacturer and service spot in town.

View attachment 1034116 View attachment 1034117
Love this boat. Clean and simple

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Were the pvc pipes in your place supplied by a kick ass rotary compressor like those guys have?
I’m no plumbing expert so I have little knowledge of the Pex lines or whatever they are called.
They have bottom drains below their air source outlets so that is good. As long as someone remembers to drain them, lol.
The shop being AC will help some, and it looks like they have a decent dryer.
It really is the heart of any boatshop.
Good to see they went over rather than under on the air supply.
Sure the hose clamps look a little hokey but so what? They can change that pretty easy.

I think some of the negativity comes from the shops past and the Chris debacle.

Some may also come from the hiring and firing of a certain Godfather of the West Coast custom scene.
And the reasons and lack of associated with that chapter.

It’s good to see the company moving forward, and the more players in this custom boat game, the better. 👍

I do reserve the right to be optimisticly skeptical 😎
Not trying to start anything, just curious how much air pressure does a boat shop usually run in the airlines? Is it something inordinately high?
The picture looks like type A pex and would probably work fine for anything under 200 psi, probably safer than the old sch40 PVC shops that I have worked in in the past.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Ive piped a custom paint shop about 20 years ago with pvc. Only issue is protecting it from getting hit
Pvc explodes, not slow leaks
I dont know if its a code issue, paint shops have other code worries

Pvc is clean. Wont rust and is easily rerouted.
Copper would be great but it should be brazed and purged during or your guns will be fucked.

It should be sch 80, i will say that.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Not trying to start anything, just curious how much air pressure does a boat shop usually run in the airlines? Is it something inordinately high?
The picture looks like type A pex and would probably work fine for anything under 200 psi, probably safer than the old sch40 PVC shops that I have worked in in the past.
That’s a genuine question, you aren’t starting any shit👍
That airless sprayer they have, if at all like airless units I have used in the past, require a minimum of about 100-110lbs, constant.

Add in who knows how many DA sanders, other people spot spraying, the random guy blowing himself off of dust and grime, etc.
I’m not sure “how much” is needed, but the supply center needs to be pumping!
When Elimimator switched from (2) piston powered compressors to one rotary compressor, my air problems were over!
There were a few times before the rotary I had to stop spraying and go out and threaten people with violence to keep air to the booth.

retaocleg

Reaction score
That’s a genuine question, you aren’t starting any shit👍
That airless sprayer they have, if at all like airless units I have used in the past, require a minimum of about 100-110lbs, constant.

Add in who knows how many DA sanders, other people spot spraying, the random guy blowing himself off of dust and grime, etc.
I’m not sure “how much” is needed, but the supply center needs to be pumping!
When Elimimator switched from (2) piston powered compressors to one rotary compressor, my air problems were over!
There were a few times before the rotary I had to stop spraying and go out and threaten people with violence to keep air to the booth.
x2....only my issues aren't over, i had to change how i paint to compensate for lack of air pressure

i've been known to threaten the same, once or twice........

Gelcoater

Reaction score
x2....only my issues aren't over, i had to change how i paint to compensate for lack of air pressure

i've been known to threaten the same, once or twice........
And there you have it, folks.
2 industry gel guys approve of the compressor status. 👍
As far as changing how I spray?
Nope.
Any builder I have dealt with, getting the boat in the mold is priority one.
All hands on deck kind of stuff.
This is an issue that probably won’t happen at this new Interceptor. As long as some of the “newbs” understand that as a mfg, getting the new boat in the mold is top priority on the day it’s going down.
There’s a lot of coin on the line.

Javajoe

Reaction score
I see my buddy’s boat in the pic that just got capped. He pulled his deposit from another builder because they just sat on it. ICB ran with it and he is very happy.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Its evolved.

Gel/ Paint and Grinding still need a ton of steady air.

The small work has mostly been taken over by battery tools. Much easier than dragging a hose everywhere.

HBCraig

Reaction score

View attachment 1034116 View attachment 1034117
I believe I have seen this too. Fully capped? If so, this thing is bitchin

Warlock1

Reaction score
I find it to be interesting that so many owners/GM's overlook AC in a shop. When I ran a manufacturing shop in Florida one of the first things that I did was to get the owner to install AC. I showed him the numbers of what happens on different days and even from morning to afternoon based on temperatures. It was clear to see that when it got hot, production slowed.
Now that I had the proof I provided the explanation. The human body will protect itself at all cost. If it detects an overheat condition it goes into protect mode and slows body functions. This is not something that the guys have control over as it is an automatic function.
Secondly, the guys will have an attitude and rightfully so. It's freaking hot so they spend more time in front of a fan, drinking water or in a lot of cases, energy drinks.
Drinking lots of liquid also requires what? Bathrooms, and with 9 or 10 guys and only one toilet, there was a lot of time lost due to people waiting to use it.
By installing AC we reduced time lost due to waiting on toilet time. Increased production because guys could physically work at pace without overheating. What I felt was the biggest win was the morale. The guys felt like they were important and appreciated. This changed the way they worked and simply produced at a faster rate and when I brought new guys in there was peer pressure to maintain that rate. Along with the build books I made for each model of boat, new guys were able to get to speed much quicker with less direct supervision.
That was the point when the owner let me completely redesign the shop, SOP's and inventory control. We went from build 24 boats the year before I got there to 36 boats the year I took over. Man those were fun times....

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Awesome pictures and the shop looks good!

Thanks for the content Dave!